Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Went on a short ride down the bike path near my house at the beginning of a snowstorm last night to pick up some take out in town. I am usually too much of a wuss to ride at night around here because the area is so car dependent, but i got about $500 of lighting and winter gear last season and I've been feeling more confident riding at night. I have gotten more afraid of riding the past few years and less hype to hop on the bike and ride, either because I am less fearless than when I was 25 and riding all the time or because I'm acutely more aware of the horrible statistics about pedestrian deaths post-lockdown. I get the occasional dick bag honking/yelling gibberish but I am coming to take that as a sign of good luck, it means all the lighting is working. Anyway studded tires and 2000 lumen headlights are bad as*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

larper
Apr 9, 2019
In new mexico the speed limits are high already and people drive like they just took a giant hit of meth. I never once did a ride on main roads out there, just too scary

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Cat Puke posted:

Wouldn't be the first time given what we now know about leaded gasoline.

The story of the guy who invented that stuff is a hoot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

not me, I'd love a lil pickup truck for work. I rent the HD trucks on occasion and they're huge and a colossal headache to drive. Test driving one of those and saying "yes I'd like this truck" means you are hosed in the head

I love my 04 ranger. It gets about 25 mpg, fits 3 bicycles in the bed, and has almost no blind spot. The 2 seater cab is kind of a drawback but it's no wonder these things are going for such crazy money on the used market.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
My town is overhauling a street to add bike lanes and remove parking on one side and the qq tears are already epic

larper
Apr 9, 2019

vyelkin posted:

remind me again how tall your average human child is

Lol that they made the whole grille a headlight

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Smythe posted:

no wonder teslas are so quiet :newlol:

:thurman:

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Great 2 hour drive back and forth between home over easter, went perfectly fine except for every single driver being being in a bloated SUV or a truck with a blue line sticker and RetinAssault 120,000 Lumen LED headlights, and also from Massachusetts

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Buhhh. Gotta go fast so I can get back to the cul desack so I can get to my spreadsheets job early to pay off my 17% APR truck

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Just did ~200 miles from Western MA to NYC on my bike and the suburb people every mile of the way on numbered roads were completely psychotic. Anything connecting a suburb to a walmart, no matter how rural it seemed, had at least 25% of the drivers acting like reckless assholes. It didn't matter if I was all the way over on the shoulder (which was never more than 18 inches wide) or a few feet into the road for maximum visibility, sometimes 4 or 5 cars would pass from about 3 feet at 50-60mph all at the same time because they were tailgating one another. Absolutely loving terrifying. I don't think I will ever do a bike tour that goes along numbered roads again. I don't care if it takes twice as long and only goes on dirt, it was a miserable experience. The last time I did this was in 2015 and mostly avoided those kinds of roads and it was a lot easier. The next long ride will go directly north into Vermont because it seems like anything 100 miles inland is totally infested with drivers like this.

Once I got to the rail trails I was able to do 30 miles more riding each day, easily, because I wasn't experiencing constant spikes in my heart rate from getting buzzed by some rear end in a top hat in a rush to get their amazon packages.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
And of course the most I typically ever saw in the bed of a giant pick up truck was a single 2x4

larper
Apr 9, 2019

actionjackson posted:

bad: filled up ten gallons at 5.19/gallon

good: it was on my way to pick up this single speed bike off craigslist

cool looking whip. get a different stem though, adjustables look like poo poo

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I quit riding on roads here, period, when we had to take a bypass road around the Montour Trail and two people actively tried to run us over and screamed poo poo at us in the course of twenty minutes. One of them, a Jeep driver (always a Jeep driver) flew up behind my wife at top speed, slammed the brakes a few feet from her, and leaned on the horn. Had my wife been startled and fallen she'd have certainly been run over.

Sorry that happened to your wife, that driver deserves to suck lead. That poo poo can be so demoralizing and discouraging from riding. When I get that I pull over and take some deep breaths with the 4-7-8 method.My girlfriend is just getting started riding and I'm afraid to bring her on main roads because even people honking seems to really put her into a panic.

