Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Typically the AC compressor is electric and just runs off the high voltage DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

jackpot posted:

I'm sure I'm leaving a bunch of alternatives out, what am I missing?

Also the Kia Niro. At the upper end of your budget but its 239 mi range hits your round trip distance better than its Hyundai cousin.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Probably for similar reason Ford in theory produces the Escape PHEV in the US but doesn't actually want to build any nor did the Maverick launch with PHEV. They may be hedging their vehicle tax credit quota for the Mach-E and Lightning.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Kunabomber posted:

The Maverick 2.0T versions are getting priority production too, people who ordered the hybrid version are getting crazy mad because 2.0T orders made in September are going into production while July hybrid orders aren't even being scheduled.

It's mostly because Ford anticipated a greater take rate on the Ecoboost than the hybrid. There's also some design changes on the Maverick hybrid transmission versus the Escape. On top of that all the supply issues of a semiconductor shortage and the chemicals for spray-in bedliners. I will say Ford's scheduling system is a bit weird with dealer allocation and regional allocation also coming in to mean someone who ordered the exact same build a month later might schedule before you. The EPA is also dragging their feet certifying the mileage for hybrids so even though they were built two weeks ago they can't be sold while customer Ecoboost orders are being delivered in addition to the dealer stock produced Aug 16th to Sept 10th before customer builds started.

It turns out that the Escape PHEV is in fact real, however. Just saw they started hitting dealers and one near me has/is getting one which is making me ponder my own unscheduled Maverick hybrid order I likely won't see before the end of the year at the earliest.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has anyone here have any experience with leasing an EV in terms of the tax credit?

The bank that owns the vehicle is the one that claims the credit. Often they pass it on in full/part as a capitalized cost reduction, but not all do or for all vehicles. For instance Ford Lending does for the Escape PHEV but not the Mach-E.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Zero One posted:

Apparently due to demand not everyone with a reservation will be "invited" to place an order for 22.

Which seems fine. At least an improvement over the Bronco system where everyone ordered and had to reorder for the next year when their vehicle wasn't built.

With what a fiasco the Bronco ordering became Ford is definitely hedging cautious now. It does lead to some oddness like the Maverick Hybrid ordering closing back second week of November before any of them even could ship from the factory (although that was due to its own emissions cert clusterfuck).

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Charles posted:

Speaking of memory seats why do cars still only have a limit of 2? Out of RAM? 🤪

My 2014 Fusion has 3 but I think newer ones went down to 2. Which makes sense since most cars come with 2 keys and you can link the presets to specific keys.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

edit: also when it comes to financing, I've heard credit unions offer the best rates? I assume no dealer is negotiating on price? I did hear from one that they won't go over MSRP and they'll sign off on that with the pre-order.

Northwest Federal Credit Union is another I've seen recommended. They don't go as low as DCU, but 1.79% for 72 beats DCU if you want those extra 7 months.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
DCU (Digital Federal Credit Union) is a pretty popular one with 1.24% for fuel efficient vehicles like EVs and most hybrids.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Charles posted:

The 12V problem has happened to all the manufacturers AFAIK. I guess keeping it charged is more difficult than it seems.

Isn't there one car that has a manual contactor switch that lets you turn on the car with a dead 12V?

Some of the Hyundai/Kia hybrids have a 12V jump button. Although the 12V battery doesn't really 'die' since it's an integrated lithium pack and the BMS just disconnects it at a low voltage threshold. Then the battery reset button forces it to reconnect so it can power the HV contactor to start and recharge through its regular LV charge circuit.

The 1st gen Ford Escape Hybrids had the reverse setup. There was a button to manually charge the HV batt off the 12V enough to start. But that was removed later in lieu of battery management that enforced a higher minimum SoC.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Depends somewhat on if its a brand that actually allows custom orders. For the allocation brands where you're just buying something that's in transit a lot of people are just slapping down orders at multiple dealers and seeing what comes first.

