Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DLC Inc posted:

Riki's gimmick of his entire race believing him to be the real protagonist was amazing the first time I played the game but it's even better when you realize this tiny Nopon is actually extremely loving powerful and lives up to the ridiculous beliefs.

It's weird that Xenoblade 2 had a lot of great Nopon characters/quests/dialogues and yet the main Nopon you get to play as positively sucks rear end, and the one Nopon you see at all consistently in XCX sucks hardest. I think the best Nopon NPCs ever are still in XC2 though--the one who says "my wife left me but things are otherwise good" in the first area, and another one who is some kind of mercenary but complains how they have stubby legs so their career kind of sucks lol

The secret best Nopon in XC2 is the one you meet late in the game who wants to be a Driver. Her friends are frantically looking for her after she falls off The World Tree so you head down to rescue her. When you find her, she's bonded to a doggo Blade and has been summarily kicking the rear end of every monster she comes across, but still needs your help getting back

She's great and I wish she joined the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Can anybody give me tips for Melia's Restricted Time Attack? ("Oh, brother"). I've tried it several times and I either don't do it fast enough (apparently?), getting a B rank in time, or the party gets overwhelmed and killed.

It's ironic because Melia, Dunban, Riki is my favorite party composition but we're just not making it happen.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

lezard_valeth posted:

https://twitter.com/sebas21911/status/1271357445307117569

:kimchi: Riki just offered to adopt Shulk. He IS the bestest

This is only tangentially related to what you posted (which is adorbale, btw), but what's the best way to ensure I have all the fashion armor available? I've really enjoyed dressing up my crew in different outfits as I go to each new area, but there's a lot of possible armor "groups" that I don't have yet.

Should I just go to all the shops and buy at least one piece of every armor?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Barudak posted:

Theres an ongoing save at all times so you can buy one of every piece, then reload your save before buying and all fashion will be unlocked but youll have your money. There are also special sets available from the nopon archsage and the shop in colony 9.

Yup, I know about the Archsage stuff. I'll check out Colony 9 too. Thanks! Time to fashion.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

cool! I managed to eke my way through that fight with Shulk/Reyn/Riki, so I guess I'm doing okay for now.

I will say Dunban continues to perplex me. He just seems to like... not be able to dodge certain attacks, and then those attacks take 1/3 of his HP. I'm not sure if I should be using Sharla to heal him, or controlling someone with a heal ether just to keep him constantly topped up. I've got him in naked mode with both skills related to that unlocked, and his agility is 195 (higher than I can get him with armor + all the agility gems I got). I feel like I'm missing some tools that should be helping me stop attacks, but these aren't even like "see the future" attacks that I at least have advance warning of, just normal big boss attacks.

Is he getting hit with Ether based attacks? Ether attacks don't give a poo poo about your agility.

I have never personally liked the naked Dunban thing. Sure, his agility is sky high with that, but you're still sacrificing an awful lot of utility by losing out on all those gem slots (like having any ether defense at all). A couple things I could maybe recommend without knowing what in particular is ganking him:

Raise his HP. This gives you more of a buffer for whoever has a healing skill to keep him topped off
One of Dunban's Skill Trees gives him the ability to heal himself when he crits. Grab that, and give him gems that raise his crit rate, and link skills that do the same
Try giving him medium armor with his weight reduction skill (and link other skills that do the same), so he gets better defenses without sacrificing any agility.
You can also try to debuff the enemy hurting him with Riki's Behave, or similar.

You shouldn't have to resort to using Sharla.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

A lot of the Restricted Time Attacks seem to come down to luck, I tore through that one with an S rank on my first try compared to the embarrassing number of attempts Dunban and Riki's took. When Wave 2 starts, I think I summoned two Thunders and a Flare, then tossed out Shadow Stitch and Discharge Flare when the enemies started to clump up together.

lezard_valeth posted:

Yeah this. I used Shadow Stitch to bind wave 2 in place while I murdered them with Mind Blast, Flare and Wind Burst. Took 2 attempts cause first time I got brutally murdered.

Reporting back to say, yep, ya'll were right. I went back and tried that trial again and I cleared it. I didn't even get to do Shadow Stitch on the second wave cuz it was on cooldown! I spent a good amount of time running around while the lizards chased me waiting for my cooldowns to be up, praying that Riki or Dun-dun would pull aggro off me. Barely got one Chain Attack off, at the very end. I thought that attempt went horribly, but nope! A rank. :shrug: I really don't know. Welp, I got Melia's pretty beach clothes so I'm happy!

