Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Crow Jane posted:

I'm all for three of those things, but it really depends on what's in the vape. Does that make me a centrist :ohdear:?

My poo poo lungs would not handle mandatory vapes well so I can't support that platform even with the free ponies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

Make the ponies vape instead.

Bezos could vape for all three of us, I don't want to make my pony do it.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am in PA and we already have a couple inches.

Yeah it's loving ugly outside.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Young Freud posted:

There's possibility is that the accuser had nothing to do with Avenatti and is just claiming to be his live-in girlfriend and it's all just a con by the Wohls. It should be real easy to prove a relationship in this day and age with social media.

Just so I'm not a complete fool, I know Avenatti had a presser when he posted bail but haven't bothered to watch. Has he confirmed that it was his girlfriend or is that from the police report?

I might be wrong but I think he's admitted he hit her but alleges that she hit him first.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Nate takes what he does really seriously and gets kinda salty about people making predictions they should have solid indication were poo poo predictions.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

thegalagakid posted:

How bad will Pelosi caving to the Blue Dogs affect any potential health care reforms realistically? I'm not under any illusions about M4A becoming reality tomorrow, but a lot of these reps are owned by insurance and pharma correct?

She's not going to cave to these idiots at worst she's going to give them a weasel-rear end assurance then ignore them once they've done what she wanted, same as she'd do to progressives trying to hold her up.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Condiv posted:

there can only be one leftist leader apparently and as aoc rises bernie's power withers into nothingness

It's like the Highlander, AOC is going to decapitate Bernie and gain his power.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I'll agree with Hillary that having immigration policies on the books that aren't well enforced does push fascist sympathizers like Hillary Clinton into the arms of their natural political allies, fascists.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This is completely unacceptable.

School system administrators, while well-off and heavily involved in indoctrinating the next generation in communism (good) or counterrevolutionary thought (bad), are not actually the rich, or even very high on the Enemies Of The Workers' State scale.

The students' error is understandable, but they should have eaten merchants, landlords, and moneylenders.

Also do not actually eat rich people, their consumption of the working man's lifeblood makes them likely vectors for disease.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Kuru and other prion diseases are really bad too.

Yeah sadly cooking the rich won't help against a lot of the nastier poo poo you get from cannibalism.

Also feels not entirely compatible with leaving heads on pikes.

I'm willing to agree to disagree on this whole thing, honestly red meat's not really my thing anyway.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Asema posted:

I dated a former military dude who told me that getting pepper sprayed for some military course he had to get certified in was the worst feeling and pain he's ever been in and I think about that a lot when people say that pepper spray is a food

It seems like pepper spray about starts at the heat level of a habanero and goes up from there, so while you could in theory use the level of capsaicin and capsaicinoids in it on food, you would ALSO expect to go to the loving hospital if you touched your eyes while preparing that food.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Which is worse, getting pepper sprayed or tear gassed? Because they seem different.

They are completely different.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 26, 2018

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

How many Rhodes scholars does Mississippi produce that the title of "first female Rhodes scholar" from the university makes more sense than just "a Rhodes scholar from Mississippi"?

They had 25 this year.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

selec posted:

I mean, it's as plausible as any other explanation for her demented loyalty.

Eh Hillary is notable for returning loyalty to an extent that it actually causes her problems because she keeps people around who are total fuckups she should ditch. That and Huma's personal life blowing up and I can totally see her going all-in on Hill Street Blues.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Andrew Jackson: Hero Under Fire. I keep trying to find words but they are all insufficient to express my reaction to that statement.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Bugs Meany could fool Trump. Ol' Donnie would have bought the General Custer Saber inscribed with "First Battle of Bull Run" on it.

(I hope someone gets that joke)

I feel like we need some Encylopedia Orange stories.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

What exactly should we do? This is a genuine question, I assume the answer is “stop all weapons sales and maybe also sanctions” but I see a lot of leftist argumentation against sanctions as a tool and it’s not clear to me why. I know it has something to do with them being ineffective? Or maybe targeting the poor? I see a lot of reference to Iraq in the 90s.

^ :3:

Sanctions definitely 'work' in that they can drive the target country into ruin but the fuckers in charge aren't going to be that materially impacted by it, since they'll just steal even more from their own people to make up for whatever part of the sanctions targets them specifically instead of the country. Not selling them weapons would be a great start. If Trump hadn't re-hosed things up with Iran we could start making noise that maybe we like them more than the Saudis now.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

Is there a thread or book to blue-pill myself on globalization and open borders? Or at least what a successful immigration policy looks like? Because right now I can't shake the idea that it's probably a good thing to get a head count of everyone coming and going into the country

I feel like it's totally reasonable for a country to want to account for the coming and going of people across their borders. The problems arise with people who want to make that coming and going unnecessarily restrictive.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Where we’re going, you won’t need eyes.

