Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Is there an official recipe for the Hairy Roberts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

skeletors_condom posted:

Summary of leaked rental prices:

I think I can see why Chris' venture in the car rental industry was short and unsuccessful.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

no_recall posted:

ITS TIME FOR THE ANNUAL ShitizenConned 2019 Raffle!

Top 3 Prizes: a month of Humble Monthly!

SO. Lets get to it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GUESS THE NUMBER ON THE FUNDING TRACKER BY 1st DEC.

GO.

p/s: Please quote this so I don't have an excuse accidentally exclude your participation.

e: Participation closes the minutes before the Con. Nov 23 1PM GMT. (or when the Stream Begins).

Put me down for $ 264,300,000

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

<Joke about lack of diversity linked to CIG's inability to roll out the Vanduuls and Xi'an>

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
You can just turn the p2w slider down

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Agony Aunt posted:

I mean, maybe there were some people in R* who mooted the possibility of doing the whole US, and someone with brains said "No, because we want to release the product before everyone dies of old age and the tech its based on becomes obsolete."

Or they realised like pretty much anyone sane that the size of the map is not particularly important, rather it's the variety and depth of things you can do.

GTA V on a map ten thousand times larger is not a better game, it's even objectively worse since either you become over-reliant on fast travel mechanics or you spend hours just navigating the map from one gameplay element to the next. If you want to just keep the existing depth and variety of GTA V on the map, you need to make a sizeable investment that ultimately is not going to be a significant improvement - people already don't reach 100% completion of GTA V, so who other than absolute addicts will even care that they have 6,000 street races to complete rather than 36 ? And I'm not even going to touch on the fact that if you intend to have any multiplayer component then all of the above is pretty much moot: Counter-strike has a limitless range of maps created by pretty much anyone but the playerbase has converged on just a small number that are intensively played, while the vast majority probably took more time to create than was spent being played.

Of course, Star Citizen is promising the exact opposite: infinite map with anything you can dream of doing, near-sentient AIs to replace other players seamlessly if you can't find other players... Just support the devs and buy an Idris!

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

quote:

If you want to know what they're testing at any one time, read the forum complaint threads. Easy - what is every getting annoyed about? That's what they're testing.

Server queue testing.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Pilz posted:

So, let's assume that to cut out the 'getting into the ship' animation, we're going to say that you can in fact just teleport yourself into your ship. Because we're going for IMMERSION, we want there to be an in-lore explanation for this - plus, we need a way for people to enter and leave ships during combat - but whatever explanation we're going to make has to also take into account why we don't just teleport ourselves across the galaxy. [...]

With this one decision and a bit of creativity/extrapolation, we have solved multiple problems of game design AND created a principal by which our ship design and lore will be informed. We can create an entire universe from this seed of an idea that's been invented to cover up a bit of 'trickery' and bypass certain technical hurdles. As cheesy as it sounds to say it we've turned our adversity into an advantage. This is what game design is about to me, but I see no signs of such creativity in Star Citizen.

This is the truly fascinating thing for me in this"development". How much effort is spent in execution with no foresight, no design, no vision for how the parts come together to make a whole that is more than the sum of the parts.

They have all the options they can imagine to design a fun gameplay loop, encourage by design a player experience aligned with their vision and capabilities, but they end up with... Well, star citizen.

At this point it's much too late to change course, but it's baffling how badly all the parts fit together, make the game un-fun (almost un-playable) and seem almost in contradiction with the gameplay loops they say they want to build.

Any other stories / ideas like the above I can read to just plumb the depths of Crobbler's ineptitude?

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Chocobo posted:

...The textures of the inside of the spacesuit frost over.

And her neck is attached directly to the frosty material...

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

quote:

list of obviously bullshit technical terms someone put together at the last minute

I'm clock synchronization. It took a team of 6 working for several months to make me, and I'm still only Tier-0, but already so advanced other companies should be begging to licence this tech.

Tier-0: Please connect to the CIG website and carefully synchronize your PC's clock before playing.

Tier-1 (upcoming in ~2 weeeks): the game will automatically synchronize in all clocks in your home to match Universal Stimpire Time when you connect to the 'verse, handle dynamic space-time zone change during your travels and relativistic changes from the great flight model custom built by Chris Roberts!

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

More fun facts here
[/quote]

quote:

@CIG_ChadMcKinney

We have a multithreaded update system for the components in addition to asynchronous and threaded spawning. Our engine is the most multithreaded game engine I've seen, especially on the game code side. If you look at other popular engines like Unreal and Unity their main game loop is still single threaded. Mike Acton is working hard to change that for Unity with the push on the Data Oriented Tech Stack (DOTS) which I'm happy to see, but for now that's more of a growing alternative than the main way that people use their engine.

