Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
That's not shocking. They can't just uprez the 3DS version but there's no way the Switch can handle the PS4/PC version without compromises. They're probably going to have to rebuild a lot of the art assets for Dragon Quest 11.

Ravendas posted:

I don't have a Switch yet, but I've been thinking of getting one for my soon to be 4yo that likes to watch me play games. Should I just pick up some bundle from Costco, or should I wait and hold out for some new yet-to-be-announced bundle or new version coming up?

There's both a Pokemon and a Smash Switch bundle coming out next month if you're interested in either of those, complete with decorative elements and access to a copy/code for a copy of their game. Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee might not be the purest Pokemon experience, but your four year old can absolutely use the Pokeball controller to 'help' you catch some Pokemon. Otherwise, just grab w/e tickles your fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, I got problems with Xenoblade, but Rex basically being hilariously unconcerned with the sheer scale of the poo poo he's gotten wrapped up into and just applying trucker salvager code to everything isn't one of them. Especially when the rest of the game is about how minor, personal events in the grand scheme of things caused other people to do massive, terrible things that they later justify with high-minded logic that Rex never bothers to engage with and his interactions with and about the major villains are great because of it.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Every time I leave a room I have to flick the lights on and off 6 times so my wife doesn't die, who the gently caress designed this light switch??

Forget that- who the gently caress designed your wife?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Waffle! posted:

Is there a way to boost an item's level in Diablo? I found a Broken Crown in Act 1, and I can't put it down. It gives an extra gem the same color as what's socketed in it whenever a gem drops in the world. I'm awash in shinies but I've outgrown its stats.

Nope, but if you hang onto the crown and go get Kanai's Cube out of the unique zone in Act III in Adventure Mode, you can break down the crown to equip the 'passive' the the armor slot of the cube and run around befitting from the effect.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Kashuno posted:

How is Diablo on Switch? I haven’t played D3 since the RMAH still existed but I’m tempted to pick up again

e; I should read up

It's a good port. The game is generally stable- running four-deep with effects-heavy classes like the Wizard and Necromancer in Greater Rifts can nip at your framerate but I've got yet to see it go so low it really effects gameplay. It's not the prettiest version of the game (indeed, it's at-best on par with the X360/PS3 ports in everything but resolution) but it plays real good Diablo and portable mode seems to only sacrifice resolution to the portable's 720p to keep that experience on the go.

As for Diablo 3 as a game, it's arguably the best ARPG lootgrinder on the market post-Reaper of Souls, and definitely the best one on a console, forget a console you can shove in your pocket. What it lacks in a decent plot or likable characters outside the PCs and companions it makes up in just satisfying, diverse gameplay across the seven classes and the various enemy types you run across. There's some honest complaints to be had (gear available defining what builds can actually do anything in the endgame, especially the Set items, is probably the biggest issue) but if those aren't dealbreakers then it's worth the dive.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Taear posted:

It's not as good as Grim Dawn or Titan quest and you can get Titan Quest on the switch.
They've sort of kneecapped the character development and how your character changes is quite boring. The actual gameplay is fine but I enjoy the character building and it's a real shame that it's so blah.

I've got a question for D3 though - surely there's a way to cast town portal? If there is I can't find it anywhere and it's getting increasingly frustrating!

The Switch (and indeed, all console ports) of Titan Quest are buggy nightmares that crash when looked at funny and control like your character is made of chunky peanut butter. Titan Quest is a good game but don't buy the console versions, especially the Switch version.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

antidote posted:

My first time playing a Diablo game since the first Diablo. I was surprised by how much the tone has changed, but the game itself is super fun multiplayer.

Yeah. Diablo 2 torpedoed everything spooky and atmospheric about the first game and the 3rd one doubled down on the ‘You vs an obscene horde’ angle while giving no shits about the plot

It’s like the greatest post-2000 arcade beat ‘em up. The trappings are goofy and dumb but it’s fun as hell to grab some friends and punch thousands of demons.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Well I feel like an idiot now. For some reason I thought the Greater Rifts were a lot harder but I hadn't actually done one?? I upped my difficulty to Torment IV after my last post to see if I could deal with it, so my first Greater Rift was level 21 and I did it in... 6 minutes 33 seconds :geno: Welp!

