Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Green Nail Polish posted:

But the point of my post was that these "getting covid" cases are asymptomatic and don't even have enough virus for sequencing :eng99:

Bill Maher may have tested positive for SARS Covid-2 but he didn't really get covid 19. He's vaccinated and isn't feeling a thing.
You're confusing a tweet about the general case with what's actually happened to specific individuals. You are wrong that all of the yankees breakthrough cases are asymptomatic. One of the 8 had symptoms as of last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Okay but what you typed was that these cases are all asymptomatic. What happened was that some of them are symptomatic.

Eliminating all public health measures to Open Biden is disgustingly irresponsible in an environment where we're breeding a new variant every month and it was a decision made for economic reasons with only the thinnest veneer of scientific reasoning. Its a fragile policy that has the potential to backfire spectacularly and if you thought working retail was hell before this then lol you ain't seen nothing yet.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Peter Daou Zen posted:

there is no excuse, in the middle of August, in the United States of America, to not be vaccinated.

if you are not vaccinated by now, it is by choice.

other countries are still waiting to vaccinate their people, yet Americans who aren't vaccinated did so because they did not want one. you can walk into any pharmacy, anywhere, at anytime, and get one. literally everybody knows this by now.

no excuse.

This is only true when you assume that everyone has your access to the quality of information in this thread. If you're illiterate, if you're homeless, if you don't speak english, if you're afraid of ICE, got into bankruptcy before by seeking medical care, etc you might not have the same understanding.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

PhazonLink posted:

gently caress this guy, but why the gently caress are jail punishments so random.

like pedos and white terrorists get 1 week of time out and a 50$ bail.

but this guy gets 30 years and 10 000$ bail.

"Facing" = theoretical maximum but in reality they will fine him 500 bucks and give him a restraining order.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Whooping Crabs posted:

Same and I'm still going to get the booster the day it becomes available to me. Which is hopefully soon since I got my second jab in January.

There are hundreds of thousands of doses per month going down the drain in the USA so if you're American I would try asking around at a few pharmacies. Some care more than others and getting your arm between a dose and the trash can is good for everyone.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
cave syndrome

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Thank god its endemic now and everything can go back to normal. What I don't understand is why didn't they just make it go endemic earlier so we didn't have to go through all of this? I guess its a lesson for next time.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Endemic is a scientific word that means a tsunami of death and destruction depopulates your country to the point that you can't buy basic consumer goods at the store.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Rescue Toaster posted:

Except they were never competing with the general public, no? Hospitals were never going to buy out of the same supply chains as hardware & dept stores. As evidenced by that company that started mfg N95's in the US and then was told to gently caress off and no hospital would buy them even when they were making ER nurses use the same mask for a week.

They absolutely were competing with those supply chains because if you were a nurse you had to go buy your own n95s from the hardware store.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
"Personal risk calculation" is the act of picking one media source to believe over another as part of the culture war in america. Like, I watch Fox news and I've calculated that masks aren't worth the risk, or I follow Eric Ding and I calculated that I need to order groceries online.

It's not a calculation, it's telling someone that they're wrong because I can just feel it in my gut. The underlying mechanism is our relationship with a lovely media landscape replacing actual facts, which is fairness don't exist yet because a pandemic moves faster than consensus.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just put into the CVS website that your last dose was on the legit date but in 2020 and their computer system will let you make the appointment and then you just show up and aint nobody saying poo poo to you. If they do just be like "whoops huh...? What? Huh??" until they give you the shot anyway.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you compare an unvaccinated person living in 2019 and a vaccinated person living in 2022 the biggest risk to the vaccinated person is getting covid-19 anyway.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This sounds weirdly victim-blamey, fwiw.

