Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ5nV9aKthU

Minrad posted:

mmmmmm those are some juicy loving PVP memes

I'm ready to rip and tear my way through some frontlines :getin:

Hah, there's actually an ability named "Draw and Junction" in that Record Keeper mobile game. It comes from one of Squall's special moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

New MCH is :krad:. It's gonna take some time to readjust thanks to muscle memory but so far I'm really liking it.

They've successfully uncoupled the rigid Wildfire/Overheat rotation from your abilities and your damage output, so you really only have to be concerned with making sure you have 50+ heat in the tank before you WF, and then seeing how fast you can mash Heat Blast or Auto Crossbow. It'll also be important to make sure your charged shots and your tools are always on cooldown so you're using them as often as possible and you can benefit from HB's additional recharging effect. Then you do your 1-2-3 while everything else is on cooldown, and summon the Rook at 100 battery.

And man oh man, I love being able to use Spread Shot for free now. Rip in peace, TP.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm lagging behind a bit. Just got to (70 MSQ) the Alphinaud/Alisaie branching questline and unlocked new leves/hunts. I'm liking the gradual introduction to the new areas.

Given the general reactions to the MSQ this time around, I am so happy I'm focusing on that and not letting myself get distracted by side-content (for now). Though I am working on GNB leveling. It's just something extra to do for EXP/poetics when I can't commit time to a roulette.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 3, 2020

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I'm level 73 and just got to the Nu Mou, wow what a good loving expansion. I'm floored by the storytelling already and as an FFXI vet hearing a few people say 'the ending is better than Chains was' is a powerful endorsement considering I'm only mostly ashamed to say that storyline made me cry.

:stare: That's a mighty tall order so I'm really looking forward to playing through this!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

PERSONA

FactsAreUseless posted:

Don't read Reddit

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

I played ARR on release up to level 50 as a WHM, but quit soon after. Feels like a good time to play again because buying Shadowbringers nets you all the other content.

But logging in after all that time is overwhelming, I don't remember anything. My bags are packed full of items and there are quests just all over everything. I don't recall being this lost picking up WoW again after a break.

I feel like starting from scratch is the best option and worry about it later once I get my head around things again.

You don't necessarily have to start all over. If you feel lost, try running some of the early guildhests or dungeons to get a feel for your buttons, go beat up a training dummy, or do the Hall of the Novice. If you don't like the way WHM feels to you right now, go unlock something else you might be interested in and level it up from 1. Really there are better alternatives to wiping your story progression.

#1 thing you should focus on is the MSQ. Do this until you get level-gated (which will take a while since you're 50 and still in 2.x), go do some leveling (Duty Roulette, etc.), rinse and repeat.

#2 is your main job quests. Do them as soon as they're available because they dish out equipment and abilities.

#3 is unlocking stuff via the blue-colored quest markers. You should take these when you come across them.

There's tons of old content that goons will be more than happy to run you through because everyone gets bonus rewards if at least one player is a first-timer.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 1, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

God drat, I'm not even 71 yet and the MSQ has been really engaging.

Also, new MCH is really loving good. Reassembled Drills are amazing. Reassemble works with AoE now so you get a big burst of crit direct hits on a large group. And I love love love being able to overheat whenever and not stress out about wasting DPS.

Rhonne posted:

I've been skipping all the side quests(except the ones that give gear and aether current points) to do them on whatever job I level next, is that a bad idea?

I think that's fine! I've been doing the same thing. I'm saving them for alt jobs and for whenever I get level-gated by MSQ.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Finally got around to doing custom deliveries this week. I totally forgot about the huge EXP rewards! Being level-capped for over a year does weird things to you.

I also took some time to clean up my inventory and retainers. Extra materials going up on the market board, lots of old equipment getting shoved into the glamour dresser... So nice to have all those empty slots again. :feelsgood:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm not even past the first ShB dungeon yet and I am really loving 5.0 so far. The zone themes are probably the best yet.