Also it dropped a bunch of legendaries and I thought it was kinda funny how one of the icons looked like Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker and then I went to identify it and it's loving Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker why is it in this game

DIII you generally want to ratchet the difficulty up until you hit the point where 1) poo poo takes too long to die or 2) You're getting two-shot without a defensive cooldown running. and maybe ratchet it down a difficulty lower if you're just passively farming. Most classes will probably start to stall out somewhere between Torment 6 and Torment 9 until they start getting some kind of real build together, and Torment 11-13 is generally the domain of a completed class set (the green-named armor) and some Legendaries that mesh with it, but players skill, class, and Paragon Level can skew that.

And yeah, mix up your Bounty/Rifts/Greater Rifts stuff. In particular, Bounties once you get the unique Legendaries you want out of them (Ring of Royal Grandeur from Act 1 being the most notable, Envious Blade from Act 3/4 is pretty good for farming.) is mostly only needed when you want more of the Act-specific bounty loot for crafting or cubing Legendaries. Rifts tend to be better for Loot Runs in general, and Greater Rifts tend to be better for hunting for specific Legendaries and gaining XP/Blood Shard, plus leveling your Legendary Gems.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, how man of those bones are idiots who went bone > s > x. Or some variation. I'm guessing a lot because those people just double down on their stupid system.

Saving this for when the first hardware refresh for Switch comes out.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

thatfuturekid posted:

Hover is on sale for 12.49, and it’s been on my radar for a while. Worth it??

Hover is a good game but the Switch is not the platform for it. The text in the Switch version is almost illegible in handheld mode and it makes the game pretty unbearable to play. If PC is an option I would take that, otherwise I'd just pass unless you really, really, really need a weird indie attempt at Jet Set Radio in your life.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, when's the last time we've heard a Japanese video game company look at the sales for a major product and go 'hmm, that actually did pretty ok?'

Like, we're almost a decade into comedy news stories about how X publisher is saddened that this game that did 3-5 million in sales didn't do literally Call of Duty/Super Mario levels of sales. The Switch can be on the hottest goddamn streak but that just means the expectations for it are to be at a 1:1 attach rate for all current and future people of the earth.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Travis Strikes Again looks awful and the first two No More Heroes games are so inconsistent in being good games that holding 3 for ransom isn't nearly tempting enough to get my money. They're amazing when they're good, but the space between is... not. So very not.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 30, 2018

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

So, like, is Breath of Fire 2 considered a snes classic? I love it but I'm not sure why it keeps making it into backwards compatibility.

Breath of Fire 2 is one of the better SNES RPGs, especially released from anyone besides the dual titans of Square and Enix. It's translation is... questionable, but the gameplay is strong for the era of RPG it is. Plus unlike BoF1, Capcom published it themselves in the States, so they're free to hand it out to whoever they like for an english port.
Considering both Konami and Capcom are on board, the bigger surprise is what's not on that list- Super Castlevania IV and Mega Man X are pretty high-profile omissions considering that Mystical Ninja and Demon's Crest are showing up.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Burnt Poffin posted:

That event occurs every January, since 2017, so you can do it next year. :)

Kinda odd that it doesn't show up any other time, since there's no events in D3, other than Seasons.

Because if it was always there, nobody would care. It’s not much of an ‘event’ but because it’s there every year they get to put D3 back in the news at least once a year with their clickbait retro event.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Between the lack of other ideas Nintendo seems to have about the franchise, the whispers that there's been another game IN said franchise in the works already, and the positive reception Nintendo got to the old prototype showing up on the SNES Mini, I would think the easy answer here would be Star Fox 2.

(The rumor isn't for a dead and buried game series, just a game that was definitively cancelled- a title that was completely dead and buried.)

