Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm excited to see more Carrie Fisher. I miss her so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Zane posted:

looper, brick, and brothers bloom are all clever and charming small to medium sized films (everyone should go see them!). but they aren't big action blockbuster studio movies which i think is where some of this friction comes from.

Looper owns. I love that movie. Rian Johnson directed what is probably the best episode of Breaking Bad too. Dude's seriously talented, but it's hard to work with Disney and Star Wars and we'll probably never know what really happened there to screw up TLJ... which is honestly still a fine movie with a very weird script and themes. Mark Hamill goofing off on his Jedi planet was fun as heck.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 16, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Horizon Burning posted:

Jyn was going to be more of a radical terrorist type (hence why in the trailers she is in handcuffs when she's taken to the Rebel leaders) but it seems like Disney didn't think that was a good idea.

While this totally happens with every massive iconic billion dollar movie franchise in existence, it's really stupid that all of the Disney Star Wars movies have suffered heavily from executive meddling. Especially Rogue One, where Disney top brass was supposedly extremely unhappy with Gareth Edwards and how the film turned out and ordered extensive reshoots and edits. Which is why Rogue One, while a very solid, highly entertaining movie, feels bizarrely disjointed sometimes. Shockingly, you can't just bring in someone else to reshoot and edit your movie that late in production and somehow hope it works out.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

not just 5 random planets, one of them was apparently the capital of the galaxy. can't scrape together more than a handful of people willing to fight the guys who blew up the capital of the galaxy

The original take was J.J. Abrams going into the Republic's complacency and apathy over the rise of the First Order in TFA and various politics etc relating to all that. But Disney higher-ups felt like that needed to be edited out for who knows reason, which is why the superweapon planet exploding sequence was arbitrary total nonsense, as opposed to legitimately part of the movie's plotting.

TFA has lots of very weird nonsense like that, like how Poe Dameron "dies" and then comes back much later in the movie out of nowhere... because he was meant to die but was very popular in early test screenings, so Abrams was forced to reshoot it at the last minute. Or like how Maz Kanata is barely in the film and was designed to have a much larger role in the plot originally, which is especially bizarre because they have Lupita loving Nyong'o and have barely used her in either sequel movie to date. They even brought her into the studio for extensive mo-cap work for TFA and threw most of it out!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

toggle posted:

Would there even be lady jedis? Are jedis celibate? How more corrupt would the jedis be if there's no access to poon? All the masters would turn a blind eye to all that pumping, no doubt. loving hypocrites

There's been multiple female Jedis in the bad prequels and also good stuff like the KOTOR games. Besides Rey, Leia may as well be a Jedi too since she's highly Force sensitive. Jedis are discouraged from having relationships and children but they never actually talk about strict celibacy and so many of them are legit banging all across the galaxy. Even more corrupt and sexually frustrated than usual.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Big Beef City posted:

Honestly you'd think they'd just castrate the younglings like they did to make those high voiced singers back in the day and save the galaxy the problem of them turning to the Strange side and getting all tangled up, say, in falling in love with the beautiful young queen of a planet, and becoming histories greatest monster when you go full dark side after being driven insane by pain and grief when she dies having your whiny freak show children.
I'm just saying.

This seems like an exceptionally bad idea because Force aptitude is literally tied to emotional strength, which is often fueled by hormones. Then again, Republic era Jedi are exceptionally stupid, so seems like something they would consider.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Lmao!!! It's like Disney is so scared of offending an imagined subset of very weird fans, and thus maybe kind of jeopardizing marketing opportunities, so no romance is allowed ever. Not even when two characters kiss in the previous movie and a major part of the OT is the gradual romance between Han and Leia...

The worst part of this is Finn and Poe never getting together because they have the most on-screen chemistry of anyone in the sequel trilogy.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I dunno. I like Rey and she has some pretty great moments in TFA, especially her weirdly cute interplay with Han and Chewie... but she does nothing at all in TLJ and it's kind of annoying how she's suddenly the strongest ever by the end of that movie for no reason except I guess she has to save everyone??? Daisy Ridley is pretty cool and she plays the character well physically too. But I feel like Rey was supposed to have an actual plot arc but any of her characterization in TLJ was jettisoned by Disney executives in the name of marketing and selling toys/t-shirts.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

happyhippy posted:

There are YT videos showing Rise of Skywalker toys ALREADY being discounted in Target or Walmart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9__PRZbDpQ

Of course. Why would anyone give a gently caress about toys for a movie that isn't out for over a month?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

The only believable part of this alt-right idiot bullshit is Kathleen Kennedy getting fired from Star Wars, but that's just blatantly obvious at this point and I don't need some gross Nazi dude who talks to magical Youtubers to tell me that.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

GABA ghoul posted:

Same thing happened to the game of thrones franchise. At one point they had four spin-offs in development and it was one of the most popular shows in history. Now, after that joke of a final season, it's basically dead. They have stopped production on all spin offs.