If Diamond and Silk are there I'd prefer not having ears myself.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Rigel posted:

They are not agreeing to any funding at all for the wall.

Yeah the funding in question specifically cannot be used to build a wall. It's still going to be squandered harming defenseless people but not in that specific way.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I went to school in America. Please explain.

The majority of respondents say they prefer Remaining over May's Brexit Deal, No Deal over Remaining, and May's Brexit Deal over No Deal. Think of it as saying B>A, C>B, but then A>C. Now this can work at all because it's a ranked preference thing but it's still loving lunatic poo poo.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It sounds like a lot of the dick-tripping is the Kool Kollusion Klub deciding to claim they were not places they provably were. Well and just in general being poo poo at making the sort of misleading but technically true statements you need for the game they were trying to run with Manafort to work.

And yeah people who are conservative can be funny. It can even sort of come up during the humor, because poking fun at yourself is always a thing. For example, Mike Nelson has a book of short things called Mind Over Matters where you see some vague Midwesterny conservatism in some of the topics but they're pretty universally self-directed or clearly just jokes.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 29, 2018

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Meatball posted:

Mike Nelson is a conservative too. He reads new republic and from all accounts is faithfully Christian. He's hilarious.

I think it's the sadly much less common response to being a hokey old-fashioned midwesterner, when confronted with the outside world you make jokes instead of getting outraged.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Seismologists do indeed estimate how much strain energy has accumulated on specific portions of faults. The longer there isn't a major earthquake on that section, the more stress accumulates and the likelier a big earthquake becomes. Sure, theoretically you could release that energy in a billion tiny earthquakes that cause no damage, but that's not plausibly likely.

The section of the San Andreas that would hit LA is overdue based on the historical average time between big quakes, but as you've mentioned that's not a timetable. It's like saying we haven't had a 50-year flood for more than 75 years.

But also, there is a huge amount of strain built up on certain key sections of the San Andreas, that's something scientists can measure, and it's increasing faster than it's being released by small quakes. So in terms of the "pressure" accumulating in the system, the risk is increasing every year that we don't have a big quake.

This is a really dumb analogy, but it's like blowing a bubble with bubblegum, or inflating a balloon. At some point it's going to pop, you might know roughly when but you can't predict for certain. What you do know for sure is that the more you inflate it, the more pressure there is, the more likely it is to burst, the more likely the risk of failure.

edit: so I guess to address this specifically the way you put it, there is kind of a separate store of 100-year earthquake energy. Yes there are small quakes all the time releasing some energy, but the total strain is continually increasing and at some point you're going to need a big quake to release that large store of pent-up energy. Rock is (mostly) brittle, you're not going to have a slow gentle release of energy, you're going to build up strain until you reach the breaking point.

And since the fault's a really complicated system where strain is constantly moving around as each tiny slip and small quake happens. To make things even more annoying, while we can measure 'strain', we don't have any way to translate that into anything more actionable than 'an earthquake is probably getting closer to happening'.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I mean without engineers you never get from 'I got this to work in a lab' to 'now this is a thing that can benefit humanity' and without the people in said labs the engineers just sit around making trebuchets and stills so we can get drunk off our asses then launch things or possibly die horribly when something goes terribly wrong.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

I think the main thing Owlofcreamcheese is missing is that unlike storms or floods, earthquakes are caused by fault systems that are accumulating strain until a big quake releases it.

Volcanoes are the same way, they accumulate pressure until they blow. Unlike earthquakes, though, we can actually predict volcanic eruptions and evacuate people.

Yeah just in general a big part of the earthquake problem is that what we can measure here from the surface is nowhere near enough information to do real time predictions and likely never will be.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Helith posted:

The thing is even with Medicare for All, America would still be able to have private insurance as well.
The majority of healthcare systems are a mix of public and private. The NHS in the UK is pretty unique. Australia has Medicare which all Australians, Permanent Residents and some temp visa holders are eligible to enroll into for free. There are small fees at point of service unless you are exempt. You are encouraged to take out private insurance as well, but here's the thing: private insurance has to be competitively priced otherwise nobody will bother with it and will just use medicare. I believe in most European countries private health insurance costs are capped too.
So your greedy, rapacious health insurance industry will still be able to operate, they'll just need to be less greedy and actually provide the service they're supposed to.