Can anyone with any experience of Unity/Unreal confirm or deny this?

I'm not a veteran video game developer but both claims (1. CI not G's Cryengine/Lumberyard Frankenstein engine is highly multithreaded, 2. Unity/Unreal are poorly or not multithreaded) don't really pass the smell test for me...

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Wasn’t there an update ages ago where the release notes included “lots of thread synchronization added way more stable yay!” or something to that effect? Because that 100% tracks with having lots of threads with interactions that you didn’t think through. There’s also fantastic odds that it’ll bite you on performance, so it really does sound like a classic CIG “solution”.

So they built their engine around a buzzword / in-hype method and ignored all of the work that showed the limits of this approach, only to try to correct it in the most superficial and least effective manner?

Now that's something I can believe!

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Dr. Honked posted:

Body dragging is in the game now

Fudster, body dragging has always been a core part of the SQ42 experience that will revolutionise pc gaming, I was shown it during a preview tour of the LA office in 2014, it's part of the dev build. Revealing it would however spoil the SQ42 experience that marketing wants to keep under wraps though, but Chris pbuh has said that not only can you drag bodies, but with Tier-1 body dragging we crates, boxes, canisters and barrels will also be draggable.

The item on the roadmap is only optimization of the extremely advanced multithreaded code to account for the updated flight model and switch to Vulkan.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Jonny Shiloh posted:

... and Calder Sr as the sort of rich banker who bankrolls his stay-at-home wife's artisan baking business

At first I read artisan banking business which was strange but seemed to make sense as a sort of weird billionaire wife hobby play-work.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
SC development feels like a reverse cookie clicker game at this point. Less and less is happening despite more and more resources being thrown at it.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Here we see a surgical team operating on a sedated commander.

A healing round passes through the skin’s surface, which scrubs off some of its healing energy....

Edit: Each organ, vein, and testicle will be modeled in real time to double floating point precision.

CI!G promised real fidelity, not arcade shenanigans like surgeon simulator.

Each individual cell and molecule will be simulated in real-time, including protein folding.

In short, as soon as the folding@home project is complete then development will accelerate exponentially.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

colonelwest posted:

I hope I get a huge surprise bill from CIG for real money, if my spaceman has to go to an out of network ER that my space health insurance doesn’t cover. You know, for that extra fidelity.

After a hard week at work as CTO of a fortune 500 company, I like to wake up early on weekends, before my wife and my three kids to indulge in my own personal little treat: Star Citizen.

It's the most fidelitious game ever, set 900 years in the future, with humanity spanning the cosmos at the brink of war with a alien race. Advanced AI makes it truly immersive, so much that is impossible to truly distinguish other players from AI agents; but that's nothing compared to the intricate politics, corporate interplay and social links which make up the heart of Chris Robert's magnum opus.

As I step into my full VR simulation pod in the soundproof basement, my heart races at the possibilities of a new life, forging a destiny beyond the stars with a close-knit coterie at my back and gazing upon impossible vistas - suns rising over moons, asteroid fields being laser mined, desert planets being terraformed so fast each orbit changes the shade of clouds as sands give ways to vast deltas and grasslands ripe to be farmed - I can hardly breathe!

My eyes adjust to the stark light, my headset crackles to life, it's showtime : 'Hello, this is Ryan from Robert's Space Medical Debt collection services, our systems show you are two weeks late on your latest payment...'

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Best drat pencil simulator ever!

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
From a few pages back, but the bit that cracked me up in that YouTube review of SC was when he listed 64-bit coordinate system as as the first of the key techs they are working on which will enable SC...

Yes, their much vaunted revolutionary 32-bit precision is what's blocking SC.

Shazback fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 25, 2021

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

trucutru posted:

I suggest "After Chris" (AC) or "Before Zurovek" (BZ) to help number the years of development.

"Building the Company" and "Active Development".

We have always been in 2 AD.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Does anyone have the chart showing SC's Dev cycle and progress versus console generations, CPU/GPU generations, major game engine generations...

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

skeletors_condom posted:

This is Star Citizen! We don't do no magic storage pods with non-physicalized cargo handwavium.

... He said, balancing on one of the smaller hills of broken promises swept under the rug by CIG.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

no_recall posted:

100% its not going to be a dragon.

But an Idris.

Still too creative for Chris.

