Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

twistedmentat posted:

I hope Loki will feature both Lady Loki and Kid Loki. Of the 3 shows we saw actual footage from its the one I am most excited about.

WandaVision and Loki segueing into a Gillen-influenced Young Avengers would be so loving sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Movies should become Open Source 10 years after release. All footage including outtakes and pre-effects work shots should be released onto the internet for remixing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Madkal posted:

Reminds me of Samurai Jack where he absolutely wrecks robots and strange monsters because they don't have souls.

:smith:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I am absolutely baffled at the creation of this Cole character.

Sub Zero is going to die and he will become the NEW Sub Zero - Ice Cole(d)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Jamesman posted:

The only thing that I didn't really like about Iron Man 2 was it seemed like, for all intents and purposes, Howard Stark was a dick who screwed his partner over, giving the Vankos a legitimate gripe with Stark Industries and going after Tony. It seemed like the plan was to have Tony confront those ideas of who his father was and what he did, the same way Tony had to confront himself in the first movie. Like, the damage caused by Stark Industries ran far deeper than "No more weapons" was addressing.

But then they turned around and went with "No, Anton was a bad guy and your father didn't do anything wrong" so we could have a clear-cut case of villainy with Ivan rather than something a little more nuanced. We could have had Tony accepting the role his father played in being a lovely person and wanting to make things right with Ivan, but Ivan being all "It's too late for that" and have things carry out as they did. Or you could even have had Tony continue to "save" Ivan from himself and his desire for revenge, preventing Ivan from killing himself at the end, resulting in him getting turned over to SHIELD, and that action being what would ultimately have Fury see that Tony Stark was worth having as part of the Avengers, instead of ending Iron Man 2 with "We don't want you." and starting Avengers with "OK, gently caress, we need you." You know, like show us he's a hero by doing heroic stuff instead of showing us he's a hero because he's fighting a villain.

I don't know. I guess this is why I don't get to write movie scripts.

This was exactly my problem with IM2, Whiplash was more sympathetic than anyone else in the film. gently caress the Starks.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

John Cena finally getting to show off the fact that he has excellent comic timing

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Was this the reveal of who Elba plays finally too? Or did I miss that earlier?

Bloodsport

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sanschel posted:

Who could be Ares though? You’d need somebody who can do stern and stoic, and threatening, but could also veer into satirical ultra violence.

Roman Reigns

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

That also reminds me that I need to watch the first Highlander film before my Netflix accounts lapses.

I loved Highlander but I made the mistake of rewatching it and man, the fight scenes... are bad

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Inkspot posted:

Rhys Darby as Silver Surfer. Enough brooding. This is the MCU. Time for a super personable Norrin Radd, desperate for someone to talk to besides his stuffy, planet-devouring boss.

Jemaine Clement as Galactus

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Alpha Flight but it's set in New Zealand and the cast is just everyone from the What We Do In The Shadows movie, and Wellington Paranormal spin-off.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

theironjef posted:

I'm still fairly confident that the OT Fagbenie casting is a red herring and the movie's twist will be that that's Rachel Weisz in the Taskmaster suit. It's not a spoiler if it's a hunch, right?

I think you're probably right, and it's annoying because Comics Taskmaster is an incredibly fun antagonist. It would be a shame to waste him as as "mute badass who is unmasked for a twist". At least put him in a Deadpool movie or something.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I think it's neat but I'm also kinda disappointed that it looks like they're gonna give Shang-Chi powers via those rings (at least some rings for a little while) and the movie's probably gonna end up with him getting all of them. I mean I guess they gotta give him some sort of super power whenever the next team up happens but I kinda hoped they'd just have him solve everything by kung fu-ing real good like comics

It'd be neat if he walked away with one or two but not all of them, so he's normally a Kung Fu guy but can call on an extra burst of power when poo poo gets serious.

Plus it would also paint a massive target on his back.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

What we really need is an Unbeatable Squirrel Girl series

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Really wish we had a throwaway line from Waller about letting Starro do its thing for a bit before calling the Justice League/calling in a nuclear strike.

