Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just bought the 64gb version. I am not afraid to open it up and upgrade the ssd, but I think I'll wait.

My main use case is streaming from PS5, playing all those roguelike/platformer/metroidvania games I own on stean but never really touched and maybe some Emulation of snes/wii.

From what I read here, a microsd card should be fine for these purposes, as emulation and smaller games don't need to be on the ssd, is that correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My deck arrives tomorrow,and I am eager to try it. Stupid question: For emulation purposes, how do I get the game roms onto the microsd?

As far as I understand, the format the deck uses is not compatible with windows.
What is everybody's preferred workaround/software for this?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Alright thanks. Not a stranger to FTP and command lines, though it has been a while. I just thought there might be an easier option I am overlooking but I'll work it out.

I also think I installed anydesk for my raspberry ages ago... I'll check if that still runs.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

barbecue at the folks posted:

I just use a USB drive, minimal hassle.

I feel dumb now.

Didn't even consider this because googling "how to transfer files to steam deck" gave me many different software based solutions without mentioning a usb drive.
So I came here and asked what software was best because I had neve heard of most of them.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My Steamdeck is here. Still have to work, so I charged it, booted it, updated steam and put it away again.

Of course not before I sniffed the vent...

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Suran37 posted:

How do you guys play FPS on this thing. I cannot aim without a mouse. I used to play CoD like 10-15 years ago on console but the minimal skill I had back then seems to be totally gone.

I am in the same boat (except for the CoD part) and honestly I just don't. Not on Deck, not on PS5. The experience is too frustrating for me. After 25+ years of mouse and keyboard I just can't adjust.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 1, 2023

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Macichne Leainig posted:

I don't even know what the Asus target market is. Like yeah there's plenty of people with more money than sense, but either you already know about the Steam Deck and have considered it, or you're technically apt enough to know that just throwing a bunch of specs into a handheld and saying "good luck" is not addressing any of the problems with the form factor

Dude, it has sick RGB on the back, where you will never see it! Self proclaimed capital g Gamers are gonna be all over this.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I really like this thing. Aside from playing steam games I set up Chiaki, which was easy enough, so now I can also stream from my PS5. Finally the PS+ library of claimed but never played games pays off. Haven't bothered with streaming from my gaming PC because I mostly play indies and smaller games on deck anyway.

Sadly, my old man eyes aren't the best anymore and things like games with a lof of text or fairly hectic games like Hades are a tad too small and finicky on the deck. But it is perfect for beat em ups, Pixel art games and a lot of metroidvanias/roguelikes etc that have a more zoomed in perspective.

Maybe I should get reading glasses finally.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Switch is, to this day, the perfect console. The Deck comes close, though.

Not if you like having functioning hands.

The Deck wins simply by not crippling your hands if you have normal adult hands. The switch has horrible ergonomics.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Heran Bago posted:

Checking in, what are y'all playing?

The Capcom Beat em up Collection or rogue legacy for short burst gaming. Yoku's Island Express if I have more time.

This weekend I will have load of time between stages of my lamb roast and stuff where I can't leave the house. So tonight I will start on Mario Galaxy 2.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

RandolphCarter posted:

Do I need a sudo password to install chiaki? Want to install that tomorrow.

No, you just download it and install it as a Steam game. There are easy guides out there. It was the 2nd thing I did on my dekc and it was very easy.

You do need your PSN ID in a special format though and there are several ways to get it. The how-to-videos usually offer a way.

I didn't want to do python stuff so I just googled it and there is some website you enter your account name into (only, not the password), it returns the correct value.

If you feel that's unsafe just create a new profile on your PS5 with a throwaway account dedicated to streaming and use that one.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Vampire Survivors and both of its DLCs are on sale.

:getin:

Serious question, is there a real game under the hype or is it just a simple time waster? Everybody is raving about it, but it looks like an extremely simple game of "run around and auto-attack stuff".

