Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

*sniff* ah that new thread smell...wait i can't smell anything?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Moderna works and doesn't show the same degradation of function over time that Pfizer does, correct?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Judakel posted:

I have to wait until january lmao

Vax Populi doesn't though.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Steve Yun posted:

SO FAR. Pfizer has been around longer. We might see a droop in Moderna efficacy once it’s been around as long.

But for now we’re hoping it has staying power.

He have theories that it’s because it has 3x the volume or because the doses are spaced 4 weeks instead of 3 weeks, but who knows for now

Oh yeah absolutely still getting my booster sooner rather than later just curious if Pfizer's "you'll probably need a booster" talk from a while back was them specific. Sounds like it is so far.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. I'm not sure I want to imply that other vaccines don't work

2. The studies that have been cited that demonstrate waning effectivity of vaccines over time, for all of their flaws and caveats, do indicate that Moderna does not wane nearly as much, yes.

I didn't mean to imply the other vaccines don't work, apologies. Second part seems like the kind of knowledge it would be good to broadcast as widely as possible. Mostly I just wanted to make sure my own understanding of the situation wasn't off-base.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Platystemon posted:

It owns that the draw of brunch is greater than the cinema’s. I can only imagine that the logic is “well I can see a movie at home, but you know what I can’t do? Eat.”

Also loling at the infectious disease experts who would eat at a restaurant while masked, somehow.

Amusingly, the D&D approved answer to this question is now “Moderna crew will need a booster because Joseph Robinette Biden (pbuh) did not make a distinction between the vaccines”.

tbf i'm Moderna'd up and getting a booster regardless so far be it from me to discourage anyone who wants more slut juice

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I haven't gone to a restaurant since March of 2020, I no longer give a gently caress about any of that and I'll never eat out again like I used to do all the time. I openly look down on the loving morons who are risking their lives for that garbage.

It was never about the food; eating out is about reinforcing your place in America's caste system as the served, not the server.

nah, it doesn't have to be
some people are scum, doesn't mean eating out is a caste system
nobody is born into the waiter caste

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Forseti posted:

:stare:

gently caress capitalism

In general the last X amount of time a person is alive (X varies but can be years) doesn't reveal who they really are or anything else, it's just a desperate scrabbling at the walls as mortality closes in. Getting mad at someone you've loved for decades as they're dying because they're not dying the way you wanted them to is dumb as hell.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

skewetoo posted:

Never worked retail?

It's not a caste system. Your parents working at Sears (well, when they still existed) doesn't mean you will.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

skewetoo posted:

I don't think there is any social mobility. I'm first gen in Canada and it's very clear that jobs in the labor aristocracy and above are closed off to me

I don't know enough about Canada to disagree. There are meaningful differences between the states and Canada though. Are trades an option?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

skewetoo posted:

Need a north american caste system thread :clint:

I would participate enthusiastically.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

osprey posted:

good advice that I want for later

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Platystemon posted:

I don’t understand why the software has trouble with long threads.

It only has to display one page at a time. There shouldn’t be a dependence on what’s on on every other page.

You can force the forums to display every post in a thread at once. Presumably that's as unhealthy for the forums as it is for your computer because of Radium.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Thoguh posted:

We had this exact same conversation last summer in the COVID thread driven by the exact same posters that consider any type of situation where you purchase a service to be "renting a servant".

What an odd take. Seems demeaning almost? People in the various service industries aren't servants.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

:hmmyes::guillotine:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cup Runneth Over posted:

unless you can explain confidently why this is the case (not just link to preliminary studies suggesting it), I think you would be incredibly stupid to assume Moderna is just magically better than Pfizer and doesn't need a booster

I'm getting a booster. I appreciate the concern though.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mr Hootington posted:

Glenn is normally very right...

Outside of the Glenn thread people will ask you to substantiate this, best of luck.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ornery and Hornery posted:

KIRKLAND SIGNATURE

it’s wild how guilty I felt lying to Costco :smith:

You lied to Costco?! One thousand days shall ye spend without a sample. pbuc

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

etalian posted:

Going for Moderna booster dose this week, I'll be sure to read the latest Gamefaqs guide before heading out.

If you crouch-jump right as you're getting the jab you can glitch out the level and skip straight to the funeral. Pro-tip for any speedruns.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

meet girls at the store posted:

What the gently caress? Thats like 1/14 of a large dog’s entire lifespan. Imagine moving to a new country and having to quarantine for like 4 years first.

