Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Well gently caress.

I built the new PC yesterday, got Windows installed, everything seemed fine with RAM running at 3600 and so forth. Left it to sleep overnight and this morning it won’t start.

When I press the power button, I get a quick hit of light from the video card and the CPU and GPU fans turn a little, and then it stops. If I hold the button it repeats that over and over in little bursts. The CPU and DRAM lights are lit on the motherboard (even with power disconnected).

- ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4
- Ryzen 3900
- 2x 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600
- MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GAMING X 8G
- WD Black SN750 1TB SSD
- EVGA 1000W PSU

The PSU and GPU were happily in use in the previous build. I can dig up another PSU to test on, later today.

Reading the web it sounds like a number of people have had defective motherboards of this type, but they seem to never get it to post in the first place. Mine was an open box at a time that the store is only taking returns on defective parts, which are dots that I didn’t previously connect, alas.

Any ideas for what I should try before I do the return dance?

Bleh.

I would try clearing the CMOS/BIOS first. The jumper should be around the USB2 headers on that board, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Is there anything I should be aware of if I'm intending to re-use my old mATX case (Bitfenix Prodigy M) in a new build? Don't want to stumble over some "oh yeah GPUs are all double size now and mATX cases got their layouts reworked back in 2018, none of this poo poo will fit lol" type scenario.

Looks like that particular case has "Maximum Graphics Card Support (Length): 320mm (12.6 inch)" "Maximum Graphics Card Support (width): 150mm(5.9 inch)" stated on the manufacturer's website, so double-check and avoid graphics cards bigger than that and you should be fine.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ashsaber posted:

Well, Good News: After bumbling around for a couple hours I was able to complete my build, and holy poo poo it actually booted! It installed the OS with no issues (though I didn't go online to validate the key)! It boots in like >10 seconds compared to the 30 or so my old (current) one does.

Bad news: I have no idea how to get it to recognize the HDD that is installed, so I can store more low priority stuff. Going to take it to professionals to get that working, and also do stuff like install driver updates, tidy up my terrible cabling, and make sure my fan setup isn't going to cause anything to melt three days in.
Glad to hear it's working :)

I suppose the HDD that isn't being recognized might not be partitioned, in which case this might help you (just skip the part about shrinking the C partition, since it's not relevant to you):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdHjolzl7Gk

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

This is pretty much every gamer / enthusiast hardware company I M O. Corsair isn't even the worst. The ones that aren't crap are forcing log in to a tracking server just to use.

Logitech is about the only one I don't find awful, but then logitech gaming mice you don't even have to keep the software active if you use the on-board profiles. An empty system tray is bliss.

I still use an old (probably 2012-ish) Trust mouse where the system tray application just saves your settings to the mouse itself. It is so convenient and simple. I don't know if their newer models use a similar system, though.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

owls or something posted:

SInce I can't seem to find/buy isopropyl alcohol and my stashed bottle got raided for pandemic reasons, what is a good or even better alternative for cleaning thermal grease off CPU/heatsink?

I've heard acetone is maybe ok to use, but I don't know. All I've ever used is iso.

If you can find it anywhere, Akasa makes a citrus based "TIM clean" fluid which I found to be quite effective.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Umbreon posted:

Thermals are looking ok While I have my game and browser up:

https://i.imgur.com/Firu0xl.png

Really wish I knew what was using up all of my CPU, the numbers in the resource monitor never add up

https://i.imgur.com/dFxJ7G0.png

I guess I can try a reinstall of windows 10 next but I'm always terrified of those because they wind up causing so many problems/missing files and folders whenever I do that

What about the numbers in Task Manager? Do they add up?
Might also want to check the Services section (below your screenshot) in the Resource Monitor, in case there's some service there using CPU time that's not being shown among the processes.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I built my new PC about a month ago and since day 1 I've been getting very random hard locks where the screen just goes to black (monitor light starts blinking) and I need to reset the PC.

Occasionally the Radeon Settings app will give me a message about my tuning profile being reset to default, but this has happened even with the default settings.

All signs point to something weird with the GPU, but this has happened both while at the Windows desktop and while running videogames so it doesn't look like it's a load issue.

I'd say the frequency is about once a day, on average.