Giving extra incentives to do FATEs in new zones was smart, too.

OOOHHHH YEAAAAHHHH

This is great.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 9, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is it worth doing the doman reconstruction thing this late out or should I just vendor all these allagan plat pieces I have hanging around.

Do it. It's a very small amount of effort once a week for some extra story/cutscenes, unique items/gear, and an achievement at the end. Allagan pieces are perfect for quickly completing the weekly requirement.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

laHEE

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

I'm stubbornly trying to finish every scrap of ARR content before I move to Heavensward and I finally pug beat The Striking Tree Extreme!

Hope you enjoy building yourself a Zodiac Zeta weapon before moving on to 3.0 and leveling past 50! :v:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hey other MCHs - when are you using Flamethrower? Now that it doesn't add heat, I've only been using it when all of these conditions are true:

- All the following are on cooldown/charging and have at least 10s remaining: Hot Shot/Air Anchor, Bioblaster/Drill, Gauss Round, Ricochet, Barrel Stabilizer
- Under 50 heat
- 2 or more mobs

Basically, it seems like a great filler ability for AoE damage when there's nothing else available.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Squidtentacle posted:

How hard are the Extreme trials synched these days? Is it worth doing that if I want to get cool glamours or just do it unsynched?

If you want glamours, just rapid-fire them unsynced until you get what you want.

If you want to experience what the fights are like synced, by all means, go for it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

I soloed the ARR primals for horses yesterday. It took me at most 5 kills to get a mount, my average was a bit over 2.

So, not significantly I think. At least for ARR.

I just realized I only need Ifrit's horse to finally get Kirin! I should take care of that later.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

79 MSQ reactions and :siren: spoilers :siren:

I'm so happy that I got to punch Vauthry in his ugly-and-then-suddenly-pretty loving face. I was also expecting Vauthry to summon Innocence, not be Innocence himself.

I thought the Exarch might have been G'raha Tia, but I didn't expect that he was also from a bad future.

Coughing up light really hammers in the fact that, yeah, you're gonna be hosed if you don't resolve this conflict ASAP. Calls back to the horrific turning scene from way back in Amh Araeng. You're the Lightwarden right now, which isn't exactly a good look for the Warrior of Darkness...

I expected Ardbert would have played a role in helping the WoL contain the light directly. Instead you're just on borrowed time for now. I liked the pep talk with Ardbert and Feo Ul.

Holy poo poo, Bismarck?! I think this is the first time we've seen the actual living entity on which a primal is based. I would love to see this concept explored further in the future.

I'm really liking the Tempest. The aesthetic, the music... yeah, it's so good.

I finally hit the point in the MSQ where you're gated by the role quests. I'm halfway to 80 so I should be able to finish this off in the next day or two.

So far I've been able to avoid spoilers except for the name of the final boss (thanks, Youtube). But even that's fine because I still don't know what to expect.

Shadowbringers is good, y'all.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

You don't have to do this anymore, he just goes immune until you kill the adds now. Same with Leviathan.

Oh wow, I didn't know they made this adjustment. Makes sense, though; at this point it would be extremely difficult not to overdamage those old bosses unsynced.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh right, something about the final zone that I forgot about until now:

The song makes me think of Zora's Domain, which is very appropriate.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

FFXIV events are great. You can be 100% done with them in an hour or two, tops, and it usually only takes a half-hour to get the unique achievement.

e:

Thundarr posted:

Yeah, most FFXIV holiday events can be completed quickly if you just want the unique items from them. Some have more staying power in the form of a mini game that's actually kind of fun to replay. Farming tradable items for resell after the event ends can be worth some money too, depending on exactly what's on offer (nobody usually cares about housing food items, but a cool looking tree may be worth big bucks 10 months later).

I still have a Bombard Lamp from, like, 2014. I could sell it for a couple million gil if I really wanted, but I want to see how high it'll go.