Nothing that bad happened on my ride thankfully. I have heard the driver culture in pittsburgh is extremely toxic though. The jeep (4x4 ones) drivers were actually surprisingly courteous out here, I had no problems with them. The most common knuckle dragging r*tard car was a black jeep liberty, or the bloated midsize amerikkkan SUV type car in general.

The funniest part of the trip was in a parking lot in some poo poo towne in NY near white plains. I was turning right in the lot, and some guy in a cop tint bulldozer turning left floored it to try to get in front of me, jammed on his brakes, then yelled "you need to learn how to drive that thing better" out of his window lol. He parked in the fire lane in front of some shop and left his truck idling. I gave him the finger on my way out of the lot and said "gently caress off mate" and he clearly wanted so badly to get into it with me, but was too pussy to actually get out of the truck, so I rode off on my way. Luckily it was rail trail from that town onward so it was easy to forget about the experience.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

mystes posted:

who gives a poo poo

You clearly have not spent enough time on FGG to be riding a single speed. That bike is wasted on you

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Nobody ever believes me when I talk about the CAFE requirements. gently caress obama

larper
Apr 9, 2019

nah, people said that here in Pittsburgh.

Someone in the phiz discord said that pittsburgh is the most pedestrian hostile city they've ever lived in and I can believe it. I went to the incline there and was astonished at how terrible West Carson & Smithfield was. So many things to trip over, hosed sidewalks, people not even stopping for the walk signal. You could hear cars bottoming out constantly as they blew through it at 40+. All in an intersection that serves one of the bigger tourist attractions in the city

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Despite my choosing the bicycle for its peaceful, regenerative qualities these stories of cyclists lighting drivers' asses up still warm my heart

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/Houston-cyclist-shoots-driver-road-rage-incident-16295676.php

https://www.granfondoguide.com/Contents/Index/5544/female-detroit-cyclist-guns-down-armed-driver-in-road-rage-attack

larper
Apr 9, 2019

There are people on the news every day for months here now crying about how it costs so much to fill their trucks that they can't buy potato chips anymore. It's awesome, I love it, it makes me happy to see these people suffer and I have zero moral compunctions about laughing at them.

Please post them so I don't have to read this dumb rear end malarkey about highways in bolivia

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Ain't just suburbs either. There's a bicycle trail that runs from here to Weirton, WV. First time I rode out there I wanted to hop off the end of the trail and visit Tudor's Biscuit World, a West Virginia Institution.

Whoops, can't do it even though Tudor's is less than 600 feet from the end of the trail because they never bothered to build a foot bridge over that creek. You have to go back a bit and ride ~2.1 miles over West Virginia highway to get there.

In the five years since they haven't bothered finishing a pedestrian route across that stream.

I bet you can sneak through that train yard, there's what looks like a car bridge into it.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

an actual frog posted:

sincere question to our american friends, not trying to do A Bit here, but how common are actually-stops-traffic-with-a-real-rear end-red-light crossings on roads like these, outside of 'intersections'?

Where I live in Western Mass we have a rail trail system with about 25 miles of paths. There are two red light pedestrian crossings in the entire thing. In some parts they have signs telling you to dismount to pass because of a loophole in state law that lets you hit cyclists in crosswalks liability-free.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Blockade posted:

anyone know a solution to this?

What a loving pussy, look how immaculately organized it is lol. my pickup's bed is filled with a bunch of logs, leaves and random trash. My favorite is when i'm on the highway and something in there blows out and hits a tailgater

larper
Apr 9, 2019

mystes posted:

Hmm... You drive a truck but you also seem to be doing a good job taking out other cars so I guess that's something.

I'm sure it will be made quick / i get to choose my place in line etc but I really do drive the thing about once every 2 weeks. the last time was to pick up a huge chaise couch last week. It's an 04 ranger and the bed is roughly the same size as these infantile bro-dozers everywhere. I like that it has pretty small blind spots and almost fully panoramic visibility from the cab

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Bobstar posted:

E: I love being overtaken or kept up with by older people on e-bikes, while I'm lycra-ing on the bike paths (as is the rule here in NL). My late-60s neighbours have all bought e-bikes to extend their range and/or keep cycling for as long as possible.