Scalebound or MML3 would be cool if they happened, but I have zero idea what's actually going on with the Scalebound IP to know if Platinum are actually able to take that elsewhere (not to mention, Platinum is a very busy company right now already.) Nor can I imagine after MM11 did so well that they'd want to limit Mega Man Legends 3 to one platform if they are going to do it unless Nintendo's financing the project and the Switch version of MM11 sold 3-to-1 to the other versions.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

So I've been playing Moonlighter a bit. Mildly enjoying it so far I suppose.

My main question would be, does this game at some point do something to differentiate itself in a positive way from Recettear? Because at the moment it just feels like that game only with less personality and less involved shop-keeping.

Not really. The biggest failing of Moonlighter is that the shop half of the game is a huge ball of nothing. There isn't much to it and it's almost impossible to have that part of the game fail you. Your enjoyment of the game is going to live or die by how much you're enjoying the dungeon crawling.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

I just picked up Kirby Star Allies and booting it up I unlocked a ton of characters and I just got the Dream Palace, is there anyway to select which computer controlled character my friend's take control of? I'm Kirby but my friend keeps becoming the bomb dude in the second position, but we just got Marx and we want to control him but can't figure out how. Player 1 always has to be Kirby right?

Player 1 has to be Kirby in the main story, yes. The second player can become anyone you've got access to in Dream Palaces, but you only use them as player 1 in Guest Star Mode (after clearing once with a Normal Helper) where they'll be 'locked' like Kirby- I don't think there's any more where P1 can switch around their character freely.

You can ride a Dream Friend to basically play 'as' them, so there's that, I guess.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
It's the same trap people keep falling for because the first trailers look hopeful for this retro revival done by people who've worked on the series in the past.

Thankfully, this time it doesn't seem like they're crowdfunding it so at least they have to put a finished product out in front of people before getting most of their money. (Don't preorder games.)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The saaaaaaaaaaame trap.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah. The real secret to Slay the Spire is that, outside a couple fringe decks you’ll know when you’re in, keep your deck lean and pull bad and low-value cards from it at every opportunity. In particular, junk the basic attack and defense cards ASAP. Enemy attack grossly outscales low-value block cards by Chapter 3, so most builds aren’t going to be using block cards that don’t bring any extra utility or provide silly block values. If your stack is good going into the endgame, think long about pulling more cards and possibly diluting your card quality, especially as Silent as a lot of Silent builds are about stringing sequences of cheap cards together and adding bricks can quickly kill an otherwise strong deck

For the Silent, for survival the basic strategy is about getting Footwork whenever possible and cards that do Block + Thing, like Backflip, Cloak and Dagger, Leg Sweep, or Dash. Try to prioritize getting Weak up unless you’ve got a stack that can just kill a man out of nowhere and just use Silent’s value cards to win through card and energy economy.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Augus posted:

what animal is voltorb based on

Based on it’s height-to-width ratio, your mom.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ka0 posted:

It wasn't a super-seller hit like most expected it. Part of the blame is that both on steam and on PSN it got buried under a glut of other SOTN style games like celeste, chasm, hollow knight or owlboy. The PSN snafu was particularly grating because the shop wouldn't feature it, you'd have to dig to find it as it was also out on the Vita.

A lot of people complained it wasn't exactly challenging or long, and that the item tweaks were largerly useless, while praising the graphic style and music. There's a harder mode and a challenge mode you unlock after beating it once. For being a SOTN-style game it is quite text-expository intensive, and many parts of the dialogue are hard to follow since the developer's first language is Swedish and he wrote the English in himself.

On his twitter he also commented that finishing the game left him mentally drained and had to check himself in a clinic as he drove his mind into the dumpster. Although a sequel is tremendously unlikely at the moment I sure as well would love to see more because the mechanics could lend themselves for a kickass supermetroid-like.

