Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Solkanar512 posted:

If you think last night wasn’t a win for the Democrats, you have unreasonable expectations. Nothing was going to be fixed over night and you never stop working. Take a break but it’s going to take a long time to make change last.

My biggest issue with last night is how the it appears the lesson learned by Beto, Gillum, and Abrams' loss is that the Dems need to run more centrist candidates. But centrists lost in Indiana, Missouri, and North Dakota yet no talking head breathed a word of that.

Pelosi and Schumer need to learn that the battle lines have been drawn. There are not enough true independents (most have taken a side, but want to pretend they haven't) or Eisenhower Republicans left to make a difference. What drives victory is motivating your base and a centrist "Republican-Lite" is demotivating. Republicans learned this with Gingrich and later the Tea Party, why can't our leadership understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Hello thread. You might not know me, I'm Al Borland Corp, a limited liability poster. I am from the now defunct Trump thread. I look forward to sharing with you my thoughts, opinions, and insights!

I had a fun time voting in Alabama last night. Every candidate I voted for lost, and every ballot initiative I voted for went the opposite way! Oh man what a silly state.

The Al is short for Alabama, not everyone knows that.

I feel like this is the start of an AA meeting.

"Hi everybody. My name is Old and I'm <deep breath> a D&D'er."
"Hi James."

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Someone in the election results thread was posting that the Florida amendment re-enfranchising felons first the person must repay their court fees. With these fees possibly being in the thousands and the limited employment opportunities for felons, many won't be able to pay to get their vote back.

How legal would it be to have a GoFundMe to pay these court fees only if the person registers to vote?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Austin, commonly believed to be the most Liberal region in Texas, has 6 Congressional Districts (TX-10, TX-17, TX-21, TX-25, TX-31, and TX-35) but only 1 Democrat.

THE ARISTOCRATS!

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

mcmagic posted:

You can't just assume that all the factors that make this race closer this time: the Democratic hatred of Trump and base activation paired with a great candidate at the top of the ticket like Beto. 4% might just be the Dem ceiling.

I wouldn't mind Beto running against Cornyn in 2020, but we also have other interesting options like Castro.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Is there a livestream?

cochise posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/washingtonpost

This is even better with Twitch chat dunking on him

Thanks!

Old James fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 7, 2018

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Z. Autobahn posted:

Except Beto and Gillum lost, and Manchin won, so how is this not disproving your argument

And Donnelly, Heitkamp, and McCaskill lost, so how is this not disproving your counterpoint

Some Centrist Dems lost and some won.
Some Progressive Dems lost and some won.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Yinlock posted:

i'm not sure if "masters of war" is an apt term as mastery implies some sort of proficiency, and they were really bad at wars after starting them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2mabTnMHe8

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Your Taint posted:

Nothing Trump does is good, even accidentally, so please tell me why this criminal justice reform bill is bad.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1062825530091823105

HAHA, Trump is pressing criminal justice reform because he knows his crime family is going down and they will benefit from reform.

The fact it might help others does not play into his thinking.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

GoluboiOgon posted:

things were actually better in the 90s

That chart cuts off too early to make that comparison. The ACA took effect in 2010, so you only have 1 data point to show how fast costs are rising under ACA vs the 90s.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

You could probably create a mad conspiracy theory that somehow he knew OBL's father since they both are in real estate development. And therefore Trump coordinated the 9/11 attacks as part of his 10d chess to become President and eliminate the Libs.

Post that on 4chan and watch the qanon folks lap it up.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

Did Trump pardon a turkey this year?

Well, Chris Christie is running free. So you tell me.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

galenanorth posted:

For me, a proliferation of memes like

also seems like a symptom

"As for the C students, you too can be President."

Provided your brother was Governor of a critical swing state, your father was a former President, and your grandfather was a Senator.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Your Taint posted:

Dude.... Gizmodo. This is rock bottom for Laura Loomer. When even loving Gizmodo is dunking on you.