As it is "we're just going to ignore the building sized alien that can make zombies because something something destabilising an enemy" makes her look like a massive idiot.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Samovar posted:

I have to admit, him putting on the jacket after using it as a weapon was en pointe.

That was the beat that got me fully on-board

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

theironjef posted:

Who's the dude with all the arms at the end? It kinda looked like Stuhlbarg. Evil extradimensional Nic West?

Codependent Poster posted:

Zombie Defender Strange

Looked like Nightmare to me, but that might be one villain too many

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

It's probably just a matter of how rushed they are, and it makes sense if those were some of the last shots added and they didn't have time to make it look better.

Modern blockbusters will have multiple FX houses working on different shots within the same film, and sometimes even within the same shot. Generally the movie will be broken up into sequences, and companies will bid on them based on what their capacity, specialities, and budgets are. You'll sometimes also get cases where one company will make the 3D stand-in or model for, eg; The Hulk, which will get shared with another company who has shots to do that involve them.

Further complicating matters is that the FX houses themselves often have satellite offices in places where labour is cheap but there is less technical/artistic oversight. Usually they'll do the lower-skilled work like rotoscoping or matchmove, but sometimes this causes issues if a shot keeps coming back bad and the FX house is running out of time. And finally you've got directors/producers sticking their oar in and changing things at the last minute, often for no good reason.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Kaveman posted:

I think it's fair to hold Marvel to a higher standard from a technical standpoint as they have the whole Disney monolith behind them. The CGI should be flawless, obviously cramming 3 films a year that need to hit deadlines makes that less possible but that's not the viewers problem.

Again this is not how the VFX industry works at all. Disney/Marvel are contracting this work to several different companies, probably in different countries. Those companies bid on the shots, estimating how much it will cost/how much they will charge for the work. The quality of their work is down to a huge number of factors including artist skill, company budget, production meddling, etc etc. Disney or their distributor will set the release date, which sets a hard deadline for the VFX. The more changes requested from the client, the less time the VFX company has to implement them, so the worse they'll likely turn out.

Other factors: How much is shot on set, whether the director knows how to shoot for VFX (or has help from someone that does), any last minute changes mandated by the studio, etc etc etc.

Things that Disney/Marvel/literally any company can do to try and ensure good VFX:
- Pick companies with proven track records in the kind of effects required (digi-doubles, water effects, etc etc)
- Hire directors who know how to shoot for VFX, or train them/give them assistants who do
- Shoot as much as possible on set, because even if elements get replaced with CG doubles later, the original footage gives actors and artists reference to use for the effects shots.
- Have a strong vision from the start that directors can finesse in VFX screenings, rather than forcing VFX companies to make a million revisions until the director sees something they like
- Stick to a shooting script, don't do last minute greenscreen days before the movie is set to open because it doesn't matter who you hire, it'll still look poo poo

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Kaveman posted:

I don't see how this negates what I said.
Disney is the biggest media corporation in the world they have the resources to implement all the suggestions you've laid out yet they don't.

My point is that those things are literally the only thing they can control and it's still no guarantee that the outcome will be "flawless" because of the myriad of external factors. Given the nature of deadlines, they may have to accept a "good enough" effects shot because it's that or delay release, which is not something that's done lightly (and actively costs money)

I don't think even Disney has the cash lying around to make a completely in-house VFX pipeline on the scale needed to do every shot on every Marvel film themselves, not to mention the amount of talent needed.

EDIT: Technically they COULD change an already announced release date, but that's not going to happen just for a single VFX shot. We're looking at "needed major reshoots" or "Sonic's Weird Human Teeth" level fuckups for that .

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 22, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Exclusive: Fake Accounts Fueled the ‘Snyder Cut’ Online Army
"A WarnerMedia report reveals that bots and other inauthentic users bolstered the fan-led campaign for director Zack Snyder’s Justice League do-over"

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

One of the things that I really liked about the Ant Man films was that they were based around personal stakes and character moments.

This does not look like that :smith:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

It's the Ant family adventure in the Quantum Realm. It's still gonna be that.

