Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Good recent interview about the show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flFOf1y204w

esperterra posted:

I'm warning everyone, here and now, that I refuse to call Dandelion Jaskier. I will forever refer to him as Dandelion whilst discussing this streaming television program. Just keep this in mind.

He isn't Dandelion on the show? :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's The Witcher though

I was looking for this earlier today :allears:

itry fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 20, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Geralt sounds like a person who can go weeks without saying a word to anyone but his horse (and regularly does). He speaks quietly because a horse doesn't need to actually understand you for you to keep talking to it. It's perfect.

esperterra posted:

...or if they painted him so insanely evil as a means of conveying how loving scary those memories are for Ciri in the book. That poo poo haunts her.

I think they keep coming back to the shot of Cintra burning for the same reason.

Lil Peeler posted:

Did anyone else notice the weird loving editing in episode 1's the 2nd scene coverage shot where Geralt is riding back to Blaviken. It looks like they just took a horse cutout and moved it along in a few different edits. Super bizarre and I chalk it up to an oversight but lol

I think that's just small details that don't show well while streaming, at least in low definition.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Phenotype posted:

Ep7 What made Geralt come back to Cintra to get Ciri after all these years?

The answer is at the beginning of the episode. He saw the writing on the wall (Nilfgaardian soldiers marching around).

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The timeline of the show goes something like this:

Ciri's pov takes place in the show's present.
Geralt's pov starts around 30+ years before Ciri's.
Yennefer's starts hers around 50+ years BC.

They intersect here and there and they all converge in episode 8.

Someone can make a nice graph for this with accurate dates.

The benefit of this approach is that all 3 feel like a main pillar of the show, and that we get to "find" Geralt at the same time Ciri finds him.
(The weakness is confusing people).

mcbexx posted:

Speaking of, did we ever see the medallion vibrate? Also, the lack of Drowners was disappointing.

We see Cavill hold it a couple of times with some background noise.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, it's a little like hammering a square peg into a round hole, but it (borderline) worked for me.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Scooter_McCabe posted:

So I've never played the Witcher games, is it worth picking up Wild Hunt?

The GOTY edition is currently $15 on GOG. That's an absolute steal.
Take in mind that according to howlongtobeat.com it's a 133 hours game on average.

The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition is $3 on GOG and it's also worth playing. It's much shorter at 33 hours on average, but you could complete it in 4 if you know what you're doing iirc.

If you don't mind spoilers, this clip has some mild ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRsqAmuxjNk

I think it describes well why the games' plot and characters are so compelling.

I'm linking to GOG because CDPR get 100% of the profits from there.

JBP posted:

I really think this needed a long sequence in episode three in which Geralt painstakingly prepared himself. It's not made clear enough how his power works and what it takes for him to win. I also think that episode needed to include him stopping his heart with a potion for the ambush

That would've been a real good addition. I wonder why they didn't do anything like that. It would've taken a 5 minute scene at most.
That contract really deserved some prep work in addition to the investigative work.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Oof this show is dull. It was a slog to make it to the end of episode 2, and I really doubt we're gonna watch any more. Its a strange writing choice to have two hours of content and not set up what any characters are trying to accomplish.

Geralt is a pest exterminator. He travels the land doing his job and hoping people will pay him for it.
Yennefer is trying to fill the gaping hole at her core that was created by her awful upbringing.
Ciri is trying to survive and look for Geralt because that's what her grandma told her to do. She's 12.

itry fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 22, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

A Night to Remember, beyond being very impressive cinematically, is also great at showcasing game mechanics such as bombs (Moon Dust), signs (Quen/Aard), potions (Black Blood). It's a really good trailer.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

MeatwadIsGod posted:

All I want is a rock troll

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Maybe they didn't show Emhyr because Charles Dance was busy. :v:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

davidspackage posted:

Speaking of unnecessary, people get killed at the drop of a hat on this show, with very little consequence. Geralt, Duny and Eist seem to slaughter half of Calanthe's guards and party guests if all the bad looking CG blood spurts are any indication, which seems like it should be more of a problem.

