Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Bettik posted:

One limitation these videos all seem to have is no inheritance - it’s all the scope of a single character.

Rimmy's video jumed around a lot over the course of 150 years give or take. He just didn't focus on succession and inheritance while he was trying to establish his anime sex cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Unkempt posted:

Well, I want Ulster and hey look! It's at war with Alba! Hey, Alba has a Queen - maybe I can marry someone to her, get an alliance... no. She's already married.
To the King of Ulster.
Who she's at war with.
Hmm.

She really liked that cat.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Popoto posted:

I had this bug happen to me a few times before this patch, so it’s been there a while.

This bug has popped up, at least a few times, every time I have played someone who can raid.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Wait for a moment of weakness, or create some. Civil wars and succession battles are great times for an outside force to snipe a county or two.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

BillBear posted:

How come the AI can raise insane amounts of dudes compared to me? My Russia is loving massive but can only raise 21k with a good and long ruling tsar yet, not even a fully unified england can raise 15k alone, Aquitaine can raise 38(!) and half of Hungry can raise 9k. Is it tied heavily with your martial or something? I have all my contracts on default.

How many allies do they have? If you just look at the number on their character page it includes the armies of their allies, Mousing over it should give the breakdown.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that is probably more accurate than you think. Unless there is like a historical bloodfued I doubt a nobleman could realistically take war personally or they would have no one left

There's a whole set of customs around that. "The kiss of peace" and similar things. The friendship will be fine, you guys will sponsor a tournament together or have a sleepover and everything will be right as rain. (Both actually things kings did to show how they were totally burying the hatchet after conflict)

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
What do you mean by "Chinese feudalism"? The game can't simulate the internal dynamics of the Byzantine Empire in it's current state.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Marry all your daughters matrilineally to 3rd and 4th sons, unless you really need a powerful ally right now and need to do a normal marriage for one. Have a load of sons and land the ones who don't die in battle, or land one whenever you are over your domain limit. Have the dynasty map bear no resemblance whatsoever to whatever you borders are at the moment.

It's a game of dynasties as much as proto-states, so spreading your bloodline over as large a territory as possible strengthens you and gets those crazy dynasty perks.

Always Be Breeding.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

pidan posted:

It's realistic!

With regards to diseases specifically, I can imagine that the developers weren't really in the mood to model horrifying epidemics in 2020. But everything else is also much more calculable in CK3, only the death-in-battle rate is pretty high (without certain perks), but that just gives you an easy way to rid yourself of undesirable heirs.

The rate of maiming and deaths in battle in unrealistically high, while the rate of death from disease is unrealistically low. It's like none of the nobles fighting are using armor at all, or all the battles are being fought with late medieval gunpowder weaponry.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

It’s like a lot of the fighting sides has a “no prisoner” attitude, which is very much against the norm of medieval European fighting, when a victorious army would be scrambling to get their hands on the enemy nobles, expecting a juicy payday down the road for their release. I could see them adding something to this in the future, having people making their fortune by hunting down particularly rich enemies on the battlefield.

This is true, but also you can look at the number of metal facemasks around your court indicating people who have been maimed; there are way too many. Prior to firearms grievous loss of limb was a lot less likely to be seen among veterans, the weapons caused that kind of injury less often and it was more likely to see someone, with many scars, perhaps a missing eye or a damaged leg or arm, but still have all their bits.

From acoup.blog: https://acoup.blog/2021/02/12/collections-the-universal-warrior-part-iib-a-soldiers-lot/

quote:

Of course the wounds themselves were also different. One thing Hudson notes in the emergence of an English (and later British) pension and hospital system for wounded veterans was how this process was motivated by the change in the kinds of wounds received created by gunpowder weapons. Now of course ancient weapons could also give disabling wounds (note Debby Sneed’s work on the topic of people with disabilities in the ancient world), but the real difference in the lethality of different kinds of weapons matters quite a bit.

The modern reader, for instance, may be puzzled by the repeated framing in ancient texts of units in combat being ‘wearied by wounds’ since generally speaking a soldier wounded in combat with modern weapons is typically a lot more than ‘wearied’ by the experience. But pre-gunpowder weapons aren’t that lethal, especially with blows land against the limbs instead of the head or the chest (which might be better armored in any case). When you view, for instance, tests of pre-modern weapons, remember that real targets would be armored and often moving to try to minimize the damage of the hit (on this see S. James, “The Point of the Sword: What Roman-era weapons could to do bodies – and why they often didn’t” in Waffen in Aktion, ed. A.W. Busch and H.J. Schalles (2010)). Which is how you have M. Servilius covered in scars and yet still very much alive in his 70s to brag about them.

