Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

The worst thing about Scotland, running out of bevvy at 2am equalling the end of the party.

Lol if you're not aware of at least three different Facebook pages you can contact to have booze delivered at a price that would be unreasonable in the shops, but not so high it's crazy if you just need a couple more bottles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

From the PYF awful/funny graphs and charts thread -

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Absolute lol that the Lib Dems are having a fever dream about getting a majority, but they're literally just aiming for the slimmest round figure that would constitute one.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Any more details about the Glasgow goonmeet?

It's Saturday, right?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Have I got this wrong, or does this mean 320 isn't even a majority?

Sinn Fein don't sit and speakers don't vote, the number is normally somewhere around 317

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Podcasting is Pracis - Episode 8 - Atomic Kitten Malthusian is up for you listening pleasure!

Sorry for the wait, I got caught up in other poo poo today, but at least it's there for your commutes tomorrow!

Self care first.

And anyway, out in time for Friday commute is the important point :p

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Glasgow meetup folks, I'm aiming to be at the counting house at noon sharp, bus allowing.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I will not be because I missed my train like a loving oaf.

Be there closer to half past now

You must've been REALLY late in order to be late enough you were running later than Abellio.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sanitary Naptime posted:

:captainpop:

:discourse:

Message me on discord where you are, I’ll be there in less than five

Messaged on discord.

If anyone attending today *isn't* on discord lemme know

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

Finally looking to give this discord a go, but the link keeps saying expired (https://discord.gg/vnWwfX). Does a new one need generated or something?

Edit: ^ pizza express seem to survive on vouchers as well. I see their “o2 pizza for a fiver (actually 6.5 because who wants a classic)” has been replaced with “two for a tenner”, and I think like many Italian-fare restaurants they massively rely on booze sales to make up the low spend on food.

Try this one -

https://discordapp.com/invite/RgUqEwk

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Alexei Leonov, first man to do a spacewalk, has died aged 85.

Never forget the myriad ways the USSR outpaced the US on space age innovation.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

AceClown posted:

Encouraging to see not a single Lib Dem

Excuse me, it clearly stated "Spoiling ballot" right there.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sanitary Naptime posted:

It's not the place I was thinking of, but the menu looks like a proper good curer, ty

e: just noticed it's trying to pass off fried bread as being the proper accompaniment to a scottish breakfast rather than the far superior tottie scone. Koffee Pot is cancelled.

Love a soft roll with square and two tattie scones on it. Bit of ketchup.

Now there's a breakfast.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

Skwawkbox has close ties to Katie Murphy, who was just recently pushed out of the LOTO office at John McDonnell's encouragement.

And lol at any left wing source saying we need to ally ourselves with Kate Hoey.

Karie Murphy, not Katie.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Haven't almost all state opening of parliament in the modern era been in the summer?

Pretty sure I woulda been on school holiday for them, not that my school would have had us watch them anyway.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Hey, Guavanaut, can you update the Op with a few things please?

First, the discord invite is now https://discord.gg/PAGMDc

Second, my partner isnt in cunninghame CLP anymore, she's in Cumbernauld.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I've changed that. It was thoughtful of her to move to a CLP that didn't change the list order.

We moved last march lmao, but she just attended a meeting at the new CLP so thought now was a good time to mention.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

sure they're not nearly on the same scale but it's basically saying "no we can't change this thing to be better, either deal with it exactly how it is or don't deal with it at all" which is a terrible argument whether it's a country or a forum

I have the solution.

Thread poll on the November thread on if we should ban crispchat.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

The current derail about "The Current Derail" needs to end. It needs to stop.

Crispchat happens, foodchat happens, bad opinionschat happens.

It is not just a thread about UK politics, its a thread of a load of similar minded UK based people shooting the breeze about the UK. Anyone continuing before this post is safe.

Anyone continuing after this post is subject to my discretionary whims.

You have been warrrnnnnneeeddd....

Love you Kirby

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

Jo Swinson on BBC breakfast saying that a 'people's vote' has been Lib Dem policy for 3 years.

Haven't they spent that entire time calling Corbyn a secret brexiteer for having that policy? Am I being gaslit by Jo Swinson?

Labours only sorta had that policy for a year, and only fully since the summer.

You're still being gaslit though, they're still insisting Corbyn is a secret brexiteer who wants no deal.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

If only "nationalists" and "sense" belonged in the same sentence.

This is kind of a dumb take, and quite tone deaf tbh, in the context of Ireland.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Niric posted:

Is there any actual proof of the latter? I was under the impression that the Tories won the most overall votes (at least a plurality) at the last election.