Any tips on how to troubleshoot this? Just re set everything and pray?

What graphics card do you have?
I had similar issues (seemingly random hard locks to black screen, needing hard reboot) starting maybe 7-8 months ago and it was my Vega 56 GPU seemingly going bad after having worked fine for ~1 year. Swapped back to my old R9 390 and the problems went away completely, so I had to RMA the Vega card. If you have or can borrow another graphics card to try with, see if that helps.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

It's a Radeon RX 580 so same-ish family, which doesn't bode well. Hopefully it won't get to that because the RMA process would be a bitch and I don't have a spare.

Yeah, I hope you don't need to do that.
For reference, this is what my reliability history looked like while I had the issues up until I swapped back to the old card. In hindsight, I should have tried that much sooner, though I had forgotten about the old card.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

Hmmm, getting no cpu detected or fail LED on my build. R5 2600, MSI B550 Edge, I can't link to pcpartpicker from mobile. I went through the troubleshooting steps on Tom's Hardware (reseat everything, try 1 ram stick, etc.) and no post. Unless it's a bios issue but it shouldn't be with a 550 board right? Do I just RMA the cpu first or is there anything else worth trying.

B550 doesn't support 2000-series CPUs or 3000-series APUs, as far as I know, so that is not going to work unless there's some future BIOS patch for older CPUs.

Assuming it's the MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI (closest match I could find), here's the compatibility list: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-B550-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI#support-cpu

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

I am such a dumbass. I meant to buy an x570 gaming edge wifi and bought the b550 gaming edge wifi by mistake. Okay, thanks. Now let me figure it what to do.
Edit, ordered a 3600 and will return the 2600, glad I bought from Amazon .

Re: why did I buy a 2600? Because the 3600 was out of stock almost everywhere, except for price gougers, the day I ordered. And I'm upgrading from an old i5 2400 system and even the R5 2600 will be a healthy jump.

As long as you can swap them like that, things should work out fine :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

So-so Miscreant posted:

Trying to decide between building my own system or getting a similarly specced prebuilt from bestbuy. I'm aiming for comfortably hitting 1080/60 on most new games while watching videos in chrome, but I'd also like to keep the door open for 1080/144 or 4k down the road. This system seems pretty good bang for the buck, and seems to compare well price wise to one you would have to build yourself:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($172.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B550M-A (WI-FI) Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $980.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-05 12:33 EDT-0400

Are there any red flags I'm not seeing with the Skytech system that would make building my own preferable despite the cost similarity? I'm not against building my own, but I haven't had great experiences with it in the past and when the prices are so similar it makes me want to lean toward just going with the prebuilt system. Thanks for any advice!

I'm not sure how good the airflow really is in that case what with the side intakes around the closed front, though one of the customer reviews claim it's good. I don't see anything else obvious about it.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I would probably choose an expansion card if you have a decent amount of room in your case.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BrainDance posted:

It's genuinely impressive how silent this heatsink is. I'm half deaf anyway, but even set to "performance mode" or whatever nonsense it may as well be silent, can't hear it at all.

Yeah, I can't hear mine at all from ~2-3 meters away

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

sean10mm posted:

This may be common knowledge, but I've been reading up on B550 boards and they can be kind of weird with how they handle ports/slots/bandwidth if you try to use more than the dedicated PCIe 4.0 16x slot and PCIe 4.0 4x M2 SSD slot. Basically none of them can actually use all of their onboard SATA ports, M.2 ports and PCIe slots at full bandwidth at once.

For instance, the MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk can handle the following just fine:

1 PCIe 4.0 16x (video card) - All B550 boards have this locked down because it goes directly to the CPU, not the chipset
1 PCIe 4.0 4x (M.2 SSD) - See above
1 PCIe 3.0 4x (M.2 SSD)
1 PCIe 3.0 1x card (for whatever)
SATA ports

Using both 1x slots throttles the second M.2 from 4x to 2x. Using the second 16x slot (which only runs at 4x speed anyway) disables the second M.2 slot entirely.

None of this is obvious unless your read the fine print of the specs.