They went for a Targaryen prequel (which is allegedly a partial adaptation of GRRM's Dunk and Egg books), the safest, blandest option, because HBO is probably scared people are going to end their subscriptions without GoT... which is hilariously wrong because no one gives a poo poo about the franchise anymore. Even the most die-hard fans hated the ending season, which will go down as one of the worst endings in TV history.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Yaldabaoth posted:

I love how every time Disney offers someone a chance to make their own Star Wars trilogy they poo poo all over whatever they're currently working on and shoot their reputation straight to hell

The weirdest part of this is Knives Out, Rian Johnson's new murder mystery releasing later this month, has near universally excellent reviews from critics who saw it at Toronto International Film Festival... so maybe Disney Star Wars was doomed regardless from nonstop executive meddling and unbelievably awful prioritization of marketing opportunities and toy sales vs. the actual filmmakers who were far less relevant to its endless failures? Maybe so.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Sydin posted:

Disney's underlying calculus for the series was wrong from the start: they bought it because they figured it could be crafted into another cinematic universe with never ending yearly releases to be milked for profit. The problem though is that Star Wars is not Marvel: it has far less material to work from, and what material is there is incredibly shallow. The world building in the OT was about as barebones as possible: there's an evil empire and a plucky rebellion who are black and white morally speaking, there are monks with laser swords who use an abstract form of magic that is only explained in the broadest possible terms, and they all fight until the good guys win. The only things to latch on to as a fan were the core cast (Luke, Leia, Han) and the iconography of cool ship designs and lightsabers. Most people were fans of that stuff, not the Star Wars "world". This is why when Lucas tried to spend time to flesh out that world in the prequels everybody hated it.

For Disney then, anything they release that doesn't touch on the OT characters, iconography, or both is going to gin up gently caress all interest from audiences. But you can only do that annually for so long before it gets stale as hell. With Marvel Disney can always pull out another hero, or another existing comic's take on an already told story, or do a cross-over mash-up of heroes, etc. With Star Wars though they have one story and one set of characters to draw from, and they've seemingly already tapped the well dry.

The primary problem is the writing quality is garbage and the plot arcs in the sequel trilogy are middling are best. Nothing else really matters, even if you're talking about comparisons to the OT and its iconic characters. Like, if Disney hired decent enough people to work on their new Star Wars vision, it would have been fine. But Abrams is fetid trash as a creator/writer and Rian Johnson isn't anywhere near the right fit for a design-by-committee franchise.

Ironically, I think it would have been fine if they gave Star Wars over to some Marvel dudes and let them run hog wild with total freedom on whatever they wanted, because Marvel directors/writers are more than adequate enough for superhero stories much of the time. Star Wars is much, much closer to action-adventure Marvel superhero stuff than actual sci-fi stuff, so that's perfectly fine. Plus you might get insanely awesome weird poo poo like Taika Watiti's Thor Ragnarok sometimes if Disney would relax a bit and let modern Star Wars be its own thing, as opposed to a shadow of the original trilogy.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 10, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
That's like the dumbest thing ever. Leia as a Jedi doesn't even vaguely make sense to her character and what she cares about. She's always had Force ability as part of her lineage, sure, but she intentionally chose not to become a Jedi and would rather leave that stuff to Luke. Leia's a natural born leader... but definitely nowhere near a Jedi. Just a total misunderstanding of the story if that's actually true.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 12, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Also, like, Star Wars characters can be incredibly cool and badass and fun to watch without being Jedi wielding lightsabers. Marvel totally gets it that not every hero in their movies has to be like Captain America, Thor, or Iron Man. Falcon and Shuri are just as cool, even if they aren't the most prominent heroes.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Darth Blazer

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Luke "Dank" Nugswalker

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Vaper the Hutt

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 13, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

The version of Star Wars up for streaming on Disney+ has the Greedo scene revised AGAIN.

https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/star-wars-greedo-han-shot-first-edited-again-maclunkey.html

Honestly this one's an improvement over the past few edits. Assuming "maclunky!" means something like "die, rear end in a top hat!" it finally makes sense why Han and Greedo would then attempt to shoot each other simultaneously.

