Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

This is an old meme from the now-closed Laissez Faire subforum right here on SA. I think it was a poster named paradol ex who coined it

Elephant Ambush has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Nov 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, DnD use to make fun of it all the time.

LF did too fwiw

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

Wait really?

Paradol Ex posted:

That's what he is. The loving rear end in a top hat is a date rapist. I don't loath this piece of poo poo because he is a center-of-right politician or because he panders or because he doesn't support my interests. Anyone with any sort of power in this worthless country would slice my throat and my interests to get ahead. They don't give a poo poo about truth or fairness or equality. So in this respect Obama is nothing special. So that's not why I loathe him.

I loathe this motherfucker because of what he does to people like me. More naive than me, but like me. Younger than me, but like me. More optimistic than me, but like me.

I hate Obama because of what he does to the equivalent of my retarded brother.

Even republicans realize that McCain is a soft-serve piece of poo poo funneled into a nutcase. No matter how worthless or sick or mindless republican voters are, they are going into this election with eyes wide open.

But not the liberal youth. They believe in this loving bitch. This self-serving date rapist spineless cowardly slippery and smooth slick Brooks Brothers suit of nothing. He's somehow convinced them to believe in him. To be optimistic. To "hope" for "change".

Here's the thing, though. He's full of poo poo. It's obvious to anyone with the right eye. But people like my retarded brothers and sisters, they don't see it.

So if you wonder why I hate Baquack Obama, it isn't because I fell for his bullshit. It's because I know people who are intellectually and emotionally close to my worldview who fell for it. And they are giving him millions of their dollars and thousands of hours of their time just so he can ignore them the moment he doesn't need them anymore and do exactly the opposite of what my brothers and sisters thought he would do.

Yes, it's my brothers and sisters' fault for leaving the party, drunkenly walking across the overgrown grass in the backyard and wandering into the outhouse on the edge of the Ozark woods with Baquack Obamailure. But it's his fault for raping them.

He is a son of bitch. Because at least Hillary and McCain had enough balls to scoff at the idea of hope or change, in this country, at this moment, by politicians with the same old, self-obsessed ideals that they all hold.

But Obama packaged "hope" and "change" as a big red roofie and shoved it down my 12 year-old sister's throat with his fingers until she gagged on his wedding ring, all because he knew once she swallowed it he would get what he wanted.

gently caress Barack Obama.

From his goldmined "greatest hits" thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3002017

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

KozmoNaut posted:

"The Fresh Prince of Bill Ayers" is still my favorite, I think it came from the Freep thread.

This is my favorite too and all the best ones came from the Freep thread :freep:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Crain posted:

None of that matters. None of it. At all.

Plenty of very smart people have written a lot of words intricately dissecting these kinds of people and movements. I could post that quote about how "fascists get to play with language", which I can't quite locate right now, or talk about the motivations behind joining End of Days cults. But it just doesn't matter.

These people are bored, existentially bored. They're bored assholes, racists, fascists, or just really loving weird and bored. Their lives are mostly comfortable economically and socially, even with the bigotry they throw around, but they simply want the world to be more interesting than it is. The reason none of the individual parts make sense when you try to examine and connect them is because these people aren't thinking in terms of logic, they're not even thinking in terms of conspiracy, they're thinking in terms of Screen Plays.

They have a plot and a narrative, and once whatever macguffin they've decided on reaches the third act they "win". That's why January 6th makes no sense as an actual "attack". Even the people who did have plans to handcuff or kidnap or kill congress people didn't have any idea of what to do once they actually reached their goal. That's because in their mind it played out like this: We storm the Capitol, we capture the bad guys, the triumphant music plays, and the credits roll telling the audience that we saved the day.

Because these people have spent their entire lives watching too many movies and being told by right wing propaganda to be ready to fight and kill "the bad people" to preserve "their country".

Is this the post you were looking for? Even if it's not it's really good.

OwlFancier posted:

The point about conspiracy thinking is that it isn't rational, so the fact that it doesn't make rational sense is entirely irrelevant, people who believe in that stuff have a strong emotional feeling about the world and are looking for, or outright fabricating, words and thoughts and ideas that when they run them through their head, it makes them feel better and reinforces their instinctive emotional beliefs.

I find it helpful to look at it sort of like a compulsive behaviour, actually almost how I would think about stimming, it's something you do because on a really basic level your brain knows it makes you feel better, you do it almost unconsciously, and you get good at doing it and sometimes can't stop doing it because it brings a sense of normality and order to your life.

It's really not a matter of explaining to people why what they think is wrong, because whether it is wrong doesn't matter, even if god himself came and parted the clouds and told them it was wrong it wouldn't change a thing, they need it to be right, and they need to keep making up more poo poo, the process of thinking about it and talking about it is integral to them being themselves. I don't know if it's easy to understand if you don't have compulsive behaviours but essentially the key thing to think about is that just because it might look, from a distance, like rational inquiry, and just because it might co-opt the language of rational inquiry, does not at all mean that what they are doing is the same thing. It is a completely different process that is dressed up in the language of rationality because they know that language is respected.

Same reason they co-opt things like "liberals are the real racists" and "all lives matter" and with the antivaxx stuff the "my body my choice" line, they know these things are ideas that people respect and they try to dress their ravings up in respectable language to enhance the performative reificiation of those beliefs, which is what they do when they talk to each other.

