Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yeah. That Mandalorian trailer looks really good. It's a very well cut trailer chock full of good stuff. November 12th just got a lot further away, I want to watch it now!!!!

YouTube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOC8E8z_ifw

e.

PunkBoy posted:

Good to know! I've always been more of a fan of the Rebellion era than Clone Wars, but I hear so many good things about Ahsoka so I want to see what her deal is.

Then you're gonna want to watch Rebels all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Jerkface posted:

IG-14 :v:

(Voiced by Taika Waititi!)

IG-14 if he's pro-Empire.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That was very good. I could go for a whole season of 1-3 episode bounty jobs with good cameos. production-wise, this is very well done.

I liked the music, but I kinda wanted more of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enuOArEfqGo

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Jawas are assholes. I have spoken.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Wait a minute, no love for "best bounty hunter in the parsec" ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

This needs to be (possibly) re-posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvGa2c3rEuE

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The Mandalorian.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I also like Palpatine's giant Warhammer 40,000 style life support system that featured a giant arm so he could move around.

That was a high point of the movie for me.

And I say that while rating RoS as a solid 8 or 8.5 and a very worthy conclusion to the whole saga. It had pacing issues early on, but it picked up when they got to the festival and kept getting better. I teared up when Leia lay down to reach out to her son - I knew what it would cost her - and pretty much stayed that way for the rest of the film.

e.

Vintersorg posted:

NTRabbit was right.

Even if that's true, why would you say it ?

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 23, 2019

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That was a great episode. It drew a straight line from the understated trooper banter to the loving Darksaber and earned all it's best moments.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Azhais posted:

Get some fairly unknown up and comer, like Jeeja Yanin

She'd be an awesome casting choice as an unarmed combat badass,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mClqKZl0KEs

Yes, that's Drunken Muy Thai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6JIv4ht8OU

I have no idea what style the lieutenant with the buzz cut is doing, but it's creepy as hell and I'd be intimidated.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 4, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Madurai posted:

The droids eased effortlessly into the faceless mook role, adopting all those humanizing traits the stormtroopers had

I heard two droids in S07E01 talking about what was going on, and one of them saying "it's probably just a drill".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That was outstanding. If they cut it into a movie it'll be the best since ROTJ. Bringing Ray Park back made everything better. The soundtrack was phenomenal. Many of the visual effects shots were among the best Lucasarts has ever done.

I'm a bit gutted, but also exhilarated. 10/10, a fantastic climax to a whole era of storytelling.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pops Mgee posted:

I was fine with them not actively killing the clones until they iced the astromechs. After that happened, heads should have rolled. They got what they deserved.

You saw the graveyard at the end.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Madurai posted:

Even after the gripping stuff in the previous episode, the escape was some tense loving poo poo.

For two characters we know survive, that was an incredibly tense sequence.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Madurai posted:

I think the most important takeaway is that the Republic Y-wing has a shovel as part of its standard equipment loadout. You see Rex putting it back in its bracket as they're getting ready to go.

Warbirds having a good kit of survival equipment is a classic pulp trope.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

teagone posted:

https://twitter.com/RahulKohli13/status/1309229902386913280

Goddamnit, is he joking? He winked at the end. And he's got the Mando music playing. :supaburn:

Or got fired for breaking the NDA. More likely he just got told to shut the gently caress up if he really was cast as Ezra.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

They'd have to re-cast some of the X-Wing pilots, but I now have Expectations about the Rangers show.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Or series.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Cage Kicker posted:

The only way to do a cop show is Reno 911 style and I'm willing to die on that hill

There's no way Disney even considered Reno 911 in space. What I'm hoping for is a relatable group of broken-down Rebellion-Era fighters given badges, X-Wings, and an Outer Rim beat. Not Cops in Space, but veterans of the Rebellion trying to keep their poo poo together and establish the rule of law in the Rim territories that both the Old Republic and the Empire neglected.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Teek posted:

Hoping Rangers is a Nazi hunters show. The time period is right and seems like fertile ground to play in. Could also help set up the First Order, because pretty much only the cream of the crop got the secret invite.