Yeah, that bothered me too while I was watching. Calanthe just says stop, plus an inexplicable whirlwind suddenly appears, and everything's fine. No hurt feelings.

They probably wanted to pad the episode with a fight that wasn't even as good as the earlier fights in the show. They could have done anything else instead.

davidspackage posted:

In fact, overall I feel the costumes look kind of wretched. There's no unified ideas or motifs, it's like it's been scavenged together from other fantasy shows. Every king or queen's crown looks like it wasn't made to fit them.

Somebody said in this thread that they're overhauling their design/costume department for the next season. Hopefully the quality will increase.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

This isn't GoT, and that's a good thing.

Casting for this show is pretty good, so if they want him to play Vesemir I'm all for it.

Geralt: Hmm
Dandelion: Hhgh
Guard: Ugh

:allears:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Synastren posted:

I appreciate that the sword in the brooch has been replaced with a real one, but it's clearly the same thing. Black grip on the brooch and real sword is a nice touch.

That's pretty cool. Nice catch.

zoux posted:

Still can’t believe they broke down his lute and kicked in his teeth 😔

He got better :haw:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think that because Geralt is tied to Ciri (Law of Surprise) and is also tied to Yennefer (Last Wish) then Yen is also tied to Ciri. It's math. :v:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Seconding the Witcher 2 recommendation. You can mod the combat if you don't like it.

There was a rebalance mod you could download on http://redkit.cdprojektred.com/ (doesn't work now)
I think this is it: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/822
iirc, CDPR hired the guy who made it.

zoux posted:

What is the total playtime of Witcher 3 if you do everything? Skipping like “collect every fuckberry” stuff

If it's your first time playing it's likely to take 150+ hours.

https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=40171

zoux posted:

Also should I play it with the mod that makes Geralt look like Cavill

The what now?

:stare:

itry fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 27, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Torquemada posted:

Reminding me I need to do W2 again to see Iorveth’s side of things.

You need to remedy that asap. That's the best side.

Phenotype posted:

Should I play The Witcher 2 first? I own them both on Steam apparently, I was just getting W3 downloaded tonight. Does the story continue from 2 into 3 or are they totally separate stories?

I'd say you should definitely play the second game before the third one. It's really good and it does lay out some groundwork for W3 - political situation, character relationships, the Wild Hunt, etc.

Linking this clip again about the first/second Witcher games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRsqAmuxjNk
Goes into characterization and themes. Mild general spoilers for W2.

Play the first if you just want more of the settings. The game itself isn't very good mechanically, and it has a self-contained story.

itry fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 27, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Pollyanna posted:

Goddammit, this show makes me want to actually finish Witcher 3, but I was rubbish at the combat and I couldn't wrap my head around the equipment advancement/enhancement system. Are there tutorials anywhere?

From the W3 game thread:

Orv posted:

6/10/17: Pellisworth's excellent spoiler-free newbie guide in second post. Read It.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Along with an image of the timeline probably. It's not supposed to be a twist.

Anyway, the show is based on the books, specifically the two short story collections from the 90's. They all take place before the games.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Pretty sure one of the endings for TW2 has Upper Aedirn survive Nilfgaard. It's one of the possible endings for the Iorveth path.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Frionnel posted:

I really dislike the depiction of magic the show went for, specifically it consuming your life force or whatever.

For one, it makes Aretuza a really brutal place, the way they turn poor students into eels to power up the school. As mentioned by others Yennefer sends Ciri to this place later on. Would she really have done this if there was a chance Ciri would get non chalantly turned into a battery?. Mages characterized as elite, rich, power hungry, decadent, but human sacrifice is too much and made me instantly loose any sympathy for Tissaia and everyone else.

