Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

ikanreed posted:

I can't even tell what's going on in this one.

Uncle Fester is sharpening the spikes on the fence with a file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Does that Iron Man look like Richard Nixon to anyone else or is it just me?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The_Other posted:

Yeah, I keep wondering if Allison will bring that up in this story (I'm a supporter on his Patreon so I got the full comic as a pdf, but I want to read it at same pace of the rest of this thread). I've always wondered if Allison still thinks of the Wen-Tack stories as cannon, given that they are not even mentioned on the old Scary Go Round site. Lottie sort of makes a reference to it in Wicked Things:

He addresses it in the comment section for the last strip:

https://badmachinery.com/comic/very-street-most-peng/

John Allison posted:

I just didn’t have anywhere to put it on the site and didn’t think it was very good. Picture a clock with no hands and no face and that’s how much time I spend thinking about whether something I have done is “canon” or not. All the Wen Tack events happened. They just weren’t any good.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

As bad as all that is (and it's pretty bad), I also hate the loving super-exaggerated "physically pained" expressions when someone says something dumb. Like they don't trust the reader to realize what the person said was really dumb.

It's just a mean version of a PLOP! take or those half-lidded eyes that Hollbrook gives his characters when they deliver their "opps I forgot to tell a joke" punchlines.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mikl posted:

Also also: Modesty and Willie didn't have to bail Guido out of trouble! This is a first I think!

The strip having him pull off a well planned intelligence operation instead of walking up to the front door shouting "Who order-a tha pizza-pie?!" before getting immediatly captured is an odd character choice for him.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Professor Wayne posted:

Because faces get reused so much in about any comic, I had no idea she was supposed to look exactly like another character but with different hair. I thought Cooper was just cursing at a barista for no reason. It's like if Krillin ran up to Goku and told him that most guys they know look exactly like him except for their hair and/or scars.

Personally, I can't read a comic with a reference to drink sizes in it without assuming it's an edit. I read it three times trying to figure out what the joke was before I read the second one.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Didn't the cousin wave a wad of cash before she ran down whatherface? Where was that supposed to come from?

Does the restaurant just leave all their cash sitting out overnight in an unlocked register?

Does the cousin just carry cash around in case she needs to make a point before attempting murder?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

amigolupus posted:

I know Tove wrote Snorkmaiden getting jealous when someone else shows an interest in Moomin, but that usually happens after she's ditched him once or twice. It's a minor nitpick, but Lars writes Snorkmaiden a bit OOC.

Everything about the Lars Moomin feels slightly off-model.

It's like those mid-era Simpsons seasons where the episodes weren't terrible the way they are now, but they were clearly lesser works compared to the first half dozen seasons.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

fondue posted:

I don't get this

If you pronounce it in French, it sounds like "cat sank."

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Meaty Ore posted:

He dropped a quarter in the water, and it sank.

25 is vingt-cinq.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Gatto Grigio posted:

It’s so unearned. Genre switches and meta-humor exist only to try to hide that this cast is so flat and boring.

Reminds me of a high school essay written by a kid who has nothing to say about the subject, so he just writes a paper about how lame and pointless college essays are and thinks he’s the first to do so.

At least Rex is making an effort instead of doing a multi-week arc about how old people find dogs pleasant.

Mary Worth had such a clear and easy to follow formula: find a problem, meddle in it, move on. I can't figure out why they abandoned it.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

:aaa:

:gonk:

This new Mark Trail art sure is... variable.

It feels more natural if you imagine that all of the supporting characters (and possibly the writer) have raging cocaine habits.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Okay everyone, of the currently running strips that are posted in the thread (so no classics from years past), what are your top three favorites? Here are mine. Counting down:

3. Andertoons. I'm a little surprised I rate this one so highly, but it's funny a surprising amount of the time, and it's almost always at least clever. (And I'm amazed that he's still finding new punchlines for "people looking at a graph".)

2. Arlo and Janis. It's honest, endearing, and usually about fuckin'. I never really got this strip as a kid, but now that I'm a bit older, it's awesome. (And it's also kind of a relationship goal for when we reach that age.)

