Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

I would've bought it at $20 or less, but I've already spent a ton on BL2 and the expansions, so no thanks at this price.

Steam sale it is, I guess.

If it's any consolation the reviews seem to universally think it's a horrendous VR conversion right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Trust me, I wish I could 100% endorse it as a primary headset over others.

If someone was buying it as a mobile unit, and understood the BONUS of having it be a PCVR headset, sure. But thats the issue. I can't recommend it primary since like you said, cable isnt out yet (Yes theres third party, but this also complicates things for NON TECH users like it or not), its not really 100% pcvr, and while its "as simple as plugging it in", its really not just that simple for some people.

Ya'll need to understand I'm thinking general market here and I'm never going to sway from that when recommending things, regardless of user.

Personally, I think its a great feature. Again not once have I said "QUEST PCVR IS TRASH". Its just not going to get recommended as a PRIMARY VR HEADSET from me.

Agreed on the value, again as an above average user. Just, not as the general public.

You're completely wrong though and the option that demands you already have a quality gaming PC is objectively the niche option in comparison.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly this gets overlooked but its really great

Yep. I would like to be able to move just a tad faster with the sticks, but having both is comfy and good imo.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

I think I posted this in here once and someone said it only had like 2/3DOF? So like, it was super weird moving your head forward or back.

On the other hand, there's always DCS...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAKSfxM8wCw

Or you could play the Trench Run mission from Rogue Squadron 2 via DolphinVR, I dunno if they ever fixed that up, but the FOV pop-in was ridiculous.

Speaking of which, did anyone else encounter fuckin' enemy pop-in on Half Life Alyx? Once or twice I've had enemies basically spawn in out of nowhere right on top of me. Super loving weird.

XWA VR looks like it's come a long way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V11IIj4L6OM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY93UgHgbcU

It looks like it's had 6dof worked in, at least to some degree.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I'd be really disappointed if Hitman VR never made it to PC, the odds of me ever spending money on a PSVR are zero.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Very eager to hear how people like the Reverb 2, since in theory if the controllers are reasonably better and not overpriced I could get them for my Odyssey+. More appealing than getting a whole new headset just yet, I wanna see what the Quest 2 shapes up to have spec wise.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

sigher posted:

:lol:

That's some worthless poo poo; don't even bother at that point, seriously.

I was expecting the PSVR exclusivity confirmation, at least for the short term, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. But the gamepad only thing I'm pretty surprised by. I'm not a PSVR owner but I thought move controllers for it was gonna be kind of a given.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Kikas posted:

The new Hitman was just announced as a Epic Games Store exclusive on PC. I don't think they do vr :worry:

They do but it relies on Steam for the VR funny enough. What a disappointment though, not giving them any money. I can wait.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Seems I struck a nerve :smuggo: dude please stop

Your reaction was totally unhinged and it's far from the first time you've reacted like that in here, nobody's getting fooled.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Inacio posted:

it's $299 + your data.
that's pretty much it

e: gently caress facebook

Yeah I mean FB sucks poo poo, but it is a hell of a headset otherwise as far as I can tell. Really hurts to see such a bad company leading the market like this.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

ROFLBOT posted:

Did you miss the part where i posted my other fake still-active account, the one with no information in it, no activity, no posts, no logins for 6 years?

why yes, you did.

I think it’s just that your anecdote is worthless and nobody cares about your single account hat has avoided problems.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I couldn't stand NMS in any way on flatscreen, but the VR was fun just for big spaces to be in and poke around, even if the gameplay loop didn't hook me much and the interfaces were no fun to deal with ever. Making the terrain bigger and more scaled up and stuff is right up my alley. Definitely gonna have to get back in it.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

The Walrus posted:

Finding a cool floating island and hollowing it out and making a sweet cave base is awesome. I love NMS, can't wait to play this.

I was always kind of afraid to try making a big base, is building pretty reliable these days? That sounds extremely rad and I wanna do the same.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

MixMasterMalaria posted:

The question is can it still be used as a steam headset at that point.

Not at all as far as I know.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/457550/Bigscreen_Beta/
This is what I've used to watch 3d sbs movies in vr, it's worked well enough for me although I wish there was like, a steam workshop for new environments or something. It's free so I can't complain, the online part has worked fine for watching stuff with friends too. Also works for streaming 2d video content together on a big screen.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Like hell I'm going to -pay- to play a BR game that has the stupid fortnite wall summoning poo poo.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I'm hoping more than ever that XWVM manages to get a solid release before getting C&D-ed away forever or something.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Odyssey+ here tbh. I'd love to get a Quest 2 but the Facebook account stuff put a wrench in the works and IDK when I'll get around to any upgrade.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

lmao how pathetic do you have to be to defend facebook, literally simping for a hypercapitalist surveillance state because maaaybe they'll ban some of the nazis they create

Don't worry, they just want to make enable everyone to work from home and end the physical office, absolutely no data collection interests anymore!!! lol.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

blue squares posted:

I've read a few lists of "best VR games" and all the lists have left me with doubts so I'll just ask in here. What are the can't-miss VR experiences (SteamVR or Oculus)?

