Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Wasn't there a story a few years ago about a model of CT scanner or something that would randomly emit death rays if the operator pressed the wrong sequence of keys? I tried googling it but just get clickbait articles by Scared Parent Weekly with titles like ARE CT SCANS BAD FOR YOUR SPECIAL LITTLE ANGEL???

e: I mean a different story from the one above, I remember seeing adults with burns.

Are you...are you thinking of Therac? Y'know, THE story of a radiation machine that emitted too much because of operator error? Like, the actual machine whose very name has become a shorthand for design hubris and overreliance on software?

e: oops beaten but mine has more disgust and shaming at the idea that you'd post in this thread without knowing what Therac was. Next you'll tell me you've never heard of the Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory. Unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

TorpedoFish posted:

Important Flughafenfuckling update: Berlin Brandenburg Airport may actually open in 2011 2012 2014 2016October 2020!

Or...not.

Whoa they have a final solution?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sagebrush posted:

The government should seize the SawStop patent, open the license, and make it mandatory for all new saws sold.

Track saws can do pretty much everything a table saw can (dado cuts I suppose it can't but those are pretty dangerous anyway), are cheaper, don't require shop floor space, and most importantly are far less likely to injure you since it's basically an overgrown circ saw.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Good to see the zipline creator getting work still.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Which means piss is stored in the milk bottles people keep in their Piss Pantry.

Fun fact, if you remove all the milk bottles, behind them you'll find the tape.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Humerus posted:

The Six Flags thing really sucks because the guy who made the video is blaming the operator and I can guarantee that the operator was told by management to never, ever, under any circumstances, press the e stop without authorization from said management. Also, 10 seconds doesn't sound to me like enough time to really figure out what is even going on.

yeaaaaaahhhhhhh buuuuuut if I'm a ride operator, I've just started the ride cycle, and I hear a loud loving unexpected bang from the ride, I'm loving hitting that estop with all of my limbs, I don't give a poo poo about finding out what exactly happened. But yes, you're probably right that management told the operators they'd be instafired for hitting the button.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bad Munki posted:

Jimmy cracked corn

No1curr

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Username / post combo

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

PathAsc posted:

Re: farmchat

our beans usually are a wash.

So definitely doesn't amount to a hill then?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

LifeSunDeath posted:

This loving rules

It was even better than when Rexxed posted it two posts earlier.

(Really the takeaway here is that YouTube sucks for causing the demise of the YouTube Title Adder extension)

VV you know what you did

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 10, 2020

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Is THAT what happened to YouTube Link Title? I started using a different extension called YouTube Peek but I don't like it as much and it only works half the time anyway.

Apparently YouTube contacted the developer and said they needed to do an API audit (because the extension obviously was hitting the API pretty hard from a lot of places). The developer basically said he didn't have time or energy to deal with that and stopped developing the project - he open sourced it, or rather I think it was already open source but he said anyone who wants to take it over and deal with YouTube, feel free, but yeah that's why it got removed from the Chrome webstore and eventually stopped working if you had it installed (I think YouTube blocked the API key). And presumably no one wants to deal with YouTube's requirements, whatever they are.

Really annoying because it's one of those things you don't realize how useful it is until it's gone. There are some ViolentMonkey scripts that supposedly do the same thing but I haven't had much luck with any of them.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

evil_bunnY posted:

As others pointed out to you the chinese govt let it run rampant for a good long while before clamping down hard.
The UK govt seems intent on running a strategy of herd immunity through controlled contamination, which is basically fueling the fire with the bodies of the vulnerable and unlucky. It''s going to blow in their loving faces.

Counterpoint: the majority of the dead will be idiot boomers who wanted Brexit, so a new referendum after they're all dead might just flip it back to remaining. UK government is just playing 3D chess while the Brexiteers are out playing checkers.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Serephina posted:

Neat trick to bleed off excess speed, but how does he plan on getting back into the air? Or was it an emergency landing?

Easy, they'll just airdrop a treadmill for the plane to take off from.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

...gently up the road, merrily merrily merrily merrily, why the gently caress's it snowed!!?!?!!?!?!

