Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Steven universe is not in some kind of comfort food feedback loop from fan input.

The episode that just came out? Theres pretty evidence that it was finished and ready to put out two years ago.

And things like the clusters resolution was fine. I'm fine with the resolution being to reason with an entity made of a billion fragmented inhuman minds. not many shows get beyond essentiallizing nonhuman as evil. Not sure what people wanted there, some kind of big laser battle from a marvel movie?

Cartoon Network is sitting on like a years worth of episodes for reasons that no one (including people making the show) understand. The way they pace out the show is terrible. I mean, the way they pace ALL their shows is terrible, but it's more noticeable and damaging to a narrative driven show like Steven Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

me: *trying to re-watch Boxtrolls* genocide is always wrong, but if it ever weren't wrong, it's that there

Jesus, why the HELL are you trying to rewatch Boxtrolls?

I feel miserable just thinking about rewatching Boxtrolls.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really, really disagree with that. One of the most impressive things about the show is how Steven is the team's leader now and it's completely unclear when that actually happened. There isn't one big moment where he matures, he just slowly matures. Honestly, most of the characters have grown in really subtle and natural ways.

I like how the show also always takes time to deal with self-care after big events.

It happened because every basically other gem is dumb as hell. Their entire species is designed for each member to do exactly one thing, and then they are never taught to do anything outside of that one thing. Steven, being half human, had to grow up rather than simply being created and in doing so learn basic problem solving skills.

So, even though his leadership pretty much only consists of things like "Hey maybe don't be assholes to each other?" and "maybe we should try to help these gems that have been turned into monsters instead of just imprisoning them for life, or ignoring them" it still makes sense for the gems to follow the ideas of this fourteen year old kid because, well, at least he has ideas.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Robindaybird posted:

Honestly that's one movie I can see worth remaking, long as they cut the Gargoyles or completely rewrite them so they're not so tonally jarring and ignore the people whining about Quasi not getting the girl.

But I don't have high hopes for them.

Honestly, I'm more concern about how they'll handle Esmeralda since Roma prejudice is alive and still considered not just socially acceptable but Right and Proper in many parts of Europe.

First of all, I agree with you about the gargoyles.

However, I think reducing people's legitimate complaints about Quasi not getting a romantic interest down to "whining" is kind of lovely. Yes, I know Quasimodo not ending up with Esmeralda works better with the story because it's meant to directly contrast how his lovely dad is unable to see women as people, but Quasi is because he's a better, kinder, and more rounded person. However, Disney still chose to tell this story with their only disabled protagonist. In literally every other animated Disney movie up until that point the protagonist had a love interest, but in the one was a disabled protagonist not only was he not allowed to have a romantic relationship, but two able bodied side characters fell in love instead. This wouldn't be so bad if Disney had some other movies with disabled protagonists, but they didn't then and they still don't now.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sir Lemming posted:

Solution: in addition to finding his self-esteem, Quasimodo will also embrace his long-suppressed feelings for Phoebus. Meanwhile, Esmeralda don't need no man.

Also, Esmeralda is elected Prime Minister of France and creates a better society for everyone.

If the live action movie does all, I'll go see it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Looper posted:

there's gonna be gargoyles. gonna be hella gargoyles

If this is a stealth remake of the gargoyles TV show then I'm all for it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

NutritiousSnack posted:

A blu ray of Plague Dogs just came out from Shout Factory, I'm not getting any sleep anytime soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp5mcc47xD8&ab_channel=PsychoRoboMario3000

That is not the direction I was expecting that to go :stare:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Stairmaster posted:

Let's give a shoutout to Dragon ball super which apparently broke some box office records this week with an opening day of 7 million. Maybe it'll outdo the pokemon film in the us?

It's a really good movie. Good characters, good fights, good humor, it's the best Dragon Ball movie ever made.

Every single one of Frieza's lines is comedy gold.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Brick Shipment posted:

While we're on Broly, are we all watching the sub or the dub? I've been exposed to both pretty equally so I'm just going to go with whichever people like more.

Queen Combat posted:

I haven't seen DBZ in probably a decade+, but if the movie's good I'm willing to hit it up. Same question as above: sub/dub?

The one in theaters right now is dub, and it's really good. The sub is good too though. It really does just come down to personal preference. I prefer the English dub myself, because not having to read subtitles makes it easier to focus on the action.

So yeah, I'd say dub.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

God I love this show.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

wdarkk posted:

Honestly Frieza's scenes in Broly are just the best. It's like they're daring Team Fourstar to make a funnier joke.

Funny Frieza is best Frieza.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Vegeta once put a pacifier in his mouth to stop himself from phasing out of existence, and he wasn't embarrassed about the affair until he learned pacifiers are for babies. Vegeta had a 12-year-old son by this point. so he should have known.

Vegeta wasn't around his kid that much when he was young enough to need a pacier, he didn't become a good father who was an active part of his families life until after Goku died the second time.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Barudak posted:

I think GT is also where Vegeta gets roped into taking his daughter shopping.

Basically usually the only good parts of non-cannon Dragonball are "Vegeta: Hapless Family Man"

A lot of the filler episodes where the Dragonball characters are just goofing around and living their regular lives are amazing.

