Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Cojawfee posted:

Lal is a great example of when British people decide to just pronounce a word weirdly. Everyone else in the show says her name correctly, except Picard who keeps saying 'laaaal"

At least he doesn't say Data's name like "Data" instead of "Data" like everyone else!! I'm lookin at you Dr. Pulaski!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Duckula posted:

I can tell you that the Starfleet Academy show is definitely a thing. The rest is most likely made up.

Guinan's coming back because Patrick Stewart invited Whoopi Goldberg to appear in season 2 live on her show and she said yes.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

It's Zhat Vash

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hey so are we gonna talk about how the only person of color on the show is a drug addicted gently caress up?

I've got some questions about what you think "person of color" means

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Arglebargle III posted:

Are we prepared to unpack "person of color" in this thread as a chauvinist American neologism so incredibly reductive as to lump together the 7.1 billion people on Earth who aren't of European ancestry lmao?

Of course, the correct answer is that Chairman Oh is a Vulcan and therefore isn't really East Asian at all.

And Dahj and Soji are are synths so aren't half Filipino

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I know what he's saying is that logically we can conclude that Oh isn't Vulcan, but I wanted it to be "Vulcan's just think sunglasses look cool af"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just imagine how many flavors of Capri Sun they have in the 24th century :popeye:

Ferengi Mango is my favorite 24th century Capri Sun flavor

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Drink-Mix Man posted:

What are you talking about, the main antagonist in Measure is a central plot point for Picard

Please don't let facts get in the way of someone who's already decided they don't like the show being snarky.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

kidkissinger posted:

was that character actually named "vajazzle"?

Bjayzl, but well, yeah.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Know what I just remembered? Jurati acts like Maddox making cookies from scratch is the weirdest, most unknown thing. Sisko's father was a famous chef - did anybody ever get weirded out by someone devoting their lives to manual cooking on DS9?

OTOH, I definitely remember Keiko getting weirded out by Miles doing some home cooking, so.

Probably different when they make it their job, as it fills a niche. When it's someone in Starfleet doing it every so often it's more of a "oh that's weird... why?" kind of thing.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

zoux posted:

What's the first instance of time travel in the franchise? Surely not IV

There were plenty of time travel episodes in TOS, 1 where the Enterprise literally just traveled back in time to watch 1960s America for shits and giggles.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

zoux posted:

Oh I thought those were all planets who parallely developed into Nazi and Gangster Planets

In "Assignment: Earth" they literally traveled back in time to 1968 (air date) to observe things that I guess weren't recorded historically. There were other episodes where the Enterprise was actually forced back into the past "Tomorrow is Yesterday" or they used the Guardian of Forever to travel back as well in "City on the Edge of Forever".

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

zoux posted:

Which one of those was the Gary Seven backdoor pilot?

Assignment: Earth.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

MikeJF posted:

gently caress it, make it an anthology. Next season is Star Trek: Riker.

This is just a cooking show, right?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Tighclops posted:

Riker eat the eggs

He would

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

mllaneza posted:

My Dinner With Riker. Every episode someone else visits and they all hang out and cook and eat amazing food with weird alien ingredients mixed in.

Do they get drunk through the show or do they start drunk and then get more drunk through the show?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Animal-Mother posted:

How does Soong have a son when his wife was a robot?

Well if Data was Fully Functional...

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Bloop posted:

In this case it's both a joke about dumb ships and a metaphor for the division between the upper and lower decks

Probably, it's a comedy

The arrow from the title is still pointing at the saucer section, so as much as that metaphor would make sense I don't actually think it's correct here.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CPColin posted:

I'm a little apprehensive about jumping into LDS. I mean, I did so much of it in the 60's that I probably missed somebody already making this joke.

The hell they didn't.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Arglebargle III posted:

CBS All Access is doomed no matter what they do with Star Trek.

It now has Champions League/Europa League, but even that probably isn't enough really.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

feedmyleg posted:

Sure feels like it. But the great thing about societal progress is that what once had to be coded in order to be accepted by audiences can now be explicit.

At least we got some cool aliens from it though

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

G-III posted:

I'm glad discovery has a new setting for S3 that way we can keep the dumbassery of that show solidly air gapped from the rest of trek.

Wrong, they're going to find a way to save the past just so they can stick their dick into everything

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ginyu. :ssj:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Bloop posted:

I mean that was offhand and you three are all correct.

Need to add them to the ranking

Also Ron, Stubing, Bridger, Crunch, and Atom

Well you're also missing Malcolm Reynolds, and Mercer.