The concept of victim blaming is pretty specific to sex crimes and this is diluting it a lot.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
People are trying to squeeze information out of those who get infected so that they can put together an impossibly complex puzzle that explains how they can protect themselves and their loved ones. I think its fair to say that you can imagine a forgivable context around why they're asking this stuff. Victim blaming is bad because it deflects blame away from criminals but the virus doesn't have agency, so its a bit different. Its a force of nature. We've been abandoned by the government and all we can do is look around desperately and try to assemble some kind of tool kit that lets us avoid becoming part of a pandemic statistic.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Lolie posted:

Understandable. Taking a "wait until there's more data" attitude towards Delta allowed it to rip through one unprepared country after another.

We're almost ready to act now though!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah there's lots of chatter but nothing concrete yet
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1463977571746516998

If you read this carefully you'll see that it may be less transmissible and the vaccines may be more effective.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

gay picnic defence posted:

I would add that even if the current vaccines are now obsolete we're maybe 100 days from having effective ones in production, and there have been antiviral drugs approved for use in the last few weeks/months. Omicron is almost certainly a setback but nothing like the initial emergence of covid classic.

100 days to manufacture the first dose and then how many months of trials? This is a misleading number if its used to suggest we'll have vaccines available to the public in 100 days.

Those anti-viral were tested against existing strains. They haven't been studied at all on omnicron and we already have evidence that monoclonals are likely to be impacted by the mutations it has. You have no evidence at all to make this claim that its not going to be as severe as the initial emergence of covid, which is a weird comparison anyway since the OG strain was quite mild in comparison to what we're dealing with today with delta. We should all pray omnicron is as deadly as OG covid.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Kaal posted:

Twitter does not deserve this desperate level of white-knighting.

We're driving a car towards a cliff and people are saying that we have to wait until we get measurements of the cliff before we slam the brakes. We need to run a physics model of the car's deformation when it impacts and weigh that against the brake wear we could cause. Maybe hitting the brakes isn't even going to work, shouldn't we find that out before we make too quick of a decision?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
A million Americans are dead in a year from a pandemic that is going stronger than ever and the most important thing we can find to discuss is who is currently at this moment "doomposting".

Guess what - the vaccines aren't very effective. I know because I've had 3 of them and its still not safe for me to go back to my past life, flying 4+ times a year and working in a cube farm with 500 other people. It's been 90 days since dose 3 and I'm already planning on a 4th dose in a few months.

Guess what - in practical terms you should still be 'hiding in your basement'. If you behave in a reasonably safe way that reduces your risk of getting covid to something comparable to your risk of getting in a car accident people will call you a hermit. Oh well!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Inept posted:

lol glad the thread is rapidly warping toward doom again

The vaccines are the single best thing you can do to protect yourself, but don't get fooled - life is not back to normal after you get one. I already know many 3-dose breakthroughs who have been very sick. Everyone hoped they would be enough to stop the pandemic but clearly that isn't the case.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Bad Purchase posted:

Kinda curious -- if you think the covid vaccine (particularly the mrna type) is not "very effective", what vaccines do you think are very effective? What is the threshold?

Right now, being vaccinated against covid lowers your risk of hospitalization and death by >10x compared to the unvaccinated. Here's a recent look that does a good job of splitting up the timeline into before and after delta sections:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7037e1.htm?s_cid=mm7037e1_w

There's a lot of hand-wringing about the vaccine not working well against the delta variant, and in the tables and charts at the end you can see that the vaccine is undeniably less effective against delta. But you're still 10x less likely to have a severe (hospitalized) case and 17x less likely to die from delta than an unvaccinated person if you're under age 64.

[...]

If we can't get high vax rates or do lockdowns, reaching the level of natural immunity required for true herd immunity will take at least 3-4 more years at the rate we've been going, and that's ignoring the possibility of waning immunity and variants.

I believe that the vaccines are currently the best tool that an individual has to protect themselves. I've had 3 of them, and I had a booster before 99.99% of people because I'm convinced that they're very beneficial and reduce your risk of dying from covid.