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

A White Guy posted:

In some idiotic reports, I recently learned that my stepfather, who just two years ago almost stepped off this mortal coil due to a clotting disorder, is trying again. This time, he's been running around on his property with a lovely electric saw, falls trees that are way bigger than anything he should be tackling. He told me he felled a twenty inch tree with a slash cut and then showed me a video of him doing this. Slash cut, stand there and watch the tree fall, and then dinner time bragging about what a good sawyer he is. Zero eye protection, zero hard hat, zero proper footwear (he was wearing loving krocs), zero gloves, and zero idea of what the hell is doing. Dude is going to get horribly maimed once his expanding ego meets a tree that's well beyond his skills, but don't listen to me. After all, three years falling far larger and far more difficult dead trees is not what counts as experience in his idiot boomer head. :cripes:

You'd think with that much experience you'd be able to consistently spell the verb "felling" instead of getting one out of three attempts correct.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

bertolt rekt posted:

really glad this take no prisoners bad boy is on OUR side

drat I done got bertold.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Mozi posted:

*rolls down window*

"ah... good evening, what seems to be the problem officer?"

"is that coffee you're drinking there?"

"oh, yep. just coffee"

"mind if you take a sip for me right now?"

"oh... sure, no problem..."

*struggles to lift concrete-filled cup*

"Sir, why do you have 800 coffee cups stacked on your driveway?"

"Listen pal, if you have a better idea for how to anchor my motorcycle I'm all fuckin ears over here"

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Number_6 posted:

Instead of wasting a bunch of money on soul-crushing automated traffic systems, the USA desperately needs a new nationwide network of Autobahn-style hyperfreeways that is reserved for noncommercial traffic (i.e. no heavy trucks). Also for christ sakes bring back SST planes because we've been stuck at 580 MPH for like 60 loving years. The world needs to look a lot loving more like the Popular Science magazines I read as a teenager.

That's great, but you'd need to have properly educated drivers, i.e. more like what Germany does than the maybe 6 hours of instruction the US generally does before sending teenagers out in control of 2 tons of metal. And if you think getting US citizens to do the simple job of wearing a mask to prevent virus transmission during a pandemic is hard, wait until you even suggest that driving isn't a god given right to be handed out to any moron who asks hooboy let me tell ya whut you'd be crucified in front of a DMV mighty fast.

And that of course assumes these properly educated drivers aren't glancing at their phones. But yes, it would be great if we could drive the 150 mph that modern cars can achieve (well, not the shitboxes obviously) instead of being stuck at 70.

As far as SST, there are a couple companies developing new ones but they keep claiming it's only a few years away. So, 2040.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Antigravitas posted:

If you have a job, it's worth doing it properly :colbert:

Well yeah, it's annoying to keep coming up with solution after solution.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The White Dragon posted:

bull poo poo. in 1848 someone wanted to gently caress the flame atronach

Azhais posted:

There's a mod for that

Oh "flame atronach" means little boy?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

sharkytm posted:

LHD. They'll fix it.

I mean it's a loving US ship, why wouldn't it be LHD. You expect Are Navy to drive on the right hand side of the searoad??

idiot.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bad Munki posted:

No no, I’m quite sure it’s broken now.

braken

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, he tried braking, it didn’t work

So now it's breaken?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

grillster posted:

What thread is this from or do I need Archives?

Here you go:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3904642&perpage=40&pagenumber=338#post506623485

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

This guy by the way has three videos total, this one with 57 million views, one posted two years later with 32 million, and one posted three years after that with 7 million.

I think Youtube's algos give more weight to posting videos more frequently, but even so, I imagine this guy is making a decent chunk of money off Youtube for three videos.

I mean, presumably those videos were a lot of work, but still, that's pretty fuckin good considering how many Youtubers are out there posting a new video every week and struggling to make it past 100k views on any given video. Massive props to that guy.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Jabor posted:

What makes you think either of those images are from "after the explosion"?

Yeah this is also like the second person who's posted something like this. I really don't understand the thought process behind "what, it CAN'T be a picture of the warehouse, only a couple windows are broken!"

If you look at any of the aftermath shots, you would realize that everything in that picture, except for the people hopefully, is now reduced to a fine mist, nay, film, of atoms, and perhaps, just perhaps, these pictures were taken by someone before the events of today and reposted when said someone realized that it was a picture of the same warehouse that blew up.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

"Recently remodeled, with great ocean views!"

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Cojawfee posted:

Is it just the poor quality of the video or did she just will that drill bit into existence?

:confused:

It's just a pop-out drill bit? You can get them from anywhere, Home Depot, Amazon etc. They're really handy for working on marg machines.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

This is exactly the end I would expect to be lodged in there.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Knormal posted:

Not right now u don't.

fixed also more like u-stall

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

That's what you loving get, Mike! And other Mike!

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Memento posted:

I assume the impact that started the fire has twisted the frame enough to jam all the doors shut.

I also like that at some point the driver pulls the hood release.

"gently caress it just pull everything maybe something will open"

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Stanky Bean posted:

That tweet on the Damascus incident includes a photo of an 8 lb. 4 inch? socket. What type of application would a 4 inch diameter nut be necessary for?