Don't bring your lovely invasive species somewhere it's not wanted.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Isentropy posted:

semi related - what do you think got the gravity of the situation across to Americans?

like I'm thinking the NBA stopping did a lot more to get people to realize this wasn't going to be like Ebola or SARS-1

If you had family in China or Italy you knew, but outside of that...

Outside of these threads for a lot of people it took until the first shutdown where retail just went poof overnight.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I don't get people who are antivaxx under the assumption that the vaccine is designed to do something bad to the people who get it. If you're a shadowy cabal looking to reduce global population aren't the people who just do whatever you tell them to do the people you'd want to survive? Especially when the people who refuse the shot are all clearly strong independent survivors, the exact opposite of who you'd want to live through your global cull.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

inferis posted:

politicians are so relieved that people are mad at their class allies instead of the people who could stop this

antivaxxers are not class allies
seriously, feel free to go build solidarity with them, best of luck

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

External Organs posted:

Is this the thread for whining about feeling like poo poo after Pfizer 3?

Should've switched to Moderna, Pfizer is poo poo.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

*lube and poppers CMON straights

don't tell them the secrets

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

It really couldn't. Short of troops in the streets enforcing the laws Americans have embraced Covid (and dying of it).

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mr Hootington posted:

We are going to kill another million people and not even blink lmao

They died free, and that's really obviously all Americans care about.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Moderna vaccine is more efficacious than the Pfizer vaccine and if someone has the choice they should get the Moderna vaccine. Does that sound accurate to people itt?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Regarding the ivermectin this is just Mike Pence's plan working itself out. By making the people who vote for him a little more horse-like he might be able to bear skin to skin contact with them for just a little longer, making all those handshakes he has to do slightly less intolerable.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Good. That's what the VP is for.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Asproigerosis posted:

Wtf is pressured speech

Reading from a script while they've got your family just off screen.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

SKULL.GIF posted:

I pinged like a decade ago, been doing pretty well

It's actually really loving interesting to me watching the discourse abruptly shift the past 10 days from "lol, gently caress these control freaks" to ":qq: WHY WON'T THEY CARE :qq: THAT WE'RE DYING??? :qq:" I think we're rapidly approaching a pivot point here

lol, they're just going to keep blaming the nurses as they get ventilated
there's no pity left for the willfully unvaxxed and they hate it

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Atrocious Joe posted:

it's extremely funny that pharma companies have been saying for months that they plan to profit from "endemic" COVID
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pfizer-covid-vaccine-price-hike-post-pandemic/

that's from march

Pfizer vax being so much worse than Moderna vax but only the Pfizer vax being cleared by the FDA is some bullshit.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Truniht posted:

knowing how his brain works he would’ve thought horse paste was actually horse paste and would’ve had all the antivaxxers here in Colorado and Wyoming shooting down herds for supply surplus

Pence would've immediately Article 25'd him.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Anyone got any lockdown birthday ideas for the wife? This is her second lockdown birthday, also celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary in lockdown. :( I have no idea what to do.

Go to the ocean and throw yourself in. Or recreate the experience with a bucket of salt water.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

jisforjosh posted:

My brain parsed that as he was eating out a guy

his fault for not having the comma tbh

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Goatse Master posted:

So if you take your vaccine card to a clinic for the 3rd shot, will they care if you're switching from Pfizer to Moderna?

Asking ahead since I just got my second dose this week and I assume I should probably wait a few months before getting a booster

they will wink at you while saying 'there's really no difference' and then give you the good vax

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I like the way the dude he's trying to pick a fight with instantly levels him and then goes back to being defensive.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Nodelphi posted:

Yeah, not a great choice I admit but besides the work obligations, my dumbass elderly parents didn’t evacuate and neither did my in-laws, one of which is bed bound and on hospice. I won’t abandon them. That being said I realize the risks, I have supplies and I do have experience with previous hurricanes, including Katrina.

I am not implying that staying is smart or a good call. Some people need to stay though to care for people who can’t leave.

You're a good person, goon speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

AWWNAW posted:

My mom got vaccinated in late may and died last Monday after about 5 days of what sounded like mostly fever and fatigue. She had a negative rapid test and was waiting on results of a better test

Sorry for your loss.