Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Irradiation posted:

Also clean and lubricate your chain.

With wax. :evilbuddy:

It’s a godsend in dusty conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
All bikes are good good bikes.

Belt drive pro/con list isn’t remotely attractive for my situation though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Groda posted:

There are plenty of bad bikes.

You have reminded me that Adolf Hitler was a bicycle messenger.

Those were some bad bikes.

e: also these

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 12:48 on Aug 22, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

evil_bunnY posted:

There's a reason they call Aluminum congealed electricity

"a recent study calculated the lifecycle emissions of a carbon fiber electric cargo cycle to be 80 gCO2 per kilometer – only half those of an electric van (158 gCO2/km)" lol who the gently caress rides, let alone makes a CFC cargo bike?

Whining about ebikes is also hilarious, when making one emits about as much co2 an american car puts out in 3 weeks.

People who write articles about thermal windmills, that’s who.

Real hurthling! posted:

a kid where i teach built an all bamboo bike as a sustainability project and even rode it to school every day with regular tires on it and they had him meet obama during a potus visit and obama made fun of the bike and told him to focus on more practical inventions for our nations future. no lie.

Rookie mistake.

Next time get arrested for tinkering.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://v.redd.it/kii7ig9j9y391/DASH_1080.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Weembles posted:

There is nothing worse than being out on a hike and coming across a horse.

"Put down your hiking stick - you'll startle the horse!"

"Get off the trail or you'll startle the horse!"

"Make yourself visible or you'll startle the horse!"

"Talk to the horse or it'll think you're a mountain lion and you'll startle the horse!"

"Don't talk too loud or you'll startle the horse!"

People think the Freckles line was a joke but it's undersells how annoying those things can be. Or at least how annoying their riders can be.

On time I made the mistake of standing too close to a tree.

This startles the horse.

As long as they don’t have an illegal back pocket ice cream cone, which lures the horse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN54oOMVrXQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSkwY9EuP5E

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hailthefish posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mystes posted:

Philadelphia has solved the problem of not having enough bus drivers because they aren't paying enough, and you'll be very happy to know that the solution is in fact to pay people!

https://whyy.org/articles/philly-school-bus-driver-shortage-parent-flate-rate-program/

Lol they're paying parents to drive their own kids

Watch them throw minority parents in jail for fraud because their kid biked to school.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bicycle tires are unreasonably expensive.

They’re made to worse tolerances in smaller moulds with way less material. They shouldn’t cost like half a much as a car tire.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 12:41 on Aug 29, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dog Case posted:

There are lots of cheap bike tires, they're just heavy and won't look nice or be from a company a rando will recognize.

A lot of the nice expensive stuff (for road bikes and mountain bikes at least) is literally the same stuff they use for professional racing. Car brained comparison, it's like buying Goodyear racing slicks for your Corolla and then complaining that they're expensive and don't last long

There are a ton of affordable options for car tires with more grip in cold/wet/loose conditions, tires with lower rolling resistance, and tires that don’t puncture when they encounter the slightest bit of debris.

If you want any of those things on a bike, you have to pay the big bucks. Bike tire manufacturers have for the most part eliminated the middle of the market.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The most damning indictment of cycling in the Anglosphere is that people watch that one video about the Dutch grannybike and decide to pay a thousand dollars for one even though they live in Seattle.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sillyloquy posted:

Here it is in the natural "hauling my poo poo around" configuration:

Always ready for tennis

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a moral imperative to infiltrate the national park through its undefended border.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://v.redd.it/ktk52zmj9blb1/DASH_1080.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spacemang_spliff posted:

I was able to keep an average speed of 10mph which isn't too bad I don't think although I'm still terribly out of shape but riding frequently will fix that.

Yeah ten miles per hour is fine for a start, and you’ll see big stamina gains in days and weeks.

spacemang_spliff posted:

do people buy mirrors for bikes, I felt naked without being able to see behind me without turning my head

They do.

Radar and cameras are expensive modern alternatives.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

Internal gears have a huge advantage in that you can put a little cage around the chain so your loose pants don't get caught. Commuters care about this.

Put a guard on the outside of the chain ring and you won’t have this problem.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why not use the trains to get people out? (self.BurningMan)

quote:

Disclaimer: I'm from far away, from Ireland, and don't understand American conditions well… but since there's an old station on the Western Pacific Railroad line at Trego Hot Springs 6km away, wouldn't it be possible for the people who run the festival to negotiate with the railroads and get people out, starting with anyone sick or fragile - in freight trains if necessary?

🤣

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Regarding overheating hub brakes,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKwTKeLCs7A&t=113s

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'd like to see their style guide because that article reads like the car kidnapped and murdered him

The car kidnapped and murdered society.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol the ex-cop who pistol-whipped and drew a gun on a cyclist after trying to run him over got the incredible penalty of... a two-year driver's license suspension

It ought to be a probation where he’s forbidden from riding in a car as a passenger and from taking public transit.

If he wants to get somewhere, he’d have to walk or bike.

And ban him from owning a gun for life, obviously.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stereotype posted:

if you like biking around without having to worry about cars, you should go to burning man. black rock city is most cyclist friendly city i've ever been to.