I mean, Iconoclasts kinda got buried in with the retro-styled adventure platformers mostly... because it IS another retro-styled action platformer, and not really a stand-out one. It's very much cut from the same cloth as Owlboy- a game who's development and craftsmanship are far more interesting then the actual game itself, which is a very slow, standard affair that gets in it's own way too often for it's own good, especially in terms of it's storytelling. The amazing thing is that the game exists at all, or is as pleasingly-wrapped as it is. None of that amazement extends to the gameplay- it is pretty standard upgrade-based platformer with some very light exploration and backtracking elements. We've gotten dozens of better designed, more interesting entries into the genre in the ten years the game was in development, and it really shows when putting it next to many of the standard-bearers for the adventure platformer, or even many of it's second tier entries.

It IS a better game then Owlboy, though- in 2008 Iconoclasts really might have been something. It just took too long to show up in a genre that's suddenly gotten a ton of competition as the indie scene blew up.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Bleck posted:

friendly reminder that there is a palpable difference between "this game runs poorly because of the physical hardware's inability to keep up" and "this game runs poorly because it is poorly made"

I mean, this is a pretty clear case of both? Bloodstained’s coding isn’t ever going to be the peak of the craft, but Switch’s track record with UE4 games is... not strong, especially outside AAA developer space. It’s a poorly optimized game trying to run on a potato, so double whammy, Switch Bloodstained is a dumpster fire.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Skeezy posted:

River City Girls has the same feel as the Scott Pilgrim game imo, might fit the bill for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40MRASC-Ndw

I want to have hope for River City Girls, but Double Dragon Neon was the most awesome game you best experienced entirely through MP3 tracks and a Youtube playthrough because the act of actually playing the game was legendarily terrible.

WayForward is such a goddamn hit-and-miss company.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

AlphaKeny1 posted:

i did this and my costume is just boxer shorts
my job skills are staying at home and playing switch on the toilet

When you master Freelancer, you can add the latter skill onto any profession afterwards, but you have to be careful as certain boss encounters will punish you badly for having it equipped.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

people keep saying this and it makes no sense

it doesn't play like an MMO in any way, the structure isn't like an MMO, the combat isn't like an MMO, I guess it kinda looks like one? I love MMOs and thought FFXII would be right up my alley because of how people described it like this, but FFXII has literally none of the things I enjoy about an MMO in it so :shrug:

People have spewed this nonsense for fourteen years now. I think it's mostly from people who haven't played an MMO? Like, I keep hearing it plays like an MMO, but I've never played an MMO on earth that plays anything like FFXII, not even FFXI.

It... plays like a Final Fantasy game, where you can instead of relying on menuing every option, you can set a series of Condition X, Action Y in priority order based on what you think you can do. They rarely hold up on their own in trickier fights unless you tailor them to the encounter (so, the same prepwork that goes into any other challenging FF boss.) I guess the main problem is that it feels like XII was built assuming players would care about the Clan Hunts and Espers and would actually go and do those but it sounds like virtually everyone who complains about the game never went to go do even some of the earliest hunts because that's where most of the more interesting bits of FFXII mechanical exploration comes in. But the main campaign is really simple in comparison, and if you run from story objective to story objective you'll hit a few stumbling blocks here and there but nothing that will challenge you to radically alter your approach.

12's not one of my favorites- I don't think it's a particularly great game- but it's failings are almost never the hyperbolic nonsense people actually spout that's been part of some weird game of game criticism telephone since... god, what'd be the Patient Zero for this? That Penny Arcade comic on the game that came out months before anyone on the staff actually played it? The problem with Gambits is that they expose the greater problem with a vast majority of encounter design in jRPGs in that random encounters just don't MATTER- something they tackled in the very next game in the main series- and remove some of the distraction from some of the game's bigger issues like how weak the core cast of the game is outside Ashe, Vayne, and Vaan, or just how long it takes to go anywhere or do anything in it's big empty levels filled with random encounters you automate your responses to and little else unless you're engaging with the hunts. Or how much more interesting the backdrop of the world is, with all it's colorful races and intermingled politics and clans and judges and this greater war between two colossal nations gobbling everyone in between them up and how dull and boring the Occuria= y'know-the actual plot of FFXII from the perspective of the party- is in comparison to literally anything else in the world (a Matsuno trademark- much like how the War of the Lions is the cool part of Final Fantasy Tactics and the Zodiac Brave Story is the boring stupid stock video game plot you actually wind up dealing with for the back half of the game)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Woozy posted:

It invites comparison to an MMO by virtue of a combat system that consists of auto-attacking while you go for a bathroom break, sidequests that ask you to Kill X Enemies or run around and collect from Y harvest points, a really inexcusable amount of walking from point A to B across vast, empty exterior locales, and generally being really loving boring.