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1068255146675765248

I hope Twitter doesn’t ask the cops to remove her and she ends up spending the next few days handcuffed to that door.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

"What a tasty burger!" - Samuel Jackson

“I like beer!” - Samuel Adams

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Helith posted:

The thing is even with Medicare for All, America would still be able to have private insurance as well.
The majority of healthcare systems are a mix of public and private. The NHS in the UK is pretty unique. Australia has Medicare which all Australians, Permanent Residents and some temp visa holders are eligible to enroll into for free. There are small fees at point of service unless you are exempt. You are encouraged to take out private insurance as well, but here's the thing: private insurance has to be competitively priced otherwise nobody will bother with it and will just use medicare. I believe in most European countries private health insurance costs are capped too.
So your greedy, rapacious health insurance industry will still be able to operate, they'll just need to be less greedy and actually provide the service they're supposed to.

I am uneasy about allowing the private option, it allows the rich to step outside the system and then they lose interest in maintaining a working public system.

It's like with schooling. If the rich start sending their kids to private schools they stop seeing the public school system as a valuable asset and instead a drain on their wallets. The Betsy DeVos's of the world then try to defund it as much as possible as they receive no benefit and only see the burden on their wallet. The same will happen to healthcare, Republicans will get private insurance and then try to starve MFA till it is worthless.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Your Taint posted:

Holy poo poo that's $750 PER MONTH!! :stare:

Dude's got legal bills to pay.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with his brain tonight?

He knows tomorrow is Mueller time.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah that's is why i loathe driving (and all my friends make fun of me for it). if the roads were just empty all the time i'd have to problem but people are so loving dumb i could get wiped out by some random idiot even if i do everything correctly.

Like this poor soul...

:nms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_xnpfhw5hQ :nms:

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

CODChimera posted:

Is it normal for everyone to just continue driving on?

Forget it, CODChimera. It's California.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

You mean a 32-212 scale

Fahrenheit is a 0-100 scale, but the scale is adjusted to human comfort level. It’s easily relatable, at 0 your skin hurts from the cold and at 100 it hurts from the heat. In between there are so many more units to describe how [un]comfortable it is.

Celsius is detached from the human experience, so it may be better for science but not day to day life.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

The art nun, not the mascot

She had a name you insensitive bastard, it was Wendy Thomas. Her real name is Melinda

R.I.P. 1961 - 2018

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I know this will be a really big surprise we never saw coming, but the corporate plutocracy in which absolutely no consequences are paid for breaking the law is still in full swing:

https://twitter.com/BostonJerry/status/1078739985770209280

Multiple people should be heading to prison for the fake accounts fraud alone, but in this country you can break the law so long as you pay off law enforcement with a heft enough bribe when you're done.

For America’s prosecutors a high conviction rate > justice.

So they are incentivized to plead out tough cases and throw the book at the defenseless

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

SirPablo posted:

Here's how I expect the shutdown to play out.

Jan 3: New Congress. House passes a clean CR (probably for the rest of the FY). Mitch doesn't even bring it to the floor because he knows Trump won't sign it, plus Mitch is a rat gently caress who only cares about the politics of any situation. Shutdown continues. Fun fact, this will cause my agency to cancel its involvement in a major scientific conference for the following week (need to cancel registrations, hotels, etc.).

Jan 15: About two more weeks have passed and no one is budging. Pressure very much mounting on Senate and Trump. Feds on way two missing two paychecks, causing real world consequences*. More agencies run out of nifty budget tricks to try and keep some lights on.

Jan 20: Senate blinks and passes CR. Trump refuses to sign. He out right vetos it.

Jan 23: House and Senate override Trump's veto. Longest shutdown in American history finally ends.

Also lol at anyone that thinks any president can just move money around. That's not how it works.

* Real world consequences include: Federal workers starting to accept bribes, Foreign spy agencies recruiting new agents, talented workers moving to the private sector.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

As others have speculated, this may be his turn into serving up "comedy" for the reactionary right. I wonder if he'll be self-aware enough to get creeped out when neo-Nazis start fawning over him.