But this isn't MSI being dicks! All B550 boards have to do some kind of juggling like this, and none of them are consistent bout it. For instance, Asrock Steel Legend and Extreme4 always run the second M.2 slot at only 2x instead of 4x and disable 3 SATA ports if you use it, but don't seem to gently caress with the PCIe slots, which for most people is probably stupider. The B550 Aorus Pro kills the second 16x slot (which is only 4x actually) to run the second M2 at 4x like the Tomahawk, and has a third 16x slot (really 2x!) that steals SATA ports if you use it. Unlike the Tomahawk it looks like it can run both 1x slots without impacting anything... but it has no front panel USB type C header.

This isn't totally new, for instance older boards often disable SATA ports if you install an M2 SSD, the difference with B550 is what gets shuffle around varies more from board to board.

tl,dr read the fine print on B550 specs before buying one.

My MSI B450M Mortar Max also works much like this. One of the M.2 slots disables a couple of SATA ports if you use it with a 4x M.2 drive, as I recall, because they share the same PCIe lanes to the CPU. I have also known B350 motherboards to do the same.

Edit: the manual usually mentions it, but it can be nearly impossible to find anything about it on the product pages, which sucks.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

space marine todd posted:

What's the reasoning behind picking the Noctua NH-U14S vs the Noctua NH-D15?

Less overkill and smaller size (so better compatibility with surrounding components)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

Alright y'all, my cousin has thrown down the gauntlet to me to create the best possible gaming computer on a $500 budget. She mostly plays indie games and older games, but is interested in Bloodlines 2 and a couple of other modern games. She won't be playing Doom Eternal, or anything super demanding, and this will be on a 1080p monitor. We also have access to a Microcenter.

Here's what I've been able to put together.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte A320 GA-A320M-S2H AMD AM4 mATX Motherboard ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Green 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB OC Video Card ($159.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 300 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($47.59 @ Amazon)
Total: $521.53

That, plus a Windows 10 cd key from SA mart is about the closest I could get. If the budget turns out to be strict, I could go down to a 240 SSD, but that's pretty tiny. I also could use a RX 560 for $100 from Microcenter, but getting the 1650 Super seemed like an accomplishment that I don't want to give back.

We could get a Microcenter Ryzen 5 3600 bundle for $210, but that's $50 more, and I just couldn't make that work.

So, how'd I do? How horrible is that motherboard & power supply? Any changes you'd make? Is this a computer that will just be disappointing? Should I be looking used/premade?

According to Gigabyte's website, the GA-A320M-S2H needs at least BIOS version F40 to support Ryzen 3 3100. I doubt they will be shipping such an old motherboard model with any kind of recent BIOS preinstalled, so you would almost certainly need an older CPU just to update the BIOS before it would even boot with the Ryzen 3. You would probably also need to do at least two BIOS updates (from whatever is installed up to F32 and then on to whatever new version is available) according to their BIOS downloads section notes.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

Alright, thanks to both of you! I ordered this today. I got the better case you suggested, and the power supply was out of stock, so I got this EVGA 500 W1 power supply which Johnny guru reviewed and basically said was surprisingly well made for the price. I was hoping for at least a bronze, but at this price, I'll settle for "not burning the house down." We decided not to get the MB upgrade, as we were already pushing it and I don't see upgrades for this machine happening. That said, to Bofast's point, Microcenter supposedly has done the BIOS update on this, and we will be checking when we pick it up. If that's not the case, we'll probably end up with the suggested B450M DS3H. All that, plus a $20 Logitech KB/Mouse bundle, a SA mart Windows key, and a local $40 craigslist monitor has produced, in theory, a <$650 after tax and shipping complete system that will at least modestly well play games and stuff. I didn't think it was possible, so thanks for the thread knowledge and the tweaks. I'll report back once it is working.

If the shop does it for you, that's great! :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Hyundai like all the other S Korean conglomerates make money on literally everything. Wouldn't be surprised if there was Hyundai life insurance, Hyundai assault rifles, and Hyundai tanks. Those things could be related.

They do have companies for shipbuilding, petroleum refining, real estate, a racing team and a bunch of other things.
A Hyundai branded drive is probably from what is now known as SK Hynix (formerly Hynix and before that Hyundai Electronics).

