Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

What! Oh my god. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm still kinda aghast at the cgi Princess Leia with Carrie Fisher soundboard in TROS.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

John Boyega got hosed over so hard and it's 100% understandable that he'd be pissed.

I mean admittedly so did every actor who wasn't Adam Driver but Boyega more than most.

Even Adam Driver was kinda just making the most of what he had. Kylo Ren having literally no lines for the last third of the film is so weird.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I would be all for the Sixties time bubble of the Raimi films if it wasn't for the awful Mary Jane plots. The way she's written makes so much more sense when you realize the purpose of literally every female character is to be an obstacle to Spider-man.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 3, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Aphrodite posted:

...Well do you want 60s Spider-Man or not?

I know it's accurate but that doesn't mean I have to like it!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Blockhouse posted:

I think everything about Doc Ock that isn't Molina's performance is bad

The tentacle puppets are cool as hell.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Vince MechMahon posted:

Then he punched through with an extended arm while holding the guy closer to him. I admit it's a dumb framing and way to show it, but I never went "oh that guys dead" more than I do in any combat scene in the Arkham games where you're crippling people and then leaving them in trash cans in an abandoned city during a horrible snow storm or whatever.

tbf people do joke about the Arkham or Spider-man games being hilariously lethal-looking, but I think people also recognize it's technically the player's call to throw a manhole cover into a crowd.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Shirkelton posted:

Interesting that you would call a movie centring two black, disabled voices 'racist'... :raise:

I'm pretty sure he's making fun of the people who said it would be racist to have an Asian actor for Iron Fist.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Alhazred posted:

They can legally compel you. If you refuse service you can be sentenced to jail.

You people would know this if you just read Taylor Swift Updates!!!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

You are trying really hard to get preemptively angry about the idea that a murderous dictator who actively does horrifying things and has tried to take over or destroy the entire universe of multiple occasions might in fact be a bad person. American Bad doesn't mean you have to stan for the dude who was perfectly fine with total atrocities.

I think they're making an America Bad about Cuba actually.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Karloff posted:

To add to that ^ super-heroes work through metaphor, often broad ones, which is why real-world application often can miss the forest for the trees and why they make for good children's entertainment (though yes, not exclusively). Joker seems to represent the horror of random cruelty, the fact that something terrible can happen to you for no reason, that people can do awful things for the sake of pure nihilism or just out of the joy of cruelty itself. As Batman lost his parents to a pointless act of cruelty you can see why that conflict becomes interesting, especially as Batman also works as a metaphor for turning life defining trauma into something constructive. There is no evil figure like the Joker in real life, or a heroic figure like Batman, but they kind of communicate concepts that we do recognize from our lives. Like, you can't be Spider-Man in real life, no one can, but you can stand up for people and poo poo.

A lot of criticism on the internet comes off as weird bragging about complete inability to read a metaphor, like "Star Wars isn't about anything political because The Empire isn't a real country".

That said Rises is really almost explicitly conservative. It has good moments though, like the difference between Bruce Wayne's/Batman's funerals.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm still wary because of ScarJo's "I should play anything!" weird thing, but yeah, this is going to end with a settlement.

I do wonder if they are going to drop the D+ premiere experiment all together.

Isn't there no need for it if coronavirus goes away (hahahah)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Soonmot posted:

I just really wish they had made Carnage a brighter more vivid red. We're gonna get stuck with two muddy blobs fighting each other again. I also wish they hadn't used a symbiot in the first movie because this is basically more of the same.

I'm excited because I want venom to kiss himself again and also watch woody go bananas

Between this and the Clifford movie is there some kind of filmmaking rule along the lines of "don't shoot roads in daytime" that forbids bright red cgi?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

twistedmentat posted:

That's almost worse than rumors of having a small donger, because now you take your pants off every woman is going to go "wait, where's the giant horsecock i was promised?"

Is Javelin's javelin anything special in the comics?

The moral is Arianna Grande is not to be messed with.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
It seems kinda like a James Gunn situation where like it's offensive but probably less offensive than contemporary posts on, say, Something Awful

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I can't believe Wakanda being too advanced for vaccines is not a shitpost.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh so that's what that scene in The Boys was parodying.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Cavill is kinda weird because he's super popular and beloved but all of his roles are unfortunate in their own ways. Maybe they really do need to hurry up with that WH40K adaptation.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Was he all in on gay Juggernaut?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Don't they call all animated things anime in France?

The real question is if Gargoyles is anime.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

OnimaruXLR posted:

I dunno about this. While being extra creepy and having a hosed up look aren't exactly great add-on traits, Joker's biggest problem for the last... since Jason Todd died is the mixture off his willingness and ability to kill literally anyone, in ludicrous amounts, and his implausible level of competence and resilience.