I'm looking at the X-Wing pilots patrolling the Outer Rim and handing out badges as the likely direction they're going in. That gives them a lot of scope from classic Western tropes with X-Wings instead of horses, dealing with former Imperials both one on one and in organized units (imagine a CSA army division setting up shop in Nevada in 1870), and foreshadowing the rise of the First Order. That's a show that could run for years.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

More recently I had a chance to watch the last few episodes the clone wars and Jesus Christ the animation on the last two is fantastic. Also great episodes too.

That was a rare opportunity to go back and produce a coda to a project that was cut short. They made the very most of it.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It’s funny how the prequel movies are not good, but they laid the groundwork for a lot of good spin off stuff that would’ve never have happened, except for the prequel trilogy being made.

Each of the prequels badly needed someone Lucas trusted tearing his early drafts apart and critiquing his dailies, daily. There was a lot of potential left on the table because Lucas could, personally, afford to go into pre-production without a completed draft of the script.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I think we all need to give more credit to how awesome it is that she just takes a big swig of booze and posts up.

Filoni needs to lay off the bringing characters back from the dead schtick before he screws one up. He hasn't yet, and Crime Queen Fennec is just more proof, but he's going to blow one if he keeps it up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Rewatching Clone Wars stuff to get up to the seasons I haven't really seen and between the ending of the Ziro arc being a bit anticlimactic, the Nightsisisters coming up with a stupidly convoluted plan to kill Dooku, the resurrection of Maul, and the Mortis arc I think I've worked out why I stopped watching around the end of S3.

Keep going, that stuff all gets really good. Well, not the Mortis storyline, but after Lucas got them to do it it it gets dropped like a dope beat. The Nghtsisters and Maul stuff all has payoffs that re worth the setup. Maul especially is a great character all the way through Rebels. I'm not saying bringing him back was something that needed to happen, but it did and they did it well.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

galenanorth posted:

"The Zillo Beast", on the other hand, is one of the best episodes so far. It's the first with Palpatine as the bad guy of the episode...

Palpatine really enjoys himself in that episode. Not only does he get to torture a sentient being, he gets to force an ethical, well intentioned scientist to do it for him. He's giving himself mini-vacation to indulge in evil for its own sake, like Dooku letting himself be captured by pirates so he can have a few days off to meditate.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Thwomp posted:

The subtle animation at the beginning when he learns the team still have their chips was really well done. Slightly stand off-ish, slight surprise, and a little fearful.

I appreciate a good "hands near guns but not ON guns" scene.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

This entire season we’ve seen Omega, a preteen, operate a pretty high level of competence. She everything you would want from a 1:1 Jango Fett clone: intelligent, excellent hand-eye coordination, ability to adapt and strategize in stressful situations, and a fight or flight instinct that favors fight. She also has two valuable traits that baseline Jango doesn’t: high emotional intelligence and a natural ability to lead. Jango was a ‘lone wolf’ sociopath and his male clones had to altered to make them good team mates. She may not have Jango’s innate aggression, but a platoon of 18 year old Omegas with combat training would be a helluva force multiplier on the battlefield.

Her strategic talent shouldn't be underrated. There was a whole B-plot about it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

fartknocker posted:

But I Utinni from there…

Not right now you don't.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Everyone posted:

Boba doesn't really care about Mandalore or the Darksaber or The Way. He wanted the armor back because it was pretty much the only tangible link he had to his father. I think in some ways Boba does represent a third way but that third way is more "learn from and accept the past but then build something new."

Mandalorians Going Their Own Way

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Season 2 episode 1 of Mando is my favourite of the bunch, but season 2 episode 7 is hands down the best episode of the whole show.

"To the Empire !"
ZAPPPPP

Goddamn right it is. There's so much good stuff, so much subversion of expectations, making you root for the Empire and then feel bad about it. Another use of the sonic charge. Fennec and Cara sniping fools. It's the episode I've re-watched more than any other.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Larryb posted:

I might check out the 2003 Clone Wars series next.