Every time a player warps into the area of the moon, a NPC radio communication interrupts everything - "that's no moon !" Then the camera pans through the inside of the player's face and awkwardly clips through the ship to reveal the moon cracking open like an egg! The pieces of shell start to tumble down off the sides as the truth becomes clear: it is a space station as large as a moon!

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

skeletors_condom posted:

Nah, Star Citizen is the perfect zeitgeist of the early 21st century/information age. Its for real, just a bunch of crazy backers getting conned.

Mind, you I don't think the typical spectrum/reddit SC fanboy gives a full picture of the nature of Star Citizen. You also have digital platforms (Youtube) where their business model is designed around facilitating fraud and false advertising (and this is the least of their evils).

The Scam Anniversary is running from Nov 19th to Nov 26th:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18377-Countdown-To-IAE#iae-schedule

Place your bet on many dollars "worth" of JPEGs they will sell during the scam anniversary!

If there is interest, I will throw down 2 good space games and 1 city-builder game I really like.

Just because citizens can't resist round numbers, I'm going for 20,342,739.22 UA buckaroos.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

Games had to be dumbed down to support a controller, rather than have 15 pages of natively supported keybind

:staredog:

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Gravity_Storm posted:

If CIG made Microsoft Flight Simulator:

- Family finance management is an integral part of the game (currently tier 0)
- The coffee machine chat scene is in its seventh year of development
- Accurate mole and vole social interactions, tunneling patterns, speeds and burrow sizes
- Currently nothing to do in flight, but plenty of things are in the pipeline, 90 days tops: serving hairy Roberts, replacing the in-flight VHS tapes as they burn out, unclogging the toilets...
- Over six hundred vehicles - eight planes, three cars, a pair of rollerskates and an inflatable lifeboat are already in-game!

Pity Microsoft lacks Chris' vision.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

skeletors_condom posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18377-Countdown-To-IAE#iae-schedule

Place your bet on many dollars "worth" of JPEGs they will sell during the scam anniversary!

If there is interest, I will throw down 2 good space games and 1 city-builder game I really like.

Didn't see the winner for this, in the spirit of Luminalia, I'll step up and send a jpeg of a game to the winner.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

JFC just make the ramps noclip WHY IS THIS SO HARD

Players already noclip through ramps, though?

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

skeletors_condom posted:

Between the 19th and the 26th of November inclusive, based on the API tracker spreadsheet, Citizens donated a huge amount to the Crobbear's vitamin fund: $10,228,478.22

Our winner, commando in tophat:

However, since in fact the Scam anniversary sale did not end on the 26th, but continued through to the 1st of Dec, the total amount spent on JPEGs was actually $19,687,152.55 , so honorable mention to Thirsty Dog for guessing how much money can be parted from gullible idiots:

@commando, @Thirsty Dog, congrats! Chose a space-themed game of your liking and I'll do my best to get you a copy for the New Year.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

commando in tophat posted:

:lol: I hope chris sees all this new money and decides to restart sq404

Anyway, I don't have PMs and last time I tried giving this forums money both my cards got blocked by my bank, so I'll let it go to second place
Gotta admit I've never heard of Star Citizen having problems getting people's money...
Praise Chris for saving the PC gaming market!

Prize goes to second place guesser Dark Off then:

Dark Off posted:

$11,218,720.
also we are going to hit 400 million dollars soon :toot:

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Incitatus posted:

Will there be a wiping minigame?

Content locusts like you disgust me.

Chris's vision that every single backer solemnly pledged to support is for a game that goes beyond the usual reheated slop served by big publishers.

Wiping will be a complete skill tree and associated profession, with procedurally generated missions backed by a Hollywood-worthy narrative arc.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

monocle cat posted:

an AI that can approximate passing a Turing Test

Yes, a totally normal requirement for video game development, not at all a red flag.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Erulisse posted:

If they accomplish the scale of interaction they are trying to do, this will help move gaming industry years forward.

Can you elaborate on this point?