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I see, thanks. It is l not my kind of game then., but it's cool they are so successful with it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
FYI% Moonlighter is on Sale in Steam Germany, should be other regions, too.
The game is wonderful on Deck and I have put several hours into it. Costs you 3 € right now, a bit more if you want the DLC as well.

In this pixel art game you are a merchant who delves into randomized dungeons, kinda reminiscent of the Isaac-games, and kill monsters for loot. Then you sell said loot in your shop to make money and improve your store, upgrade weapons etc.
Ideal for shorter burst of gaming.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Suburban Dad posted:

I played through it on switch, it's a pretty fun game. I don't know that the dlc is worth it.

Me neither, I literally just bought the DLC with money from card sales, because it was 1.50 or something. But I figured I'd mention it because there is a "complete edition" and the individual DLC on sale as well. Could be good, or not, it adds another dungeon and armor set I believe.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You have to set a price and then watch the reaction. Gold coin face = too cheap, unhappy face = too expensive. Figuring it out is half the fun.

Also: item reactions for high demand items (up arrow on smileyface and fully green bar on Notebook page) won't save to your notebook.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Select an object in your inventory and press RT. It should open a page that shows you prices and reactions to them. This will always be the latest price that got the reaction, unless a product is extremely popular high or unpopular,theb reactions are not recorded in the notebook.

If you sell 1 of a product you get x reaction. Next time you put this product up for sale, the price is the one you sold it at. Adjust that accordingly and see what the next reaction is.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Mescal posted:

thanks to the person who recommended moonlighter im enjoying it. good chill game. your power ramps up HARD with an upgrade or two if anyones wondering.

Glad you enjoy it, I never played it much on my PC but am putting so may hours in on my deck.

Also I just discovered something about prices. In case you didn't know: If you find a new item and have no idea how to price it, press RT to open the item page of your notebook. Then scroll up and down in the column of items from that dungeon. At certain points there are price "thresholds". A line crosses the column and an amount is listed. Items below are worth less, items above more.
It only gives you a very rough idea, but it saved me from selling expensive items way underpriced.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

If Circle was supposed to be accept it should have been green and X should have been red for cancel.

Well, it should have been a checkmark, duh.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I unashamedly admit to occasionally smelling the vent to see if it still has that eau de steam going. Since I only play indies and emulation ganes, my deck stays cooler and the scent fades very slowly.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am looking for a follow up game to Moonlighter and Cult fo the Lamb is on sale.

Any opinion how that plays on Deck? And what is the gameplay like?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Also the hotter the deck, the more intense the vent smell!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you all use a case or skin on your deck? What about a screen protector?

Jsaux soft skin and jsaux matte screen protector.

I have the 64gb deck so the screen protector both protects from scratches and reduces glare. Since I applied it roght after booting my deck once to see if it worked, I can't say how it affects the image quality but from what I see colours are great, brightness is great, no complaints.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yep, just sent another message looking for an update, we're 72 hours in with no response. If they don't reach out I'm just going to reverse the charges on my credit card, I guess.

I never thought I would say this, but I miss phone support. I'd love to just call a number and have a solution, even if that solution is an RMA, in like 20 minutes flat.

Don't reverse your charge imho. You might nuke your ability to ever buy from them again.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah go figure the only real piece of leverage you have as a consumer is treated like the nuclear option by any business you use it on.

This. I have done a chargeback exactly once. A company that exclusively sold liquor and which I had never ordered from before failed to deliver for 8 weeks after stating a 2-3 day delivery time and ignored all my mail/phone contact attempts for several weeks.

I wasn't planning on ordering from them ever again anyway. These places are a dime a dozen, so not a big loss. Got my 20€ from Mastercard and never looked back.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

Basically all the big ISPs are trying to roll out data caps at this point, so it's probably more common now than it was when broadband first starting making real inroads. It's poo poo.