Do this. Do this immediately. It's two hours of hyper-stylized Star Wars and a really phenomenal lead in to Revenge of the Sith. It's very different from TCW/Rebels, but it's genius in its own way.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That DICK! posted:

i prefer to believe Rise of Skywalker ended about a minute early, and it turns out that lady was a Space Cop working that case for 60 years. "Skywalker? Last person spotted here alive was a boy named Skywalker, fled around the time his aunt and uncle were found incinerated. Couple years before that, a Skywalker killed a bunch of sand people with a lightsaber. You know anything about that? Whats that you've got there?" Last shot is Rey getting shoved into a Tatooine cop car, cut to John Williams music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HO70-Rk3jE

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

babypolis posted:

you can come up for whatever rationalization you want but it seems way more likely to me that they wrote revas character and that vader scene without thinking how they connected to each other, despite the obvious parallels, because this show is poorly made

The better read is that Reva is the only one of the inquisitors who really gets the Dark Side. The others are playing petty bureaucratic power games with an extra veneer of eeeeeevil. Reva is (and I'm going for an Alan Moore deep cut here) pondering how much more effective of a Jedi revealing technique having it rain left hands in Mos Eisley would be. Remember that she's the one who talks to Vader and gets orders while the others don't believe she could even have that conversation. She gets the Dark Side. She doesn't take short cuts. She doesn't waste her time, obstacles like the Grand Inquisitor taste the blade and she moves on.

But she really could have used a shortcut or two to save on the Force Parkour to nowhere. :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Quit having fun really should be the thread title.

Subforum title, it applies to a lot more than just Star Wars.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

tsob posted:

Lucas at least seemed to come up with names by twisting related concepts just a little, hence Darth Icky or what have you, but maybe some of the other people involved over the years have had other reasons.

"Savage Oppress, Sith Courtesy Phone. Savage Oppress, you have a call on the Sith Courtesy Phone."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

stev posted:

The new GoT, Marvel and LOTR shows this month have all been good against all odds so here's hoping.

Also Star Trek; Lower Decks is on now and is great, Strange New Worlds was recent and very good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

Super-into-it-Bell-Guy is the kind of world building that makes these “alien” places feel alive.

That really quick shot of him getting ready to start pounding was brilliant. It turned a background character into a real person inhabiting the universe.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

stev posted:

Yeah that was my assumption too until hearing the More Civilized gang talk about it. I guess there needs to be a form of cash money profit in it or the rebellion won't be able to sustain itself much longer.

The other part of the Rebellion that we've seen, Mon Mothma and Luthen, are trying really hard to finance the Rebellion without people getting caught and shot out behind the chemical shed. drat right it's cash money they heist team is after, Luthen is covering his bases. At some point we'll find out how that money is being spent; Hera and Ahsoka are both characters who could turn up in S2.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I said come in! posted:

If we get an episode with Saw, will we possibly see a younger Jyn Erso?

I will build a shrine to Mickey Mouse, at work, if they give us a solid look at Jyn Erso as a no-fooling, Hotel Rwanda, child soldier.

Narrator: He didn't end up building that shrine.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

teagone posted:

Andor ep was good. Luthen and Saw's conversation being the climax of the ep was amazing lmao.

Episodes 9 through 12 of Clone Wars' final season is cut like a feature film and it is absolutely some primo Star Wars'ing.

Yes and yes. That arc on Clone Wars was brilliant. Andor is the best Star Wars since those episodes and goddamn is it ever good. This episode in particular is a masterclass on how production design makes TV and movies work.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Luthen says it in this episode; he's an anarchist.

Saw is the anarchist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

a sexual elk posted:

Alphabet Squadron, really gritty, great characterizations.

Yeah, that's a great set of books. Compelling characters, good plot, and space battles that I see as X-Wing or TIE Fighter missions, it's bloody obvious that the author played as much of those games as I did. I would have been so happy is SW:Squadrons had gotten a single-player DLC based on Alphabet Squadron. As it is, Squadrons is one of the premier VR experiences, if you have a headset you need to get on that.