Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

My guilty pleasure is watching Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares and Hotel Hell. Those series have several bosses/owners who remind me of Chris Roberts.

Often times someone owns a restaurant but can't cook themselves, yet still insists on designing the menu. They put all kinds of dishes there that the owner has tasted somewhere and said "we need to serve this!"

The menu always becomes a bloated incoherent mess that is impossible to cook even for experienced chefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

G0RF posted:

Straight into my veins, baby!

So this is the secret for an eternal scam. The old whales deplete themselves, but a new generation comes along who make fun of the old whales, yet become whales themselves.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I hope SC allows you to settle your crimes out of court by paying real money. Otherwise I won't be immersed.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

There's definitely an issue of graphics vs art direction.

Star Citizen has "lots of graphics" but zero art direction. Everything is just generic and bland. Who cares if the bland looking crates have 30 000 polygons.

Same with Crysis games which the pcmasterrace crowd always praises. Lots of detail, but not really interesting to look at. I much prefer games where someone actually thought about colors and lighting and visual style.

I'm still a big fan of Frontier: Elite II graphics to this day, because it has such an interesting color palette. Blue space and weird purple/green planets.

I'm sure RSI has an art director employed in paper, but in reality CR probably overrules all their decisions and prevents any kind of style to evolve.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The Super-Id posted:

I mean how could you not expect a low frame rate with all of the stuff that's happening there. I'm surprised it's running as smoothly as it is given everything going on in that shot.

Just think how many toilets and their plumbing systems need to be accurately simulated for every one of those ships.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Quavers posted:

:reddit: 300 million $$$ & 7 years in development - STILL ALPHA

:nono: So you finally gave up on fapping to Elite Dangerous after finding out it's just a shallow shell of a game where the devs already gave up on it long ago and you are now looking for something else to satisfy your cravings but because Star Citizen isn't out yet you decided to preemptively poo poo on it because Elite Dangerous let you down or something? :P A bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off.

:colbert: Way to blow your wad early with the Gary Oldman "parrp" face. Res tagged.

:rant: Some ED fanboys have been on suicide watch since Star Citizen got atmospheric planets. I guess spending all these years stuck to a pilot's chair got to some of them. The bitterness and envy is palpable from Area18 to NewBabage lol

:nyd: I like your ED videos alot but drat. Unsubbed.

:reject: Yeah I won't touch ED, too much grind and not enough fun. Delivering boxes in my carrack is 1000000% funner than flying around in a boring-looking ship that can't land on planets

It's always important to keep in mind that these commenters are most likely over 30 years old.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

This one's always wild to me cause like.. does Star Citizen even have atmospheric planets? I mean, it "does" I guess but can anybody tell? Does it make any loving difference except that on some planets you can take your dumb helmet off and like... see some clouds or whatever?

Well, technically the whole universe is underwater in SC.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

There was some talk some pages ago about the orchestral score they are going to do.

I'm 100% sure it will be just like the graphics, meaning it will be professionally recorded and performed, but the actual music will be generic unmemorable themes loosely lifted from every random movie CR has seen.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Agony Aunt posted:

When you try and challenge them on some things they will say they voted for it.

Game taking years to release? Voted for it!

Full planets rather than limited landing zones? Voted for it!

They never actually voted for those things.

Well they kinda voted with their wallets. They kept buying $700 ships after every dumb decision.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Quavers posted:

:eng101: From what I can tell around 10% of those people are no longer with the company. Probably even more.[/i]

Well it's no wonder. The longest I've been to a single company in my almost 20 years of work is 7 years.

Star Citizen will be a multi generation project. Our children and their children will continue to buy JPGs long after we all are gone.

Chris Roberts will be like Hari Seldon in the Foundation books. Appearing every few decades to instruct his followers as a hologram.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Even vintage gifs remain eternally relevant.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I wish someone made a game that took inspiration from Chris Foss and Moebius instead of the generic greeble filled stuff that all games are.
I guess No Man's Sky is kinda Moebius inspired at least in its colors.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So... Homeworld and House of the Dying Sun?

I guess Homeworld fits the bill. It was pretty, but for the most part you just looked at tiny ships from afar.

I hadn't heard of House of the Dying Sun, but a quick google image search looks interesting!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

My favorite recent fantasy is that all of the one-time mechanics like ship skins that they built into one ship as a sales gimmick and dropped forever are not actually dropped, they're just waiting. See it's an alpha so all they really needed was to test the system on one ship, and they've done that! When it gets to beta they'll just flip a switch and boop all the other ships will suddenly have exactly the same level of depth and customization! Why don't they just flip that now and test the other ships? Shut up! gently caress you!

You just don't understand game development. If they flipped the switch then there would be too much game mechanics and players would be distracted and focusing on the wrong things. CIG needs to portion out the functionality so that new features (that come with different $700 ships) are tested properly.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:: "Star Citizen: Calling All Devs - Squadron 42"
With the current linear roadmap, this would mean that progress would seem to be none-existent, up until the final month, where all the tasks and chapters should suddenly be completed.

Yeah. I've done this kind of advanced parallel AAA development on some freelance projects. It means loving around and realizing in panic that the deadline is tomorrow.

The fun thing with Star Citizen is that they have no deadline and can gently caress around eternally.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

lobsterminator posted:

Yeah. I've done this kind of advanced parallel AAA development on some freelance projects. It means loving around and realizing in panic that the deadline is tomorrow.