Now to dress everyone in their bathing suits before I tackle Valak Mountain. :getin:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Omobono posted:

You know, I've been a vocal component of the "Sharla Sucks"* faction in this thread, but I've played Seven/Sharla/Reyn a lot in my current playthrough and I think she could be fixed with minimal changes.

Change 1: give her another red art. Anything honestly. Make it do extra damage to flying mechon or something.
Change 2: consolidate a lot of her blue arts together. For example, merge the aura extension and the tension booster.
Change 3: her talent art allows her to use any equipped art for no cooldown and either a boost or an extra effect. It counts as white during chain attacks.

Change 4: give her some goddamn pants. I mean, heavy armor is workable but the assless chaps on the medium armor sets are just stupid. Thank the gods for fashion slots.

There. She'd probably still be on the weak side but it's fix all her problems with the way the battle system works.

*actually "Sharla is subpar" but tomahto tomayto

Sharla works pretty well in Ether focused parties so... working with any two of Melia, Riki, or Seven (with Ether equipment). Still not great, but not horrible either, and Either based parties are not quite as dependent on Chain Attacks. She's workable, but those changes would definitely make her work a lot better and make her mesh better with the OTHER half of the cast.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Re: levelling for the end-game, is that when you open up the back areas of Tephra Cave? There are a few places like that with high level enemies that are meant to help you boost your levels.

In other news, I've gotten absurdly lucky with UMs that spawn during certain weather conditions. Right as I was heading over Raquel Bridge for this first time, it started thunderstorming. Up in Eryth Sea, right as I exited the capitol, BAM, falling stars. And just now while I was tooling around Makna Forest, I tripped over Shimmering Forte.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Takoluka posted:

Patroka is what happens when Rinoa from FF8 accidentally gets time-compressed into a different franchise and turns stupid.

Stupider. Rinoa was already pretty drat stupid. She just doesn't stand out much in that game cuz the entire cast is also stupid. :v:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

also is it too off topic for me to ask what audiobooks and podcasts people are listening to while playing this game? salute to anyone who has just listened to 100 hours of battle screams instead

I don't tend to listen to other stuff specifically when I play games. This one in particular, I like how it sounds and I like the party banter. :shrug: However, I like synthwave music, and synthwave goes with everything, so try some synthwave. Scandroid has some cool stuff that has to do with robots and such, which might be apropos.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Barudak posted:

Casual mode removed the level difference penalties so you can easily trounce enemies significantly higher than you. Or you know if you dont want to fight superbosses at night

OK this poo poo is game-changing and might make me actually attempt the superbosses. Having to gem up Night Vision and specifically challenge them at night to have even a chance of hitting them was so dumb.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

multijoe posted:

I'm putting 'you can now buy the super rare Colony 6 rebuilding items with Noponstone now, but the prices are exorbitantly high and you need to grind out time trials to afford a single one' on my big list of problems Xenoblade games solve, then find a way to cause again

That, and you can't even buy them until the rear end-end of the game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zarfol posted:

How am I supposed to play with the ether party? If I play as Melia, and use Sharla and Riki, after I cast all of my elementals, the mobs come right to me and kill me as Melia.

So right now I switched it to Melia, Riki, and Dunban. I would use Reyn but for some reason his moron AI is selective on using auras, so his purple aura burst skill isn’t useable half the time in chain attacks, and Dunban’s Tempest kick is always up.

Is there a way to make the seventh character a tank? Struggling with the skills on this character.

OK yeah. Melia will draw aggro like crazy unless you mitigate it. You have to play a liiiiiittle more conservatively. Kit Riki with Aggro Up gems, firstly. Then, if you're having aggro problems, use Melia's damage over time attacks instead of Summon Bolt. (Assuming that is what you're doing.) Summon Earth, Flare, and Ice don't do as much damage up front, so they generate less aggro. Kit Melia with Poison Up/Blaze Up/Chill Up gems to kick the ongoing damage even higher.

As to your other questions, I have read that Seven can indeed function as a tank but I don't personally know how it's done. I think they can function as a dodge tank like Dunban can too with their Agility boosting equipment. I know mine dodges attacks like crazy with those.

