Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

I too enjoy Metroid-ing from time to time.

Why yes, Other M is still in the shrink wrap, why do you ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Raylax posted:

I'm not gonna say Metroid 1 is great (it isn't) but I think a lot of games back then were designed very much with the intent that you'd have the instruction book and a map or whatever other supplementary material to hand (either that you'd drawn yourself or borrowed from a friend, or supplied in a gaming mag), and a big part of the feeling that they've aged like hot milk is modern releases don't tend to come with any of that. Going through Metroid 1 fully blind is possible but it's an utterly miserable experience.

bladeworksmaster posted:

With that said, if you're going into the original there's a fair few archaic design choices like starting you off with 30 health on each new refresh, so if you're gonna play this game I would highly recommend using savestates or play it through Planets like I did.

I think these are the two main things for me. The lack of a map in game can be somewhat compensated for by making your own, but there are a few areas where even a slight indication that there is a wall to shoot or bomb through would be super helpful (getting up to Varia and down into the lower half of Norfair are two examples off the top of my head). I'm really not sure how you are supposed to figure some of those things out without someone explicitly telling you, and there is no X-ray visor to lean on.

The 30 health is just loving inexcusable game design, make it scale to 1/3 of your total health or something. Anything would be better than what they did.

The one other main jank I would add is there are a few rooms (Mother Brain's in particular, but a few others throughout the game) where the slowdown is BRUTAL. This is pure limitations of the NES, but it is far more noticeable in a few areas than most other top tier 1st party games.

All that said, I love Metroid 1. Sure, I grew up with it (with an Official Nintendo Player's Guide from 1987 at my side) - but I really think it nails the atmosphere even with the NES limitations. No one in their right mind should play it without save states in this day and age though.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

The United States posted:

It was shown in the attract screen and the american television ad, but yeah, it breaks all conventions of what is and isn't destructible so it's not a connection you can make without outside information

Isn't there also another part of the world where you traverse across a screen between two broken halves of a similar glass tube? Or is that after you have already bombed your way into maridia? I don't honestly remember....

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Has anyone who has been to brick and mortar retailers to pick this up seen collector's editions anywhere?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Muscle Tracer posted:

dropping in to say: game good, i'm getting a little frustrated that my way back keeps getting cut off arbitrarily, but i'm enjoying the combat more than any other metroid i've played. looks good, sounds good, feels good.

I was frustrated by this as well, but once I got the speed booster it felt like it opened up pretty decently to backtracking, and stuff wasn't being arbitrarily changed to prevent you from going backwards.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

ZeeBoi posted:

Protip: if you discover a new type of door, go to the map, hover over it and use "highlight icon", it'll show other instances of that kind of door. Might help you navigate or find your path.

:eyepop:

That is super helpful. Thank you.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Why is everyone hating on the underwater boss. That was probably the easiest one IMO. Only one phase, and I think I got him in 3 cycles, once I figured out the fight, which probably only took 3 tries? My only disappointment there was I assumed he would give me the gravity suit, which I still haven't found - I assume I will eventually.

Way less tedious than those drat Robo-Chozo things, that you just have to blink past over and over again to land a charge shot and a couple missiles 100 times in a row, and then don't give you anything but energy/ammo refills.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 9, 2021

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm gonna get poo poo on, but this feels like the dark souls 2 (before sofs) of Metroid games. I'm enjoying the level design and exploration but this melee counter poo poo is annoying.

Honestly, you can basically ignore the melee counter....95% of the time when you are just running around? I really only find it useful on the flying enemies, just because they can sometimes be hard to hit via free-aim. Missile everything else.

Sure there are a few times when you absolutely need to use it, but it is pretty forgiving on the timing, way more than the drat EMMI counter.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
OK, definitely got pretty drat lost after getting Space Jump until I was browsing this thread and someone emphasized the utility of it under-water - that helped and got me on my way, so thanks. At least my random backtracking everywhere looking for a path forward allowed me to grab a bunch of items from the early zones.

Later boss spoiler: Z-57 isn't anywhere near as bad as people are saying, especially if you utilize storm missles, although it did take me probably 5 tries? Didn't care for the flappy bird phase, that was really easy to get out of rhythm if you took a single hit. LOVED just blasting his face over and over again if you pulled off the counter and triggered that whole extra cutscene. Probably my favorite boss so far.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

euphronius posted:

It does feel a little on on rails compared to like the original one or Legacy of the Wizard

It opens up from time to time to let you get lost, but it is definitely more constrained than the original or Super. Feels better than Fusion in that regard, but I have also only played Fusion once a long time ago so I may be mis-remembering.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

petcarcharodon posted:

you actually don't have to cross bomb, you can walljump and duck into the tunnel and to the room on the left and then have way more time just bombing and then ballsparking up

oh gently caress, I think I just realized why I could never pull that move off. I kept getting the booster outside in the tram room, and would bonk into the door - so I was trying to store the spark, run in, wall jump up, and shinespark to the left (didn't even realize there was more to it because I never got the spark into the tunnel right).

The whole time I should just start closer to the door so I get the booster activated once inside the room huh?

Well, that is 20 minutes of my life I want back

:smithicide:

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

SalTheBard posted:

I have just obtained the Space Jump and I'm really not sure where to go now, where do I go from here?