I prefer cities where the cycle paths are not quicksand.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oh O.K..

I prefer cities where the cycle paths are usable after rain.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Spraying my tarps with PFOS PFBS to own the leftists.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You can just say that you like flying across the Pacific Ocean to meet strangers, do drugs with them, and gently caress in the desert.

You don’t have to spin it as a radical leftist action.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would laugh at sports fans if they came to this thread and talked about the refreshing walkable environment of Dodgers Stadium.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stereotype posted:

there should be more week long sports games

There are more than enough cricket matches already.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKqp8nAIsYE

It’s O.K. that people abandon thousands of bicycles in the desert because the help will pick them up and ship them overseas to orphans. :shobon:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dang I didn’t know that you were hard of hearing.

Noise pollution dismissal ITT making morse sense now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8UJz2hVCMM

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 05:00 on Sep 12, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are at least twelve bikes in the first video, not including the one that the person in the background is holding, because we don’t know if that is their own bike or one picked up on the playa.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I thought that maybe the guy was overestimating or perhaps rounding slightly with “thousands”.

Oh no.

In 2018,

https://www.facebook.com/BlackRockC...97199046978424/ posted:

The numbers are in! We collected and donated 1,805 abandoned bikes this year, which is approximately half the amount we processed last year. All bikes have been donated to charitable organizations that are using these bikes for community-oriented programs. Huge thanks to Burning Man's Comms team, Jack Rabbit Speaks, the many bike camps on playa, and, of course, the Yellow Bike Crew, who all came together to make this a very smooth clean up effort. (Vidoe source: Moon Mandel)

The year before,

https://journal.burningman.org/2017/10/black-rock-city/leaving-no-trace/how-we-solved-the-great-bikeageddon-of-2017/ posted:

This year, 3,754 bikes were abandoned by participants with no regard for the principles of being a Black Rock City citizen. People either dropped the bikes carelessly, or they left them unlocked to be stolen and abandoned. This created tons of work for other Burners just like them, who spent days cleaning them up and getting them hauled off playa. We’re sharing this story of how they pulled it off so Burners can realize the impact of their actions on their fellow participants, plan accordingly, and pack out everything they bring — including bikes.

[…]

A conservative (and astounding) 3,754 bikes were gathered during this process, beginning the evening of Monday (September 4) through the following Monday (September 11). To put this in perspective, the number of abandoned bikes we’ve cleaned up over the past several years has ranged from ~1,400–1,900. This dramatic spike in numbers was unexpected to say the least, and combined with the community fleet clean up effort, >4,500 bikes were gathered and processed in this single week.

[…]

By Monday, September 11, we’d maxed out the capacity of the nonprofits we’ve historically worked with, and still had a staggering number (>1,500) of bikes left on site, all of which needed to be removed by end of day Wednesday, September 13. In the five years I’ve managed this project, we’ve never sent a single usable bike to a scrapper or landfill, which was the final destination for these bikes unless a miracle should occur within 48 hours.

Sure enough, several small miracles occurred. DPW friends activated their networks and reached out to local contacts, resulting in a steady stream of trucks and trailers that arrived on site to help. Bikes were scooped en masse, destined for the Paiute Reservation, local neighborhoods, hurricane disaster relief in Texas and the Caribbean, and communities in Gambia, West Africa, again, to name only a few. By the time the final scrapper came at noon on Wednesday, we had a meager pile of three partial bike frames and four wheels, all of which appeared to have been run over by vehicles and were well beyond the point of repair.

During this madness, I met many amazing individuals who spent personal funds and energy to get keep this staggering resource from the landfill. I was humbled by the participation and immediacy of this communal effort, all in the name of civic responsibility and leaving no trace. It was an impromptu spectacle that seemed to display all of Burning Man’s principles in action.

I’m glad that they were able to pull off a miracle in 2017, but it’s certainly going to take a larger one this year. 2017 didn’t have any of this year’s weather issues.

It’s impressive that fully one in twenty people who attended the event both brought a bike and abandoned it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I am calling on the World Bollard Association to disavow.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Rare “gotta hand it to cars” here.

https://twitter.com/AFCraig02/status/1701659603514093712
https://twitter.com/AFCraig02/status/1702010654951969129

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

withak posted:

I drove to work today because I had to transport a 40lb chunk of steel from home to the office.

Skill issue.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mister Speaker posted:

This story still makes me so mad. If someone greased one of my loved ones with their car and got off with a slap on the wrist like that, I would never ever let them live it down, just make sure they are absolutely miserable. Tbh I'd probably get in some trouble myself for how I'd go about that.

I wouldn’t convict.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Sharps posted:

the architect has 36 cars (noting that the architects dad has 1,800, wow!)

a new car every fortnight for life

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I love it when this happens inside the building where I live used to live.

https://i.imgur.com/A6ReneE.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gunshow Poophole posted:

you could totally do this, but i imagine it'd be using about as much energy as the entire rest of whatever ride you just took. h ope you left some gas in the tank!

Going up thirty floors is only like four hundred and twenty (:2bong:) feet of climbing. It’s a lot of stairs, but not a lot of elevation change for a ride.

You also have to lift whatever elevator structure there is though, so it’s going to be like climbing with loaded bike.