Like that time Goku and Piccolo tried to get their driver's licences, or that time Goku's tractor broke and he went out to find some way to fix it and this ended up happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Rh3nfesHo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Uncle Wemus posted:

Freiza being alive again is weirding me out. Are they going to bring back nappa and raditz too?

Nah, they aren't even close to being as popular as Frieza. Like, when people start writing metal songs like this about Nappa and Raditz then maybe Toei will consider writing a whole movie about bringing them back to life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWtft3POQPs

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

Isn’t that the deal with Dragonball Super? Someone told me it’s basically all that.

Super is a mixed bag (although, personally, I liked almost all of it), but it does indeed have some of the best slice of life moments in the entire series. Highlights include: the baseball episode, anytime Piccolo interacts with his granddaughter Pan, and Goku learning to farm.

Whoever told you it's basically all that is lying though, it's still got all the good old fashion punchy goodness you could ever want.

SolarFire2 posted:

SUper also revives the orignal Dragonball trope of too many tournaments.

True, but the Tournament of Power was one of my favorite arc of all time so I forgive it for that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Same.

Macaluso posted:

What did she do? I don't remember her really doing much of anything in the first two and she was gone for the third one. I'm just surprised by the responses to the tweet where people are super excited about her? It'd be like if they announced Wheezy was coming back

Look, if you have to ask why people are excited to see Bo Peep back and doing stuff and has a cool new outfit then you're never going to understand it.

It's just one of those things you either got emotionally invested in as a little girl in the 90's or you didn't.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Barudak posted:

I dont care about bo-peep, I care about why the toys arent solving the world energy crisis since they dont require energy to operate and why they dont say anything to anyone about the mass genocide of their people.

Big oil brainwashes all toys to be subservient to humans and have no sense of self so that they don't rise up and destroy us all.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Aw geez, lot of mixed feelings about this one.

On the one hand, every time DC has tried to copy Marvel's success with movies over the past decade it's gone horribly.

On the other hand, Batman Beyond is good and I've been hoping for more of it for years.

They probably won't screw this up....right?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Guy Mann posted:

I mean if you want to go off of canon rather than the release order of episodes then Batman Begins began with Amanda Waller injecting Terry's dad with nanobots loaded with Bruce Wayne's DNA to make him conceive a Batman clone and then hired an assassin to kill his parents in an attempt to create a successor to Batman without Bruce knowing.

I hope they retcon that poo poo because it was the stupidest loving thing.

Robindaybird posted:

I am really not fond of that reveal, even if it did lead to one of the funniest lines in JLU. Though I heard it partly came because they realized there was no way Terry's Redheaded and brown-haired parents would've had black-haired kids.

Also, in the future hair dye is illegal I guess.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 1, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Das Boo posted:

Our storyboarder posted this photo to social media ages ago, so it should be fine. I also don't want to omit the other doodles, though:

I wasn't emotionally prepared for this and just burst out laughing in public, thanks for that.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 2, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Aw man, I know I just posted about having mixed feelings about a Batman Beyond reboot, but now that it's definitely not happening I'm kind of sad.

One the brightside, talking about how good Batman Beyond is has inspired me to go back and watch a few episodes. They're good! And just as dark and disturbing as they were when I first watched them as a kid! "April Moon" has a particularly great ending, I strongly recomend it.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 2, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Barudak posted:

I dont care if KFP3 tackled it well, I hate that anything was given to his biological past and I couldnt get past it and with such a dull villain it didnt help.

The name Meimei makes sense but also is really close to naming a male love interest with no other role in the film "Dick" that Im not sure that isnt what they were going for.

It might have been, because the whole thing with Meimei is that she isn't actually Po's love interest: she clearly has a crush on him, but it turns out he doesn't like her that way and by the end of the movie she's already moved on to a new guy. It was a pretty good subversion of the whole "Male member of species instantly falls in love with first female member of species they meet" trope.

Edit:

I just realized I forgot to explain the joke with Meimei's name: in Chinese Meimei can either mean "pretty girl" or "little sister" depending on how you pronounce it. So, the joke is that at first it looks like Meimei is going to be Po's love interest, but he actually thinks of her as a sister and nothing romantic happens.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 5, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Barudak posted:

Yes, but the layer of the joke which is dirty that I was referencing is if you put a "xiao", meaning small or little, in front of meimei its slang for vagina

Ah, I didn't know about that part.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Moon Atari posted:

Xiao mei mei means little sister or little girl. xiao meaning little, mei meaning beauty. Both xiao mei or mei mei can be used for "little girl". Mei mei can also be used to refer to beautiful women, similar to how we might use "babe", however it can be considered derogatory in this context. Not so derogatory that it wouldn't be used as a pet or nickname. For instance, meimei is the nickname Chinese fans use to refer to Taylor Swift.

Xiao mei mei is also used as slang for vagina. But unless there is something to indicate that was their intention, naming a character meimei reads more like referring to her as beautiful. It is the exact equivalent of watching Beauty and the Beast and seeing the character is named Belle and accusing it of being a reference to belle-chose (literally 'pretty thing' but can be considered french slang for vagina).

