Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
i read this whole thread in one sitting and then had a nap, and in my dream i was cycling and got so mad at cars i started gnashing my teeth, and they all fell out. thanks for reading and gently caress cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

the cowed, submissive posture on the first and last people is a nice touch

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Radirot posted:

that video series is so loving cool

reminds me of this classic:

https://www.ted.com/talks/james_howard_kunstler_the_ghastly_tragedy_of_the_suburbs?language=en

does the infrastructure bill even address any of that poo poo?

i hadn't seen this before but goddamn this came out nearly 18 years ago?!

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Radirot posted:

im an old millennial :corsair:

it was more a reaction of "drat this guy is spot-on and nobody learned poo poo over the past two decades. lol"

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

https://unevenearth.org/2018/08/the-social-ideology-of-the-motorcar/

a pretty cool essay from the 70s about how poo poo cars are, not sure if it belongs mroe here or the telsa thread. a couple of highlights:

very cool to read articles written from when my parents were teenagers that are absolutely correct and nobody learned anything from

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
the last time i ever drove was over ten years ago when i was helping a friend move, they didn't have their license so i was driving a u-haul and i was so scared of operating this enormous vehicle. i came to an intersection and was too busy looking for an opening in the car traffic that i didn't notice i was inching forward into the bike path and someone ran into me and chewed me out. i was so ashamed that i just stopped driving after that and now i am that cyclist, cursing at people who block the bike lanes

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

802.11weed posted:

0-60 should take 1 minute and it should be impossible to go any faster

same but km/h

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

oui... hon hon hon... OUI!

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Doc Hawkins posted:

no, I've seen these too, since i was a kid. they're open air malls: they have a central pedestrian avenue, with shops on both sides, and then parking in a ring outside of that. they're just not enclosed with a full roof. i assume you only can make them in certain climates.

you'd be surprised -- i live in montreal and the suburb across the river has one of these "lifestyle centres" that has been massively building up over the last ten+ years, no idea why anyone would want to go there during the third of the year where it's below freezing

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
the thing that made me maddest was the mass parking on the median, which is still illegal but nobody cares because where else are you going to park?

fuckin hell

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
there's also a 🚷 emoji, but no "cars prohibited" emoji

ridiculous

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

i'd say this is loving unbelievable but i'd be kidding myself

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Dog Case posted:

It's windy but the sun is out, i might go for a bike ride

same here, what I did is bike in the direction the wind was going and now I'm taking regional rail back. would recommend

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
as someone who bikes a lot on an old-school bike, ebikes are cool and make more people appreciate and demand better bicycle infrastructure. the majority of people i see on them are older folks who would likely be sitting around at home if not for this easy means of conveyance. also i rode an ebike up one of the big hills here and oh my god it was amazing

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

sat on my keys! posted:

i see a lot of parents with cargo e-bikes bringing multiple kids to school. seems better than driving until the kids are old enough to bike themselves.

the other day i was coming home on the bike path and a dad and his little kid overtook me on an ebike, and in the process the kid turned to me and said "hello! my bike is faster than yours!" and it was incredibly cute

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

PittTheElder posted:

:lol: $1.65/L? that's not even very expensive

if you convert USD to CAD it's 2.12/L which is basically what it is here in montréal

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Ardennes posted:

Montreal has fairly decent mass transit doesn't it? It has a metro and they are putting in a RER like system...it isn't like Cleveland or St.Louis etc.

yeah it's pretty decent for north america. my biggest complaints are the current regional rail is too commuter focused in its scheduling, and for some parts of the island the only mass transit is infrequent buses. the new light rail will alleviate some of that and I look forward to trying it out this fall (even if the first line will basically just connect the central station to a suburban shopping centre)

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Some guy nearly caused a crash at a left exit because he was pissy that I was leaving a car length between me and the car in front of me, and the highway I was heading to anyway was shut down because a tractor trailer crashed into a car and everything caught fire

Everything is so loving insane out here and I can’t drive ten minutes without seeing death wish level poo poo

I was cycling to the store earlier and the car in front of me pulled a hard right onto a one-way street going the wrong way. poo poo's hosed

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

unfortunately, this will happen regardless

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Horace posted:

i'm never getting on a ferry again. loving deathtraps

good to know i am basically immortal while riding a bicycle

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
all of this sounds very expensive to implement and maintain. may i propose simply banning cars

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
making cars safer for the occupants and deadlier for everyone else, a continuing saga

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

mawarannahr posted:

you have a point. video is the car of the internet and video brain has ruined all the loving websites. they tore out hypertext infrastructure to install video infrastructure and lied to justify it.

text is the walking of online, pictures are like bikes.

does this make GIFs e-bikes

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

:popeye:

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Suplex Liberace posted:

Had a beautiful bike ride today, everyone should have one by law.

me too biking buddy :hfive:

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

What a wonderful morning walking to the bike store to pick up my new bike and then riding it home!!