Firearms – even fairly early firearms – are substantially more lethal (a point W.E. Lee makes in Empires and Indigines (2011) in explaining why even slow-firing muskets so radically raised the lethality of ranged fire exchanges as compared to bows as to force Native North Americans to give up such pitched battles entirely). They inflict very different sorts of wounds, which often require the removal of limbs. It is striking that, prior to gunpowder, the image of the disabled veteran seems to have been a scarred fellow, with all of his limbs, but perhaps a limp or a missing eye (both Philip II of Macedon and Antigonus Monopthalmus, one of his generals, managed each to lose an eye in combat) or requiring a crutch (note Debby Sneed’s piece above for a few pictures; Matthew, A Storm of Spears (2012) also has a relevant discussion of wounds in hoplite combat).

With gunpowder, as Hudson’s essay demonstrates quite clearly (he has some tables on the topic) the picture changes. With musket balls or grape-shot, non-lethal scarring wounds to the body were far less common (such wounds were much more likely to be lethal) while wounds to the extremities seem to have often rendered limbs inoperative, if there was a limb left at all. It was precisely this change in military technology that overwhelmed the old charitable systems of almshouses and forced the reforms Hudson discusses.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
What would be a good name for a Norse-Cornish hybrid culture? I'm struggling to think of one.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Besides the Kru culture down in Guinea in Western Africa, are there any other cultures that start with Practiced Pirates? It's a long way to go for a Norse hybridization, but if you want to be able to keep raiding when you go Feudal and organizer religion it's probably the quickest way to get there.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

How are u posted:

1) Cats are wonderful.
2) Pet bonuses are nice.
3) Pet interactions are fun.
4) Spouses are generally very replaceable.

Don't I know it. I have a ruler in still in his twenties who is on his fourth wife. First soulmate wife died to the court serial killer chain, second wife didn't last more than a few months, then the killer was caught. Third wife lived for several years before dying in childbirth. So from marrying at age 16 to being in his late twenties this ruler lost 3 wives, none through his own actions.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Moreau posted:

It's for a Mother of Us All run. Typically, I'm not very expansionist and I mostly stick to feudal areas. So this is quite new and forcing me to change my playstyle - looks like Ill need to focus more on the raiding early game for a quick source of prestige.

How often can you form hybrid cultures? Theres a few cultures around the Hausa (Mossi, Mashriqi) that have useful traditions that I might snap up if its quick enough (as opposed to reforming which takes forever)

There is a fifty year cool down on it. I just found that out today.

Try blending the Akan culture, it has the Mystical Ancestors tradition that can only be added through mixing, you can never develop it otherwise. The Akan are the only culture outside of India, Tibet, and Eastern Asia with access to it.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Moreau posted:

I didn't realise Akan had Mystical Ancestors. I was thinking to reform Bori to Warmonger, Gruesome Festivals and Monasticism to control inheritance which obviously invalidate Mystical Ancestors. Will have to ponder this!

At the moment I'm thinking to hybridise with Mossi for the Bellicose ethos and Adaptive Skirmisher tradition (looking to run with Bowmen MaA); then Mashriqi for the technology boost, Arabian court language and their traditions. Hausa doesn't really have any traditions worth keeping, I think.

Just be aware that if you are identified as being in one culture group, you can't mingle with another culture in that group. I found than out after trying to mingle my Norsemen with the Akan and the Kru in succession, If I stayed North Germanic through the first merger it would have worked but I switched to the Akan heritage which they both share with the Guan. Had to reload from an earlier save to get out of that.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah and you get insane Renown just for being over your grandeur level.

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if the court grandeur requirements weren't super low, or grandeur was actually difficult to come by, but right now the court strips a lot of difficulty out of an already easy game.

It does punish rapid expansion to an extent. If you gather territory faster than you can enhance your capital you can find yourself without the revenue to maintain you "expected lifestyle". It also sucks that the game doesn't tell you that going past level 2 in Food makes all your courtiers fat and gives them increased chance of Gout.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I curious what the limits on sharing a Head of Faith will be. What's the point where the Pope stops recognizing you as part of his flock?

It will make playing Christian sects more fun, since you might be able to be connected to the Catholic behemoth and still have your own heresy.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Technowolf posted:

Is there any way to get out of a post-feudalism debt spiral or is my current run just hosed?

Are you a culture head with lots of coastal provinces?

Practiced Pirates. Welcome to the Raiding life.