Vivecraft with SteamVR is honestly a list topper for me. The scale and stuff never gets old to me, idk. The official minecraft VR for non-java minecraft doesn't hold a candle to it.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Shine posted:

I'm so glad they fixed the VR poo poo.

And they dropped a massive patch yesterday to address some balancing stuff and exploits. The launch was rough, but they're putting a lot of effort into fixing poo poo, which is good to see.

Now add the quick mission builder thingy from X-Wing Alliance, and yes I will pay $50 for it as DLC I don't care just gimme gimme gimme.

If they add a way to make missions I'll finally bite the bullet and get the game.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

AllisonByProxy posted:

Is there any way to get games sideloaded onto the Quest 2 with Sidequest to show up in the headset interface or must they always be launched from the sidequest app?

They get all stuffed away into an "Untrusted Apps" category in the Quest 2, you can launch them from there.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

100gb is still not the norm. AC Valhalla is 50GB. AC Odyssey was a few GB less. Horizon Zero Dawn PC (with the dlc) is 67gb. Death Stranding is 70gb. Shadow of Tomb Raider is 40gb. Etc
Hell the super new Cyberpunk is 70gb.
Call of Duty is the stupid exception here, not even close to the norm.

And MOH is is not only 100 GB, that's still just a bit more than usual. I would rise an eyebrow but wouldn't complain that much for that. It's 160 GB.

It's a monster, that's more space than RDR 2 takes up for me. 160 gb is very much on the notably high end of game sizes.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

You need 300+ gigs because they secretly need to run a separate copy of the game for each eye due to a coding issue early in game development.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

LordoftheScheisse posted:

What are people using Virtual Desktop for, typically? Just forums browsing, or are there other specific uses?

A lot of us are using it to wirelessly stream PC VR games to the Quest.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

KTS posted:

I finished off the setup tutorial for VR pinball for those that were interested in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0BVrNQ_U-U

Also other videos on the build are uploaded there if anyone is interested in seeing the process from start to finish

I tried to get Visual Pinball VR working last year and was messing it up so I gave up, this made it easy. This is gonna scratch my pinball VR itch way better than the other offerings I've found besides Zaccaria, which has been a lot of fun imo. Thanks a ton for the guide!

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Lockback posted:

Do you guys get random errors when running it? I followed the guide but still having trouble. I think now most of my problem is is starts me inside the pinball machine, but that should be fixable in the settings I think. I still get random errors popping up though.

Thom and the Heads posted:

Yeah - I started setting it up last night before getting frustrated and just going back to Poker Stars. I was getting errors like 1/3rd of the time, couldn't figure out which of the files on the VR tables spreadsheet were required other than the ROM (is a "VR Room" the same thing as a table?) and couldn't figure out how to actually control anything (I assumed that touch controls weren't supported that I needed to use a keyboard but it didn't seem like my keyboard was doing anything). I would launch the VR launcher, it would kick me out of Oculus Link, I would relaunch Link and see the table select menu but couldn't interact with it. Eventually I got loaded into what I suppose is the "bump calibration" table but I was sitting in the middle of it and couldn't figure out how to interact with it.

So I've been getting the errors too. It's something to do with SteamVR it seems like, when it errors out resetting SteamVR seems to somehow fix something and it'll let me load in fine for the rest of the vr session. I haven't been able to nail it down, was thinking of trying disabling the SteamVR home and seeing if that helps. It's erroring out because of some VR end issue somewhere, that much is clear. It doesn't feel like it's connecting properly with SteamVR and doesn't have a vr space to put the player in, locking it up. Whatever it is it's definitely annoying and definitely not just you. I'm trying it with an Odyssey+ here.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Lockback posted:

I'll have to check. I appreciate all your help and your video was great! After trying to go down the rabbit hole myself your video made a ton more sense.

Do you start the _GL.exe or something else? What do you use as X and Y coordinates?

I might have a really good way of setting up a bartop interface but if I do that I can't really move around to adjust where I'm standing.

You can use numpad 5 to reset your viewing position and numpad 8 and 2 to adjust the height in-game. At least that's what I've read, uh, my keyboard doesn't have a numpad so I haven't been able to test it yet. It sounds way better than fiddling with the numbers manually.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

I finally got around to setting up SideQuest and holy poo poo I can play Chex Quest in VR. What the gently caress.

I am brand new to zDoom, does it matter where I buy games like hexen/etc from? Will Steam copies work?

As long as you get the .wad files it'll be fine, Steam included. VR zdoom is a lot of fun!

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

I bought a Rift S with some of my stimulus money. I'm regretting it a little, on account of I bought it instead of the Quest 2 because I didn't want to deal with Facebook, only to find out that Facebook has assimilated the Rift S fully into their fold as well. That said, I've messed around with it in No Man's Sky and Elite: Dangerous, and I plan to do Euro Truck Simulator 2 once the update finishes downloading.

Based on my experiences so far with these games and with the demo software, I think I'd like VR games where my character is enclosed in some way and manipulating local objects more than something where I'm, say, playing a first-person shooter. I like looking around the cockpit in No Man's Sky more than I like much of the actual gameplay. Any suggestions for games where I'm in a virtual cockpit or at a virtual control panel or something?

e: also, would it be worth it to try returning the Rift S and getting a Quest 2 instead, since I can't evade Facebook either way?