Then these two Nilfgaardian mages sacrifice their lives to create like, a lovely fireball? That get deflected instantly with no ill effects to the defenders? I think later on this will create a problem where important mage characters are obviously immune to the ill effects of magic as they do awesome stuff. Yennefer is supposed to go blind after this battle, but that's too little for creating a firestorm if a measly fireball cost the lives of two mages, idk. And of course Nilfgaard has no problem sacrificing these mages like this because they're religious fanatics now which is the other bad part of this show for me.

Geralt's parts were good though.

I don't like it either. Especially the eel thing. But Yennefer didn't create the fire, she took it from the burning buildings and directed it somewhere else. Like the lightning in the bottle.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Maybe those human fire balls were prisoners. :shrug:

Kaedric posted:

Another case of making a 'for tv' decision that kinda sucks tbh: late book spoilers The show says 'fire magic is forbidden' which is a (dumb) twist on *drawing* from fire as a source being *dangerous*. In the books mages generally use water or the earth as sources for their magic, as they are stable. Ciri, while lost in a desert and dying of hunger/dehydration, without any magic in the area to draw from ends up trying to use a small fire as a source to cast magic and heal her wounded unicorn companion, against Yennefer's previous warnings. Ends up being like PCP where she believes herself capable of anything with the huge amount of power available to her and she goes a bit mad with it, until she actually burns out her ability to use magic entirely. From that point on she's unable to do even the simplest of spells. I like that bit of sacrifice better than just 'oh hey have a mook wizard come over and turn into dust so we can cast a thing'.

They probably won't even bother adapting the unicorn thing.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Tythas posted:

Cavill said in an interview that he would wear the armour everyday no matter what he was doing, he even slept in it to make it look worn

Do you remember what interview it was? Pretty cool if Cavill came up with the idea.

:tipshat:

itry fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 27, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Any intentions of editing the OP?

Kaedric posted:

Not at all, his prophecy didn't rhyme, therefore it wasn't true.

:hmmyes:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

esperterra posted:

To add the timeline stuff, or something else?

Timeline, characters bio, maybe links to the game threads. Stuff like that.

What I'm saying is lean into your effort posting self. :toot:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That's arguably just bad character writing. Regardless, Dijkstra's plan was a pipe dream, and you'd be a bad Geralt to support it. :colbert:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's not fantasy PTSD.

Imagine being an unwanted child taken to a scary remote place with lots of weird mutated old guys and being subjected to what seems (to you) to be unsual and cruel punishment in the form of grueling training. And after years of that 70% of your friends get killed in the Trial of the Grasses.

You'd be a little grumpy too.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Just left Brokilon forest. I have only played small amounts of the game. I've enjoyed it, but there's some missing elements. Mainly with Yennefer.

I found Yenn's origin compelling, but why she's lame and weak after 30 years I don't understand.

If you're talking about the episode with the assassin, she was weak because she's been "wiping royal asses" for 30 years instead of challenging herself.

itry fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 30, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

codswallop posted:

Makes sense! And if their Order was destroyed, I imagine they'd probably have to practice on a few kids before refining their first-hand memories of the ordeal into the most workable practices.

Were girl-children ever put through the process? Is Calanthe over here thinking that her Ciri is in danger of being Witcher'd if Geralt claims her?

There are only male witchers. Women don't survive the mutation process according to the books, iirc.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

chaosapiant posted:

I first saw Cavill in the Count of Monte Cristo and he was good in that, and I far prefer him to Reeves in his Superman role. Haven't seen Mission Impossible. But he does really well in every role I've seen him in, especially as Geralt, and never quite get the criticism of him.

Same. :shrug:

What's charisma got to do with reading a book?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Alhazred posted:

He shows more natural charisma reading the book than during the show, so I have to assume making Geralt boring and uncharismatic was an intentional choice by the ones producing the show and not by Cavill. The show was fine but Geralt was the worst thing about it. It would honestly be much better if the show focused on the mages, it certainly seems like that was what writers were most interested by.