What is mediocre about them? They wear off after 4-5 months, with the original 2 dose pfizer/moderna offering 0% protection against infection by 6 months. That study you provided was from April to July - it couldn't observe this happening because the general public were finally getting vaccinated in April. They also provide partial protection. Right now in King County 38% of covid deaths during the last 30 days were fully vaccinated.

Its all relative of course. You could say "we didn't even know if it was possible to make a coronavirus vaccine in March 2020!" and yeah, by that metric the vaccines are great. But in terms of people going out to eat indoors, going to the gym again, getting on airplanes - the vaccine is not an excellent solution that supports those activities. In the context of imagining that you're safe from a new variant with 50 mutations on the spike, forget about it.

Everyone should go get vaccinated, not just twice, not just 3 times but probably every 5 months until the next generation of vaccines becomes available because - as a tool to stop the pandemic - these current vaccines aren't going to cut it. They're great in a context of reduce risk, but they are not great in a context of making the world exactly like it was in 2019.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Scarodactyl posted:

Where are you getting that number? The VA study had one dose of JnJ at near zeo, but pfizer and moderna were still around 50% against infection at 6 months.

gently caress if I know where I got, my rear end probably. Here is a Eric Ding tweet about it being 16% at 6 months, close enough.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1418669725404602370

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

tagesschau posted:

Post something to back this up, or admit it's just invented.

No, dig up.

Make me bitch I'll cut you

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm a Certified Film Buff (CFB).

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I think I cracked when he said maybe it was time to go out and actually get Covid

Yeah that was a pretty dark one. I had to point out to my dad who was excited about it that in most videos he reads studies line by line, but in that one he was reading a newpaper editorial in the same style. Very weird.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ShadowHawk posted:

It's a baseless claim, not "probably"

By way of comparison the last few pandemics were a couple of years.

For example influenza which nobody has heard of since.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hadlock posted:

Besides the fact that rawdog should either be raw dog, or rawdawg (common grammatical error) I'm not understanding why these two true statements got probated :confused:

In a follow up post he pointed out (rightly so) that n95/kn95 are widely available for cheap, so it's not some kind of classist statement. I bought a 20 pack of 3M n95 Aura masks on Amazon the other day for $20, arrived in 48 hours
Not everyone knows that "respirator" includes any mask designed to protect the wearer by filtering air, for example n95, kn94 etc.

Its true that surgical and cloth masks block ballistic droplets and protect others, but anyone trying to breath filtered air should have upgraded by now.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Facebook Aunt posted:

People claiming they can't breath with surgical masks are mostly being dramatic, but for anyone with lung issues breathing through an n95 can be a struggle. Yes people with lung issues are the ones who should avoid covid the hardest, but not everyone with asthma or COPD can stay home for 2+ years either.

IMO a good n95s is way easier to breath through than cloth masks. I can't stand cloth masks, they're super uncomfortable. If the only factor were comfort and breathability I would say out of my mask collection it goes powecom kn95 > aura n95 > hf-803 p100 > surgical > cloth.

I think its a huge issue that most people haven't had a chance to try out the variety of masks available and the only reason they're still using gaiters or hand-sewns is because they haven't had a chance to learn about them / try them. I got my parents a selection and the first comment they had was that they couldn't believe how much easier a better mask is to breath through.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

RFK Jr. posted:

Alright.

Omicron so far appears to be very mild

100% of the claims that omicron is mild is based on a single furry misquoting a doctor on twitter.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What is your opinion about cryptocurrency?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

dwarf74 posted:

tbh I'm surprised he gave up after a measly two re-regs. I guess his posting energy wasn't as strong as he thought.

"Its so weird, I usually have the energy to make hundreds of alt accounts, but lately I'm out of breath after 1 or 2"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

liz posted:

Thanks for all the advice re saying no to crowded restaurants and such… Hopefully people understand and/or I will learn to give less fucks 🤷‍♀️

How does this thread feel about restaurants? Are they risky for the average healthy person? I still feel like that only human I know that hasn’t done indoor dining since before the pandemic. Even my bf is now wanting to branch out and I’m over here like ‘but what about all those particles from strangers?’