See, this is the game of telephone I'm talking about.

1) I cannot think of an MMO you can go to the bathroom in the middle of even a trash encounter and not come back to a dead character past, like, the EQ1 era. You know what game I CAN put a rubber band down on the attack button, walk away for four hours, and come back to a thriving group of characters? Final Fantasy VI, on the raft. This isn't MMO encounter design, this is lovely jRPG combat design using some MMO UI elements. It's bad, but it's bad in the same way random encounters in Final Fantasies IV-X are also bad. It's bad in the way the random encounters in Dragon Quest 7 or Xenosaga or Shadow Hearts are bad. It's bad in the way your twentieth Zubat encounter in Mt. Moon is bad. This isn't an MMO thing- hell, this is the opposite of an MMO problem, where trash is repetitive not because they're completely effortless and just take time, but because they're JUST hard enough to require action and input and attention, but don't diversify their threat enough to force you to do anything different from the first trash mob you fought to the fiftieth set of trash mobs you fought except maybe that one requires an interrupt at some point. If you hate MMO combat and want to just play some jRPG, then FFXII is exactly what you're looking for.

And as said, that doesn't get you through any of the game's tougher fights. They really should have tied clan rank to story progress somehow to actually get people to interact a little more with the combat system, but it's definitely a black mark on FFXII that you can reach the end credits with a minimum of effort if you can't be assed because they forgot to add much spice to the main story bosses.

2) Sidequests asking you kill X monsters are... not a thing in XII? It pulls it once? Unless you're complaining about hunts, but those are boss fights, not Bear rear end Collection. That's Monster Hunter's influence being felt all the way back in 2006. Go Fetch X Things is something that comes up couple times early in the game, but it's such a stock RPG quest I have no idea why people single out MMOs (or FFXII) for it. You've gathered potions for cows in Baldur's Gate or chased down frogs for swag in FFIX, Gathering cactus on one occasion crosses the line? Like, I don't even KNOW how this became so associated with XII in particular because it's just not a thing.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Octopath Traveller is a fine game that just makes a few really unfortunate decisions about it's endgame. It's a good and breezy playthrough when it comes to playing through a few of the character stories but by the time you've done all 8 you're just going through the motions, yet the gap between what you need to clear the character stories and what you need to be at to have a realistic chance at the true final boss is massive and there's just a gigantic lack of anything meaningful to bridge the gap. It's another of those jRPG things where Octopath is a really good forty hour game that unfortunately takes 70 to see everything it has to show you.

The right way to play the game is probably to pick up all 8 characters, finish the stories you like, and move on to something else before Octopath wears out it's goodwill.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Xalidur posted:

As a counterpoint, the True Final Boss of Octopath was my favorite part of the game.

Oh, the final boss fight is really good. But the gulf between finishing the last Chapter 4 that is actually a fun gameplay experience (after like the third you just wind up steamrolling the rest) and getting to the True Final Boss with a team capable of handling is like five hours of plot cleanup then fifteen-plus hours of grinding and the running the most filler of filler content. It was not worth the cost of time it took to get there.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

LODGE NORTH posted:

Star link is really fun if you’re into Starfox stuff stuff. I think the digital deluxe requires no toys at all but the Amazon promo one requires a toy once every few days or something. I don’t know.

But anyway, yeah, it was a decent 7/10 game, but not being a 8.5+ on the Switch and featuring a beloved character is enough to have it tossed in the bargain bin for some people.