....drumroll....

1. Wallace the Brave. If any strip is the spiritual successor to Cul de Sac and Calvin and Hobbes, it's this one. Childhood whimsy and imagination, but without ever feeling cloying.

If you have a favorite you'd like to name but it isn't being posted in the thread, well then, this is your call to start posting it! :)

Currently, my top three are:

3) Arlo and Janice - King of the Family Strips

2) Nu-Mark Trail - A bit because of the novelty of the new creator, but mostly because it is actually making an effort to move its stories along.

1) Wallace the Brave - Obviously.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Why is Lottie's orange shaped like a lemon? OR why is she peeling an orange lemon? Is this a British fruit? I learn so much from this comic

Now that brexit's done and they're out from under the yoke of EU bureaucrats, British fruit can be any shape it wants to be.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Medenmath posted:

Tristram certainly has been the second most important so far. Aside from the quick treatment of his and Isolde's story, Val jousted with him early on. As far as other knights of the Round Table, the strip on May 8, 1937 gave us a quick look at Lancelot:

And this strip from January 8, 1938 briefly introduced Bedivere, Kay, Mordred, and Ector (plus Ulfius and Brastias, who I am not sure are from older Arthurian stories or not):

I'm not sure if others play any significant part, but over decades of strips I wouldn't be surprised if there's a storyline with Lancelot or someone along the way. None of the canonical knights play as big a part as Gawain though, for sure.

I expect that Foster didn't want to lean on the famous Arthurian characters too much to prevent them taking focus away from Val.

Don't forget that great example of nominative determinism, Sir Bumblekin.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

goatface posted:

Deathless Deer is reminding me of Fletcher Hanks.

The Stardust guy? That is exactly what Deer reminds me of. Good catch.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

what if I substituted sugar in place of flour in my roux

That's basically how you make toffee.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Julet Esqu posted:

Yeah, the actual answer should be, "I can't pay rent with 'exposure'."

He's a doctor and I'm sure he's doing just fine financially, but it's the principle. Pay your talent.

For christ's sake. He's an independently wealthy doctor who take photos as a hobby being propositioned by a blond with nice tits to take "modeling photos." Why the hell would he get pissy about it?

Have you all turned into characters from Luann?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Bloop posted:

You've never seen her tits

I extrapolated.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

amigolupus posted:

Regardless of their wealth, you can't just get paid an 'IOU' here. She's not just asking him to do an impromptu shoot, she's also asking him to use up a day when he's not busy at the hospital to do yet more work.

Ok, Gunth. I stand corrected.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

SubNat posted:

Alright, thanks for clearing it up a bit for me.

A big part of the charm of John Allison's comics was that you could read all of his older work on his various websites and see his style change and the characters grow over the years. When new stuff came out, you were invested in all of the characters and knew all of the backstory and in-universe references.

Now, with most of his older stuff memory holed, paywalled, or hidden in out of print collections, I don't know how people are supposed to get into his stuff without threads like this filled with people willing to explain everything.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I think it was a euphemism for "Bullshit"
ed:
AMERICAN, INFORMAL. If you call what someone says banana oil, you mean that it is only said to gain an advantage and is not sincere. "All the things he said about her qualities of leadership were just banana oil". Complete English Grammar Rules.

But it's tricky with those old comics. Sometimes they're just using slang that was common at the time and sometimes they invent a word that becomes slang due to being popular in the comic.

Worry Wort is a good example of the latter. I think goon is as well.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Boston Cream Pie is cake

It has a crust and is therefore a pie.

Just like cheesecake - which is a pie.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Kennel posted:

What's on your mind, Axa?

What's on your mind, every other character in Axa that isn't Axa?

Nipples! I mean murder! MURDER!

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm still stuck on the black guy's wife apparently cucking him for another man...while he himself was cucking that other guy's wife into a twin pregnancy? There's way too much cucking in this comic, especially given how hard it can be to tell characters apart sometimes.

The black guy's wife was raped during the war, as I understand it.