Also, just in general, Ether parties don't rely nearly as much on Chain Attacks as physical parties do, so don't worry so much about it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Doing some sidequest cleanup after I got all the party members, and a couple observations:

Whoever decided to put the Spike aura that activates on Topple on loving Mechon deserves to have something bad happen to them. Whoever it is, I hope they stub their toe, and I hope her hurts. A lot.

I put Melia in my party, under AI control, because I needed to build affinity with her and I wanted to see just how bad she was. Answer uh... if you tell your party members to Focus Attacks she's uh... actually not bad? She actually fired off her dang summons! Like, before I fired off a Chain Attack, I had to make sure she had any banked, cuz I went into a couple Chain Attacks and Melia didn't have any Summons to discharge! Things were melting all around me in a sea of fiery and icy death. :stare: Who are you and what have you done with AI Melia?!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Zarfol posted:

Good way to get affinity up really quick if you still need to is to turn on expert mode. I like to go to a mechon area. Anyway, level down your 2 party members to 10 levels below a mob and remove all of their skills from their bar. Keep your main dude to be at max levels above the mechon. The 2 party members will keep missing while you spam the burst affinities and encouragements, and you don’t do any damage. Takes maybe 20ish minutes per pair I want to say?

Haven't had to resort to that yet. I've got Seven at purple cloud affinity with everyone but Melia just from running around doing quests and I haven't even gone to Mechonis Field yet. :shrug:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

How can I time chain attacks using AI Dunban? Is there any way I can tell when Dunban’s talent gage is full?

The AI characters do have a callout for when their Talent gauge is full. Riki says "Riki show Heropon special move" or something like. I don't know what Dunban's is, but he'll definitely say something.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I swear Rainbow Slugs don't exist. I found one up on the Distant Figertip and then nothing. I found Ice Cabbages with no problem, though I haven't even gotten to the area with Black Liver Beans yet..

Really REALLY wish you could track Colony 6 materials the same way you can quest stuff!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I can only manage to beat those stupid fortress Mechon by controlling Shulk and making sure I have Monado Armor up at all times.

Is it cheap? Yes, but so are those fortress jerks!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I ran Nia, Morag, Zeke and managed to beat a bunch of the super tyrants until I got bored. Ya'll are overestimating how necessary it is to have Tora or Rex in your party.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Aerox posted:

I’ve spent more time researching party information than actually playing XC2 and I’m getting tired of it. I was planning on using Rex/Tora/Zeke as my main party through the story but I kept reading Tora’s tough to use until endgame and his voice lines are driving me insane.

Which is a better party for story completion, not worrying about post-game superbosses until later? Rex/Morag/Zeke, Rex/Morag/Nia, or should I just stick with my original Rex/Tora/Zeke plan?

The best party is any party with Nia in it. You don't even need Rex if you don't want him in your party either. I benched him after he got the ability to equip any Blade because all of his Special Hero Powers were getting boring. Zero regrets.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Louisgod posted:

My best friend, who has given me crap over Xenoblade for years and years (in fun, of course) as I've pushed him to play it numerous times, finished the copy I bought him for his birthday the other night and he loved it. Loved it so much he 100% completed everything in the game without turning on casual mode, and texted me yesterday to say he's addicted to the game again thanks to Future Connected.

It's a drat good game and you'll get the hang of it.

Your hype machine was what got me to play the game in the first place when it was finally announced for North American release, so thanks for that! I love it. :D

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Omobono posted:

You get about 10 overdrive protocols with the dlc. You can also move an axe to Rex for launch and call it a day until your spoiler.
Zenobia is fairly common and one of the strongest blades in the game, her only disadvantage on Rex is doubling up on wind element.

Tell that to my game where she was the last goddamn Blade I got, right before the final boss. :argh: Yes, you heard that right, I got KOS-MOS before Zenobia! Way before!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I've been fiddling around in the endgame, getting good gems, trying to get people kitted up and stuff. I'm hitting early 90s and managed to cheese my way through a couple of upper 90s UMs, which felt good.

One thing I have never been able to figure out myself is who wants what kind of armor. There's Light, Medium, and Heavy. Anything above Light seems to penalize your agility so dodge tanks like Dunban probably don't want it, but there's skills that reduce armor weight which may mostly negate that? Then heavy and medium armor have a lot of defense but generally piss-poor Ether defense. Do you generally care about that?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I forgot to mention that Expert Mode is the greatest, this is the first time the game has actually been challenging since I am not consistently seven levels higher than the average enemies.