I also have a stack of Iron Clappers that'll totally be worth something someday you'll see!! :v:

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 7, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

isk posted:

:yokotaro: IN A LIVE LETTER

Yes, yes. Just so. :getin:

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Everybody start thinking about what your giant cat daddy will look like in 2B's skirt and leotard...

Highlady, and she gonna look drat fine.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

MCH is so much fun. I'm really impressed how it nails the overriding design fantasy of "literally be Edgar" with the use and feel of the various tools

using Bioblaster follwed by Flamethrower makes me feel a bit of a war criminal though :ohdear:

It's so good. I've always liked MCH through its ups and downs but 5.0 MCH is definitely best MCH.

Ciaphas posted:

additionally, this is why MCH is good from a gameplay perspective

it also allows to to run and jump in circles like a goddamn jackass while doing full DPS thanks to gamepad controls, which amuses me to no end

And just think - BRD and MCH in 3.0 actually had castbars and had to turret themselves for maximum damage. :barf:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Macros should always stay in the game because then what the hell would Macro Monday even be?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Never gets old.

...I should copy this macro word-for-word for summoning Automaton Queen.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

mol?

UHM ALA

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

2 AM Eastern, okay, I'll allow it.

Any idea what this might be for?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Finally hit MCH 80 last night. Automaton Queen is amazing. It does a ton of damage and it stays out twice as long as the Rook does.

80 MSQ spoilers:

i340 gear for free after finishing the role quest? Yeah, that's awesome.

The descent down from the Ondo village all the way to the hidden city feels very "Final Fantasy final dungeon" and I love it.

I had to log off after taking the elevator down and talking with a Robed Giant. This is insane and I can't wait to see more.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

More 80 MSQ spoilers. I just started the final MSQ.

I'm happy the game gives you flight in the last zone before you finish the MSQ. Also I was worried there wouldn't be an aetheryte in the final region and I'm glad I was wrong.

You share a soul with Ardbert! They did drop hints at that being possible, with the whole "everyone and everything was split into 14 parts" plot point. Wondering if we'll get to meet other Warriors of Light/Darkness in the future...

Reliving the final days of Amaurot? This should be pretty intense.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dear Dragoon questline: why did you make sure a big deal out of getting the Drachen armor, then when I do the quest to get the chestplate, it gives me the wyrm set that drastically outlevels and looks better than the drachen one.

This has been mostly answered, but the job questlines were how you gradually earned your first set of AF gear and the stories were usually written around them. Eventually they added in those upgraded gear chests as rewards to help speed gear progression for new players.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeehaw, the plot is speeding up and -

"go back to the waking sands" for gently caress's sake, AGAIN?

e: this wouldn't be so awful if it were near a crystal teleporter, but noooooo

:siren: PRAY RETURN :siren:

Here's a tip for you: the fastest travel back to the Waking Sands is to teleport to the Limsa aetheryte, then port to the Arcanist's Guild. The ferry to Vesper Bay is right next to the guild.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

RoboJoe posted:

I just did Baelsar's Wall for the first time and the Duty Finder matched me with three people who hadn't done it before too. The amount of shock and surprise in party chat at the final boss introduction cutscene was amazing! We all died to one of the mechanics and had to figure out what to do and got him the next time which which felt fantastic. It's probably the first time I felt I was doing and learning something with other people who enjoyed playing the game and the story instead of rushing through as fast as possible (which is understandable though, it is content multiple years old for most people), so I hope I get to feel that more as I carry on!

The cutscenes after the dungeon though :stare: :tviv: :stare: I can't wait to see what comes next!

Yeah, the post-Baelsar's Wall stuff was pretty :krad:.

