Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

I was lukewarm on this strip when you started posting it, but lately it's been winning me over. These are great.

Yeah starting from the one where he laughs at his brother trying to override their mom's orders I think it's really showing the good character touch. I do wonder though if Jamal couldn't easily look his age if someone erased his top-of-cheek and forehead wrinkles in Paint. Or closer to "generic kid age" anyway since his size and body do say "elementary school" but the text says "middle school (just before puberty)."

New Nancy in four words: raised palm, technology reference. (This is in no way, shape, or form a statement of support for Gilchrist.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does the Military History thread know about Surgeon's Tales? I feel like HEY GAL needs to know, stat.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What, did it get chased out of the webcomic thread for sucking too badly and it's trying to find refuge here?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm love that last panel

Yeah that hit exactly the right note of stupid joke for me. BCN good.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kennel posted:

Surgeon's Tales

For what it's worth, the MilHist thread taught me that people of this era believed very strongly in magic and curses and those things absolutely applied in war. Generals who survived multiple battles were rumored to be wizards with anti-bullet magic protections, because how else could a fellow possibly make it through so many fights without being shot? This material here with the monk praying before firing a cannon at a king protected by his magic ring is :discourse:

Also :discourse: is that Jamal where Jamal got in the car so fast he cut himself out of the panel. Nothing scarier than Mom.

And Death Ray, The Upside-Downers would be a choice inclusion. There's a forgotten wonder of newspaper comics history with ready-made grotesques.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Potsticker posted:

Even though sometimes the references seem a bit impenetrable, this comic continues to enchant me.

When earwig bait is discussed among the earwigs it pretty clearly seems to be a direct substitution for alcohol. An earlier strip's joke was a lady earwig singing "lips that have touched earwig bait shall never touch mine," and was a joke because it played off the women's temperance movement slogan "lips that have touched liquor shall never touch ours." Female activists were a big part of the prohibition movement (prohibition of course being in full swing at the time of Dok's Dippy Duck) because they believed banning alcohol would reduce domestic violence. As I recall.

A few strips have focused the gag around "marathons," like one where the duck asks a wheelchair-bound woman what's up and she says "marathon," and one where they see a rich buddy with a nice car that he got "selling foot lotion to marathoners." In the good times of the 1920s a variety of wild fads swept the country, typically originating at universities, including stuff like stuffing lots of people into phonebooths, swallowing goldfish, and, as referenced in Dok's, marathon dancing sessions. Again, as I recall.

There was also one where the duck plays sweet on a lady duck dressed in Egyptian styles. That relates to the opening of King Tut's tomb, which set off its own Egypt fad/craze across the country.

Apologies if you knew all of this but I find it so interesting to see an artifact of the times reflect the history books and lectures. Historical comics are the best thing in this thread because they give us real insight into the past.

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

What's the state of LBGT rights / life in South Korea anyway?

Kennel posted:

Surgeon's Tales

Princess noooooooo

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mikl posted:

Hey folks! I went to my comic book shop of choice today, and guess what I found :dance:

You best believe I bought it :D

People can say all they want about the dominance of English these days, but there's no English translation of Nekonaughey. You're fortunate!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Footroot Flats is proving good. It's a very welcome addition to the thread.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

EasyEW posted:

Dok's Dippy Duck (July 19-21, 1923)

Hardcore.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Curtis is often frustrating because I feel like the writer's just on some completely different wavelength about how comics work. He's got the ability. I think those middle panels are funny for the dopey child-barber visual alone (see also why I can never hate a Sherman's Lagoon strip), and I can see the set-up for a joke germinating in what his mom is saying. Then he just kind of drops it and turns to a warm moment finish with a quarter-joke from the mom. It's like grilling hamburger patties and then mashing them into a meatloaf or something.

edit: actually you know with how the barber strips with their little side gags ("Good Book prequel") and the church lady strips are usually alright to good I wonder if Curtis shouldn't just transform into the barbershop all day every day. It could be about all the oddballs the barber sees come in and Curtis himself could get Castor Oyl'd.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 18, 2019

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

treasureplane posted:

Wash Tubbs (August 6, 1930)

Barney Google (September 5, 1923)

Alley Oop (December 5, 1934)

Oaky Doaks (November 30, 1935)

Dickie Dare (January 13, 1934)

Bringing Up Father (May 16, 1940)

Krazy Kat (May 14, 1936)

Polly and Her Pals (May 15, 1937)

Hey dude, the return of every one of these is appreciated.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (March 3-4, 1972)

Is Popeye a T-1000 now or something?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey, let's not stop with the WW2-era comics posting.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zetsubou-san posted:

Footrot Flats (1976)

Do you know, something great about Footrot Flats that surely comes from being a 70s New Zealand strip about farm life is how it really is about farm life. You see frank jokes about and portrayals of castrations, butchering, hunting, animal breeding* and so forth that would probably never find a home on the same American comics pages that inspired the "dare I draw a Negro?" joke. I feel many people are very disconnected from how food gets to their plates - particularly regarding meat.