Part of me would love to sit on a cozy corner of a cafe with my sketchbook, sipping coffee and spending hours trying to capture the world around me with watercolors but… all my brain thinks is, was it worth it? Still have yet to unlock that level!

The last restaurant I ate at was in February 2020 but I've been picking up orders from a few local places since I got vaccinated in March 2021, probably once a week. I don't think I'd have it in me to eat indoors with strangers.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Re: restaurants, everyone's risk tolerance is different, and it also depends on where you are. In Seattle there's lower spread and restaurants and bars and events are required to ask for proof of vaccination in King County so we feel like it's within our acceptable risk tolerance to eat inside occasionally.

Edit: both of us are vaccinated and boosted too.

Everyone's risk tolerance is different, and that's fair, but how do you measure risk? The phrase "risk calculation" comes up a lot, but I don't personally feel like I have any information about how risky it is. It's somewhere between 0 and 100% chance I get covid if I eat indoors is the best I can come up with.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Joe Roagn still loving it up for everyone, and who the gently caress is that doctor
https://twitter.com/MythinformedMKE/status/1470511566466523137?s=20

JR believed the moon landing was fake, and that children should smoke marijuana, among many many other stupid views. He has some interesting guests somtimes, sure, but why are people listening to him about public health (oh yeah he sells supplements too, which is apparently all you need to survive covid, buy his vitamins)

https://twitter.com/rajat_suresh/status/1464689466883379202

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah the health department in my state was giving those out for positive tests but they took days to do it and also never bothered to give them out to people presumed positive who didn't get tested (i.e., quarantining family members)

Leonardi is yet another one of those twitter bullshit artists capitalizing off the COVID audience

He and Ding are both consistently correct about everything that's happening and it makes people mad because they literally can't process the collapse happening around us. The twitter bullshit artists are the ones that told you omicron was going to be super mild.

edit; I wanted to make another post but I don't want to TRIPLE up so let me also say that lmfao if you got to this point in the pandemic and your first instinct is to say that the pessimists were the ones who were wrong

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

This guy measures CO2 levels in random places and apparently a movie theater is not good if you want to avoid breathing other people's poison lung gas

https://twitter.com/HuLeeYo/status/1471530541732274179?s=20

Less than 700ppm is recommended so....

No way home indeed, u heading to a hospital dude

I just did a little experiment where I used my breath to fill a plastic bag and then put my air quality monitor inside and sealed it. I got readings between 6500-7000ppm. I interpret this number as basically 1/3rd of what you're breathing in that situation has already been breathed in, and 2/3rds is "fresh" air.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

His main problem is that he screams and panics about everything so eventually everything is #BREAKING #DOOMFOREVER and becomes white noise

I'd like to say he's been on point for the whole of the pandemic but also there's probably tons of his tweets that didn't amount to much

and I'm not gonna make some stat analysis of how right he's been, but he does have a point that everyone seems really complacent about Omi being less dangerous and I'm like "Hmmm maybe we should make sure before I go see Spidermens"

It's really exhausting to live through a pandemic where every day there's mostly bad news and it drags on for multiple years. That doesn't mean that the news isn't bad.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

coelomate posted:

Devil's Advocate:

I've seen reputable sources say 90%+ of Omicron cases will be asymptomatic, hospitalizations and deaths have been massively lower in regions where Omicron came first and has burned through the population, and maybe most importantly: the news and holidays caused a surge in testing, even from people who were asymptomatic.

So yep, hockey stick case count, as expected. That's still logically consistent with an unironic "mild all good 8)"

Every one of these sources is based on a single doctor in SA being misquoted by an anthropomorphic pine martin on twitter.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Scarodactyl posted:

We're way past that.

Yeah we're way past the month of identical delta is mild and "where are the deaths?" takes from september. Fool me once...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

A bunch of people in my family [that don’t live with me] just tested positive in the last 3 days.

Most people with omicron got it in the last 3 days.