Feel free to ask goons for assistance because they won't rush you through cutscenes!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I finished Shadowbringers last night! :toot:

Big ol' spoilers:

Holy moly that final dungeon is insane. Everything is just going to poo poo. The weather is "Termination". The first boss is just nonstop AoEs, the second boss is a giant trash mob and a DPS check before it explodes on you. And then comes that final backdrop of the world burning beneath you and you're in motherfucking space and you can see so many stars and there's meteors raining down and the music is pounding and aaaaAAAAAA :kingsley:

Waaaait what the gently caress? Why did I look like an Ascian all of a sudden? Maybe our souls were from an Ascian that Emet-Selch used to know before the Sundering? I'm intrigued.

Holy poo poo, Hades? Well that's one way to get him in FFXIV.

lol Alphinaud just passes out after swimming for miles

lol Urianger is just floating in the water as the camera fades out

Elidibus is the only one left! Let us go to the moon so we can kick his rear end already!

HOLY poo poo ZENOS IS BACK BABY :black101: FINAL BOSS OF 6.0 CONFIRMED?!

What a wild ride that was. I'm hungry for more MSQ already.

Now I can start leveling other jobs and unlocking all the new stuff!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Veriun posted:

Just finished Susano, probably my favorite boss so far! I usually find it hard to keep up with everything that's happening on-screen in trials, but the field wasn't all that big, the AoEs were all nicely telegraphed and easy to avoid, and everyone clustering together made Cure III amazingly useful. That ridiculously huge-rear end sword and the tank holding it back :eyepop:

It's really fun to do that as a SMN or SCH so you can hold back the giant sword with a book :black101:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I gave myself a little treat and spoiled myself on the E1N boss music theme.

:stare:

I need to unlock this immediately

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Aurum Vale sucks especially with an inexperienced white mage

Never change, Piss Cave.

For what it's worth, I think Coincounter's the easiest boss in there, once you get used to his telegraphs. The others are more annoying because you have to keep eating morbol fruits to clear the bleed debuff before it gets overwhelming.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

nyxnyxnyx posted:

If you are interested in grinding out all the Garo stuff, do note that the limiting factor will not be Wolf Marks, but wins.

You need 30 Feast wins, 10 Frontline wins, and 20 more of either for all the mounts.

Is anyone doing win-trading or are there recommended times to queue for Feast training matches? I still have to do my 30 Feast wins and then hope I can get enough to finish off the final 60-win mount.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Shellman posted:

You can and people have eaten temp bans for this.

Dang, I'll just queue normally then. Hopefully more people will do training matches during primetime.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Slider posted:

I still don't understand how Gosetsu is still alive, he got shot like three times with a pistol and a building fell on him. Yotsuyu as well. Did I miss some dialogue?

He's Gosetsu. That's all Gosetsu needs.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

ignore all these posts about people just wanting extra rewards, they do it because they want to hang out with you!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's true. Goons are friendly and good at FFXIV. Don't be afraid to ask for help in FC chat. The bonus rewards are just icing on the cake.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Huh, cool! That explains why they're so excited by her flipping around with daggers.

Minor spoilers for 2.x in case you're not done with it yet:

She was also the first and only Au Ra NPC in-game, which you discover late in 2.x. Au Ra became a playable race in 3.0.

They did the same thing with Fran and playable Viera in 4.x/5.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just finished 2.3 and could guess from her tail, so this isn't a big spoiler, but thank you for spoiling it nonetheless.

Thoughts on 2.3:

- refugee plot was pretty neat, if depressingly topical.
- this felt like a return to ARR form, so to speak. Like the leadup into Ifrit, it was compelling and paid off in neat character moments + Leviathan himself and his music
- Why does Yshtola pick on Merlwyb but none of the other leaders? They're all engaging in genocide over who can live where with the beasttribes, and yet it's only Merlwyb that gets disapproving looks from this catlady. Also, this conflict integrates poorly with the sahagin village that I've been hanging out in.
- a Lala trying to say 'revolution' menacingly is the funniest drat thing

Onwards!

You're well out of the doldrums now; it only gets better from here. Enjoy!