Keltar posted:

Are you going to let that insult of not naming Ginyu pass or are you going to give a rather pointed pose to tell him off.

You're right, hey OP

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I voted no but only so that they can keep getting longer and longer probations after making bad posts here, therefor stopping them from posting anywhere.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

esperterra posted:

The long game.

piratepilates posted:

thank you for your honesty.

Well yeah, don't want anyone thinking that someone out there wants them posting

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

If you would like to quote this post!

If you already have three gang tags, tell me which one you'd like to lose. If you don't want to lose any proceed w/ your own caution. The limit of gang tags is nebulous and you may get them axed by another mod or admin if they find your av/tag/text combo too excessive.

If you want your current tags rearranged or your text changed, I can do that as well.

I apologize ahead of time for the spam this might cause. It's just easier for me to organize and make sure I don't miss anybody! Feel free to quote me in your regular-rear end discussion posts if you were already going to say smth so we can keep this at least kind of neat.

thx in advance

Checking how many tags I have

Edit: Can you put aliasing.jpg top, gp2.jpg middle, and bij.gif bottom please

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Bilirubin posted:

ok what was the name of the ship Riker commanded in Picard?

The USS Zheng He, but he was only acting captain there.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

This was a fun read :allears:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I have to wonder what this all means for Calypso. The ship was sitting there for 1000 years and the Federation had become the V'draysh. In 3188 it's still called the Federation so does that mean Calpso might not have occurred for another 1000 years, in the 42nd century?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Bloop posted:

Is she in a position to offer field commissions?

If they find someone who can tell her not to, that's a resounding success for the guy who now gets a real commission from actual 32nd century Starfleet. If they don't find someone who can tell her not to, then there's no problem with her having done it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Seemlar posted:

You have to squint a bit or have a big display, but you can actually see what his sensor scans say

UNIDENTIFIED STARSHIP
Intermittent long range sensor contact
No response to hail: Possible transmission error
Indeterminate warp signature: Possible non-Federation
Last recorded speed: Warp 8

They really could be anything, whether they're holdouts like Sahil, old salvaged ships, etc.

Wait so was he lying then?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Maybe he has no reason to think this unidentified ship is her Federation ship, but that's the angle I was looking at it from.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Wheezle posted:

Not really a spoiler but she was onboard Discovery at the end of season 2

I think the real question is how does she get back to whatever time her show takes place. Unless it's section 31 in the 32nd century. Which would make no sense.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Seemlar posted:

Unspoiling this isn't it isn't one, but why do you think Section 31 wouldn't be in the 32nd century? It's such a strangely common view.

The ongoing thing with Georgiou that they emphasized in season 2 is that no matter how much she pretends otherwise she genuinely cares about Burnham and sees her as daughter figure. So what seems more likely, her founding or working with a future Section 31 to protect the New Federation from the shadows in ways her naive daughter won't, which means she can show up in more of Discovery any time they feel like it or... traveling to the past to... work for Ash Tyler in 2258, separated from the only major plotline she's had to date with no ability to revisit it?

Even before the reveal that time travel is no longer possible her going back would be the thing that doesn't make sense

My thinking was that it would be extremely weird if someone from 1000 years ago showed up and inserted themselves/took over a shadow government. She doesn't know the time, modern tech, modern factions, so unless everyone at 32nd century Section 31 are tactical morons they don't really need her.

Imagine William the Conqueror shows up today, MI5 isn't going to jump at giving him a job.

However, this is Star Trek so maybe none of that matters.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

MikeJF posted:

From the way that they talked about self sufficient and split off, I wouldn't be surprised if most of Sol's colonies just moved back to Earth in the immediate time after the Burn, where you don't suffocate if something goes wrong, and Titan was the only one that said 'nah gently caress you'. Mars would've been the best other candidate to keep going, but assuming it was a shipyard again the planet could easily have been decimated to the point of abandonment.

No one travels at warp in a shipyard so it'll have been largely unaffected, other than being rendered less useful as there isn't a demand for interstellar ships anymore.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

It is a real shame it's taken 3 seasons for what feels like an actual good season, because any attempts at a rewatch or convincing someone else to watch the show means navigating Klingon sex torture.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

piratepilates posted:

gently caress yesss 360 here we go, I love circlessssss.

I'm gonna do a 360 and go back to page 359

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting she now has the accumulated knowledge of prior hosts to break things and look smart with.

This means she can give a first hand account of what happened around the time of The Burn. I wonder if she actually will though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Crusader posted:

ok, last guess for federation headquarters before the episode: please be Qo'noS

Would be legit surprised if it's not Kronos or Vulcan just because of Burnham's response