Ronya is being very polite when he says:

I don't know where Bobby has pulled this particular hot take from, but it's not true. FPTP is a bad system and rewards parties for a particular type of geographic spread (compare the SNP vs Lib Dem votes:seats ratio for instance), but Gerrymandering of the American sort in terms of constituencies isn't really a thing here. As far as I'm aware, no one has serious party-political objections to the work of Boundary Commissions that review the constituencies
[/quote]

There are some issues around the fact that they can be told which metrics to use for constituencies by the governing party. The Tories told them to go by registered voters, IIRC, instead of eligible voters, when drawing up the new (and not implemented) boundaries, which favours the Tories.

But yeah, the boundary comission itself appears to be fair, and works within the guidelines it is set to.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

ronya posted:

That's true, but this has to be interpreted with some caution - vote share (by definition) also does not consider people who do not vote. When measuring boundary-drawing bias in terms of wasted votes per seat - that is, if two-party bias is measured by comparing the FPTP boundary effect against a PR ideal - the neutral PR point is to use actual voters to weight the seats, not eligible voters.

The partisan effect (as such) is hence the gap between registered and actual, not registered and eligible - i.e. weighting by past registered punishes inspirational leaders who can turn out surges in future actual voters, for instance, to pick a purely hypothetical example

This looks like a lot of words for "I agree", which I guess is what to expect from a ronya post.

I explicitly said that the measures the comission were told to use could be a problem, but that the comission themselves were fair.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

ronya posted:

it's less the "could be a problem" element and more it's "previously conventionally it was considered another way in which the system favoured LAB, which it no longer does, or at least less so", rather than "it was fair previously and now favours CON"

the turnout surge proportion and variation is much smaller than the proportion and variations of eligible voters who don't; the hypothetical is iffy and hard to take entirely seriously. The point, rather, is that the effects come from the change over time rather than the voter composition at a given time

I never said it was fair before, what I said was the comission itself is fair, when you account that they have no control over certain measures.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I mean this goes heavily against what was posted like two days ago where the centralised leadership seemed to be able to prevent other groups from doing things...

Cat tax cannot be paid because awful app won’t upload the image :(

I got you fam

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Happy Birthday Rarity!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Commentariat, probably Toby Young.

BUT!

Is it from the Spectator, the Telegraph, the Mail, or Quillette?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Also we should let a new world government by non-Euro descended people redraw the borders of Europe, ending the nationalism debate once and for all.

Honestly I'd be fine with that Scottish border, except for the facts that -

1) It runs through the centre of a national park, and administering a border there if required could be difficult.

2) I'd be much happier drawing the line just North of Wales instead. (Hell, if Wales like, they can have a poll to join Ireland.)

That said, I feel like everyone except Catalonia would be upset by the mainland borders.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Enterprise is better than Voyager. At least Enterprise gave its basic premise a bit of a go. Voyager just abandoned everything interesting after the pilot and quickly settled into episode after episode of beige.

Enterprise only really started to get going in it's last series, Voyager had the occasional dip into something interesting prior to season 4, though it only really hit the ground running when the interactions between 7 of 9 and the Doctor started in earnest.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Also Anson Mount was absolutely perfect in S2 as Pike

Give him his own series.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

52% of Brits confirmed to be wrong.

(again.)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

So if this vote fails tonight does that clear the floor for a VONC and GE safe from no deal?

Not until the EU actually agrees to the January extension, or offers a counter extensiont hat's then accepted.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Everyone here is forgetting one aspect when discussing Corbyn and the Whips Office - If every 3 line ignorance was followed by pulling the whip, Corbyn wouldn't be a Labour MP before.

We all laud him for his convictions and willingness to defy the party when he deemed it right, and he believes in the that self same right for his colleagues, rightly or wrongly.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Didn't pay the catte tax, so I will for you.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

ronya posted:

it isn't normal to whip before officially deciding something, and if it was really about NDB it would be a whip against, not to abstain

it is possible the shadow cabinet agreed to whip but Corbyn had his own read on the meeting minutes

in any case the EU27 response is soon and any ambiguity will last at most another day... right??

In addition to what EvilHawk said, you don't need to oppose on a FTPA motion, as it needs 2/3 of the house to vote FOR regardless of how many against.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

God, gently caress daylight savings.

Already seeing the difference of winter time, it's almost dusk out before I've even left for work, instead of being full night until after I'm at work

Course, that'll only help for a few weeks until it's just dark all the time, but honestly having more of that in September and October would help my mood.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Hah!
Like I graduated.

Anyway, I'm 30 and work in IT, white cishet.

E; and to whoever told me to move south - no, how about we just don't arse around with goddamned dst?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The good news for everyone worrying about speaker choice is that it requires some nominations from both sides of the house, so anyone completely rabid can't really get in.

This is unfortunately what stops Skinner or someone like him getting the job.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Obviously nobody's told Captain Haddock he can't have his kayak and heat it.

BOOOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/mehall/status/1188799785161183233?s=19