Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Big Hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

rannum posted:

How many times now has Luffy just gone "JOIN MY CREW" and we just handwave a position later. I am pretty sure, at the very least ,he had no position planned for Robin or Jinbei. The former is just uhhhhh archeologist sure whatever and the latter he declared himself the helmsman like 3 years ago

It's easier to list the ones that were after the fact, actually.

Usopp came with the boat and took a while to actually have a defined role. Robin made up her own role. Jinbei made up his. But then you have Zoro, who was always basically first mate even if it wasn't explicit. Nami was always navigator. Sanji was always cook. Chopper was always doctor. Franky was always shipwright. Brook was always musician.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Not translating Akayaza in this age of translations is really strange. It was weird at first for me to see Shichibukai and Yonko translated all the time, but I saw the logic behind it and got used to it. But now that they are leaving this title alone and it's bugging me.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
For his standard attacks I remember Oni giri (Demon Slash/Rice ball) and that there were various iterations on the canon attack as it got more powerful, but that's about it.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
To be fair Kuina's death is exactly the kind of thing a cape comic wouldn't be able to leave alone either.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
They weren't even staning for Berserk. It was a side project by the same author.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
On the other hand, going after Apoo puts him more in the Strawhat camp than most of their other allies.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Strelok604 posted:

What happens if a fishman eats a devil fruit?

See also: Jack

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Hot drat stuff like that spread are why orange and blue are my favorite complimentary colors.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I've always just assumed he kept good notes. Pretty funny that he uses the wikis, too.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Kild posted:

Your notes are never gonna be as good as crowdsourced notes.

Generally true, especially for something like attacks. For stuff like worldbuilding and continuity in a big, ongoing work I'm not so sure. Brandon Sanderson has talked about having a personal wiki for example, though even for that they're not actually his notes.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Wanna know what Yamato's deal it. Hoping he joins the crew seems extremely premature, even if it weren't already very full.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Waffleman_ posted:

Chapter is up, can't link on my phone.

Julias posted:

New chapter is officially out
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-983/chapter/20760?action=read

It's time for Yamato, and it looks like we might actually be getting a Carrot vs. Perospero rematch this arc

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Cavendish never "sleeps" either, he switches personalities. The wiki even classifies his alter ego as fragmented twin.

Which wiki is "the wiki"?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Jose posted:

i would like to keep posting with you all about this and other manga if what lowtax did destroys SA

Same.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 24, 2020

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Yeah until we get the official translation I'm holding off on thinking too hard about how I don't like that intro card.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 4, 2020

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Things I do like about this chapter: Lola and her sister getting to see their dad, Luffy and Yamato getting away because they made so much of a mess, confirmation that the infiltration was actually successful, the double page spread of Law teleporting everyone onto the island (especially that fantastic perspective shot), Kiku and Izo reuniting, Nekumushi's loving GUN hand, and Yamato being a hardcore Oden fanboy while still using Dad's oni technique.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
He's also got Izo nonchalantly hanging out with what I think I'm correctly interpreting as feminine hairdo and lipstick, which is cool. That's how it read to me at first at least. Typing this out has made me less sure.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I forgot Pound was even supposed to be dead lol

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Yep, this is great

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

XkyRauh posted:

As someone who got introduced to the Anime by an old roommate, binge watched up to current (at the time) and then watched the weekly releases for a few years, making the transition to the Manga has been wild! I'm considering going all the way back to the beginning to re-experience it. :)

Oh man how far did you get before you made the switch?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I don't think any argument about One Piece should start with "according to the anime."

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Toei insisting on always airing new One Piece is the real thing at fault here. The price to pay for no filer should be seasonal releases, even for the long-running poo poo. Thankfully most of the rest of the anime industry has finally figured this out.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Tolth posted:

I'd prefer to just communicate in good faith and assume others are doing the same, frankly.

Communicating in good faith means being genuine in expressing your thoughts, not something like giving people the benefit of the doubt.

fwiw I think the intent of your first post was obvious from the context. If there's anything in it I object to it's probably that it undersells attitudes against misogyny and sexism in places that aren't "the west."