You're probably underestimating how done most consumers are of the Toy Game stuff. That poo poo was deader then plastic instruments before Starlink, and it was never made clear (or really advertised at all) that you could buy the game digitally and get around the whole 'need this dumb plastic tat to play the game' aspect. It was probably two years too late no not be a really hard sell, even if it's the best space-shooting game with Fox McCloud in it in 20 years.

That and... well, yeah. It's a good game, not a great one, and Starlink came out in the same holiday season as Pokemon and Smash so it got completely overlooked. The game's not bad, but anyone thinking it's some overlooked gem or something.... yeeeeeah, not really?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
MUA3 gets much better once you start getting characters will full suites of cost-reduced abilities to play with and start to get to some of the later enemy groups and boss fights, but starting most of the cast below 20 with one or two powers and having no EXP leeching from the back seems like... a bit of a whiff there. EXP cubes help but it still feels bad to want to shuffle my team around but whatever foursome I’d been loitering on is now five levels ahead of the rest of the team and getting anyone else up to speed takes a limited resource.

I’m enjoying my time with it by I totally get why folks aren’t. I’ve been spending time in the Infinity Trials as I’ve worked through the story doing the challenge runs to mess with new faces and get ‘em up to speed, so maybe that’s helping my fun a bit.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

404notfound posted:

I downloaded the game but, having heard all the buzz about the terrible performance, have held off on even launching it until it gets unfucked. Kinda feeling like that's never going to happen at this rate

I would be very surprised if this was a quick fix that they can crank out in a week. The programming in Bloodstained is... unoptimized to say the least (more contrite words might be ‘slipshod’ and ‘failure-prone’ with the number of crashes I’ve had on PC) and even the PS4 Pro and PC versions run into performance issues. The Switch version is very likely going to need more then some asset replacements and fixed code to run better- I suspect entire elements are going to have to be redone from the ground up to run on the much weaker Switch.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Return to camp and use the box unles thats only in world but i dont think so

That actually is only in World. In most MH games you can't change weapons or restock items from camp- you can bring 'ammo' restocks, but it has to be by bringing the craftable components with you.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Twilight Princess is probably a fine game.

I just made the mistake of playing it directly after Okami.

Okami isn't the perfect game by any stretch- the first part goes on for too long, the combat's a couple notches too easy for as interesting a toolset they give you, they run out of steam right as the finale kicks off- but holy poo poo it's design and what it does with it makes the Zelda series post-OoT look lazy as gently caress. Ocarina of Time being a super mega hit might just have been the worst thing possible for the Zelda games that followed because they clung way too tight to that game's formula and design concepts for some fifteen years (barring, weirdly, the game that came directly after it)

That said, I get it Zelda is a lot of gamer's comfort food series. You go, run a bunch of well built (if overly familiar) dungeons, poke around a world looking for places to put your new toys to work, and have a bunch of interesting (in concept) gadgets to mix in with your decent swordplay. I'm a Mega Man fan, I understand. I also understand the critical darling nature of the series- LoZ on the NES or LttP on the SNES is why a lot of these critics got into the business. But the sheer vitriol that spewed out whenever a Zelda game didn't get earmarked at launch for being a new modern masterpiece is just boggling. Especially since until BotW, no main console Zelda game was better then the one before it at least since OoT. Skyward Sword wasn't better then Twilight Princess which wasn't better then Wind Waker which wasn't better then Majora's Mask which wasn't better then Ocarina of Time. Most of these cases are incredibly clear even at launch, and it's not like most of these games didn't inherit the sins of the previous game so it's not like they even get the perspective of being the 'newer, more modern' game- if you had told me Twilight Princess was the immediate follow up to OoT, I'd take a moment to boggle at the graphical leap then just kinda nod my head as I noticed how the game played. Skyward tried the hardest there but it was all waggle nonsense putting an emphasis on improving the swordplay and archery to the detriment of... most of the rest of the game.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Genesis Aladdin has the better base gameplay and is goddamn gorgeous but the level design is such garbage that drags the entire game to the gutter. Everything after the first couple stages is such a chore to play because the stage layout and enemy placement are openly hateful.