This might be a dumb question, but is Thunder Bullet an electric attack?

Meaning is it boosted by Electric Plus Gems? Definitely yes.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just found out that aubergine is what the Brits call eggplants and I’m laughing at the idea that Reyn goes nuts for a delicious energy eggplant.

Ask why are eggplants growing inside the Mechonis :thunk:

Edit: it’s technically a fruit but the game classifies it as a vegetable!!!

They're fruit in the same sense that tomatoes are. Sure, they're biologically fruit, but that doesn't mean you put them in a fruit salad.

Vegetables are not a scientific grouping. It's a culinary distinction.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Just finished Future Connected. It's good and I liked it.

I should get around to finishing the main game some time I guess...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

Is she really hot for ol' Rex though?

She struck me as kind of just devoid of personality, unlike his actual twin spirit girlfriends/welsh thirdfourth wheel.

Nia deserved better.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

chumbler posted:

Who's to say she wasn't also included in the end?

Oh no she deserved better than that too. She deserved better than Rex. :colbert:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There are enough 5* Unique blades you can get through the story and side quests, the DLC if you get it, plus the five pity blades you will get based on random numbers, that you can have a good variety. Unfortunately, if you want specific random rare blades you’re probably gonna be using a lot of legendary cores, especially for blades like KOS-MOS who have a <1% chance of appearing.

I guess you have to randomly pull the NG+ blades too, right? That is one of the reasons I’ve been hesitant about doing NG+ but with the Pyra/Mythra in Smash announcement I’m really feeling it

New game plus is fun! Yeah, you do need to pull the NG+ Blades but I didn't find it to be too bad. I luckshat Obrona onto Nia very early on and drat is she a fun Blade!

CaptainPsyko posted:

I think this is a bit overstated; it's technically true, I guess, but it requires an engagement level with the game and amount of expertise and effort to find and farm a 'good' non-unique blade that just isn't commensurate with the degree to which they may or may not be better.

I never bothered with any of the generic Blades and I still managed to beat all the Superbosses. :shrug:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Playing this game just re-reminds me how spoiled I got on games like Bravely Default that gives you your full party from the word go and there's no bullshit with trying to premptively guess if someone's going to leave/come back/be temporarily disabled/heel turn/be revealed to be a blade lol. Certainly not as bad as some other games I could mention, but I feel like I would have prioritized/equipped things differently if I had known how the back half of the game was going to look like party member wise-- it feels like you should be using Nia as a blade canonically, especially given that they give you a bespoke Pyra/Nia combo, but I was running Nia haler/Morag tank/Rex dps up until that point and "fixing" that means probably swapping Morag to healer with all the WP grinding that entails and either grinding WP for Zeke as a tank or dealing with extensive Poppi farming

Screw optimal. I benched Rex's rear end about halfway through the game and rolled with my favorite party of Nia, Morag, and Zeke and I did fine. I even beat all the superbosses. Use whatever party you want and hang what the game subtly, or not so subtly, tells you to do!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Augus posted:

oh no I'll need to finish 2 to understand the story fuuuuuuuck

gently caress I never finished Torna...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

xedo posted:

There was a xc2 postmortem interview on usgamer back in the day where the director explained the logic of the weird gacha. It was an attempt to get people to use the switch's share button to record and tweet out the summoning sequence when they got a rare blade (or at least that was his publicly stated reason).

Hopefully Xenoblade is big enough now they don't need to create that kind of gimmick again.

If that is indeed the logic then, lol, did they ever gently caress up because the record function is disabled. You can take screencaps, but not record a clip. :v:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Bro I hadn’t even maxed out her affinity by the time I finished her side quest.

But I did max her skill tree like a psychopath

Hi hello fellow psychopath! I maxed out Affinity for every unique Blade EXCEPT Te-elos. The only one of her nodes I'm missing is the "jump a million times" node, because I am not going to sit there and mash B over and over and over. That's stupid. Even I have my limits.

kirbysuperstar posted:

The recording function didn't exist at the time the game came out iirc, not so much that they disabled it.