Like don't get too distracted by Kang. This is either the first appearance of the character that will have his name in the title of an Avengers movie or he's a variant.

Yeah but it's all THE FATE OF THE UNIVERSE IS AT STAKE and WHOAH ANOTHER DIMENSION and what I liked about Ant Man was that it wasn't about that, and it was nice that there was a bit of the MCU that didn't have to be.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Definitely looks like a Groot Suit, and I’m here for it. I wouldn’t be mad if they made Rocket a muppet. Get weird.

I think there's going to be a huge backlash to using a costume instead of CG, to the point where it may get violent.

It'll be a Groot Suit Riot.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Medullah posted:

Really subvert expectations and do a Planetary movie with the Four instead of the FF

I'd love a Planetary TV series tbh, set it in the late 90s.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

site posted:

i really don't know how y'all are getting from the comedy the entire rest of the show was to body horror death scenes but i have to imagine you must've been watching something else

I was expecting a smash cut to an ambulance

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

NieR Occomata posted:

I have a hard and fast rule about not consuming any media that Hawkman appears in, and it’s served me well over the years.

You've never watched JL/JLU? Or did you just skip the Hawkman episodes?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

No I saw Army of the Dead. He still has to deal with the latter.

Remember how this movie went out of its way to show a Chekhov's Gun that made the audience immediately think about how sick it was going to be when it went off, then never actually fired it?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

At the beginning of the movie they walk through a massive crowd of dried out, immobile zombies. The coyote (as in people smuggler, not the animal) says "You should see them when it rains" and then it never rains.

This is what I was getting at yeah, idk why people are talking about TV tropes or Cinema Sins or whatever. That scene immediately sets up a "oh poo poo this is going to be awesome" scenario that it never comes back to and it's one of the only things I can remember about the movie.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

All I'm saying is, the song "Turtle Power" by Partners in Kryme from the 1990 movie was the number one single four weeks running in the UK and that should be the end of the matter.

Spin That Wheel is also on that soundtrack and it's a banger

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I like that bass-heavy remix of Intergalactic

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Opopanax posted:

It absolutely is, it’s just the f-bomb in gotg3, it all just feels hollowly like the “comics are for adults too” we already had to go through

"Open the loving door!" was perfectly timed and hilarious though?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

loved Across The Spiderverse, even the plot was overstuffed it never felt long or dragging.

Also I had a thought last night;

How do you have your cake and eat it too? Two cakes.

How do you defeat The Spot and save your dad? Two Miles.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I'm sure this is one of those where there are gonna be (well, there already are I'm sure, but there's gonna be more) YouTube videos of people doing frame-by-frame analysis on "Name That Spider" for weeks though I like the editorial boxes popping up everywhere for some.

Screencrush has a pretty good breakdown of all the Spiders Mens, though I'm sure they've missed some.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

We just reap the benefits in terms of adaptations or being able to pick the good runs to read. God help the poor fuckers who feel compelled to buy physical comics still though, goddamn.

they just killed Ms Marvel in the comics, in case you're wondering how well print is cashing in on other media

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Joe Fisto posted:

Producers couldn’t secure this for the theme song so they changed the title

https://youtu.be/A_DgkB200ws

knew what this was before I clicked

was not disappointed :black101:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

TwoPair posted:

e: gently caress, beaten

Gotta go fast

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I should have figured.

Do we know if it is coming to streaming any time soon? If not that, then I will see if I could go this weekend or the next.

Go see it in a cinema, it's absolutely worth it on a visual level alone

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Deadpool or Blade seem most likely to me

I hope it's Blade. Then we just need whoever in the Marvel universe is closest to THE ALCHEMIST and we'll have an MCU Order Of The Triad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Macaluso posted:

At the end of the say I'm just not interested in keeping up with both TV shows with full seasons of episodes and also the movies. So now I don't keep up with either one.

I like reading this thread despite not watching most of the stuff

Same. In theory Secret Invasion should be right up my alley but I just find myself not giving a poo poo.