While SNES Aladdin is pretty much bog standard licensed platformer, it’s bog standard licensed platformer from CAPCOM, who were at the time the absolute best in the business at what they do. So it was a very, very well build and fun bog standard licensed platformer, one of the best of it’s generation.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

i would also like to hear some river city girls impressions

I'm playing the PC version, so I can't comment on performance (I keep hearing Switch has some hitching) but, through a little past the second boss...

- The base combat is pretty fun once you start keeping in mind that there's enough old school brawler DNA in this game to shift your focus to safety instead of combo video material. Enemies will walk up and interrupt your poo poo all day with hitboxes that largely dwarf yours. You can buy special moves and get a meter you can use for moves to mitigate this somewhat, but especially alone fight scared against multiple enemies or prepare to die a lot.

-That said, death is pretty meaningless. You restart your current screen and lose a quarter of your money. You have to eat poo poo multiple times to before it really starts to feel bad, and that's mostly just because the Dojo is pretty expensive (as for other uses of money, see below...)

- The game is really well animated and funny to look at (the actual script is hit-or-miss)

-The shopping is depressingly boring for a RIver City game. Most consumable items are 'Restore 10% HP' or some variant of that, maybe with a short-term buff tacked on. Accessories and gear are also largely '1% to do a thing' or 'this thing does 5% more damage' and feel VERY meaningless so far. Maybe this improves as the game goes on, but right now I just spend almost all my money in the dojo after buying a token couple healing items to carry around. New moves is where the actual fun is at here.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 6, 2019

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Is river city girls good?

My opinion of it has progressed to 'aggressively mediocre.' The game has a lot of charm and visual flair but it fumbles just about all of gameplay elements to some degree or another. The enemy design gets incredibly hit-spongy, the bosses suck, the shopping never really got any more interesting, the Dojo is a massive money sink for how full of duds it winds up becoming (let me see or test these moves already, Jimmy!), and there's a lot of just baffling design decisions (like how your light attack button eventually does a thousand different things and 'throwing a punch' is at the bottom of the priority list.) It's not as good as RCR Underground and is about on par with Tokyo Rumble, which was also a charming but flawed game. It's not a bad game but I'm not exactly jonsing to dive back in for another go.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Same! I enjoyed the 10 hours of SM more than all the NES games together over the past year.

I'm generally a fan of more NES games then SNES ones, but I can't deny that the SNES offerings on the Switch are already substantially better then the NES ones despite having a year longer and double the titles. Maybe if they'd finally get over shoving Ice Climber and the original Metroid out the door as if they were games anybody wants to bother with and spent more time securing better mid-to-late era NES titles.

Then again, I wonder how much of that is just a lot of the big names of the NES era already throwing their games into their own compilations like Capcom, SNK, and Konami.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Switch games are mercifully small though so you might fit more than you realise. The only really big one IIRC is Smash Bros because of the insane amount of music it has.

Nah, there's plenty of Switch games that hit 20 gigs- DOOM 2016, the Wolfenstein Games, DC Universe, Mortal Kombat 11. IIRC, Smash isn't even in like the top 20 for file sizes, although it's only going to keep going up as more gets added to the game.

That said, MOST Switch games that aren't major releases tend to be pretty small, and compared to PC and especially PS4/XBOne versions of some games they seem downright minuscule. I have a 400 gig card and can comfortably fit my entire digital library of some 60-someodd games on it without much difficulty at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Heath posted:

DQ11's postgame is nuts. Every boss just pounds you into goo. The game was a breeze up til now.

DQ11's postgame is really weird, and it's very very easy to make a mistake and get in way over your head.

Unlike any other part of the game DQXI really, REALLY wants you to follow the critical path for a while without distraction in part 3. Most of the world is covered in side quests that are intended to be done AFTER this, but since the rest of the game encourages sidequesting whenever something is open, you run out into the wide world to get your poo poo kicked in because you're missing gear and levels from possibly multiple dungeons that are considerably easier then most of the other content in part 3 even if they feel like they lead you to almost the final fight before you diverge from it.