It amuses me that these South Korean chip makers are also ship makers, and I only found out about it when someone in a hardware thread did a typo and accidentally called Samsung one of the world's largest ship makers (which turned out to also be true). :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

Excellent :effortless: post!

Honestly even though a lot of B550s do weird poo poo with PCIe lanes, and in much more random ways than the B450s which were mostly consistent, I don't regard it as that much of a problem. It's only an issue when you start putting way more expansion junk in a PC than most people will ever need.

It does make a good case for the "just get the MATX Mortar" suggestion though. Even if you're putting it into a full ATX case, there's nothing wrong with that. I've had full-ATX regret the recent times I've repurposed old gear into a secondary PC or hand-me-down: this would be easier and cheaper if I'd been using MATX mobos and could make a smaller desktop out of them. Now there's a really good MATX board it makes a lot of sense.
Arguably, "just get the mATX Mortar MAX" was already a pretty good rule of thumb for B450. It was just ridiculously hard to find in North America for some odd reason.

sean10mm posted:

Yeah I'm old enough to remember when onboard audio, if it existed at all, was trash. I think at one point they even claimed onboard audio hurt game performance it was so lovely! :corsair:

Nvidia Soundstorm on their Nforce2 chipsets sounded a whole lot better than all the regular AC97 chips, as I recall.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The Gardenator posted:

Is it recommended to replace ssds (move them to secondary stroage) with newer tech when upgrading or are they more reliable than platter hdd?

Many of them can write crazy amounts of data before developing issues.
https://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead/

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

Hello PC building megathread, I have a PC building megaproblem and I need PC building megahelp. tl;dr: I recently assembled a new 3700x/3080 gaming PC that I'm quite happy with, except that certain games seem to be causing it to hard reboot. I suddenly see a black screen, then Windows booting up like normal. Event viewer shows no errors prior to the reboot in the Windows system log. And it's only specific games where I'm seeing this: I can play some newer and demanding games for hours with no issue, then switch to a game that was released a few years ago and I'll see a reboot in under an hour, sometimes as quickly as a couple minutes. My first thought was this looks like a hardware problem with my GPU or power supply, but I've been unable to isolate such a problem. I'm at my wits end, desperately updating drivers in hopes of a fix, so I'd appreciate any suggestions for further troubleshooting steps. Below I have more details on the build, which games are causing reboots, and the troubleshooting I've done so far.

First, here's my build:

These are games that I've played for hours at a time without a problem:

Metro Exodus
Death Stranding
Hades
Crusader Kings 3

And these are games that reliably cause reboots within an hour, sometimes as quickly as a couple minutes:

MGSV
Alien Isolation
Sekiro

This is my troubleshooting so far:

After a reboot I'll check the Windows system log in the Event Viewer, and each time it's silent for minutes before the reboot, only showing errors after the reboot that complain about the unexpected shutdown. Sounds like a power supply issue, right? So I plugged my PC into a 1000 watt UPS that displays wattage output. I can watch my PC draw ~470 watts for hours as I play Metro with vsync off and FPS uncapped, then I can load up Sekiro, which never crosses 400 watts, and I get reboots. Maybe temperature is getting too high? But I used the MSI Afterburner overlay to keep an eye on temps while playing, and the highest I ever see are 55C for the CPU and 65C for the GPU. Maybe it's bad memory? I ran memtest86 for several hours, long enough for about two and a half passes, with no errors. I've made sure that every last driver I can think of is up to date, from GPU to chipset to bluetooth, to no effect. My last guess at this point is that I have a faulty 3080 and need to RMA it, but after the pain I went through to get the thing, I'm reluctant to lose it for a couple weeks on a guess. Anyone have any ideas? :ohdear:

In case you still have issues with this, I had similar issues a while back and it ended up being my Vega 56 card. Swapped in an old GPU that I still had left over and the issues went away, so I got it refunded and bought a different card. No issues since.
This is what my reliability monitor looked like at the time :ohdear:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

spunkshui posted:

You laugh but I'm using one of these on a 1070 founders as I wait to see the 3080 TI vs 3080.