It only took them 22 years and 3 separate attempts but they finally got it to be coherent. Time amd effort well spent, right guys?

Still have no clue why it was ever changed because Han Solo early on in the movie is absolutely a loving rear end in a top hat who would immediately shoot a fellow notorious space trafficker dude who he's obviously on very poor terms with... and changing that totally blows up Han's growth from morally ambiguous dickhead who cares only about himself to hero of the Rebellion. Plus the original script literally says Han shot Greedo so uh George Lucas is a crazy goddamn idiot as usual.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Colonel Cancer posted:

I don't think those sand people even have a court :shrug:

Wow I can't believe you would smear the name of proud, virtuous Tusken Raiders

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Sydin posted:

So do enough people actually care about Mandelorians to premise a whole TV show around them?

Like yeah Boba Fett was a big deal for no other reason than he had a very well designed costume, and everybody inexplicably built him up as the ultimate badass even though in the OT all he did was walk the Hansicle up a loading ramp, get his gun cut in half by Luke, and then get casually tapped on the back by Han Blindo sending him careening into a pit. Then Lucas tried to live up to that hype with Jango Fett, a literal clone with a worse designed costume who still ends up coming off as a loser chump who continually gets dunked on by Jedi. KOTOR 1 & 2 fleshed them out as an actual race a bit, but even then 90% of the ones you meet might as well be orcs for all the nuance they have beyond tough guy thugs. I think there was also a mary sue girl in one of animated shows who was Mandalore, or something? Is that why people care?

idk just seems weird to me they get so much interest when honestly at least in the material I've seen they kinda suck.

Mandalorian armor is really cool looking, and of course the vast, vast majority of Star Wars fans are interested in a bounty hunter dude in the sweet armor killing people all across the galaxy, especially if he's played by Pedro Pascal. That's like the best possible TV series to start the franchise with.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Randarkman posted:

George Lucas is credited with the new version. My guess is that there's probably something in the contract he made with Disney that only he can make and approve new versions of the original movies.

Word on the street is George Lucas made yet another cut of A New Hope with that scene all the way back in 2007 and there simply hasn't been a new DVD/Blu-ray release (the BD releases are ugly upscales of the 1999 Special Edition) of the movie since then... so naturally that's the version that hits Disney+. Dude is totally loving insane and probably impossible to work with, so I assume Disney was just like "Whatever George, sure. Please never talk to us about the OT again."

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
You gotta assume the one and only reason why Disney hasn't released Blu-rays of the original theatrical cuts is because George Lucas forbid it as part of the Lucasfilm sale because he's a crazy person. Otherwise I can't see why Disney, possibly the most money hungry corporation on this planet, didn't immediately announce they're doing it like 5 seconds after acquiring Star Wars.

But yeah, the Despecialized Editions are quite good and have only improved since I watched them a few years back, but I'd still love to have OT Blu-rays on my shelf because they're a huge part of my childhood and who I've become as a person.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Kazak posted:

Maclunkey is the greedo word for "unnnnngh I'm orgasming hard!"

Dang. Greedo sex must be one hell of a great time.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Burns posted:

Was the greedo and han solo thing even a big deal before george started messing with it? The whole scene is like a minute long.

Lol. Not at all. It's a short throwaway scene showing how rough and lawless Tatooine is and slight characterization of how Han Solo is an amoral murderous jerk before his turn to heroism much later in the movie. Han shoots first was never supposed to be a thing, but George Lucas is bonkers.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

The Walrus posted:

I didnt mind the carbonite. made sense to me that after 6 years the story of Han on Bespin would be galaxy wide legend, and enterprising bounty hunters knew a good thing when they heard about it.

No different than probably what the rise of blaster pistols/rifles was like. Some dude created blasters, so every person in the galaxy quickly gave up traditional ammo for a limitless energy source that penetrates armor and murders your target instantly.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

but blasters suck. blaster bolts are slower than bullets, give away your location, can be deflected by laser swords, and they do less damage than a bullet too. Leia gets hit in the shoulder with a blaster and it doesn't blow her arm off, she doesn't even seem to bleed. it just sort of knocks her over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-NdcWLltXo

Yeah, but you don't need to carry around ammo, which is a massive advantage, and there's very few Jedi walking around with lightsabers compared to bounty hunters, soldiers, bodyguards, regular civilians, etc even in the Republic era. Plus there's zero known Jedi and a single known Sith in the OT. I'll chalk up "less damage" to Leia having main character plot protection. Considering you are literally shooting extremely powerful kinetic energy at your target, there's no way it actually hurts less than a bullet and almost certainly deals far more damage.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

I had a spicy Cuban sandwich for lunch and now I'm going to "blast" some "molten shrapnel" into the office "cargo hold" iykwim

That's no moon...