Seems to be a US thing though. It's all flatrate in Germany and as far as I know most other European countries as well, though I only know for sure about Sweden.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Started Cult of the Lamb yesterday. Runs great on deck, some fonts are really tiny though.
It is fun, but I suck at the management aspect. Cultists keep dying/disappearing and I can't seem to so anything against it as those options (prison) are still not unlocked.
It is not easy to find the balance between time spent fighting and time spent cultivating my followers.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Beastie posted:

Steam Case is loving great. I don't know how many cases for how many things I've bought over the last 20 years but Stream Case is amazing.

It's also at least 50€ they could have charged for it but didn't.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

Dumb question: how can I get rid of these black bars when I use Moonlight to stream my computer to my Deck?

I am not familiar with moonlight, but is your PC streaming at a 16:9 redolution? That causes black bars usually. If you can, try changing the streaming resolution to something that's 16:10.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

:wth:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

Get the 512gb one if you care about having the good screen or get the 64gb one and put a bigger SSD in it if you don’t

The 256gb one is for nobody

Or get the 64gb, a 512 GB/1TB microsd card and apply a Jsaux matte screen protector that costs 15€.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

Oh, also if you don’t buy the 512gb one you get the wrong coloured zip pulls and no blue dot or microfibre cloth, so everyone knows you bought one of the cheap baby ones instead of the big dick edition and you feel ashamed.

Ar least ain't nobody gonna steal what looks like the cheap deck, because they can't see your 2 TB aftermarket SSD.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Have you played Moonlighter? Base game is 2.99 and absolutely worth it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Picked up Dave, too. It is very chill and charming. I refuse to use electric harpoons though, their gimmick is a super rapid stick wobble and I don't want to kill my control stick.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Even better, There's a deck plug in called for How Long to Beat: https://steamdecklife.com/2022/10/29/how-long-to-beat-steam-deck-plugin/

You can also get that info on https://howlongtobeat.com/ if you don't want to use the plugin.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 3, 2023

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Froist posted:

What’s the other side to this? Why are people spending real money to buy these cards?

Same reason they go to unreasonable lengths to unlock achivevements that require hours and hours of grinding: Completionist brain, which imo is a form of OCD

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
One of my friends is in the CS go market big time. He has literally thousands of dollars worth of stuff. And refuses to convert it to money. Because it could be worth more tomorrow you see.

But in the end it is all a super clever scheme by valve. There is no way to get the money out of their ecosystem except to buy games for other people who then PayPal you the money they would have spent. But that only gets you so far. So you are stuck with virtual money that is only use able inside Valves store.

Of course you could cash out and buy a VR and stuff, which is what I would do, but broke brains stay broken.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Photex posted:

Are there any essential accessories for a new steam deck owner? I just picked up a 64gb version I'm guessing I should grab a 1tb nvme before I go too nuts?

Depends, if you mostly play indies and emulation just get a 1 TB microsd and thr jsaux matte screen protector. You won't need the NVMe.

If you want to play a lot AAA games yeah you will need a bigger SSD.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Insanite posted:

Got Dave the Diver. It owns and runs well on the Deck, which I guess was not the case earlier in its release.

It does regularly involve rapidly moving the left joystick L <-> R, though, which can be difficult depending on how I'm positioned and also makes me fear that I'm sapping life from the joystick prematurely.

Is there a good way to map a paddle button to do a sort of L <-> R turbo thing? I've found some community bindings that claim to do this (generally L->R turbo at 75-100), but they don't seem to work. :\

I asked the same thing and apparently there is a user control mapping you can install that puts the wiggle and rotate of the harpoons on the back buttons. I haven't had time to figure out how to find and install that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Macichne Leainig posted:

A file explorer that isn't complete dog poo poo...

I use both a Mac (for work) and a Windows PC and both have things going for them. But please tell me there is a hidden file explorer I am not aware of and you are not talking about the abomination they call the Finder.