I like that more people are biking. I dislike that ebike riders overwhelmingly have zero sense of etiquette because they didn't ride a bike between age 17 and 50+ and don't get that being overtaken at 25mph on an incline without warning is stressful

the far end of the spectrum is the new coastal bike paths in manhattan... complete chaos

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Oh yeah also a cute octogenarian couple got creamed by a driver in my previous town of Easthampton MA and I had to leave the town facebook groups because of the sheer inhumanity of the comments and you can't tell these people they are loving idiots without the fb algorithm burying your post.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Weembles posted:

Maybe it's a regional thing, but most of the ebikers I've come across have been just fine.

I think it's too easy to end up like the people who cry about lycra every thread and let confirmation bias lead us to making an enemy of people we should be building solidarity with.

me to the spandex haters

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Even the worst cyclist is probably still better than the average motorist

absolutely true

larper
Apr 9, 2019

I need to stop hate clicking these links because it just brings me back to all the Dumb poo poo I did to dickhead drivers that is even worse than these videos

larper
Apr 9, 2019
i hate car

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Think I wanna get rid of my truck and get an ebike with illegal modifications to make it go 60mph

larper
Apr 9, 2019

20 Blunts posted:

there are plenty of places with nice big trees right on the road in the US...but yeah in the past couple decades more and more get hosed up as they widen things.

On the rail trail that I commute to both of my jobs it has always felt at least 10 degrees cooler during the summer because of all the tree cover. I don't usually start sweating until I get off of it

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Blackhawk posted:

Another car free day, checked out a new pedestrian and cycling bridge that just opened (which is awesome but I don't actually ride over it for my commute).

Something about my velomobile really does short-circuit carbrain, because I get almost universal positive reactions from drivers when I'm in it vs. when I'm on a normal bicycle where cars either pretend to not see me or intentionally try to run me over for sport. I don't know if they think I'm disabled, or if they think it's actually a car of some kind.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
going out to ride my normal bicycle to the doctors today. i finally used my Specialized Pizza Rack for its ostensible purpose on over the weekend

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Suplex Liberace posted:

I had a great one today! And yesterday infact

hell yea

larper
Apr 9, 2019
I have heard it but in the context of fast food only. In my last town there's a new starbucks going in, this was the chief complaint on the town facebook group. It's a fair complaint because there's no crosswalks within 500 feet of the location, and a cute old couple got creamed by a driver there last month. most supporters of the new starbucks said the expanded tax base might help support town infrastructure which is at least ostensibly true. there was some complete numbskull citing the traffic study as a reason it wouldn't affect traffic (which was a worthless NHTS estimate only) but that was it

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Jestery posted:

Had a good ride the other day

My sister in law is wanting to modeshift her grocery shopping

So I found a $25 second hand cruiser. Rode 10 km to pick it up, then rode 10km doubling the purchased bike and have spent the last week doing it up

New tyres and grease, a quick clean of the chain and gears and it rides like a dream

I added the trunk in the back, I have the same system on my bike and it's been great for groceries for the last year

Bicycle advocacy!

classy whip... wish i had a step through frame so i could ride in pretty dresses

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Nitevision posted:

Time's up. I'm releasing the materials

lol

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Previa_fun posted:

Yall are the biggest dorks on the whole forum. I'm gonna find where you live and do smoky burnouts up and down your street.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

larper
Apr 9, 2019

this feels like one of those allegory things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Just in case you're wondering who's buying those giant pickup trucks, it's people with average household incomes of around $72-88K a year.
https://hedgescompany.com/blog/2018/10/pickup-truck-owner-demographics/

(I suspect they're using averages because the medians are worse)

The pickup truck crowd is a bunch of people making slightly more than the household median and they're spending a massive chunk of their income on prestige vehicles to project their success. lmao

No poo poo lol