Also, he wasn't screwing Pekka's wife, that was a red herring to set up the twins joke at the end of the plot.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

This one just needs a final panel where the dad complains about the kids never wanting to talk to him about things in order to become one of those depressing scandanavian family comics.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

A lot of homemade ice cream makers have been run by electric motors for as long as I've been alive, and I am horribly, horribly old, so I'm willing to accept that people could conceivably have seen one without knowing that in the olden days they used to be powered by child labor.

There's very good documentary evidence of electric ice cream makers from the distant past:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Gatto Grigio posted:

Did they really name him “Willrow Hood”? :aaaaa:

You bet they did.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

BigDave posted:

Late to FOOB chat, but I think one reason why it's so bad to us now is because in the 80s, misery=drama in terms of family oriented dramas. Think back to "very special episodes" of 80s sitcoms. I'd argue that FOOB's bad writing is bad to us now, but was considered top notch at the time. Sitcom drama story at the time was "junior borrowed the car and broke a mirror" or "sister cheated on a test". Today, family drama is multiple layers of causes interlinked with itself, but in the 80s the mom and dad were fountains of wisdom and the kids were always wrong.

I'm sure in the 80s FOOB was groundbreaking, but today we look at it and say "gently caress thats hosed up"

Just a reminder for everybody: this series of comics threads is so old - and FOOB ran for so long - that it was originally set up specifically to make fun of For Better or For Worse during the last few years of its original run.

:fireman:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

If those are supposed to be childhood mortality, then there needs to be a lot more.

.....a fuken LOT more.

Same for the adults, to be honest. Unless the Keanes are a branch of the Hapsburgs.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

:lmao: OK I did not see this twist coming.

Is she subletting from Sluggo?

quote:

The Phantom

DickButtDickButtDickButtDickButtDickButtDickButtDickButtDickButtDickButt

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Haifisch posted:

I love that everyone in Toonerville keeps being surprised at the powerful Katrinka lifting things with ease. :allears:

Every person in that town is the ancestor of a person who keeps getting amazed at how big Marmaduke is.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

What sort of middle aged person who managed to regain their youth without losing any of their wealth or status would pester someone to turn them old again?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

"It was fake anyways. I couldn't hock it for more than $20. Theoretically."

So where do we think this is going? Will she be shamed into going straight or will next week be about the young doctor fretting over his missing wallet?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

She found that couch put out to the curb for garbage and thought "SCORE!"

Danger bedbugs? Those morons. This isn't a bed. This is a couch.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Julet Esqu posted:

Silverware also points down to reduce the chance of stabbing yourself while emptying the silverware basket.

Except in my dishwasher, where the basket is designed with little holes to put the handles through so it's impossible to put forks in with the tines down.

Are we to interpret that as dish washer designers agreeing that the points go up or as dish washer designers being sadists?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Backwards hand mistake is uncharacteristic of this strip

Maybe it's always been like that and we never noticed. Like Scotty from Star Trek's missing finger.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Boy that spring sounds neat. Let's look it up in Wikipedia.

quote:

"At first I declared it the Crater of an Ancient Volcano. The Water occupying its hollow center is fathomless, and about 200 feet in diameter in a perfect circle! It is always brimming full and running over on all sides ... The hills about it were as sacred to the Indians as those about Jerusalem."

Nice!

quote:

In the end, the developers won. Construction on Glen Elder Dam began in 1964 and was completed by the end of 1968. Engineers bulldozed the hotel and health spa then, adding insult to injury, dumped the debris into the pool of Waconda Spring. Water from the Solomon River began filling up the valley, and by 1970 it was full. The irreplaceable Waconda Spring was lost beneath the waters of the reservoir that now bears its name.

Oh...

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Meanwhile on the front page, Adventures in Transliterating Foreign Names. Oh well, just a couple of rabble rousers, anyway. A hundred years from now, who's gonna know the difference?

Nether of those men look especially Trotskish or Lenniny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Selachian posted:

Modern parents mystified by the concept of kids "coming out and playing"?

You all can't think of anything that happend in the last year or two that would make previously mundane social interactions noteworthy?