If not, disband men at arms, then allow yourself to be deposed as king in favour of another claimant. Play as a feudal vassal as a while, you may find you have fewer financial obligations.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Jose posted:

The character has a daughter but I can't get any more due to a chaste husband who is refusing divorce. I'll check out dynasties though. It's annoying I had taking over another kingdom via marriage organised and then the queen and my heir both died at the same time. Wasn't even aware this character was a ruler

Seduce someone.

Stab the husband and matrilineally remarry someone lustful.

Is the daughter of your dynasty? Can you change laws to allow the daughter to inherit?

Edit: If you change your main title to an elective law like Feudal elective, are there any dynasty member vassals you can make your heir?

Servetus fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 2, 2022

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Dorkopotamis posted:

There's also not a huge downside to just diverging while you hold only your capital province. There is a HUGE upside though, when it comes to tech.

There are certain cultural traditions that this makes ineffective though, Castle Keepers requires that both the ruler and province have the tradition to get the Reniwn boost from holding Castles.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Well the true pro move is to Be Feudal, have no children, give all titles to your childless brother (disinherit his kids if you need to), attempt to imprison him, surrender, repeat. You can blast through every legacy pretty in less than 5 years if you really wanted to do not do this is it extremely tedious

How does surrendering to the childless brother get you Renown? I feel like I'm missing several steps of this.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Also, if you have 2 empires, you can't do it. I found out that if you have both the empires of Alba and Francia you can't use the Foothold decision.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Jose posted:

is the blood legacy tree still considered the best to go for? Might be for me as I currently have an heir with a bunch of characteristics I suppose

I think Plunder is actually better if you have access to it, for the level 4 unlock. After that Blood an Kin are still probably the best.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Jose posted:

I'm not entirely sure why since I've never noticed it before but I'm playing a a Tengri character in the far north east of the map and every time I grant a county title or one of my male children the whole dynasty gains 50 renown lol. Has this always been the case and I just never noticed?

You are playing as the Buryat culture and you have the Mystical Ancestors tradition. Only 7 cultures in the game have it and other cultures can only get it through hybridizing.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Is there a way to become involved in the Iberian Struggle as good ole Haesteinn without losing Asatru? I'm fine with hybridizing culture (never a bad moment for it), but I want to keep raiding and being a dick to the so-called civilized nations.

No, you have to switch to a religion that is involved in the struggle. You can create a heresy of that religion the next day easily enough and stay in the Struggle, but you can't do it and stay Asatru. If you reform your hybrid culture to have the Practiced Pirates tradition you will be able to raid regardless of religion.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Jose posted:

I made a ridiculously overpowered custom character in Ireland with a Norse religion and as soon as the game gave me the crusades can happen notification I got crusaded to restore england and had no way to survive lol

If you're in Ireland how is that a problem? Let the Crusade take England, then work out your next move from there.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

I imagine it’s still really annoying to lose a huge chunk of your realm. Even if you can take it back eventually.

I wish there were more claimant/dissolution factions instead of just constant populists with the occasional peasants. Getting knocked down to ducal rank from kingship is seemingly impossible.

Edit: I guess I don't view losing chunks of territory as that big a deal past a certain point. That's part of the fun. The problem is that it's too hard to lose titles and drop back to count-duke gameplay after you've grabbed your first kingdom.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 29, 2022

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Dreissi posted:

My partner is really starting to get into this game, and I’m looking for a couple of good characters to start a kind of light coop game. My theory is to try out some duchies in the HRE, but other suggestions would be appreciated.

I think the sons of Ragnar Lothbrok make for a fun game from the 867 start. You get access to the Norse content, you can Varangian all over the world, and you are both giving Renown to the Sigurdr dynasty. So you can build an incredibly far flung and renowned dynasty without direct conflict between you, or you can stay in the same neck of the woods.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Serephina posted:

He's talking about new courtiers spun out of thin air by events and such. No idea where the game gets the genetics from, but I hope it's not the realm's ruler?

Interesting question. All I know is that when I found the Akano-Norse on the way to becoming the Kingdom of Mann and the Isles the mayor of Hramsa on the Isle of Mann often ends up looking more African then Norse. It might be where you have counties of that culture, I often make sure that I have at least two provinces of Akano-Norse in west Africa so I can get the canoes tech before I hybridize a second time. Having 50-66% of the culture's provinces in Africa may be adjusting the appearance of generated characters.

Edit: I don't think it's simply the culture group, because I stay North Germanic forming the Akano-Norse.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 30, 2022

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
What are some solid mods to use? I've been looking around the workshop and I've only found a few that I think work well:

Less Restricted Iberian Legacies & Less Restricted Northern Legacies

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2815536473

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2815998944

These allow other cultures other than the Norse and the iberians to enjoy (checks notes) plundering, cities, and nepotism. If you have the right cultural traditions you can unlock those legacies. I prefer this to either totally unrestricted or the vanilla restrictions.