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Law never really expected to get as far as he has, and in the absence of any other direction I imagine he's going to join the Strawhat Armada.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
If you stretch the meaning of contrived far enough it covers all of fiction.

e: not a statement directed at anyone in particular. Just a general feeling I get sometimes when I see the word used

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Worth keeping in mind that early Bleach was extremely good shonen, and it wasn't until Hueco Mundo (which started 244 chapters in) that its flaws started to take over.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Cheating a little to list moments that I like and also haven't been mentioned. No particular order:

-Cricket and co. seeing Luffy's shadow in the clouds
-Merry sailing to the Enies Lobby on their own to save the crew and and go on more adventures
-Brooke breaking the picture frame

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
on break this week

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

tbp posted:

it doesn't even make sense bc the scabbards are all explicitly supposed to be strong as hell with some around the level of the emperor commanders and they're fighting 9v1 and loving furious and we all know there's going to be a moment where kaido goes "i acknowledge you" or some poo poo and beasts out on them still to come but for now i feel the same catharsis they do with every hit

Yeah after the "I acknowledge you" moment he's going to shift to his in between form, which we notably have not yet seen and is the strongest form a typical Zoan user can take. Or it was until awakening, at least. Could be that instead.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The 4Kids dub got me into the anime because I knew it was heavily edited, and I wanted to see what the real thing was like. So one boring summer I decided to watch the K-F releases and then speedsubs until I ran out of content right at the loving end of Enies Lobby. So I switched immediately to the manga. It was actually the first manga I ever read. For years, something about not having color kept me away from manga in general (I was dumb), but I wasn't about to let that stop me from seeing what happened next.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Blockhouse posted:

the fact that oda gets breaks whenever he wants while every other manga creator has to loving kill themselves meeting deadlines will never not be the most disgusting thing to me

Oda worked loving crazy hours, too, even during Marinford, the most popular arc. He didn't start taking regular-ish breaks until 2012 (Punk Hazard) when he took off 8 issues. Since his hospitalization in 2013 he's taken off 9 issues a year.

It isn't just the editors being awful (they are), part of Japanese culture is to devote yourself to your work, and for most of his career Oda has gone even further past that norm.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
So much nicer to see proper line work after the aliased nightmare that was the "cleaned" raw.

What Yamato is doing is much clearer to me in the final release but I still want to make sure I have it right: Kaido's goons shoot explosive rounds at Yamato, which he facetanks like a boss. Then he swings his mace to clear the smoke and launch a ranged attack that knocks out one of them?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Per Oda, "Mother" is the antonym of "Adventure."

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I dunno, I think Franky might be stronger than Sanji at this point.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Eustace posted:

Settle down you nerds, the arc isnt even over yet

Yeah we just skipped the boring parts of the fight before the tables turn:

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah this is basically the exact setup that was used multiple times in Enies Lobby where at various points we cut to Nami, Usopp and even Sanji seemingly defeated at the feet of their respective opponents only for something to intervene and give them an opportunity to swap opponents or regain the upper hand.

It's a technique Oda uses a lot, instead of spending time showing the heroes lose ground and end up on their back foot, just cut right to them already on their back foot and show the more interesting part of them rallying.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Len posted:

It’s been awhile since i checked in, but Luffy just beat Rob and this entire arc has been amazing

Edit: merry go to the rescue!

Edit 2: just finished 430 and i am Not Okay

One of the best chapters in One Piece. I cried for that boat :sympathy:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Yessss Zoro is done with this poo poo.

DizzyBum posted:

Also this all but confirms that Kaido is a dragon that ate a devil fruit. God drat.

Not until we see how the official release phrases it, at least.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Viz link

I think this chapter does tip the scales more toward Kaido being a dragon who transforms into a human/oni, but I wouldn't say it's all but confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Moments like these were Zoro gets to be a complete and total badass are why he's my favorite Strawhat after Luffy. There are other characters with great emotional payoffs too, but I can't help the fact that People Being Badass is my favorite thing about shonen.