Course they could have patched it in but I guess they were too busy putting qol stuff behind a paywall

Didn't it? :confused: I thought I remembered using the record function for other games at the time, but it not working for XBC2.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Healing via soul voice mechanic was exceptionally bad. Granted, XCX's combat is so broken that once you figure out the mechanics of it you don't need healing because Elma or Cross just erase their target in 5 seconds but until then it can be annoying to not be able to just have someone heal when you need them to.

I got through the entire game never once touching the Soul Voice menu.

It was bad, yes.

The combat was fun with how busted you could make the main dude, though! Mine sounded like Fiora.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Polderjoch posted:

This is definitely why the other two games start you out with Sharla and Nia; both those games start you with a healer as a buffer until you figure out how to make self sustaining party compositions while XCX does the complete opposite and instead has all the healer characters unlock a bit later and has you start off with an attacker and tank, and asks you to just figure out the combat.

XCX's foot combat is absolutely my favourite in the series though, the melee/range separation of arts was great and secondary/tertiary cooldowns were a great concept to add on, and just being able to pick passive skills without the weird hoops of the other two games was incredibly nice. XCX combat with a dedicated healer either in the initial party of 4 or unlocking earlier, and with a simplified augment system is definitely ideal for me though.

It also generally feels the smoothest and best handling exploration, what with the jump height, sprint speed, tracker ball, lack of fall damage, complete lack of screen transitions or loading aside from two small indoor areas, and probes basically being secret area hunting with more tangible rewards, which generally makes it the game that plays to Xenoblade's strengths the most for me.

I have such mixed feelings about X. I loved exploring the world and the foot combat. I absolutely loved the side quests. They're the best part of the game.

I hated pretty much everything else. The music sucks, barring a few exceptions, the party system sucks steaming balls, the story is hot garbage, and Skell combat and movement is awful and terrible for how much the game makes you work for them. Skells just completely ruin the exploration, and don't even get me started on the awful flying music with the minute-long intro that starts over every time you so much as tap the jump button.

Christ that game is such a hot mess.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

WarpDogs posted:

One of my favorite traits of Xenoblade is how utterly earnest it can be

Yeah, all weapons are blades, even shields, and yes, even famous legendary shields like the Aegis, because it's called Xenoblade, not Xenoshield!!

There's a bluntness to the writing that pairs so beautifully with the layers of religious themes and philosophy. My favorite is Logos / Malos whose actual name is a direct reference to the Holy Trinity and Jesus Christ in particular, while their alias name is just straight up latin for "bad". I love it so god drat much!!

Xenoblade rules so hard

I sometimes have difficulty expressing why I love the Xenoblade games so much and this might come very close.

What I'm saying is I love it too and I'm excited for the new game. :)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Blaziken386 posted:

You don't really need love sources unless you're the kind of insane person who goes for 100% completion (don't do this), but once you can make them they're generally faster than any other method, even when you can only make one at a time

Hahahahaha I got 100% affinity with every single Blade except one. T-elos? One of her nodes requires you to jump some nutty number of times, sitting there mashing B like an idiot to get one node was where I drew the line.

I don't suggest anybody else do this unless you're crazy or you really really love the game. Thankfully, both things applied to me!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Tatsu was like, 10000000x worse than Tora which made Tora more tolerable.

I maintain that Tatsu would have been 1000000x less terrible if it weren't for Lin and her terrible "joke" about cooking him every. loving. CHAPTER.

I hate Lin.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Blaziken386 posted:

the fact that they're a race of mascot-people who purposefully talk like cutesy mascots to try and hide the fact that 9/10ths of them are bastards is very funny to me

also im slightly biased but i like tora more than riki, if only because tora tends to talk about whats going on around him, rather than going "oooh, hom homs, riki is sooo hungrryyy" all the time

Ah so they're the kobolds of the Xenoblade world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

That'd still leave him as the worst Nopon. Lin was loving garbage though (as are 99.999% of 'young super genius prodigy characters, especially when they're also gross lolicon fodder) and deleting both from existence would make XCX significantly better. Just have Cross and Elma pair up and murder their way across Mira whiling bringing some (occasionally mandatory) friends along for the ride.

Right?! Yeah I hated Lin. I hated her voice, I hated her "teenage prodigy" schtick, and I especially hated being forced to bring her along to every story quest. Elma was fine. No issues with her.