I thought 4.5 was the average? this is very unsettling

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

CommieGIR posted:

Its important to remember that the metal may have also been weakened by a coal fire that had happened prior to and during the beginning of the trip from Belfast as well, likely weakened multiple bulkheads.

As the ship left Belfast, there was an ongoing coal fire below decks.

There was also an interesting documentary which was on Netflix/Amazon a while back but I can't be hosed to find it again, which posited that one thing that contributed heavily (well, the documentary was sensationalist hype so it was sold as " the actual reason the Titanic sank that no one has figured out until now ") was basically the mirage effect, caused by cold instead of heat. That is, the iceberg was hidden by the mirage effect caused by the intensely cold water, well below freezing, and that's why the lookouts didn't see it in time to turn, since after all it's described as taller than the ship and their entire job is to be on the lookout for bergs.

I mean few disasters are caused by only one thing, so the weak metal combined with the glancing blow (opening up too many compartments for the ship to survive) are definitely the other two major causes, but I'd never seen anyone mention the mirage issue before and I'd always wondered why the hell the event was described as "oh poo poo where'd that iceberg come from".

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

People who hate mythbusters love to bring this one up. “Oh they shot an actual cannonball from an actual cannon and it ended up in a house in a residential neighborhood” which is all true but in their defense that could have happened to anyone shooting a cannon in a populated area

Weeeeelllllll

The stupid thing about this is that it wasn't originally a populated area. The bomb range they did a lot of stuff at was originally set up, y'know, away from populated areas, because it was a BOMB RANGE.

Then idiot developers started putting houses near it. So as with all the other situations where this has happened, and if you count OSHA worthy sites like old factories and industrial areas in general that are now residential, who's really to blame?

I live half a mile from where an old manufacturing plant used to be which dumped shitloads of PCE into the ground, and the land is covered with expensive townhomes now. All of which have a lot of bullshit in their purchasing documents basically stating "you live on a chemical spill, if you get sick that's your problem". As stupid and lovely as the people who ran the factory were, and while it's clearly their fault the ground is now cancer, are they really responsible for the fact you can now buy a house sitting on top of their old site?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Counterpoint: no

edit:

Jabor posted:

The primary fault lies with the developer who built a bunch of houses on cheap land without doing proper remediation first.

But the company that poisoned the land and then sold it cheap to someone else instead of dealing with it themselves also has a big chunk of the blame.

This I can agree with, my point was simply the primary fault issue.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 26, 2021

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

KoRMaK posted:

the industrial barron defender has logged on

Sure, that's definitely why I said "As stupid and lovely as the people who ran the factory were, and while it's clearly their fault the ground is now cancer, ", because I was defending them you see

(Also I'm presuming you mean baron because I don't know what an industrial version of Trump's kid has to do with this)

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

KoRMaK posted:

Why'd you provide a counterpoint then???? Duh doi

Cool this has already become one of those <two idiots slapping each other> series of posts that everyone else hates to read.

Congrats you won the debat

you get a prize

it's cancer, enjoy

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

FatCow posted:

This is amazing. If the latency was low enough this would be unbelievable to weld with, using the output as your vision.

When I started watching the video I thought that's what it was and I was so excited :(.

That would revolutionize welding, a practice that's more akin to art and takes years of experience to get adequate results (TIG welding specifically) precisely because you can't really see what you're doing and have to just learn the feel and timing by repetition. If you could constantly see how far off the piece your tip was, and see how much weld you're putting in? Wow.

Of course then you'd get the purist faction insisting that that's cheating and not "real" welding, which would be a shorthand for saying "I slaved away for 30 years learning it the hard way and you should too".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Nth Doctor posted:

2. I was packing lunch for the kiddos before school one day, and was washing the knife I used to cut the apple slices. I wasn't careful and ended up with the sharp edge facing me while wrapped in the soapy washcloth and wiping it down. With practically no force, the blade sliced through the cloth

The ER bandaged me up and sent me on my way. I still use the sliced through cloth for hand-washing knives.

If nothing else it's always interesting to hear about the wacky ways people do things. You wash dishes with a CLOTH? Like, not a sponge, or a brush, but a piece of cloth with soap on it?

You do you dude but this seems very strange and not at all efficient given the lack of abrasion from a cloth vs a scrub brush or sponge/Brillo pad. (Also, y'know, with a long-handled brush it's pretty loving difficult to cut yourself washing a knife).

edit: check this poo poo out, stiff bristles plus a scraper for scraping stuck on food, $9 for a two pack.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 8, 2021