They can't escape the need for validation, so they will latch on to anything that has the air of validity to it, which is why what they say looks like it could be rational if you squint and tilt your head, but fundamentally it is not the same process, it is the searching of a desperate emotional need for things that make them feel right and correct in their instinctive beliefs about their world.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

Was it the quote that goes something like "And thus through a continuous shifting of narratives the enemy is simultaneously something to fear and completely hopeless and defeatable"?

:umberto:

Nope, that's from Umberto Eco on ur-fascism. That's also a good read though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zero_Grade posted:

I tracked down this list from the thread, although I know it's missing some (like Obi Wan Nairobi):

loving legend. Thank you for digging that up :tipshat:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Khizan posted:

My favorite Obama nickname was Fresh Prince of Bill Ayers.

Also, here it is:

I always forget about T-Von and Mook-Mook the Bushman

The turban-wearing Mexicans will always be my favorite

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
According to the women in my life high waist jeans are supposed to make your legs look longer. I guess I can kinda see it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I teach high school in a very red-voting suburb in Texas, just to give a little background. The school has a "Tabletop Games Club" that's really just an excuse to hang out after school and play board games, Uno, and organize D&D groups.

When the last faculty sponsor of the club moved out of state I was asked to fill in, so I've been sponsoring them for a couple years now and they moved the board game collection to my room. It consists mostly of trash games that were obviously donated at some point by someone just trying to clear out their closet, and it includes such gems as "High School Musical 3: the Board Game" and other assorted stuff you'd be more likely to see languishing in a box untouched for three yard sales in a row.

This year though, a significant percentage of the students in the club are LGBTQ, and many are nonbinary. They've seized upon one of those trash games: "Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus: The Board Game" and they think it's the funniest goddamn thing on the planet because it's so steeped in gender stereotypes. They call it the "Misogyny Game".

It's supposed to be played as men vs women and you guess how the other gender would answer a question. They spend half the time figuring out who's going to be on what team that day and the other half laughing at how stupid gender essentialism is.

It's kind of heartening, to be honest.

This completely rules

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
professors "may elect" to sleep with their students

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Will you gently caress the undergrad? [ ] Yes [ ] No

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Only a libertarian "academic" would say something like "I accepted with alacrity". jfc

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I just checked Steam and Spec Ops The Line is still $30 lmao

If it was like $5 I'd probably buy it and play it just to see how it is for myself but not for $30

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Wait, Lowtax died?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The PUA quizzes are so cringe. Just smile, say hi, and see how they respond. That's it.

Also it's so weird that there are all these imaginary proposed scenarios where they think it's ok to try to pick up women. You don't just do that anywhere anytime.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Royalist Weeb

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Internet Tough Guy makin a comeback

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Top tier self own

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
doulbedoink

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Idiots on Social Media: I'm guessing Ernie is a Trump

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

RFC2324 posted:

Even here we see bullshit directed at people with stigmatized mental health issues, and its p lovely

Um excuse me this is a "comedy website" and those are "just jokes" and you shouldn't be so "thin skinned"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

I haven’t been in a 7-11 in a long time.

Maybe they used to look less run down?

Like I’ve seen some of those types of stores in like Japan and they look great for what they are

Convenience stores in Japan are some of the best things ever

Lawson 4 lyfe

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Baron von Eevl posted:

Alright pyf scrooge, go

Bill Murray

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Good

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

AceClown posted:

hands down

This is the correct answer

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Read After Burning posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/pantheist1000/status/1466613881015451648

Dude just straight up pulled a "And yet you participate in society....curious" regarding abortions.

I once saw a bumper sticker that said "I notice that everyone in favor of abortion is alive"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

old bean factory posted:

It's the hax0r page!

This implies that the ostensible sex haver who wrote it can't read it either

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Stoatbringer posted:

Working on the Grievance Farm.

All my grievances are fully automated

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Vib Rib posted:

Such a distilled example of the facts having never mattered to begin with.

There's always "fake news" for them to fall back on

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
That $1000 he won didn't cover his medical bills or even the deductible lol

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

never put lasers in joe bidens eyes

always put lasers in joe bidens eyes

Also

Don't put marbles in your nose

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Lean In!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Neito posted:

TBF, for the GOP it is. Some of them might even be millenials (45 years old)!

I hate generational dividers but as someone who is very solidly in the middle of Gen X I find it really funny every time someone posts "well actually" about millenials and their maximum age gets higher

I'm in my mid 40s and tomorrow someone's going to try to own the boomers by saying millenials are actually like 50 or something. Just lol

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Yes. Correct. Millennials are not 45 years old. Thank you.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
That's just a variant on "let them eat cake"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

gently caress off Marie Antoinette bootlicker

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
You can call me a beep boop robot if you want but it drives me crazy that people try to add additional options to situation where there are exactly 2 options, especially in throwaway unrealistic thought ecperiments

There are only 2 options. You are powerless to add more options. Pick one and say why. Be honest

This isn't directed at anyone specifically it's just so weird to see people turn an unrealistic thought experiment into something real so that they can try to exert some kind of control over it. I get that the Trolley Problem is uncomfortable but too bad. You have no control. There are exactly 2 options. Pick one

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

goblin week posted:

I, personally, would save everyone, and bake them a cake, which makes me morally superior to that goon who'd just save everyone

What kind of cake?