Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

I pretty much entirely agree with you, and your effort posts about Labour's factional history are always appreciated, but I'd query your reading of this:

quote:

engineered groups personally led by Mandelson or his handpicked loyalists. e.g., the campaign to reform Clause IV in 1995 was heavily premised on Labour's focus-group-guided polling supposedly indicating a massive aversion to 'old Labour' but in fact Philip Gould himself would both moderate discussions and then write his conclusions on how the party had to change to appeal to Middle Englanders. Exuding confidence, maybe not.

I'd say that does exude confidence, at least of a certain kind. Using focus groups as a factional tool to give the answer you want (so you can effectively say "look, the public agrees with me") suggests you are confident people will believe you. It's setting the agenda, or at least saying your agenda is also the public's agenda, and I think that gets to what Pistol Pete was saying.

It's difficult to get proper reads on current internal party/LOTO's office machinations just because these things are by their nature pretty opaque, but it seems a bit of a mess right now and I do think even judged on his own terms Starmer has done a poo poo job so far and failed to impose a coherent identity or any kind of vibe that makes sense beyond the very very narrow scope of labour infighting.

I know the Blair years get mythologised way too much in UK politics, but it really does seem like the current crop of Labour politicians and commentariat don't really understand it, or care to understand it, beyond "Blair was on the right of the party," and think that that in itself is a guarantee of electoral success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Dead Goon posted:

You take that back!

Gordon Brittas stood for something and had a dream :argh:

Out of morbid curiosity I just googled "what does Keir Starmer stand for?" and the first result is a BBC news article which sums it up quite well:

quote:

Labour leadership: What does Keir Starmer stand for? - BBC ...
https://www.bbc.co.uk › news › uk-politics-51140301
16 Jan 2020 — Sir Keir Starmer wouldn't today reveal whether he saw his ideas and his ambitions for the country as closer to Jeremy Corbyn or Tony Blair.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Legit impressed with Sturgeon/SNP leadership for this.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

One of the benefits of working in supermarkets is you can get fresh bread most days. Still one of the nicest foods IMO.

Yes! Good fresh bread is amazing. My shameful bougie secret is spending at least £9 a week on bread but I don't care because it's goddamn delicious

it's made by a social enterprise that works with prisoners, so that gets me a nicer spot on the wall, right?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

mehall posted:

Some of you may wish to know that Twitter no longer has need of a certain engaging and high-impact poster

https://twitter.com/psflaps

Banned for being a loving TERF.

Did Twitter have an referendum about it too?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

mehall posted:

Wait, poo poo, where can you buy this?

Locavore and Zucchini on the Southside both sell it, and they're local to me so I've not had to go anywhere else. Google tells me a couple of places in the West End also have it (or at least used to stock it), and I imagine there'll be somewhere in Dennistoun too. I think they stock quite a few places in Glasgow, so if there's a cafe/deli near you that gets in fresh bread there's a decent chance it's from there

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

also: pixellate a famous movie scene and make them guess the movie (i had a round get harder and harder and to my astonishment someone guessed american beauty for the last question despite my image having 6 pixels in it)

This isn't cineD but I want to see this!

Guavanaut posted:

Red Ed Redemption.

:golfclap:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Jackie Weaver did in fact have no authority, and the vice chair who was present should have taken control. Read the standing orders.

https://twitter.com/jacob_collier_/status/1357413221402103814

The combination of me missing the original post, mistaking Jackie Weaver for Jacki Weaver, then going back and watching a YouTube video where names pop up like opening credits in a scripted drama piece, was extremely confusing

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I only know because I heard Ed Davey on the radio within the last fortnight.

I find it very hard to believe that anyone could hear Ed Davey on the radio and remember who he was even while he was talking, let alone up to a fortnight later.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

^^ efb :argh:

sebzilla posted:

I could probably name a higher percentage of Lib Dem MPs than Labour MPs.

By naming four people.

"the current leader. You know, that guy."
"that one who seems OK, maybe?"
"that one who hates gay frogs, you know who I mean, looks constipated all the time"
"the one who - no wait they're no longer an mp"
"er..."

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Angepain posted:

You might have an advantage on naming at least one Lib Dem MSP, at least

though I sure as hell can't remember a drat thing he's actually done beyond some stuff about how to depict Shetland on maps

How could you forget the headline Willie Rennie caught off guard by amorous pigs?

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/718400480548941825?s=19

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jedit posted:

I've got no problem with the right wing and the left wing both being investigated as long as the conclusions are honestly reported. Then nobody can say it was a partisan project.