Balanced Buyable building slots
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2760960044
I just like being able to improve holdings without needing to RNG a Lunatic ruler or only be able to do this to Holmatun.

Ecumenical Elopement
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2378956134
Because when two people are willing to forsake the sacred bonds or their marriages to be together, being of different religions isn't likely to stop them.

Battlefield Safety
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2216827183
Basically knights and champions wear armor and are more likely to get captured than mangled in the first fight they get into.

What are some good mods?

I tried Tales of Ireland but I bounced off it. I've been thinking of Sinews of War out but I'm not sure if it's any good?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

Question, is there a limit on how often you can hybridize cultures? I did that once early on, but I was wondering if I could do it again if I came across a culture that was way more advanced than me.

Once every 50 years by default, but you can change that at the start of the game in the rules.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Light Cavalry does synergize well with Pastorialists Tradition (which should be Pastoralists but the typo is still there.)

+1 prowess for all characters of your culture, health bonus for all characters of your culture, -1% Light Cavalry Maintenance for every level of Pastoral Lands in one of your holdings, and +1% Holding tax for every two ranks of Pastoral Lands in that specific holding. Keeps the Light Cavalry cheap and makes knights of your culture slightly better.

I have tried the Hobilar swarm myself (4 stacks of Hobilars, the rest Siege equipment), and you tend to either retreat from battles with light losses due to high Screen, or completely exterminate enemy armies due to high pursuit. You are more dependent on your knights though.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

verbal enema posted:

yeah i had a ton of fun when i elevated the Isle of Mann and just had VV pouring out of my ears

i should do another Isle of Mann run it kicks so much rear end having as much development as Constantinople

I'm sad to say almost all my runs start as Isle of Mann runs. Ivar the Boneless has to be my favorite character to start as.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

verbal enema posted:

i always start as the vassel who owns the Isle so i can do my own thing while helping him and his brothers kick English/ Scottish/ Irish rear end

Ketill Flatnefr. Yes I know his name by now. I found he was too old to have a good start. Usually i grant Ketill Independence then take the island once I've hit Living Legend and need to hold it directly to do the decision.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Is there a way to know how someone got a nickname? Like someone whos dynasty I have been kicking the poo poo out of just got the "crownless" nickname. I'm curious what gave him the name.

There's an event that can trigger during a war, it may be Iberia specific. If the game thinks the ruler is low on cash, not negative necessarily, they can get an event. One of the options gives you the title and some gold as you melt down your crown.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, chances are the AI will be struggling because they declare war on West Frankia right before a giant Catholic populist revolt triggers. You can sweep in to pick up the pieces.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Samadhi posted:

ia there an option to create an empire outside of the ones that come up as de jures overy kingdoms in the title screen?

If you didn't change the game rules creating custom kingdoms and empires is definitely an option. Check the decision menu.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Taear posted:

I got the "win the iberian struggle aggressively" achievement and it's only 0.7% even though essentially it's just "conquer Iberia". Man.

It also requires that your entire home kingdom be of your culture and faith. The usual meta is to not try to spread culture so as to stack development and get technology more quickly. So going for the conquest runs against most player's instincts by this point.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Is minmaxing culture that much even necessary? In my Africa game, I hit high and late medieval well before the date you're allowed to switch, and Africa doesn't exactly start with the highest development. That was with 20+ regions having my culture as well.

It speeds things up slightly, if you only have a few high development counties of your culture it doesn't require many Scholar-kings to stay ahead of the game.

The place where it becomes more release is when you are reforming a culture. As you get more counties adding/swapping Traditions becomes an extremely lengthy process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Serephina posted:

To answer my own question: when diverging, it only swapped my capital. If my capital wasn't the old culture (norse), it picked a seemingly random one which I suspect might have been geographically the closest one available. I also lost my longships (you son of a bitch) so I'm unsure how long the run will last once the Mann buff expires and I can no longer raid.

So you lost Longships when diverging? I never seem to lose them when hybridizing. Norse-Guanches get Longships and West African Canoes without needing to research anything.

When hybridizing I think it picks counties of your culture that are close to your Capital, unless you have no counties of your culture in which case it picks the counties of the other culture. I have to give Dublin Independence or else it gets hybridized when doing Isle of Mann runs. If I have no Norse counties though, the counties in the Canary islands get hybridized instead and I can research Camels after Onegars, before my second Hybridization. All those Camel riding mercenaries from the Isle of Mann.