Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

jesus WEP posted:

ZSJ just screaming HURRAH! ANOTHER YEAR, SURELY THIS ONE WILL BE BETTER THAN THE LAST; THE INEXORABLE MARCH OF PROGRESS WILL LEAD US ALL TO HAPPINESS while wrenching on several body parts at once

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Speaking of the Tombstone, what other moves have been around a while and are now named after a wrestler or their gimmick, instead of whatever it was originally called? Sharpshooter is one, what was the Crippler Crossface called before Benoit if anything?

The Ace Crusher -> Diamond Cutter comes to mind

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

LTTP but Okada vs peak Kenta Kobashi would be the worlds first 18* match

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

jesus WEP posted:

I really don’t like the top rope stomp because all the stuff they do to stop from killing their opponent makes it looks unspectacular, and yet it still is super painful to take. It’s the exact opposite of what a wrestling move should be.

I don't like it because unless you're willing to obliterate the other guy it just looks terrible, and mostly even then.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

IMO sub to DDT Universe so you can watch the continuing adventures of Chris Brookes and Maki Itoh

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Gavok posted:

A question that might be best revisited every month: who are wrestlers who are actually making out well BECAUSE of the pandemic? Off the top of my head:

- Braun Strowman: Got defaulted into being champ just because Goldberg didn't want to stick around and Roman valued his health.

- Austin Theory: I haven't watched WWE in a year outside of Rumble, but from what I understand, he was an obscure NXT name who lucked into being on the main roster. He hasn't done anything major, but he has a bigger spotlight than he would have otherwise.

- Sugar Dunkerton: Indie wrestler who got called in to show up to the month's worth of AEW tapings for the sake of jobbing. Just by being in the makeshift crowd, he was randomly called out by commentator Chris Jericho with a silly nickname "Pineapple Pete," which practically became his new identity. Now they're going to have a match and that might lead to him being a full-on member of the roster.

LTTP on this but Tetsuya Naitos being IWGP and Intercontinental champ whilst having to do absolutely nothing to defend it is super in character, extremely tranquilo.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Unperson_47 posted:

My question: does Kenny Omega have the best knee strike?

No because KENTA does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekcc91yp7Q0

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Hakushi/Jinsei Shinzaki was always awesome to see. Somehow WWE didn't instantly make him lame.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

And everyone sells it so damned well. I liked Brodie's crumple a lot

I should probably have contributed. I'm blinded by growing up in the Attitude Era when everyone had one finisher for years and it usually won, so I love the Stunner, the Rock's Bottom, and the Jackhammer, but I think my most recent one is the elevated Death Rider. For ones I hadn't seen at all until recently. Distinct, swift, final

I just can't think of any stand out innovations in the last decade

Somewhat tangental to this, what are some finishers that were so successful everyone started doing variations of them in a hurry? I'm thinking of the Shining Wizard in particular, as there was a period where basically everyone in Japan and th eUS indies was working up different versions.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

SG Bamboo posted:

For me it's Go Shiozaki. There's a picture I remember seeing from years back when he still had the black hair, blood running down his forehead as he stared right through someone promising murder. He's only gotten better with time, he has some of the most emotive eyes i've seen. I was so shook when Kenoh hit the buzzsaw kick on him and he was just laying there with glassy eyes, like he'd just gone somewhere else.

Similar bit with Suzuki where hes just lost the natch, is flat on his back unconscious and still grinning like a madlad

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Question?

Who's the oldest regularly working wrestler in any decent sized promotion? Because I was astonished to find out Billy Gunn is 57 and still going at it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think Tatsumi Fujinami is still wrestling fairly regularly

Fujinami is the guy I had in mind for oldest guy wrestling at all, but AFAIK he's mostly retired?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

forkboy84 posted:

Everything after New Japan came back is bad.

counterpoint: literally every single thing Hiromu does is perfection

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Spermgod posted:

hiroshi hase's is the original (in pro wrestling) and best. the version where it's just a slam like bray wyatt and akitoshi saito and others do is a different move and only called a uranage by english speaking announcers. japanese announcers call it an ura otoshi

Omega has used a Uranage now and again, I remember it in the G1 match where he accidentally concussed EVIL

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Red posted:

Leading up to Crash's debut, Bob probably felt like he'd put in the work, and was due for a singles push, only to get a comedy gimmick tag team partner, and a woman added to the 'family' after that.

