Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Not men. Us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Bismuth posted:

Why did you edit out the funniest part

I didn't think it was appropriate.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

Horses are very sweet animals, but they're dangerously stupid. It takes training and practice to not get hosed up by one in the course of its usual business. Fighting one would surely end in disaster for all involved.

I feel like if a person tried to fight a horse, the horse would just kick them. The person would be hosed up; the horse would be fine.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
So the conspiracy theory is that Joe Biden paid a guy to bring a gun into a school and pretend to shoot a bunch of kids and also paid all of the teachers and students at the school to pretend that a bunch of kids were killed and also paid a bunch of childless married couples to pretend that their kids got shot by this guy. This doesn't even make sense on the face of it! Bribing that many people would be exorbitantly expensive. And having so many people (several hundred actors at least) in on it makes it extremely likely at least one of them will talk. Even if you believe Biden is part of some great conspiracy, wouldn't it make more sense for him just to pay 1 person to walk into a school with a gun and just shoot a bunch of kids? That's so much simpler, easier to keep secret (since only 1 person needs to be in on it instead of hundreds), and cheaper (only 1 person needs to be bribed instead of hundreds).

Why would anyone believe in the crisis actors theory, even if for some reason they believed Biden was behind the shooting?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Why, you think she's Granos, or something?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Memento posted:

that was load-bearing smut.

That is such a great phrase

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Is PFTCommenter being facetious here, or is this a sincere opinion? There are people that talk/think like this and this sort of argument drives me mental.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Well, I met a man on the way here who said that didn't happen, so...

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

Wow, I cannot believe my mom stooped so low...

Someone once posted an explanation on this forum of what water displacement boy really meant by this. Does anyone have it?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

It is possible that the 'Vaccine' turns you into spider-man.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I know this dude in real life. He's been getting progressively more and more demented as the pandemic has gone on.

Isn't everyone getting more demented as the pandemic continues? I certainly am.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Biplane posted:

I'm a ligma male.

What is male?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Fill my hole, Superman!

The center of the upper chest is where most superheros have their emblem, like Superman's <S> or Batman's bat logo. Powergirl's artist, of course, chooses to have her breast window there.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

On the other hand, if you told the riderless horse to go run the course, it would immediately jump into the stands and waffle-stomp some grandma's tits into oblivion, then fall back into the ring, snapping its neck as 8 gallons of death-diarrhea jet out of its rear end.

So the rider may have something to do with it.

I read a book once that argued racehorses want to race. The argument was that when a jockey falls off their racehorse, the horse nearly always finishes the race anyway (and often places well, since it doesn't have a heavy rider weighing it down anymore).

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

According to https://palliative.stanford.edu/home-hospice-home-care-of-the-dying-patient/where-do-americans-die/ 60% of Americans die in hospitals. Therefore, we should ban all hospitals.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

The Democrats are about to get absolutely murdered in the mid terms, so not really.

This is what I don't get. They know they are about to be murdered, so why don't they cancel student loan debt, raise the minimum wage, and/or legalize weed? I imagine they would be more popular with voters if they passed policies that are popular and/or that they promised they would do.

Are they really just going to quietly let themselves lose and then blame progressives again?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I don't really get the weed part though, that one is fairly well-supported among voters and wouldn't actually hurt corporate profits if they went through with it.

Maybe the prison industrial complex doesn't like weed legalization.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Even this slur that was invented to insult them triggers them!

"Snowflake" isn't a slur, is it?

HAmbONE posted:

I want to be on that show, sounds like a challenge.

They probably deliberately picked unsuitable people. They wouldn't want anyone with significant camping, or survivalist experience. Just look at how the show is being marketed: as a way for boomers to laugh to themselves about how weak and pathetic millennials are. I remember hearing somewhere that the first few rounds of auditions for American Idol were not videotaped, but they would intentionally let some of the worst singers though the first rounds to the videotaped auditions, just so that viewers could look at them and laugh.

Nebrilos has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Jun 23, 2022

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

NorgLyle posted:

One of the phenomenal things about Mass Effect is how they tried to sell the Paragon/Renegade thing as 'Your Choices Will Matter' when, of course, they did not matter at all. I think it was HBomberguy's video that points out that choosing to allow the Council to die in the climax to Mass Effect 1 results in... a new council of the exact same alien makeup but wearing different clothes taking power in Mass Effect 3 but my absolute favorite Paragon/Renegade cheat was again from ME1 with the last Rachni Queen.