Where you can actually custom order that's a bit less common, but people still might get antsy after months of waiting and jump on something that comes into stock sooner. Otherwise the dealership pushing customers out of their order can hurt them long-term; brands like Ford track customer order conversion ratio for future allocation/incentives.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Vroom sent a couple of followup e-mails and Driveway called a few times before texting to ask if I was still interested in selling. Looks like Carvana stopped sending any e-mails about estimates I've done since September.

They all paled in comparison to Carmax who is going out of their mind lately with their offers for my '14 Fusion Hybrid which is only amplifying the anticipation of my imminent Maverick delivery.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Speleothing posted:

I heard on NPR that a lot of Ford cars are being stuck with SYNC 3 instead of 4 because of the chip shortages. So it's probably a hardware limitation.

Some even older than that. For instance on the Maverick only the Lariat w/ Luxury Package gets true Sync 3. Every other trim gets what's essentially an improved Sync 2 radio (from Euro Fiestas) running Sync 3-ish software. Some enterprising modders have already figured out how to mostly get a Sync 4 radio working.

darnon fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 22, 2022

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Several of the reviews/announcements of the Maverick I read claimed there would be an EV. I’d like one myself.

One of the designers of the Maverick pointed out the C2 platform isn't designed for BEV use. That said the Escape is slated to get overhauled in 2025 so maybe the chassis will get some re-engineered for that purpose then.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The next step is to develop pedestrian pre-collision protection where an arm deploys and throws them over and clear of the vehicle.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

What have they got that a loaded F-150 or Hummer don't have?

Independant drive motors, adjustable suspension, that coveted EV speedy acceleration over the Lightning. The Hummer does those but costs 2x as much and is loving humongous.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

cruft posted:

The brake pedal is the only button you can press that affects cruise control the same way in every car. So when I'm in a rental, I absolutely tap the brake to disengage, rather than faff around at 75MPH trying to find where Toyota decided to put "Cancel".

Also some cars (maybe mostly just older ones) cancelling resets the set speed and resume only works if you disabled the cruise via braking.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

What's wrong with Dodge Intrepids you bastard

Longitudinal engine, FWD. The drivetrain of a madman.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

atomicpile posted:

My two main complaints were that it was surprisingly loud with all its cooling fans ramped up (it’s hot here) and that there is a backup beep that I couldn’t figure out how to turn off.

The backup beep is part of the pedestrian warning system that is federally required for newer hybrids and EVs so there isn't a way to just turn it off. Also since it uses the same speaker it ironically ends up louder in front than behind. My Maverick hybrid does it as well; kind of a 'bonk bonk' noise but isn't as loud as a full 87db+ OSHA-grade alarm. If the Lightning has a discrete control module like the F150 hybrid you can FORScan some values to unplug it (otherwise you get CEL), but installing a resistor of similar value as the speaker can supposedly fake it out as well.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

We commit to telling we're going to be late again in 45 days :lol:

I assume it's because other model communities are getting just as pissy about not hearing anything about their order status as I've seen with Maverick orderers. They want Ford to pat them on their head and soothe them constantly that they are, in fact, not scheduled since they haven't received a build date e-mail yet.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Some of that is just how their web inventory works. Most dealers use one out of a few manufacturer approved web templates and part of that includes stock being auto-added as soon as the invoice is assigned. So vehicles in transit or even customer orders will show up.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Except that wasn't really what they said. It was that Ford specifically didn't want dealerships trying to charge customers who'd put in a Lightning preorder for the privilege of being prioritized onto the dealer's build assignment list.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Especially with all the sensors lurking behind body panels. Tap a rear bumper corner and beyond a bit of paint damage you may have smashed a nearly thousand dollar radar unit. LED headlight units also can be eye-wateringly expensive.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

cruft posted:

e: Wait, this was made in 2009? Why am I just hearing about it?