I wonder what will happen when the Nazis learn he is half Mexican.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

This is mostly right, but to anyone inspired by this post to watch it, skip season one. I guess it hasn't technically aged poorly because it just always sucked. Seasons 3-6 rule though and 2 and 7 mostly rule.

Counterpoint: Code Of Honor. Season one gets really bad

Yeah, season 1 has lots of bad story lines surrounding Tasha Yar as well as the worst costumes.

Later seasons still have bad story lines around Diana Troi and Dr Crusher, but at least everyone’s stylish.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

I dunno about the first pic, but it looks like Kirk’s about to learn how to do Fus-Ro-Dah in the second one :v:

E: Oh, and Bill Shatner? Also hella racist and has been since the 80s.

He's about to do some snoo snoo in the first one.

EDIT: Trump is brain damaged and the Republican party commits treason on a daily basis.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/BrendanNyhan/status/1082861112192843777

It's like all the fact-checkers simultaneously decided to beclown themselves tonight.

AP FACT CHECK: Historians put the blame for the assassination of Lincoln on John Wilkes Booth. But it takes two to tango. Booth's demand for Lincoln to die is one reason for the assassination. Lincoln's refusal to dodge the bullet is another.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

ReidRansom posted:

Airport gates are crowded enough without a bunch of people who aren't going to be flying milling about. I do remember as a child going to the airport to see my dad off on various business trips and standing there at the gate watching the plane pull back and taxi out, etc., but eh, whatever. It's better now, imo.

Well the crowd at the gates is also a side effect of TSA. Since it takes longer to get through security people get to the airport earlier, so more total time at the airport. Then when they get through they stay put on the gate side.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

:bravo:

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

And they all are Cooley alumni.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

JonathonSpectre posted:

I'm one of the 23% of Democrats who blame Democrats for the shutdown.

In related news, all 23% of us eat wallpaper paste out of a loving jar with our hands and have to be reminded to breathe every 30 seconds or so because we are mind-numbingly loving dumb and most of us will be eaten by ambush predators soon.

It's probably people like my wife's step-grandfather. He's a crop adjuster in the Texas panhandle. He's 90-something, grew up in the dust bowl and became a Democrat following the New Deal. He is a proud racist and, although my wife loves him, I will privately celebrate when he dies.

Oh yeah, when I first met him, he threatened to shoot me if I ever hurt his granddaughter.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

I'm betting foreign spy masters are salivating at the opportunities to come from 800,000 unpaid and demoralized Federal workers.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

eggyolk posted:

This is super late, but AOC progressive tax chat and the whole 70% top bracket thing inspired me to make a visual graph.

Might be better to transpose that so the income and taxes a "trickling down" from the top. Then extend the bars for the additional 170,000 pixels. Additionally, maybe add a second bar next to each group showing the total share of income taxed (cumulative) as the net effect.

Also, I think you have a typo. The groups go 30%, 5%, 95%... I assume the second group was supposed to be 50%?

Otherwise, I like it!

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Someone should merge video of Trump saying/doing awful things followed by the shot of that crowd.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

I hear Wild Bill Hicock's lines in my head after reading every Trump tweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcm4hq_vUOo

Apologies to all the women :(

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Schultz is just a Reagan Republican, who is ashamed to call himself a Republican.

Change my mind :colbert:

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

It's not just Cuomo, a significant chunk of the establishment media seems to have a bizarre hard-on for the guy:

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1090994015091212288

Yeah, the guy who has outlined precisely zero policy ideas has really driven the debate on policy. Sure.

Schultz on AOC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4bftQ4xxFc

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

If the Russians were funneling money to the GOP through the NRA then obviously the next best source to funnel money to them would be through NASCAR. Next thing you know the Russians will be funneling money to the GOP through Bass Pro Shops.

Wait, are Larry the Cable Guy and Jeff Dunham sleeper agents too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

InsertPotPun posted:

You guys remember the time Melania disappeared for a month and no one would tell us where she went?

And one day trump was all "She's fine and healthy look she's in that window there."

But she wasn't.

You guys remember that?

Was she sleeping off a black eye?