Holly was a fool then, Molly especially was great

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Answers Me posted:

OK, as you’re desperate for a change of subject, indulge me with a question I’m sure has been asked over and over.

On a total whim I signed up to NJPW World to watch Wrestle Kingdom live, without having seen a single minute of NJPW before, and I’m hooked. What are the matches I should absolutely make sure I watch while I’ve still got the subscription?

I’m about to watch the Omega/Okada series, which I’ve heard loads about of course, but apart from that I haven’t really got a clue.

This is a very big list of suggested matches for everything up to and including some of 2018. Anything in gold is, well, gold

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsZCBTpKjHzdbCpKZ1No1KAdpmOd2OcgSMfC1-oa7pI/edit?usp=sharing

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

SirPhoebos posted:

Is there a big-name pro-wrestler that does/did a lot of JoJo memes?

Nakamura?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

TheKingslayer posted:

What are some poster's favorite entrances? Not someone's every night entrance but a big special that's been done?

I'm not entirely sure myself but I was watching Onita vs Chono in the barbwire deathmatch and drat those were a couple real good ones.

Nakamuras wk entrance with the dancers should have been extremely corny, but he was so effortlessly cool it looked ace

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

TheKingslayer posted:

What are some poster's favorite entrances? Not someone's every night entrance but a big special that's been done?

I'm not entirely sure myself but I was watching Onita vs Chono in the barbwire deathmatch and drat those were a couple real good ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DSmGDYITQI

Kobashis last match entrance has the crowd blowing the roof off of the building. The shot of him sitting before he enters, clearly in tears, is really powerful.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ICR posted:

Yo I watch a lot of indies stuff and it’s fun. Beyond is good stuff. But I have no idea who the homie on the left is and I’m all in for Captain America by Rob Liefield

https://twitter.com/beyondwrestling/status/1371482570039365643?s=21

That’s a brick loving shithouse of wideness right there.

Edit: I’m talking the guy next to Mike Verna. Who the gently caress is this guy?!?

Slab Bulkhead!
Fridge Largemeat!
Buff Hardback!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

fez_machine posted:

Jamie Hernandez of Love and Rockets has been doing Luchadora comics since 1982

He's also got a book coming out later this year that compiles all his Luchadora drawings: https://www.fantagraphics.com/collections/coming-soon/products/queen-of-the-ring-wrestling-drawings-by-jaime-hernadez

Man it sucks that shipping to the UK costs more than the goddamn book itself, this is extremely my jam.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

thanks!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What is the perfect wrestling match?

It doesn't necessarily be the best match ever, but what are some matches that are perfectly booked, taking into account the wrestlers ability, the time, the location, the booking etc?

I'm watching Cena vs Umaga Last Man Standing and my god does it own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSrH4TuKq1I

The creative ways both wrestlers find not to lose (breaking the bulb loses you the match) while being funny as all hell.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Also he very clearly has a Sikh heritage when Sikhs are routinely mocked in Indian popular culture.

Whats the deal with this? Hindu nationalists got their claws in that tight?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lamuella posted:

Yuka Sakazaki has a similar Murder Mode. It's like she's an android who has been activated.

Pissed off Yuka works so well because its such a contrast to her normal personality

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Where does Ric Flair vs Randy Savage in 92 stand in both men's greatest matches? They're two GOATS colliding at the biggest wrestling show of the year, why does this one get overlooked?

What are the biggest non WWE pops/crowd reactions in wrestling?

Kobashis entrance at Final Burning lifted the lid on the place, as it should.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He was wrestling a guy on Jakked and they had some communication issues that caused the guy to botch some stuff, so Saturn stiffed him hard for the rest of the match. Saturn has since said he regrets it and the guy passed away from a heart attack because of steroid use. His brother then made a documentary about steroid use in sports called Bigger Faster Stronger.

Incidentally, it's a REALLY good documentary

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Would Regal be in the running for top five/ten best British wrestlers ever? Because I love Regal and the competition outside of like Dynamite Kid is probably not that great lol.

ZSJ and PAC are like, right there, and much as I dislike him, Ospreay.

And thats just current guys in major promotion s

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lid posted:

When western wrestlers talk about working with Japanese talent some names always come up - Okada, Ishii, Tanahashi, Suzuki, to a lesser extent Ibushi, Takagi or TAICHI - but one name that I feel I have never seen come up is Naito despite being the third name in the Okada-Tanahashi-Naito loop with the fourth position being a swing spot occupied by at different points Nakamura, Omega, Styles, White or Ospreay.