VTOL VR is a flight sim with fully interactive cockpit controls for you to interact with as objects with your vr controllers. It's pretty fun although I'm not the biggest fan of virtual flight sticks personally. https://store.steampowered.com/app/667970/VTOL_VR/

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Press copies?

I'm bigger than that these days friend. I dont "stream" or whatever anymore. lol

If your posting was an attempt at sneakily building demand for some new vr ad-block technology I could believe it.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Correct, and if everyone actually looking into this ad thing would see that developers have control over ad providers. This means things like the "monster can" can end up a "redbull can" instead. Ads are more than just a flashing gif on a billboard folks.

Stop focusing on billboards. Something like Pop1 has energy drinks. Redbull can pay that company a ton of money to slap a logo on an already existing item in the game. They get paid, users mostly don't notice, and the ones that do go "heh cool" because its a real thing. (yes, Im focusing on the redbull/monster can thing a lot, its a really good example of well placed ads)

Theres so much that can be done, that is technically an ad, that people are really freaking out over nothing so far.

You're free to like that stuff but it completely takes me out of the experience personally and I absolutely hate it.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Its not nonsensical.

If you honestly figured ads in blaston were a cash grab well, you dunno anything about resolution games. That money can go into the fund for that team to afford the team to create said esports team (Production team, not some players). Then yes, paying for players "salaries/payment/prizes" isn't insane.

esports aint cheap. lemme tell ya. lol

Why should I have to pay an esports tax by getting ads forced on me in a game if I'm not someone who cares about esports in any way and doesn't want that stuff intruding into my experience? It makes me absolutely not want to touch the game, every game I get into that starts pushing that stuff ends up making changes to the game that make me not want to play anymore, so this sort of thing makes me not want to touch Resolution Games' products.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

KakerMix posted:

loot boxes or vaccine denial, full-blown fascism and racism out in the open.

Hard choice.

I hate children gambling, but I think the company that has literally facilitated genocides might be worse, yeah.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

The Walrus posted:

btw finished the lake boss battle in resident evil 4 and put it down for the night. and I'm... LESS THAN A FIFTH OF THE WAY THROUGH THE GAME?

this loving rules so hard. I hope armature starts making more of these. I want Resi 5. I want Metal Gear Solid 2. I want Deus Ex Human Revolution. I want Syphon Filter, I want Splinter Cell, Dead Space. So many awesome third person games that would work so well with this kind of well made conversion.

I really hope that Hitman VR manages to make it to PC, that kind of sandbox gameplay seems soooo perfect for VR. Don't think the quest will ever run that one though, of course.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

HookedOnChthonics posted:

:sigh: anyone really good at the nuances of Steam VR? So far it's been the biggest friction point of my WMR/Reverb experience

First, it's the only VR app I've tried with any kind of frame dropping/tearing issues--MSFS runs great at mid-low settings; all other games run great; Virtual Desktop is great. Steam Home and the game theater launch ok once or twice and then are unusably, nauseatingly laggy until a reboot--and I'm pretty sure the problem is with Steam itself, not the computer, because I can open a game in the theater mode, experience terrible FPS, then open the overlay and play the game at perfect FPS on a projected desktop window :confused:

Second, one of my ideal use cases for VR is to be able to play flatscreen games on a big Virtual Desktop monitor while browsing the internet/etc on a floating panel at my side. I got it working exactly as I wanted the other day by somehow getting Big Picture mode active on the monitor Virtual Desktop is projecting, then calling up a second monitor through the Steam VR overlay. Now, though, launching Big Picture mode causes Steam to disappear from my projected monitors and only opens directly in the overlay, and launching games causes me to exit Virtual Desktop and enter the aforementioned unusably laggy (and much smaller/less configurable) game theater mode.

Any tips?

If I don't turn off reprojection in the little WMR Steam VR button when I'm in Steam VR, some stuff like VRChat will leak memory on me until all 32 gigs of ram are full and programs start crashing. Before it gets to that point though my performance degrades more and more. Turning it off instantly fixed everything for me, IDK if it'll fix things for you but I would strongly recommend giving it a try.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

.........how does one cheat at VRchat?

It lets people make the client better for free instead of overpaying for a pittance of features that are still heavily capped like saved avatars.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

genericnick posted:

That Steam media player is pretty picky about codecs. What do people usually use instead?

I tend to use pc virtual desktop with media player classic, or big screen vr with mpc if I want to watch with buddies.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

My main experience with public VRChat worlds has been getting immediately called transphobic slurs when I open my mouth, so I don't really do public VRChat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Beastie posted:

I think the Fortnite art is interesting and vibrant enough that I’d like the VR game to be 3rd person. Game uses lots of towering structures and lots of effects, feel like it would be fun in 3rd person.

If this is going to be a thing, that is. Oh and no building for life.

Honestly I hate 3rd person for games like Fortnite, where you can just sit in cover and angle your camera so you can see everything and not be seen. First person would be my preference easy. But we're agreed on no building.