I feel Star Citizen has promised much, but so far hasn't moved the needle much with regards to delivering on these promises. I'm not a developer / computer toucher though so perhaps I'm mistaken in this respect. My perception is that conceptualizing is the easy part and should be given less weight than what they have actually implemented. Tony Z. (and some citizens) have talked at length about the incredible 'quanta' system which will deliver AI that is both computationally efficient, persistent, capable of passing a Turing test in an open-ended video game, and many other notions I'm omitting for clarity. For years though, the game's AI has been lackluster - NPCs barely do anything and have a very limited range of interactions and there's no risk of mistaking one for a player. CIG employees and citizens are quick to point out that the 'quanta' AI is not available / working as intended / only in the secret dev build on an airgapped server because some other feature is missing (e.g., server meshing, persistence, etc.) or because it's so great they want it to be a key launch feature for the game that nobody can see before. It's difficult for me to reconcile Star Citizen's track record and the notion that they are on the cusp of redefining the industry.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

quote:

I said (to somewhat paraphrase) you can do the picking up your refined ore and taking it to market and selling it thing in 40 minutes.

At last, a game that doesn't cater to the casuals.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

monocle cat posted:

some drivel about hatchlings

We can safely add birds to this cat's encyclopedic lack of knowledge.

Also I wonder what a CIG game jam would be like...

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Pixelate posted:

This random post on Hacker News talked about the poly-count thing again recently. No idea if it's legit

This is exactly why they'll never finish:

• No design document / target vision
  • Unchecked scope creep
  • A fundamental misconception that technical constraints (engine, performance, etc.) can be solved by faster / better hardware
  • No understanding of dependencies (e.g. that if a better engine is available they should switch to it)
  • The idea there's a "challenge" or something with consoles
  • Weird "realism" / "fidelity" fetichism
  • Deficient project organisation, with people's work chucked out "to try a different approach"...
  • Quantity of employees over working processes and clearly defined scopes of work

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
:crobear: "there's no way we're designing solar systems in Flash"

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

quote:

What if I told your big brain that it is actually awe inspiring to build a triple AAA studio from a handful of people to ~600 within 10 years - that NO OTHER AAA studio has done that, ever.

This argument is the one I find hardest to understand.

Is CIG some sort of jobs program? Is hiring people hard? Would a company with 20 devs be somehow better if they hired 10 people to sit in front of a computer all day and not touch it? How about if we fire 10 devs and hire 20 community managers?

At first this argument sounded like it was just a way to deflect or justify slow progress, but recently I feel like it's become an achievement in itself for some citizens...

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
SQ42 progress is blocked until Mark and Gary return to the mocap studio for additional pizza interaction animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

monocle cat posted:

The first contact between the Banu and humans is an interesting story. A criminal Banu was on the run from the Banu Protectorate and he strayed (alone) into a system where humans were. The Earthling ship started firing upon the Banu Merchantman but it didn't fire back, didn't launch it's Defender and didn't try to run away - it just waited for the Earthling to give up and then made a radio call. That tells you a lot about the confidence they had in their Banu Merchantman.

This is so incredibly stupid that I feel more stupid for having read it.

First of all -- this is the first contact? They didn't notice each other from light-years away, didn't set up a scientific or military mission, didn't send out messages to arrange a meeting... They just met each other by chance? Grade A fidelity gents.

I'll give a pass to the Banu Protectorate stuff, even though that's typical poo poo worldbuilding where a whole planet (or worse, multiple planets) are all somehow united in a perfectly unified and monocultural bloc.

Dude on the run going to a (supposedly) empty planet is dumb, but I'm willing to play along. Let's say it's a gravity assist or something.

People shooting at an unknown vessel is probably the most likely part of this whole story. By far. Although it's hyperdumb that this criminal Banu's reaction is to just twiddle his thumbs. This is an unknown vessel approaching him, even worse, firing on him... How the hell does he know the shield will work? Even if the shield works this time, perhaps there's a second, stronger weapon? A surface-to-orbit weapon? The vessel will just crash into him? The only way this makes sense of knowledge of 'earthling' capabilities is hyper-detailed and so widespread even a criminal on the run knows it. Which is even more dumb, because unless they have some magical observation tech, it's pretty much inconceivable that they know the level of risk these weapons represent without having established first contact!

And then we reach the moment where any pretence of fidelity just vanishes, logic is abandoned and any semblance of this being anything more than a child's story (minus mouse-on-elephant coitus) is dropped: the Banu waits for the 'earthling' to give up and makes a radio call.

This is just layer upon layer of stupid, showing complete lack of understanding of every single aspect involved. They don't speak the same language; there is no chance for their radios to have the same encryption protocols; and it's a world-breaking 'coincidence' if they even share the same frequency ranges; it's even a stretch to understand what he wants to communicate about (and why he knows that the human hasn't contacted the Banu Protectorate Border Guard to pick him up)...

Genius visionary Christopher 'Hairy' Roberts, everyone. Nothing is released until fully fidelitious and up to his exacting standards.

Shazback fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 11, 2022