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

This is so loving great.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Big Beef City posted:

literally nothing could have turned me off worse than you saying this. Gross.

Samurai Jack is really good though and the recent revival season is drat great. Maybe you don't like cartoons with high quality 2D animation and actual artistic expression, which I guess I can understand if you have really bad taste.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 17, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Samurai Jack has won literal Annie Awards and Emmys and has heavily influenced the entire current era of American TV animation but I guess it's just really bad and sucks hard right guys :rolleyes:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

sebmojo posted:

XXL-Wing

:captainpop:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Is no one talking about the 2nd Disney+ edit from Empire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX7cuQ2vnmo

This will never stop being funny. :allears:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Archer666 posted:

*insert gif of Spaceballs: The Flame Thrower here*

Irrelevant marketing like this is so confounding. I went to Kroger a while back for groceries around when TLJ was in theaters and picked up a Dole salad mix of all things that had Rey on the package for some reason and I was like "Why????"

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

i always thought this was silly. all the prequel jedi dress like they are living on a desert planet

Yeah, I assumed when I was a kid that Obi-Wan wore crappy robes because he lived on a crappy desert planet and he wanted to blend in as a faceless old dude... not because that was the official garb of the Jedi??? I was so confused when I saw The Phantom Menace and thought it was the dumbest loving thing. George Lucas is a moron and has no idea how to build a believable setting.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 18, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

skasion posted:

I also think the reception of the prequel Jedi would have been even worse if Lucas had deviated wildly from what the Jedi in the original movies looked like and put them all in shining armor or something.

Why not? The prequel trilogy already takes some massive liberties with what we knew about the Jedi from the OT and it would have honestly been far more believable if the Jedi dressed like knights or almost anything else before the Empire murdered them all. But nope, they just mostly wear the same robes as Obi-Wan in A New Hope...

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Owlbear Camus posted:

There's a great bit in the Auralnauts redubs (pro watch) where the Stormtroopers stop Luke's Speeder in Mos Eisley and observe that Kenobi is dressed like exactly every Jedi they've ever seen but ultimately let him go because "Alright, buddy, if you tell me you're not a Jedi, I have to believe you."

That's because he's dressed no different than most other humans dressed in lovely robes protecting them from the desert sands on desert planet Tatooine and the prequel trilogy is goddamn stupid.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 18, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

QuarkJets posted:

Like it'd be weird if it turned out that Chewbacca is actually a mutant and that most wookies are 3 foot tall hairless gnomes that speak French. Right? Cool but weird

That would actually own and a cool bit of sci-fi strangeness, rather than the predictable reality in the Star Wars universe that every Wookie is very similar tall as gently caress Native American analogues. That's another really stupid part of Star Wars since the prequels (and I guess dumb non-canon EU garbage): How every race in the galaxy has their own planet conveniently conforming to their culture/physiology/etc. Makes the setting feel more like a theme park and less like a real universe, which I guess is kind of by design but it's been increasingly lame ever since Star Wars was more fleshed out after the OT.

I prefer the original trilogy where the other races were ridiculously silly sci-fi action-adventure window dressing. You laughed at them and wondered about their origins, but that type of stuff is better when it isn't explained in exhaustive detail. Why is Chewbacca an 8 foot tall massive beast dude? Because it's weird and cool. The end.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 19, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Empty Sandwich posted:

OK. a friend of mine is generally geeky, but has somehow never seen any Star Wars*.

what's the consensus on viewing order? Machete order? I've discussed this with other giant goddamn dorks, but never expected it to actually come up in real life.

*except the Ewok movies, lol

Watch the original trilogy in its normal order. Watch Rogue One. Stay the hell away from the prequels. Maybe watch the sequel trilogy if they're still interested, but it's very skippable.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

lol why the heck would any race come from a planet that's ill-suited to their culture and physiology, like how would they have developed otherwise?

Because it feels extremely artificial when Chewbacca's race has his own planet, but so does Jabba the Hutt, Mace Windu (literal black people planet), Aayla Secura, and everyone else too. It's theme park bullshit.