Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Dustcat posted:

where is the fish anyway, has anybody been keeping an eye on it

we regret to inform you the fish were imaginary all along

https://theecologist.org/2019/sep/25/cod-stocks-uk-risk-collapse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

I was honestly just trying to provide clarification, chill out, drat

clarification is antistatue

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Jose posted:

threatening to nuke someone because they interrupted twitch

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1371795119779807236?s=20

Tories weak on national security, happy to let rogue states gently caress about with our statues without getting nuked

add statue interference to this list immediately

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Are these the people that the progressive alliance is looking to defeat?

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Send the moai home you loving cunts

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

bitterandtwisted posted:

unless she dies in a funny way like a gargoyle falls on her

have you not seen the news? he's been dead since friday

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

the article from the dude is this one, worth taking with a grain of salt cause hes kinda a melty dude but he seems to be an economic lefty who just wants to end neoliberalism and libertarianism's hold over the UK economy. its also probably the time hes most pissed off with corbyn and he reconciles a little later, though never comes back to advise policy.
plus its from 2016 so some stuff may have come back later.

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/07/17/the-rise-and-fall-of-corbyns-economics/

its all gonna be controversial but obviously point 1 is my bugbear that i've rambled on about since it happened. but the third and fourth points are something you do see coming up again and again in critiquies of the corbyn crew by people who worked with them. that they just don't communicate effectively or just straight up blank people and that its more about messaging to the fans than doing things.
I think its entirely possible they actually alienated the not insanely hostile chunk of the PLP just by being like this, you got a lot of MPs over time saying theyd gone to the leadership with concerns and got absolute silence back.

for me its actually stuff like this i look back on as the failures, not a failure to give "big john" a machine gun and go around slaying blairites, though that woulda been good to watch too

Aren't points three and four there the kind of thing that was described in the report into the internal sabotage that was going on? Like the leaders office would issue a statement and then the comms dept would lose it down the back of the sofa instead of providing it to the media?

I can't remember and it doesn't matter anymore because the right have turned out to even more powerful at sabotaging themselves so who gives a gently caress, and it doesn't change the first point he makes, but still that might not be fair to put on the plate of Corbyn

I suppose one could say he should have done a nice big purge but as others have stated more eloquently in recent posts he isn't really the type. Plus even if he had purged Tom Watson & his ilk they would still have been in the newspapers every day except now whining about how Jeremy is pol pot and everyone is going to the gulag and he's going to personally build a skull tower

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

How long until there are more elections? This is turning out to be a lot of good fun I think I'd be ok with letting Jess Phillips be the leader for a while if there are more humiliating defeats for her too

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

the far right newspaper

the definite article bringing the lmaos

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Jose posted:

The BBC have probably done more damage to getting anything done about climate change than any other organisation in the UK.

Environmentalist ffs

Yesterday the front page of bbc news was code red climate emergency. Today completely gone all better now have you heard about those a level results wow you should buy a car maybe

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Looke posted:

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/1435240314109845508?s=20

normally all for big john, but in this situation gently caress the OAPs

Pensioners of tomorrow lmao this loving imbecile should read the climate change thread

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

gonadic io posted:

I've come around to the idea of insulation being the key sticking point because it's so obviously an easy win with essentially zero downsides and a very quick payback period so if we won't even do that, what hope do we have for actually doing anything harder

There's literally no way this country could do it. The most likely outcome is that some friend of a minister would set up a company that six days later is given fifty billion, delivers nothing, and gets to keep all the money anyway. Even if they accidentally gave it to someone who planned to try, we would not be able to manufacture/import the insulating materials, or distribute them, or hire, organise & train installers.

The Victorians were able to build a sewerage system from nothing. 150 years of technology development later and we apparently can't replace it. We literally cannot dig a hole for a pipe, because it is more profitable to make the poors wallow in filth. Worth keeping in mind for next time some technology solution is proposed for the ongoing biosphere collapse: We can't dig a loving hole.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

gonadic io posted:

That's exactly in fact what did happen, and then last week the gov announced a new version of this for like 100 mil which is enough for, uh, 0.1% of uk homes or something
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/mar/27/uk-government-scraps-green-homes-grant-after-six-months

:chefkiss:

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Isn't the phrase they are looking for "pull the plug"?