(Yes, I am aware that the conclusions will be reported as "there are a few bad apples on the right, yes, but the toxic legacy of Jeremy Corbyn continues to taint the fascist left".)

Things this report will conclude are of equal terrifying gravitas:
  • The actual, literal murder of an MP
  • An actual, literal murderer saying that his original plan was to kill Jeremy Corbyn
  • Calling Luke Akehurst a var of piss on twitter

Failed Imagineer posted:

These enormous islands will devour us all

Clearly distracting them with ham did not work

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Mark Thomas is someone who - if anyone can really have this said of them - really should have started a podcast by now. His newsletter was incredible in the early days of email, back when people were using it as a proto RSS and before corporate spam reduced it to another notification to mute when you get a new phone.

He's still touring, or at least was before the pandemic.

Mark Thomas is superb, and if anyone hasn't seen him yet they should. He's not only extremely Correct and funny, but his shows are a lot more than just stand up, more like a kind of politics based storytelling about his experiences and activism.

And incidentally, he has a streaming event tomorrow that you should all check out:

quote:

Check Up: Our NHS@70

by Mark Thomas

Tue 16 Feb, 7.30pm

Mark Thomas’s Lockdown Live series continues with his award-winning show Check Up: Our NHS@70.

Having premiered at the Traverse during #TravFest18, Check Up: Our NHS@70 recounts the month Mark spent a month shadowing nurses, consultants and staff at the Imperial Group of NHS hospitals. Mark was there to witness our NHS in action from gastric sleeves to major trauma to dementia wards.

Based on a series of interviews with leading experts in and on the NHS, such as Professor Michael Marmot, the government expert on health inequalities and the then Chief Medical Advisor Professor Dame Sally Davies, Mark uses his own inevitable demise to explore the state we’re in, what's going wrong in our NHS and what the future might hold for all of us.

Followed by a live Q&A.

Admission to this unique performance is £5, 20% of which Mark will generously pass on to the Traverse when booked through the link in this email.

Should you need to contact someone about accessing the stream please contact: chris@gofasterstripe.com

Book Now

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Man hands on property to man
It deepens like a coastal shelf

It fucks things up, inheritance,
The Tories know it, and they ensure,
That wealth outlives the Macabre Danse,
And if your parents are, then you are poor.

Hogheads were hosed for college jests,
By fools in old-style nobs' attire.
Who half the time are columnists,
And half MPs for something -shire

Man hands on property to man
It deepens like a coastal shelf
So buy up as early as you can,
And don't have any jobs yourself.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/colettexcrudenx/status/1359138147830034436

I guess I'm a ScotNat now because this sort of behaviour has no place in this country.

e: For completeness I literally tossed a coin because I couldn't decide whether the joke should have been that or "...because these people don't deserve to be dragged down by the rest of us".

I've literally just walked in the door from the park and cab report that not only was there a van selling ice cream to sledgers at half 5 in the evening in the snow, but there were at least 2 people in shorts.

Nae taps aff though, so clearly it was a little cold

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

It's all about the Honey Mustard flavoured ones. They make a great snack to share at a weekly RPG game. (RIP playing Pathfinder in person with my peeps. Playing it with them online with SourceForge is good, but I miss that part of it.)
You need to have a drink of water or something with them as they are too tough/salty to eat them without one.

They also suffer the problem that the name (Synder) brings to mind the problematic film director's fans.

Pretzel pieces cut to be twice as large as original pretzel pieces and only available in two flavours: "intense" and "tedious"?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Sack the lot of them and replace them with the people doing real science:

:yeah:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

NO
gently caress NO
loving gently caress loving loving NO
gently caress

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Random Integer posted:

https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1360262895838367745

Don't know what you're complaining about, Keir is still miles ahead of 'Dunno' in the polls

To a LOTO
On opening up UKMT and seeing a Twitter post
February, 2021

Sir useless, cowardly, tim'rous Kiethie,
O, what has happened tae the partie?
That joins the gov'ment in the lobbie,
For murderous polis!
Who would be laithe to rape and kill THEE,
O' establishment office!

I'm truly sorry your election,
Has caused the loss of all direction,
An' motivates that poll's opinion,
That makes SPADs ponder,
If already you've outlived your function,
An' need cast asunder!

Thy wee-bit poll lead, now, in ruin!
An' discontent is all a-brewin!
Even papers start to put the boot in,
And forget they said,
That any leader 'cept for Corbyn,
Would be twenty points ahead!

[EDIT:

Camrath posted:

Fudge Update!