Everything that you're told as a player about the Rachni and that Shepard learns from talking to people through the game make it seem like the Rachni are literally the worst; the British Empire if they were also the xenomorphs from Aliens. So Shepard finds out that Evil (In This Game) Cerberus has somehow found, saved and spawned a Rachni hive and trapped the very very last Rachni Queen on a planet to use as a weapon against the non-human races. Shepard clears out the base and has the queen at her mercy and the queen says that all she wants is to live peacefully on a farm upstate somewhere with her babies. You can choose to let the Rachni go as the Paragon option or exterminate them as the Renegade.

When the game came out, basically everyone that I knew who was playing was shocked that my Shepard very easily chose to drown the queen in acid because she had no idea if the queen was lying and because having just fought through an entire hive of the things she knew firsthand how awful they could be as enemies. One of the things I heard repeatedly was 'well you're going to miss out on whatever cool scenes and events I'm going to get when the Rachni come back in the later games!'

So in Mass Effect 3 the Rachni do come back -- only it doesn't matter at all which choice the player made in Mass Effect 1; if you chose to destroy them then the evil space robots brought the Rachni back with dark science, cloning, secrets on the Reapers know. If you chose to spare the queen then they all just got corrupted by the evil space robots and either way you get to fight through another hive of Rachni.

Renegade was supposed to be "making the hard choices that are necessary", while paragon was supposed to be "being the naive nice guy space hero." The trouble was that the writers never wanted to put you in a situation where you are punished for being a naive nice guy space hero, because that feels bad. And since there's no penalty for always being the naive nice guy, the hard choices are never actually necessary, so why would you ever make them?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I prefer "A pencil that goes in a lot of sharpeners is ground down" in response.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I remember after Elliot Rogers murdered a bunch of people, There was a gross opinion floating around that "A woman should have 'taken one for the team' with Elliot Rogers to prevent him from murdering anyone."

1) The sentiment "have sex with this guy or else" is equivalent to rape

2) It would not have changed anything. After his girlfriend dumped him for being awful to her, he would have gone on the same murder spree. Incels are not looking for girlfriends. They are looking for slaves.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
What about blue cheese?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Jim Jeffries sold his rear end out to be "Hollywood" so hard it was amusingly pathetic, but in his come up he had a nice bit of stand-up about guns and how when he was robbed it didn't really matter what training or tools he could have had-- it was the middle of the night, he was jostled out of sleep, and he was buck-rear end nude.

That's when you get the weird dudes who start hiding slicks all over their house:

and it's all just a naked aping of that scene from the start of the 2000 movie Gladiator where someone tries to wake Russell Crowe up in a tent and he's got a knife in his hand ready to go. Every one of these loving dudes saw that and went "yeah, yeah that's what a real man does." I tried so hard to find that scene on YT but if you remember that movie you'll know. It's a weirdly memorable beat because Crowe has always done a good job at selling that kind-of bottled aggression.

And I'm sure that mentality can work in some situations. If I were living on the street or in prison I can see the value in conditioning yourself to be ready to at least surprise someone and radiate "not worth loving with me" energy, especially if you're not a big or tough-looking guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4BeKkv2uho

But in a domestic suburb it's not only pathetic it's a conditioning that well, yeah like other users said if you let yourself get too used to that eventually you're going to run into your kid getting a glass of water at 0330 and your reflexes will have you attack them before you even know what the gently caress is going on.

Does anyone have that twitter post where that "responsible gun owner" was arguing that any truly "responsible gun owner" should have a few accidental discharges per year, because if they aren't, they won't be able to react in time to a "threat".

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

He's being sarcastic, right? This isn't his actual opinion, right?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

“Would it not be better if they spent more money on wholesome things like oranges and wholemeal bread or if they even, like the writer of the letter to the New Statesman, saved on fuel and ate their carrots raw? Yes, it would, but the point is that no ordinary human being is ever going to do such a thing. The ordinary human being would sooner starve than live on brown bread and raw carrots. And the peculiar evil is this, that the less money you have, the less inclined you feel to spend it on wholesome food. A millionaire may enjoy breakfasting off orange juice and Ryvita biscuits; an unemployed man doesn't. Here the tendency of which I spoke at the end of the last chapter comes into play. When you are unemployed, which is to say when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don't want to eat dull wholesome food. You want something a little bit 'tasty'. There is always some cheaply pleasant thing to tempt you.”