In other words hard pass from the insurance industry on that, they'd rather we all die in a ditch than stop drinking our blood and eating our flesh for even one second.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

friendbot2000 posted:

5.1 Million Pounds of Beef has been recalled due to salmonella

Hmmm...I am going to take a WILD guess in light of the most recent romaine lettuce recall that relaxed regulations had something to do with this. Isn't it pretty rare that the FDA does a recall? Usually its the company that sells the product....

Edit: Jesus Christ. This is an expansion of the recall in October of 6.5 million lbs of beef

It's 'rare' the FDA does a recall because they actually only relatively recently even got the power to issue the recall themselves. They used to have to ask you to do it.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It is legitimately a huge shame that Manchin is so successfully bought out by the money the shambling corpse of the coal industry still has in their decrepit bank accounts because short of Congress outlawing all other forms of energy including forcing poors to pedal on bicycles to generate electricity then burning them for more energy after they keel over coal is dead as loving disco.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I mean back in the day there wasn't an obvious subset of weirdos who were also hurting people because the closest Nazis got to being bold enough to come out in the open were some KKK rallies a couple times a year and they pretty much make fun of themselves. Now we've got the Nazis and Nazi-adjacents and people who are kind of strange but aren't hurting anyone are refreshing potential allies.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

This is totally consistent, Kav's main legal doctrine is 'what is best for blackout drunk frat-party rapists'.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

YOU!

WHERE THE gently caress IS YOUR CHIN?

Literally my reaction holy poo poo it's that one dude from that Preacher made manifest in the real world.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Besesoth posted:

Read the disclaimer carefully.

There is indeed a fun toy surprise inside.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Come on sextuple life + 70, let's get this party started.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Wylie posted:

The single easiest way to piss off a bald eagle is to let it see you trying to reach behind it. They have almost 360-degree vision, and if they lose sight of you in that direction, it freaks them the gently caress out.

It is almost certain that Trump was told that, and he just didn't listen. It's the one thing he needed to know, and it's why the perch was angled on his desk so the bird could see him and the camera at the same time.

Source: I am good friends with the folks that trained Auburn's eagles back in my college days.

I mean fucker won't listen to anyone so of course he didn't listen to how you don't agitate the eagle. It's never given him any negative consequences in the past to ignore everyone, after all. He didn't bother to consider that this time he could've lost some loving fingers because that eagle doesn't give a poo poo that you're rich and powerful.

This is also reminding me of a great image of someone who found the most majestic way to ruin his truck, he was up in Alaska and had a bunch of fish guts in something in the bed and whoops like ten Bald Eagles landed on it while he was in a WalMart or something and they absolutely hosed the exterior between scratching the paint up and monster bird shits.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 14, 2018

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Lol nightmare hellscape Venus still technically exists, owned liberals!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Okay, but let's walk through the scenario here.

Let's say Trump declares that Powell is fired.

Then what. I get that it's illegal, but like, what exactly would happen?

Powell and the Fed would ignore him until he forced them to get a court order to the effect that the action wasn't legal and he should be ignored.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

There's actually only Seal Teams 1, 2, 3, and 5.

So if all of them get captured, the bad guys will keep looking for 4.

I think they legit started using the codename Seal Team Six for exactly that reason but it's totally possible that's apocryphal.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Popehat always seemed like one of those inconvenient allies that people sort of accepted in the topsy turvy hell timeline, sort of like how Rick Wilson exists to endlessly dunk on Trumpers. If we were to ever escape the hell timeline (lol we won't) they can go back to being insufferable pricks that no one likes.

First amendment protections are important and need defending but in doing so you're constantly going to be staring into the abyss of defending people's right to say really lovely stuff and that abyss can't help but stare back.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

If we're lucky he'll go the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh, it's definitely the second one. If there's one thing we can be sure of at this point, it's that Louis C.K. sucks at curtailing his negative impulses, and you're not wrong about it being the end of his mainstream career. The natural progression, though, is that he'll attract a lot of attention from all the usual suspects who think "PC/Shaming culture has gone too far!" and they'll be happy to shovel money into his pockets. I think the only open question is whether or not he's critical enough to realize what's happening and be disgusted by it, or if he's so well-insulated that he can cognitive dissonance his way out of caring that worthless shitlords have become his core audience.

I mean even if you used to find him funny he's always been sort of a worthless shitlord himself so this is sadly probably just a natural progression.