Hey guys!

It's friday, that means it's Fudge Restock day!

In addition to supplies of Milk and Dark chocolate, we now have new supplies of Vanilla (which is frankly the best fudge I've ever made to date) and the much requested (and renamed) 'Publicly Toblerowned'. We also have two additional flavours- Irish Cream, now made with genuine Baileys, and our brand new vegan flavour, Vegan Cookies- Mini oreos surrounded by our special fully vegan fudge, for a completely cruelty free treat.

All stock is available for sale at https://www.fudjit.co.uk ; use the special top sekrit goon code 'Roastbeefisbest' to get five for the price of four! :)

And as always, thank you all for your support!

How long does it usually take between ordering and delivery? I want to order some but will be moving in three weeks and don't want to get it sent it to the wrong address!]

Niric fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 12, 2021

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

This is far, far too quick and easy to use to properly evoke the nostalgia of waiting for teletext to do something and getting increasingly frustrated at it

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

I've heard water dealers are pretty unpleasant people

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Convex posted:

Also it occasionally needs to gently caress up and have half the characters replaced with garbage

Game of Thrones was modelled on teletext you say?

Edit: ok this is much better and not 3 years out of date

Guavanaut posted:

BBC Parliament Live still does that.

Niric fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 16, 2021

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm assuming it's going to be a remote meeting? Change your background to make it look like a boat and say you're an admiralty court, at that point you are all good as far as I understand it.

Do this, and occasionally tilt your laptop for added ocean realism. If they still don't buy it, maybe fake a giant quid attack halfway through the meeting.

Actually, just do this with all meetings.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

In a perfect world I would say that, she would go "oh, okay" and we would move on.

Sadly this terminal case of brainworms is likely to end with a judge issuing a warrant for her arrest and her life getting all hosed up. Ah well.

Yes, but what's the downside? :rimshot:

crispix posted:

the world's worst people like to debate people while they are drunk at the pub

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Borrovan posted:

I'd like to know where all these communists are

MI5 infiltration of UKMT getting pretty lazy nowadays

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

Ah well you see they aren't my friends, they are in fact my letting agency who won't answer the loving phone and that's just not what friends do to each other.

Have they given you at least 6 months' notice?

Edit: here's the process they need to follow, so check they haven't missed anything and have used the correct form etc
https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/section_21_eviction/section_21_eviction_process

Niric fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 17, 2021

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

Three, but they can't enforce it unless the eviction ban comes off so basically so long as Covid is here it's a polite request.

Even if the ban expires they'll still need to issue a new section 21 eviction notice, dated from after any law changes. If they're sending you a 3 month notice now in the expectation that the law will change within the next 3 months then I'm pretty that wouldn't be enforceable. Send a polite letter back saying that because have given less than the legal minimum notice you will not be complying with their demand, and keep a copy of it.

Though I can't remember if you're in Scotland Gonzo? If so it's a slightly different process:
https://scotland.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/eviction_of_private_tenants/eviction_of_private_residential_tenancy_tenants
This is a useful fact sheet for notice periods, which can vary depending on length of tenancy and the reason the landlord is giving to evict you:
https://assets.ctfassets.net/6sqqfr...ial_Tenants.pdf

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

we have always been at war with etc

Independent*

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, you put all your dirty ones behind it so the police need a warrant from the queen to look at them.

Flags, but also the BBC logo apparently

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

crispix posted:

what would be your favourite olden days job for to do?

i think i would have liked to have been a milkman because old electric milk floats are just nifty

Have you just been reading the irrationally irritating movie moments thread too?

letthereberock posted:

Milk delivery was actually never really a thing. The whole “milk-man” myth was just a cover for super horny dudes banging other men’s wives.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

:golfclap:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We all know the word they'd like.

:drat:

TACD posted:

Extremely powerful normality radiating from this man

Linehan's descent into utter, utter madness is quite the thing. Surely even the Guardian commentariat must think this is just a straight up loving weird thing to do

[EDIT: 108 seconds is about how long it took Richarlison to score against Liverpool today, as Everton beat them at Anfield for the first time in 22 years.

EDIT 2: 108 is not the same thing as 180, as I now just realise]

Niric fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 20, 2021

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

crispix posted:

what's in that thing anyway

A big magnet

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

As if accusations of hypocrisy would ever slow the onrushing bulk of Johnson

Only small children can do that:

All things considered, it's probably a good idea to keep children out of reach of Tory MPs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I guess it would be gauche to buy my own BRCT?

Very tempted to change your red text to this instead