Thanks for this, langue is fun!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pixeltendo posted:

I look forward to the live action Emperors New Groove that sucks all the vim of the original and turns it one of the chipmunk movies but with a llama

What? No, no please, don't even put that idea out in the world.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Guy Mann posted:

I really love the contrast between how animation people reacted to John K being outed versus anime people and Vic.

People knew about John K for many years too dude.

Robindaybird posted:

It's honestly not really an anime people problem, there are still people who claim Bill Cosby did nothing wrong - what Vic has what John K didn't was an actively cultivated cult of personality (He has a loving discord server for him and his underaged fanbase maintain by his mommy) and a well of Gamegaters latching onto it to try to discredit #MeToo.

Yeah, this is a problem everywhere and it's been going one forever and it's only recently that something is actually being done about it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Argue posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSLe4HuKuK0

I'm all in for Elsa becoming a superhero with her own training montage and Anna learning swordfighting. Now someone just has to give her a keyblade.

I barely cared about Frozen, but this trailer is kind of making me feel excited for Frozen 2.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I think it's going to turn out the winter powers aren't a curse and there's one for every season like in the surprisingly good tinker bell films

Get out of my head, I was just thinking that.

Edit:

Also, from the trailer it looks like a dude might be the one with the Fall powers. The one in the coat who bursts out of the leaves.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 13, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

wdarkk posted:

So Spring has earth powers then?

Or plant powers.

And summer would 100% get fire.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

All the animation on Queen Whatevra is also really fun to watch, it has great motion. Sorry this clip is slightly out of sync but you can see what they were doing with how she moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWGBHLhoTpw

I feel like the animation on Queen Whatevra is worth the ticket price. Her songs are also great.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pigbuster posted:

We need a story where a villain tries to shock people out of complacency and then by next week everyone’s already forgotten about his alien bomb.

Yeah, because you don't really "shock" people out of complacency, you have to put in the effort to actually to change the toxic systems that enabled (or in many cases directly enforced) that complacency in the first place. Show people a better way, give them something meaningful to work towards. The status quo is status for a reason and you can't change it with one big gory modern art performance.

Timeless Appeal posted:

That's kind of the implication of Watchmen's ending.

Pretty much, yeah.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

kefkafloyd posted:

Spider-Verse comes up with the win for Best Animated Feature.

https://twitter.com/SpiderVerse/status/1099859388498509824

this deserved to win, so I'm glad it did!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Timeless Appeal posted:

I only wish I could travel back in time and tell a fifteen year old me sad about Clone High being cancelled that the creators would one day win an Oscar for a Spider-Man movie.

They also made the Lego movie! Dudes are doing great.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is super funny, but I totally understand why it got cut.

From what I've seen of the deleted scenes I really respect how the creators of Into the Spiderverse were willing to sacrifice some really good stuff in order to preserve the overall tone and flow of the movie.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's basically the Japanese equivalent of cartoon fare, but the games have had human ghosts as well as Pokemon ones, a mountain necropolis in Gen 3 where many trainers are explicitly mourning their dead Pokemon, and at least one case in the anime where a long-lived Pokemon is in mourning or denial of its long-gone trainer. (and I'm sure there's been a Pokemon version of Hachiko) It's basically a franchise about superpowered pets, after all, there's lots of room for sentimentality.

There's also a human ghost girl in that one Ghastly episode in season 1.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nikaer Drekin posted:

What is it about Zack Snyder movies that makes weird cranks write up incomprehensible walls of text about them?

Well, in lamps case it's love, but usually it's irritation.

Heck, I myself could probably crank out a few wall of text on all the ways Sucker Punch pisses me off, but this is neither the time nor the place or that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Animated characters aren't generally designed to faithfully resemble animals. They're supposed to be simplified versions - cartoons.

Christ, I forgot how loving creepy the Ga'Hoole owl eyes look.

Fun fact: Owls can't actually move their eyes that way. They're designed to remain stationary inside of the skull and not move from side to side. Which is why owls have such flexible necks, when they want to look at something that isn't directly in front of them they have to move their entire heads.

Something about seeing such hyper realistic eyes moving in such unrealistic ways is so Goddamned unnerving.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Samuel Clemens posted:

Having to move your entire head because you're incapable of moving your eyes seems like a major design flaw on the part of nature.

Not necessarily! Think about the way owls hunt: They're not on the ground looking for prey that's around them, they're in the sky and when you're in the sky the only direction you need to look is down. So, since eye movement isn't really something they need to catch prey, they instead evolved eyes that are basically completely stationary yet give them excellent night-vision and essentially function as built in binoculars.

Owls are really neat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeFxdkaFzRA

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 10, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Brick Shipment posted:

That real rear end owl is wearing mascara and eyeshadow.

Owl make up is on point:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Robindaybird posted:

Ugh, Tim Allen has really gone down the right-wing rear end in a top hat hole the last few years, including claiming his show on ABC got canned because 'he's conservative' when bad ratings is the most likely culprit.

Fox picked it up, so it's actually still running.

Dude's got nothing to complain about, but he's just going to keep complaining and being racist anyway.