The Focus Electric? Because it was a limited, lame compliance model so Ford really didn't actually want to sell many.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
While in reality the Ioniq 5 isn't like Rabbit-sized as the proportions in pictures might fool you it's basically just a big hatchback getting called an SUV for marketing. It's still shorter than even many subcompact crossovers.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Rivian's dashboard also does the traffic visualizer thing.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Because they don't have tax credits when it was setup/yet.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Thats a pretty good thought there and explains the more "odd" proposed features. Esp if I read that correctly, the sound will be the amplified sound of the actual motor, rather than ICE. Also that looks so good it could be a Hyundai concept car.

I'd guess more like they're using one of those 'active sound exhaust' setups like some VW/Audi or Thor electronic exhaust.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

I am absolutely on board with you, i just don’t think this kind of vehicle will ever have a commercial success in the land of sold out Ford Lightnings for 3 years or whatever it is.

Or when the same ~$26k before rebates price gets you a Bolt EV without all of the compromises of the minimalist form factor.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Normal Barbarian posted:

Shower thoughts reality check:

There is no reason to buy a 2021 Bolt. It won't get any rebate this year or next.

There are dozens of dealerships with new 2021 Bolts.

Is it insane to think I could find a dealership who'd let me drive one off for ~< $20k cash?

A Premier, hopefully.

If you find a used one it should qualify for the $4k credit I think.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Hopefully "a private offer" isn't "hey, buy a 2023 model for only $4000 more than you agreed to pay for a 2022, or we can just cancel your order".

Ford's supposed to do the same thing for all of the unscheduled Maverick orders as well. It's anticipated to be a personalized rebate to cover the pricing between when you ordered and the new MY of same/similar config. So in theory you could downgrade configuration and get some good savings. On the flipside being a rebate this may mean you end up paying sales tax on the full price of your config. And since it's a new order you also potentially lose financing incentives which can sting a bit with the interest rate increases.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Of course buying a 2022 Chevy Bolt new is a complete ripoff right now based on the IRA tax break and lower 2023 MSRP. I asked if I could take delivery Jan 1st and the dealer was like "No".

I wonder. Would the best strategy for a '22 Bolt in the interim be to lease it and then buyout when the option becomes available <$25k for the $4k used credit? Edit: Ah, looks like leases might not get the '23 price match rebate and that might screw up the residual value for the 2 model year timeframe anyways.

darnon fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 31, 2022

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
And because the CAFE formulas are extra dumb it's part of what pushes manufacturers to make trucks wider/longer wheelbase because that eases the fuel efficiency requirement.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Not everyone has YouTube embeds enabled so it just appears as a random link without context.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The Equinox EV is supposed to be ~$30k starting so 3-4k more.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

MrLogan posted:

Is the tax credit a point of sale credit starting 2023? Is there a website that lists how much credit each EV gets starting 1/1/23?

Credit at time of sale doesn't go into effect until 2024 I believe.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

priznat posted:

I guess it is because it is a prototype but won't the seats have your knees up to your chin if you are adult sized? that flat floor with the sliders is neat buuuuut noplace to put the feet!

Heck, the roofline looks about as high as my Maverick and the bed able to be reached into. That surely won't do for a modern, real manly man's truck! Imagine the real thing will have the beltline jacked up about 6 inches more plus another 4 inches of lift.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

cruft posted:

Wasn't there somebody who actually used a brushed motor in their powertrain?

Wasn't it VW?

BMW because of course they would.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I like the AAwireless because the cord is removable which gives some more flexibility in placement and whether you want to tie up a USB-C or -A port. I have mine plugged into the USB-C on my Maverick so I can use more common -A flash drives (Sync being a fucker to browse media when driving notwithstanding).

darnon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
You could still get it indirectly via leasing if the manufacturer passes it on a cap cost reduction to the lease. In addition based on one of the recent ruling that also allows some of the non-NA assembled manufacturers to still get the EV credit as a lease.