Him getting into tedious circular philosophical arguments with Batman isn't half as annoying to him, a a dude in clown makeup, somehow turning into the lynchpin to several apocalyptic scenarios

Maybe this process started in the comics first but that's how he is in The Dark Knight too. The Dark Knight is basically structured so that Joker is a crime genie who can magically predict everything and everything works out perfectly for him until the very end, with the Boat scene. Because that was the only plan that depended on other people being evil to each other, which is why it fails.

It's a good movie! But everything else just copies Super Terrorist Joker without the resolution to it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

JT Smiley posted:

It has to be the weirdest stunt casting in a video game. I refuse to believe anyone bought mk11 because she was in it.

I don't blame Netherrealm Studios because it was almost certainly something they were forced to do but this was already a couple years after Rousey mania wore off so it was a transparently bad idea even at the time.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

StumblyWumbly posted:

But also, with her and the director, folks tend to hold it together better, even on junk action movies. WB PR must have checked out, maybe folks aren't terribly worried about cutting ties with WB, which has really jerked folks around (Batgirl being the biggest example), or maybe filming during the pandemic was as lovely as it sounds.

I'm reminded of the Star Wars sequel trilogy where by the end everyone just gave up not making GBS threads on Disney.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Everyone remembers Ledger but Gary Oldman is also there acting circles around everybody else.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Isn't the only comic book writer who got promoted to the movies Geoff Johns

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Lobok posted:

There's also the LEGO Movie or Wreck-it Ralph but I picked Fortnite because in everything else the brands and IP and what not are only ever side characters, cameos, extras, or background detail. In Fortnite it actually is Goku vs Walter White as the main characters.

That Fortnite ad where Eren Jaeger is just there trips me out every time.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't seen The Batman yet but I'm over "topical" supervillains in general, even when they thematically make sense. If MCU Magneto is a Proud Boy or Doom is a NFT guy I'll be miffed

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't really get how certain comic book storylines become part of the stable that gets drawn from over and over again. Like that period of time where they kept doing Death in the Family. Nobody really liked Flashpoint even at the time!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
There's nothing wrong with the idea of Dr Doom as the villain of a Fantastic Four movie as long as you don't do the thing of killing him at the end of the movie.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

STAC Goat posted:

Its weird because there's just this one generation of Superman movies that's like "maybe Superman is actually a moody dude who doesn't necessarily seem like he wants to be a hero?" So now Gunn's just trying to reset expectations back to the standard idea.

I think about this line from Jenny Nicholson's Batman vs Superman video a lot. Paraphrasing, "Superman seems to save people out of obligation. Wanting to help people or be a nice person doesn't factor into it."

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Dawgstar posted:

Even the stuff starring Perlman? I can get the Harbour movie.

Everybody loves Perlman and the effects but I think it's, like, fair to dislike the Guillermo movies for taking a pretty unconventional comic and forcing it into a much more typical superhero movie. It's just that the other adaptations don't even succeed at that level.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Wanda is really only missing one scene in her arc, but it's a really important scene. It's like if Spider-man 2 didn't have the scene of Doctor Octopus talking to his arms.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Soonmot posted:

Bit of a derail, but do we have a thread for the writers strike? I looked in D&D and CD and nothing stood out to me.

There's a TVIV thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031066&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey, maybe they're talking about Miller's performance in Fantastic Beasts :shepface:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Sometimes I remember that old CineD post for the first Spiderverse where a goon said they didn't understand why people like Miles because black people already have Will Smith in I Robot.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

This is perfect for one of those parody twitter accounts like OneLessThanPerfectShot or OneImperfectShot

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

OnimaruXLR posted:

Captain Falcon

gently caress.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

CzarChasm posted:

It almost feels like they are taking the big game hunter, poacher, rear end in a top hat, character traits and giving them to Crow's character, so we can identify with Kraven and empathize with him. Oh no, you see, he's an abused child, he doesn't want to kill these dangerous animals, he respects life and nature and probably votes liberal.

When you put it this way this is a weird genderbend of the Cruella movie.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

CapnAndy posted:

Aphrodite for God's sake, quick, express faith in the Fantastic Beasts franchise! Use your powers for good!

Honestly Fantastic Beasts seems just as dead.

wikipedia posted:

In November 2022, Variety reported that Warner Bros. Discovery had no Wizarding World films in active development and was not in "active discussions" with Rowling regarding the future of the franchise, leaving the future of the Fantastic Beasts series in limbo.

Movies that nobody wanted to see and nobody wanted to make, how cursed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Would it have been inconceivable to cast Bad Bunny as a more popular comic character even if they weren't originally latino? If it's already an excuse for a celebrity vehicle I just don't get being bound by the license.