Gpu cant get over 55C

https://www.techpowerup.com/166415/arctic-releases-the-accelero-xtreme-iii-vga-cooler

I haven't really heard about Accelero since I used one of their enormous heatsinks to 100% passively cool my Radeon HD 4850 back in the day. It was fun, though.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nohearum posted:

I hope you weren't joking when you recommended this approach. Case still hasn't arrived and I got impatient.

:allears:
That's glorious

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

Not sure where to ask this but it didn't get much interest in the headphones thread. Is there a recommended PC mic for open mic gaming?

I have Sennheiser HD599s which have the 2.5mm jack so I can't use my old VModa boommic and the last 2.5mm headset mic I bought broke.

I've heard some things about the Mod Mic https://smile.amazon.com/Antlion-Au...n/dp/B07YN25KWN There's a USB one that's $15 more. This would go in the front of my case.

Keeping it off the desk would be nice and wouldn't something like a Blue Yeti pick up my keyboard? I have Cherry Reds so not too loud, but still.

The Blue Yeti can work just fine in some cases, but it varies a lot. I have one standing on my desk that works fine for open mic voice chat in Discord after I set the threshold manually but a friend of mine has the same one with roughly the same settings on the mic itself and we can hear his entire house much of the time.

I did put some folded up paper underneath my Yeti to stop it from picking up keyboard vibrations through the desk and now it barely picks up my Logitech G810 unless my typing gets really intense. Admittedly, I have no idea how loud Cherry Reds are compared to Romer-G switches.

edit:

A 9900K for $300? That's a pretty big price drop :eyepop:

Bofast fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 26, 2020

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Erfsom posted:

Where I am the Ryzen 5600 won't be in stock until late january, early february at best. However I did see some cheap Ryzen 2600 in stock, all other AM4 processors except for the expensive ones are sold out.

My question is this: Can I get a B550 motherboard, for example the Gigabyte B550 GAMING X and put a 2600 in there while I wait for the 5000 series to become available?

Side question; Should I get 3600mhz ram if the intention is to upgrade the CPU down the line?

I don't think any of the B550 boards will support CPUs that old. X570 might (not 100% sure about this), but B550 seems to be 3000 series or newer CPUs only

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I picked up one of the 1TB WD SN550 SSDs during Black Friday. It is fine for reading and short burst writes, but it really tanked when I tried copying over my Steam folder from my old S-ATA game SSD. Started with transfer speeds around 300 MB/s (probably limited by the old S-ATA drive) but after a minute or two it dropped to ~15 MB/s and stayed there.

Solid speeds copying back from it once I had replaced the other game drive, though. Just something to keep in mind.

Edit: I can't seem to replicate it anymore, so it must have been some temporary issue. Ignore this post.

Bofast fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 4, 2020

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Some Goon posted:

That's substantially lower than it was benched for, something is up here.

I tried to replicate it today and it's just not happening now. No idea what was wrong on the day when I installed it, but maybe some odd driver issue?
I edited my post to reflect this.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Farecoal posted:

True, but what about CPUs? Is it just the supply chains and it being the holidays?
Not entirely.

Intel CPUs have had varying degrees of supply issues since at least late 2018 or so, at least on the enterprise side. This is likely due in part to how they could not successfully ramp their 10nm process to replace 14nm capacity, and in part to the fact that Intel had to split their silicon wafers into bigger (and therefore fewer) 14nm chips to fight the multicore war against AMD.

Meanwhile, TSMC's 7nm process is booked full by various customers right now and whatever share of the silicon wafer starts AMD has managed to purchase on that process is being split between their CPUs, GPUs, Xbox chips and Playstation chips.

If demand would start to normalize early next year, that could help a bit, but a lot of it is simply that there is not enough manufacturing capacity and that new manufacturing lines/plants take a lot of money and time to set up in this industry.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Funso Banjo posted:

It’s sold by scan. Who are about as legit as it gets here in Britain

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-ryzen-5-3600-am4-zen-2-6-core-12-thread-36ghz-42ghz-turbo-32mb-l3-pcie-40-65w-oem

But yeah, upon closer readin, doesn’t mention the wraith, and upon receipt it Indeed does not include it. I assumed it would, because every time I’ve seen this cpu, it’s included a cooler. Not this time. I don’t mind, I’m happy to buy a cooler.