None of this is to excuse or lionize agribusinesses or perpetuate a myth of noble, self-reliant, silent-suffering farmers that more or less don't exist in America today (indeed, paying more attention to how food reaches your plate should quickly reveal a number of disturbing truths and spur the learner to seek change). I just find it very refreshing how Footrot is chill and not sugar-coated.

*seriously though Wal it's irresponsible to not have Dog fixed with all those pups he's leaving about

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Esplanade posted:

J. Wesley Smith

Owns. Please continue posting History Schmuck.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

EasyEW posted:

Dok's Feral Duck (June 15-16, 1912)

Can you embiggen these? I hate to think anyone missed Cop Killer Duck here because of the tiny images. Also please stop posting 9CL.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

They're Not Tricks, Nekonaughey, They're Illusions

A wonderful thing about visual gags is not just the way they more easily translate to international audiences, but how the format itself changes joke delivery. This gag here wouldn't be nearly as funny if it were in text and we saw Nekonaughey saying "what on earth OH NO HE NEEDS HELP."

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFFOUkipI4U

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

I admit Andertoons is good.

edit: also check out how Doc's Duck phrases "I'm calling for a streetcar"

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 1, 2019

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Besides everything else Ed's such a worthless tub of lard we have to see him pine for lovely supermarket plastic tray cake and cookies. He can't even be fat right.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

I wish there was more of The Bus.

You know, there is more of The Bus than these threads have seen. While purchasing a physical collection of The Bus (the creator sells signed copies on eBay) I discovered there's a Volume 2 collection containing some more Heavy Metal strips and then miscellaneous Bus strips done for other publications and the creator's own amusement. I haven't purchased it though so as far as I know its contents are still all offline.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Which one of you beggars was posting Footrot Flats and why in Dog's name have you stopped?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

amigolupus posted:

Thanks! :) It's just one of those things that really bugs me.

Yeah he's just speaking in character. Like when a case or two ago Lottie was an incredibly dismissive twerp to a store owner concerned about his business failing for lack of tourist patronage with some crack about "we have purchased one drink between us and perhaps if you are good we shall enjoy a single chip" or something. Just a tactless teenager.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Attention: I have obtained more of The Bus.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Bus 2: Busman Returns

If these phone camera pictures look too bad to accept speak up and I'll try another way.

And don't forget The Bus can be purchased from the creator online! You buy direct from him on eBay and he'll even sign your copy!

The Bus 2 opens with a two-page spread of photographs of buses. I chose not to snapshot that because it's cool and all but it's not Paul Kirchner's illustrations (though it is part of his artistic choice).

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus 2

And we're off!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus 2

Warning: I'll be away for a few days. Second warning: this one owns though.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus 2

Yo where is my Footrot Flats?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

They say "cheers, mate" in New Zealand too, right? Because cheers, mate.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
BCN is trying my patience. I am getting sick fast of even more characters showing up so everybody can make :D faces all the time in a sugar festival.

the bus 2

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 18, 2019

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus 2

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

I really like King Aroo, but I don't have anything insightful to say about it 99% of the time.

The guy who said it has Big Moomin Energy is spot on. It's exactly how you do sweet and charming humor. Also, it's very vaudeville.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus 2

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus 2

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus 2

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Rip Haywire's kind of spinning its wheels. This is like the third or fourth time he's backed off on doing any material with Breezy and a family. And this time makes less sense than the last few escapes from suburbia when he got tired of those jokes because I thought Breezy's whole thing was she was a daring helicopter pilot who was actually a great match for an action man. It does feel very One More Day but probably worse because it keeps happening.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

I'm tellin' ya it's nothing but :D faces!

the bus 2

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
The sketchy art actually doesn't get me like the lettering font does. I cannot see that as anything but Knights of the Dinner Table.

Like any second now Grandpa is gonna tell Huey he's been ambushed by a SWACK-IRON DRAGON.

the bus 2

Apologies for the shaky camera pics. In this instance consider the off-level angles to immerse you in The Bus's state of mind.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus 2