I challenge this person to eat nothing but oatmeal for all of their meals until they've consumed 1 kg of oatmeal.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Zero_Grade posted:

https://twitter.com/MarinaHermannPA/status/1575203769859686415

Context: Florida just got hit by a huge-rear end hurricane that came ashore pretty much centered on Cape Coral. There's a very good chance this house is either in a million pieces or currently located several miles further west.

It'd suck to be underwater on your mortgage.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
What if I only read books by women?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
He was president for four years. He had four years to drop "the kraken", and he didn't. Why do they still believe in him?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
It stuck out to me that while Scrooge made his money by making other people suffer (the poor people who are freezing and half-starved because they can't afford his rents, overworked Bob Cratchet who still can't afford a doctor for his son, etc) Scrooge himself doesn't even seem to get any enjoyment out of his own money. Like, he lives in a cold, dark house, eats cold food, never talks to anyone or does anything.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

lol at mythology.

also given the whole "made in god's image" thing I like to imagine God was currently morphed in the "joined back-to-back with two faces, four arms, four legs" form.

If man was made in god's image, does god have a butthole? What does he use it for?

I'm kind of curious how a christian would answer this, but it's a bit too rude for me to ever ask one.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Jordan Peterson recently said something about him thinking anti-semitism might possibly become a "moral imperative." Is Jordan Peterson just a Nazi? Or is he just trying to create more space for Nazis in the public discourse?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Do you think there is a meaningful difference between these two things?

No, I don't.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

They'll never be able to argue why one of these characters is actually 'well-written' in a way that doesn't get circular as hell as they try to find an argument that isn't why they actually feel that way. While not quite the same, there's a female character in Final Fantasy XIV who's constantly hated for a myriad of things, from hiding her identity, to being overly aggressive, to taking credit for the player's work... but when you point out that male characters are guilty of every single one of the things she's accused of, the only reasponse is 'yeah but they're good characters'. Almost like the actual points being made were completely and utterly irrelevant and they just wanted to tear down the female character.

(She didn't even do most of the things they accuse her of, either; in fact she does the literal opposite in several cases.)

Who are you talking about, Yda? I don't like her because she doesn't have much personality. Her personality is basically "wouldn't it be nice if everything was nice and everyone was nice? Maybe" And because she doesn't wear pants. And because the reveal that she was actually pretending to be her sister falls completely flat because it's just a person we know practically nothing about pretending to be a different person we know practically nothing about. And even after she switches back to her "real" outfit, SHE STILL DOESN'T WEAR PANTS! Which male characters are you comparing her to? Estinian? Yeah, I guess he becomes kind of flat after Heavensward ends.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

All this time we were making fun of all the "you won't last 30 seconds playing this game" ads but it turns out they were working against the trans menace. I'm learning so much

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

David Hogg has staff?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Well why doesn't the boomer that made this meme put down their phone and go have fun outside with a cardboard box and a few friends?

Vib Rib posted:

Same way they'll talk about all the hardships they endured during WWII or talk about how kids today couldn't have stormed Normandy.
God I loving hate this.

Millennials and Gen-Z have been fighting in Afganistan and Iraq for about 20 years now?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/mezzozydeco/status/1632460604563767299?t=QUZ_gribU1sjT5r17BWx9Q&s=19
I've seen the top video before, and it's funny how many idiots are scrambling to find excuses on why a a woman doing the same task calmly and carefully is "not the same" as a manly man on an oil rig who looked like he climbed out of an uruk Hai birthing pool.

Would someone mind explaining what is going on in these two videos?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
There's no actual plan to arrest Trump, is there? He made the whole thing up to rile up his supporters, and then when no one actually tries to arrest him, he will claim that he and his supporters defeated the deep state and that's proof he's innocent, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Where is this person getting the idea that people are balking at paying $8/mo for twitter because they can't afford $8/mo? People are balking because we all recognize that twitter is poo poo and most people have to much self respect to pay for poo poo.