It's listed as an OEM version, which would probably be why it comes without a cooler.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Funso Banjo posted:

Ah, that’s clearly my fault, I missed it in a rush because 3600’s have been completely out of stock for about a week.

The OEM shouldn’t be a problem should it? I’ve fitted coolers before, admittedly a good few years ago, so I’m happy to do so now.

As far as I know OEM just means you don't get the normal full retail box with cooler (OEMs probably source their own anyway) and possibly different warranty terms depending on how things work in your country. It should not be any problem with the part itself.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Butterfly Valley posted:

So I did this today, basically having to rebuild my system, and it works! Thanks a lot for the advice and reassurance.

I've certainly learned a valuable lesson to not gently caress around with settings I don't understand, but at the same time I'm also proud of myself for figuring out how to disassemble the motherboard to get at the battery, because there was zero literature online about it and it was fiddly as gently caress. And generally my confidence has increased a lot through assembling and disassembling this thing a couple of times, just now tempered with a healthy dose of respect for BIOS settings and RAM timings.

Once you get your BIOS settings set up again, see if your BIOS has profiles that can be saved. If you ever need to reset things again in the future it can save time afterwards if you only have to reload the profile :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PirateBob posted:

Thank you, "Toxic Fart Syndrome". Although the gaming performance looks tempting with a 5600x, the delivery situation looks terrible atm. A 3700x will have to do. I'll probably be gpu limited in the most demanding games anyway. Can't afford €500+ for a gpu.

What is "the mobo's QVL"?

QVL means Qualified Vendor List and it's basically just a list of what specific memory kits have been tested by the motherboard manufacturer. You can typically see it if you look up the motherboard at its manufacturer's website and go to the support section.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

bus hustler posted:

Cinebench is like the most brutal thing on the processor though right? That's an extreme stress test you will pretty much never duplicate in real life no matter how you try*

*during "normal" computing/working/gaming

Think of that as essentially as hot as your system gets and it's not even in the danger zone. My ryzen cools down ridiculously fast even just alt-tabbing from a CPU intensive process.

If you do stuff in Blender or similar I guess that could duplicate the load, but then you're probably better off with just getting a 5900X or 5950X anyway.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
If you do want a Noctua cooler, a 5600X should be perfectly fine with the NH-U14S, which is a bit smaller and less overkill than the NH-D15, assuming you don't mind whatever colour scheme the NH-U14S is available in these days.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
If using a heavy CPU cooler or big GPU, I would probably place the case so that the motherboard is in a flat horizontal position with components on top of it. Should help lower stress on the motherboard from bumps in the road compared to if heavy components are sort of hanging off of its side.

I've never had an issue with it, though, and I've just had the case wrapped in a blanket to prevent obvious dents.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

iroguebot posted:

Yeah I'mma be honest the brown/cream is a real turn off, I hate to be that guy. Just eyeballing it looks like there's a 'Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler' that seems similar but is black and silver, the reviews seem okay on it?

Completely understandable. That's why I mentioned the colour scheme in the first place :)
I've never used it, so I don't know how good the NH-U12S chromax.black is, but Noctua does list the 5600X in its compatibility chart for that cooler, too.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I ran a Radeon HD 4850 passively cooled with some Accelero S1 or similar on it for years and it was perfectly fine in a case with very so-so airflow. Had better temps than the original GPU cooler, too.
You just need a big enough heatsink. :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Not the same board, but should be close enough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cQLYROKJ_Q

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Tons of RGB and a teeny little disco ball on the inside.

gently caress, now I know what I’m doing the next time I feel like cracking my case open.

At least having a disco ball inside the case sounds fairly original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Broken Machine posted:

I was browsing through the AMD ryzens that are out, and I like the specs of the 4750GE - it's fast but also energy efficient, and it has good integrated graphics with it. Near as I can tell it's not really available? I found a few complete systems with it available but none that are actually out yet, and it's not on ebay either - there are a few 4750gs available (the 65w version). Would you actually have to contact system builders and ask them to source one for you at that point? Maybe check back in a few months?

I have recently seen a few HP Elitedesk or Prodesk SKUs with the 4750GE in some Swedish online store but nothing that is showing up as in stock anymore.