I actually did like that the show made the viewer figure out the various timelines in the show and I wish that more shows would do the same. We don't always need letters on the screen saying "ten years ago" or "now".

Ah, got it.

I think hobbesmaster is correct in saying Cavill will have more to work with next season with Geralt showing more of his human side.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Geralt's code isn't just an excuse. Not killing sentient "monsters" that are just stealing food or scaring people because they look mean is a good thing.

And Lambert's a prick. He wanted to kill the rock trolls. That's unforgivable. :colbert:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Netflix has English subtitles if you're struggling with mumbling/names. :downs:

steinrokkan posted:

It's an excuse in the sense that it's much easier to refer to some made up guild bylaw prohibiting the killing of intelligent monsters than to argue with an angry village elder that you aren't going to kill the local godling because it would be wrong.

Yeah, it would be easier to just present a code as a reason in that instance.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Geralt will kill sentient monsters if they attack first or if they are causing other kinds of damage to people. Trolls are a thing of the past in my Drunken Bomb Flinging rear end in a top hat playthrough.

That one drunken contract was indeed extremely fun, but I can't see myself playing the entire game that way.

Herostratus posted:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/netflix-reportedly-greenlit-season-3-witcher/

TLDR, sources (hopefully reliable) say the show has been greenlit for a third season, to be based on the second Witcher novel, Time of Contempt.

:aaaaa: if true

Edit:

He made a full version too (Soundcloud). :allears:

itry fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 31, 2019

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Also that farmer guy brought the only grain they had, because it takes people to harvest and collect grain and most of those people were killed.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah I don't think their boots even have straps.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Arglebargle III posted:

Where did you learn this?

In the game the guy says they don't have enough for the captain's first "request" because the Temerians came through and took all their grain. They most likely also took volunteers to fight the war. Then the Nilfgardians came in and killed some of the local population. Who's going to plant or harvest?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like that Borch himself admits he's not very good with names in the book. He knows it's a stupid name but he had a hard time picking one he liked.

Just like Geralt! :v:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

iirc, some of the VFX were made by the same people behind Avengers Endgame.
There was a lot more CGI than just that sad looking dragon. They probably just ran out of money/time.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

evilmiera posted:

The Striga was REALLY good in comparison to the rest of the monsters and a lot of the magic. Sound design, how it looked, making it actually frightening, all good stuff.

I'm almost thinking that scene and some of the siege stuff was where they blew their budget.

Edit: And I don't mind them not spending a lot of time in Brokilon, since I kept hearing it as Broccoli.

The Striga fight was pretty good overall. The CGI in the Geralt vs. 7 not-dwarfs fight was good too.

All the times he used Aard were great.

Elfface posted:

I think it got lost in arguments, but going back to Fringilla and mage assignment, my reading of the situation is that the council didn't want her there because they were worried she'd do exactly what she did: advise them on how to be a world power, and not an easily controlled small kingdom.

Fringilla was clearly influenced by Nilfgaard, not the other way around.

Strong Convections posted:

Maybe it's me, maybe I'm the one taking crazy pills, but in the djinn episode do people really think it was about Geralt wishing for sleep?

I thought (since it gets called out as ridiculous multiple times and he's cagey about it), it was meant to very obviously be that he's been hunting down leads for a djinn for a wish to undo the child surprise stuff. That yes, technically he can't sleep, but his wish isn't going to be salve on a tumour - he's planning to wish away what's keeping him awake at night.

That's some next level overthinking.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The series has already been picked up for another season, and the third season is rumoured to be greenlit. I'm hopeful we'll get at least 5 seasons.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

stev posted:

They've now renewed Stranger Things, The Crown and 13 Reasons Why for fourth seasons, so they might be getting a bit more generous - or they might be replacing their previous big hitters.

Maybe they're changing their strategies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

How about Cavill shaving with a dagger, then?