Is this reflective of the general western view vs Japanese view of Naito that they just don't rate him on the same level of the other talents, even people further down the card? And if this era of NJPW supremacy gets viewed with pillars will Naito end up being viewed as the Akira Taue of the era?

Off the top of my head I cant really think of a foreign wrestler thats had any real sort of programme with Naito

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

jimmydalad posted:

I think I’ve come to realise through my diving into wrestling that something I get really attached to is charisma or character work. Iinspiration and Maki Itoh spring to mind as wrestlers who don’t have the best in ring skills but have hilarious or compelling characters.

Are there other wrestlers like that whom I should be aware of?

Toru Yano, who spends every single minute of his matches trying to cheat as hard as humanly possible. Has wins over top people like Mox and Suzuki by dragging them down to his level and drowning them in his own delightful flavour of lowblows, tied shoelaces and exposed turnbukles.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

TV Zombie posted:

Orange Cassidy. His ppv match with PAC was very entertaining. I cannot recommend him fully, having not seen much of his work but Danhausen may fit what you seek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ-L7knAC2Q

This is one of the funniest sequences I've ever seen.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Has Billy Gunn had any references to "rear end"/"Mr. rear end"/the concept of "rear end" while in AEW?

Him and his sons are The rear end Boys

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

IceAgeComing posted:

There's actually more random Japanese wrestling that got on TV outside Japan than you'd think: Bix is probably the person that might be able to answer with specifics but I know AJW was on some US TV stations in the 80s since there are tapes going around with (terrible) English commentary on them; Eurosport had NJPW for periods in the 90s/2000s as well plus I think inherited these then-ancient UWFi tapes at some point.

I have vague memories of reading that this TV and the actually PPV weren't linked and the former came well after the fact but I could be wrong - the PPV was entirely on capitalise on the UFC by presenting UWFi as real: I believe they did a few PPVs and the first sold alright but then people realised that it wasn't a shoot plus the rules didn't get over and so follow-ups didn't work. The TV I'm sure followed years later and might have just been someone seeing the names on those shows; getting the tapes for cheap and packaging them up for syndication or a cheap TV deal but again that could be wrong and I'm conflating two different things.

New Japan and some other stuff got shown on Eurosport here in Europeland in the late 80s, early 90s. It was what got me into wrestling, and why Liger is forever my favourite wrestler.

e:f/beaten like Seth Rollins with a chair

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

jesus WEP posted:

How does WALTER vs ZSJ sound?

Also ZSJ Vs Ospreay

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Benne posted:

The People's Elbow wasn't a finisher, it was Rock's taunt after he already hit the Rock Bottom

and really its just a version of Mutas flashing elbow with more theatrica

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

forkboy84 posted:

I'd say Shida & Sakazaki are probably in or near the top tier but with the caveat that honestly neither would be in my top 10 of active women's wrestlers.

Joshi traditionally has been a much snugger style than you associate with American women's wrestling, but everything else I think can just be attributed to the simple fact that women's wrestlers in Japan get to work A LOT more, and that's how you get better. Britt Baker's busiest year going by Cagematch was 2018 with 46 dates. Compare that to one of my current faves Arisa Nakajima, when she started she would do 60-90 shows a year. It's only 10 years into her career that she dialled back to 2 shows a month sort of level.

Not only do they wrestle more, and a stiffer style, they generally start younger as well.

Mei Suruga is 22 and has wrestled 468 matches.

Starlight Kid is 20 and has over 400 matches

Riho being the most extreme outlier, had her first match at age 9, and at 24 has 979 matches under her belt, more than Roman Reigns.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

CommonShore posted:

Every wrestler except Riho and Mick Foley are bad.

Every regular member of Choco Pro is wonderful and I will hear no different.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Halloween Jack posted:

The People's Elbow has been so widely parodied/imitated that it might count.

Thats just Mutas flashing elbow though

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Bushmeister posted:

Takeda vs Jimmy Lloyd, Takeda kneed a scissors board into Lloyd and one caught him in the upper torso. Wasn't deep but visible and Jimmy seemed to understandably freak for a bit.

Later the same year on the first GCW Japan shows Takeda took a spill on a board of knives that resulted in a cut so bad they had to stop the match.

Literally the most distressing spot Ive ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Suplex Liberace posted:

No sometimes you just got a big ol barrel chest like tana.

.7 of a Kenta Kobashi