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Charles-tier sausfingies

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

gonadic io posted:

maybe I'm just jaded but who gives a poo poo about this party now vs the hundreds of other things they've done and lied about. seems to me that the press, half of whom were there, know this is the kind of issue people forget about within a week

Its absolutely hilarious that we are supposed to believe that no journalists were there or knew about it for a whole year and it was kept a perfect flawless secret the entire time and then all of a sudden everyone knows about it and there is a video. Its so transparently obvious that the goal is to completely prevent any possibility of a Christmas lockdown in the face of omicron. I hope the crematoriums are well stocked for fuel because Jan/Feb is going to be quite something

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

He's always been fairly ruthless when it came to family fiances.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

The solution to this and everything else is going to be "have a big war"

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

The mob have to take responsibility for their actions hahaha holy poo poo the lib brainworms

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

quote:

I don’t feel safe telling people I work for the Home Office

Actually it is me, the home office employee, who is the victim here

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

The long arm of the long Corbyn

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Steve Korma

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Typical guardian typo, it's supposed to be

The cowards that enabled him: Jonathan Freedland

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1531667219620438017

quote:

with Prince Andrew, I think we all need to step back a bit

Furthermore I believe the protocol is that one never turns one's back on the prince

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

the whole list is bad but somehow him having african and first nations titles is particularly insulting

If nothing else it feels like they've missed the opportunity for some laughs

Most Senior Brother of the Great Nonce
Knight of the Order of the Splendid Sosage Fingies
Most Excellent and Ruthless Wife Murderer

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

CoolCab posted:

several times he frames it like no one has been DARING enough to use the freedom of information act this way! like yeah mate no one has ever tried to use it to grant fuckin wishes either you moron.

I laughed out loud (lol) when he said the ICO was breathing down his neck. The ICO is about as intimidating as a marshmallow

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

keep punching joe posted:

calling a focus group consisting of red faced cabbies from essex, to run the new three word slogan by them.

Labour: not racist but

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Rustybear posted:

i dont know where to begin: the non-idiomatic use of 'cavern';

She means chasm she is just catastrophically stupid

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62539973

enjoyed this little segment;

the loving bbc posted:

Six people had been due to stand trial in November. Several of them had already been convicted without their knowledge via a new fast-track system, but appealed against the decisions and secured full hearings.

yeah just secret convicting people like an entirely non-fascist country, very good indeed

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Spangly A posted:

They have a judge rubber stamp the conviction and no there is no defence. One of the women didn't know she had a criminal record until she was asked to comment by one of the papers

According to this it's a magistrate not a judge; https://www.theguardian.com/law/2019/aug/19/defendants-face-conviction-by-not-entering-plea

the loving guardian posted:

The rulings, made by a single magistrate sitting with a legal adviser

Presumably magistrates are carefully trained for this reponsibility?

https://www.gov.uk/become-magistrate/can-you-be-a-magistrate

lol 3 days

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Demand will decrease by 2024 because people will have disassembled their boilers and used the parts to fashion makeshift chimneys so they can keep themselves warm by burning the floorboards

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

a_pineapple posted:

Brits I just want 2 remind you that we americans invented the term "Cool Zone" and you are not authorized to use it this winter sorry rules are rules.

Consider using the term "Cool Zone UK" to avoid infringement.

CHeers

Cold zone

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a competition. who will utterly destroy the uk first, the us or the uk?

Wildcard: putin (by nuke)

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

quote:

We looked out for each other. Because we had to. Could that same sense of community togetherness be kindled today? Boy, do we need it.

And blackouts could be just the ticket to shake some of today’s youngsters out of that sublime sense of entitlement and self-righteousness.

fostering community spirit by telling the young'uns to go and gently caress themselves

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

a complete dunce and idiot getting exposed for all the world to see because everyone pretended that they had to take her seriously, in turn because she was a senior tory. well she's a halfwit and always was, RIP

The emperor's new truss

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I wonder how many British families will die this winter from carbon monoxide poisoning after they try to take the simple homespun advice of these journalists and start a fire or BBQ in their living room. Is this one of those over/under things everyone gets mad about? I think seven

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Equal parts excited and terrified to experience 18 months of Boris unchained

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Fun to remember those protesters who said we should insultate the houses better, were they listened to? No, the bogpeople of poo poo island tried to run them over and then sent them to prison lol

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Quotey posted:

loving pumped for the kings christmas speech

Will he wrap his fingers in bacon? Excited to find out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Wombies