The fun thing with Star Citizen is that they have no deadline and can gently caress around eternally.

Also how can you have a game 8 years in development and never have anything interesting to talk about?

These people talk in the same way I've talked when I had been loving around on my project and had to sound like things are progressing and fine.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

4. There is nothing special about Quantum Jumps and if that pile of boring poo poo is going to be rated than gently caress off because Homeworld did space jumps in the best way possible.

What do mean with Homeworld jumps? Weren't they just a way to end the mission and load the next? Or was there something else that I've forgotten?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That's the thing though, the mission entrance/exit is way more meaningful and cool if its going to follow/precede a loading screen. All you get to see in the Quantum Jump is blue lines like a cheap Dr. Who knockoff.

Yeah, true. I agree. I just wasn't sure what you meant.

Even E:D jumping and frame shifting gets old at some point. I can imagine how it's going to be like after a week of 5 minute jumps in SC. Or however long they take.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dogeh posted:

I like the way all the green pixels have been turned blue.

There's still some green left in the background. We need to keep funding so Chris has the resources he needs to turn them blue.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

One day there will be junior developers working on Star Citizen who were born after development began.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Is it me or is SC getting uglier? Maybe it's just because of most of the new footage is focused on player characters and interiors.

All the interiors also look like places I'd hate to spend any time in. Generic scifi modular hallways. This game is supposed to be the ultimate escapism for middle-aged office drones, but they insist on making everything look and feel like the dullest places possible.

Even Euro Truck Simulator has nice scenery to look at.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

Did someone say nice scenery to look at?

Can you feel the escapism calling to you?

I hope MSFS2020 adds prison gameplay. If you make an airspace violation FAA revokes your pilot's license and you will need to wait several weeks in real time until you can get a new one. You can speed the process by working in a West Virginia coal mine.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

What if Star Citizen is just a Banksy piece. When the funding reaches a billion dollars SC will go into a shedder.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Quavers posted:

:trustme: May 6th, 2020

AI (Social)
The Social AI Team spent time improving the performance of the Usable Cache Manager. They added the ability to time-slice the main update to make it easier to control the update usage of different jobs, and began using queued physical ray-casting to validate which usable enter/exit locations are available and not blocked by other objects.

I love CIG bullshit walls of text. If you were actually making any progress or had any worthwile plans you could describe then in a good general sense rather than reading out your JIRA tickets.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

That video didn't specify whether a mismanaged company full of junior developers can also achieve that level of visuals. Does Unreal Engine have safeguards to prevent ships from flying away if you attempt to walk on their ramps?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dr. Honked posted:

Do we know what "body dragging" actually is and how it's supposed to integrate with the rest of the :airquote:existing gameplay:airquote:?

Some stealth games like Deus Ex and Sniper Elite have body dragging to avoid alerting NPCs. Since Star Citizen will be the best at every genre of game ever made, it needs to have body dragging, even though the gunplay is just run and gun.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I don't see any mention of prison gameplay in E:D Odyssey. Who wants to play a game where you can just have fun without having to go work in a mine for days.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

colonelwest posted:

I don’t know why a stupid and bad space game attracts this type of person, but it would be hilarious to see a mass exodus of backers over your typical watered down corporate faux-progressive post.

There is no game so they can project all their fantasies onto it. The perfect feeding ground for these kinds of people.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I assume the controller on his lap is only there to provide some crotch vibrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Funny how all they needed to do was walk straight and slow and even that looked buggy and wonky.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Beexoffel posted:

Would this pull the rug out from under Star Citizen space dogfighting?

Nothing can pull the rug from under SC. Even if a game has better dogfighting the cultists can just say "Well, SC is more than just a dogfighting game, it is basically a full virtual life!" because sexy bear has promised them everything that has been asked.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Deadreak posted:

My god, this whole loving Bartender thing is ridiculous. Took me 3 days to animate and designer to script NPC that player can interact with in various ways, yet these guys wasted 3 years on this? This is so depressing.

You didn't have AAAA level fidelity. And you probably had a green pixel.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sillybones posted:

This bartender thing gives a hollow sick feeling. There are people in this project that really do believe that the bartender is going to open up the rest of their AI and make everything start flowing.

When this poo poo gets finished and they look at the spaghetti monster it is..

My prediction is that in 2022 they will add an NPC that unloads cargo, but it will use the exact same animations as the bartender. He will grab a crate like a coffee pot and pour the cargo into a container like coffee.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

DigitalPenny posted:

Hard earned space ship pictures at work.

Id be interested to know if :sandance: cast herself in the movie.

Of course she did.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11686196/

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

And at least she's writing about what she knows. I hope the man who plays Sonny looks like Crobber.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

tuo posted:

Does each engine have it's own cockpit?

That would actually be interesting and wacky, but SC is aiming for lukewarm and generic so not likely.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Does Jorunn get paid by RSI? If not he is extremely sad.

Also those SQ42 clips are looking pretty retro.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

:lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick: :lesnick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Quavers posted:

:reddit: [i]Thanks everyone for helping me complete this array of gameplay mechanics you've been waiting for. This doesn't reflect the complexity of all the features CIG is developing to support these gameplay, but it does give an overview of the way to go.

:laffo:

I'm looking forward to :sever: meshing.