Bikes!

:cool: bike. this reminded me i should get a top tube bag

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lmao oregon even used this deranged line of thinking to pass a flat tax on bicycle sales that goes directly to roads (for cars) and people still say bikes dont pay their fair share

https://bikeportland.org/2017/07/06/its-official-oregon-now-has-a-15-bike-tax-233967

lmao this is so fuckin stupid

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

an actual frog posted:

sincere question to our american friends, not trying to do A Bit here, but how common are actually-stops-traffic-with-a-real-rear end-red-light crossings on roads like these, outside of 'intersections'?

not american, but i can think of only two intersections i've come across in the montréal area that are:

push the button: cars get a red, you get a walk signal

kind of things, and they're both in the suburbs.

there are several roundabouts where vehicular traffic "has to" yield to cyclists, and honestly i've never had problem there, but you can never take it for granted because otherwise you will be dead lol

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They're for breaking up sight lines in suburbia because infinite identical houses as far as your eyes can see fucks with your brain.

They're in the US, mostly the east I guess?

it's funny because bumbling into a development on my bike and getting lost in a maze of streets also fucks with my brain

and it doesn't even make it much less unnerving! see this exurb of montréal

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Smythe posted:

can’t hear the street over the enormous air conditioner my neighbors installed 3 feet from my window

this but it's my own A/C O_O

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

mystes posted:

if cars didn't exist it would be pretty hard for him to do that, just saying

it would be, but he wouldn't be

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Suplex Liberace posted:

Saw a car fly down a road that has been converted to a no cars road. Good thing there was nobody on it or it could have been bad.

sounds like you need some more bollards

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I passed this sign today which made me lol

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
they recently installed a stop sign and crosswalk at the end of my street where it crosses a two-lane road. the other day i was crossing in front of a bus that was stopped there, and as i did someone comes from behind the bus and passes it going into the other lane of traffic and is clearly not going to stop. thankfully i was almost to the other side but so loving infuriating

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

say something mean about electric cars, no matter how heavily qualified, and get dogpiled by people on that sub talking about how awesome they are. Not "yes they suck, but are an improvement on ICE cars", but rather, "anything negative about EVs is a lie, here's a link to a study commissioned by Tesla to prove that". Not saying those people are a majority on that sub, but there's enough of them that it is very annoying.

this is one of the top posts from this past week, and the comments are very much in favour of the premise of the tweet

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Clark Nova posted:

I bet those last like five miles max before they have to be thrown away completely

i would simply use them to launch off a ramp into a lake and leave them at the bottom

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

SimonSays posted:

A small town near here is terminally car-brained, which I have experience with from riding through regularly, and some rear end in a top hat called CPS on a mother who carries her kids in a cargo bike.

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/2022-06-20/signalee-a-la-dpj-a-cause-de-son-velo-cargo.php

Happily CPS did not move forward with any action.

oh yeah i biked to Granby last year and the city centre is a nightmare to bike in or find parking. i think on the streets i saw one other person biking the whole time. i'm thankful the zoo had some bike racks but i passed through so much forgettable cookie cutter suburbia on the way from the hotel

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
pennies stink and i'm glad my country got rid of them years ago

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
i buy a huge rack of ribs and just carry it around, flintstones style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
the whole article is obviously absurd but one thing that stuck out to me was:

quote:

...there’s still no feeling quite like the moment when the snarls of traffic and the dense-packed buildings fall away and you enter space that feels unmanaged, unscrutinized, independent and anonymous, with roads leading almost anywhere, north, south and west.

like yeah, maybe it could feel great when there aren't other people around... but you spend so little time in that environment? the average american is only going to encounter that maybe once or twice a year when they go on road trip vacation somewhere. your day-to-day life is so dependent on this machine whose only "virtue" is, by the author's own contention, only suited to the rare moments of leisure allowed to you