As a soft hint Remember that the Space Jump allows you to travel horizontally under-water indefinitely - you can use this to access a new door

More direct The path forward is in Burenia

Real direct Go to Burenia, in the large underwater area at the bottom left of the map. There should be a plasma door showing up on your map, halfway up the water on the left hand side, but isn't exactly connected to the map due to a drop down platform blocking it. Start on the right hand side of the underwater area, and chain spacejumps to the left across the shaft and access the door, after dropping the blocking platform by hanging off it

ROJO fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 11, 2021

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Twelve by Pies posted:

I hope they loving fired whoever designed this shinespark puzzle in Burenia, goddamn is this bullshit, it feels impossible.

e: If for no other reason than putting a loving door in the middle of where you need to start the speed boost, what an incredible rear end in a top hat.

why is the door a problem? just....shoot it while you run? or is the screen transition messing with you?

don't get me wrong, that is a hard puzzle - but the door wouldn't have been the bullshit element I singled out.

edit: and to be clear, I am not trying to claim to be some elite shinesparker - there are still at least two I haven't figured out what to do for yet.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 12, 2021

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't know if I can beat this game. Phase 3 of the final boss deals way too much damage. I go in with full health but in a matter of seconds he just completely drains my energy. This just seems unbeatable for me.

The door isn't hard to deal with but it's incredibly, incredibly annoying because if you screw up, you have two choices. Either one, stand around and wait for the door to close just so you can shoot it open again, or two, start up a speed boost charge except oops the door slammed shut in your face gently caress you lol! It's an extremely dick move.

Ah OK - yeah, to be honest, I usually spent long enough trying to make sure I was right on the far edge of the platform since the distance is so tight, the door was always closed when I started.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Okay so just tell me one thing straight. I keep seeing speed booster blocks that can't be straightforwardly broken because there's no space to get up to speed. Do the intended methods for these involve drastically extending your shinespark state past normal by keeping it after sparking like you can in earlier Metroids, or am I missing some kind of upgrade I just haven't gotten to yet?

Speedboost being preserved by walljump is a big one - some of them seem to require you to play metroid pinball to get your boosted rear end in the right spot.

I'm only aware of two puzzles (at least based on how I did them) that require you to preserve you boost by sparking into a slope to chain multiple sparks together.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
11:17, 100%.

Great game - first Metroid I think I have ever done 100% on without looking something up intentionally (although I probably absorbed a hint or two about some shinespark puzzles reading this thread, even dodging spoilers).

Probably the best 2D metroid from a pure game execution standpoint IMO. Not the most significant (Super Metroid) or even my personal/emotional favorite (NES Metroid) - but holy poo poo a great game all around. Perfect difficulty, nothing seemed like extraordinary bullshit to get past, but still died plenty of times trying to figure things out. Good twist at the end, Metroid Samus is awesome, bird dad was a great fight - took way too many tries before I realized the very final part of that fight doesn't function like the Omega cannon.

I feel like most complaints about different bosses can be summed up as "not using Flash Shift/Storm Missiles enough."

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

RBA Starblade posted:

Playing this anything on joy-cons seems like a miserable experience

:same:

Augus posted:

Goddamn, fighting experiment z on hard mode without the space jump or storm missiles is brutal

:stonk:

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Speaking of most speed puzzles having multiple solutions:

Is there another way to do the one in the top-left of Dairon, *other* than sparking into the small ramp to recharge your boost and pinballing up the shaft like a maniac? Every other way I tried (various ways of storing the spark and space jumping up) seemed to be just a little too tight on the timing....

I love this.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

jackhunter64 posted:

The only bit that kept getting me was the 1-3 swipe attack, it's hard to get out of after the first hit. Everything else is telegraphed enough to react in time with a slide, a dash or a space jump. You can all do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

That one is difficult to get out of and doesn't have much wind-up, but in general, you can just assume he will do it if you are standing close to him when he finishes another attack, so GTFO pre-emptively.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
What all counts for the in game timer? I assume anytime you are in control, but not cutscenes, pausing, or staring at the map? And EMMI/boss attempts you fail on and restart from outside the door are wiped away I assume?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Bruceski posted:

That makes me feel a bit better about 40mins after beating the first boss on my "quick" attempt. I'm tempted to look up some benchmarks so I know if I'm at least on track for a 4-hour clear.

Yeah, I just started a 2nd playthrough and was shocked to see I was already at 1:05 by Varia Suit without really getting lost or slowed down at all - skipped cutscenes help explain it a little bit. Is sub-4 possible without sequence breaking if you just execute well?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

a.p. dent posted:

stuck again after getting space jump. i keep thinking the game wants me to go into cold areas early but clearly that’s not the case. just can’t figure out anything else to do. also JUST GIVE ME GRAVITY SUIT COME ON

If you're looking for a hint, I'll quote what I said a day or two ago - seems to be a common place to get stuck (it got me)

ROJO posted:

As a soft hint Remember that the Space Jump allows you to travel horizontally under-water indefinitely - you can use this to access a new door

More direct The path forward is in Burenia

Real direct Go to Burenia, in the large underwater area at the bottom left of the map. There should be a plasma door showing up on your map, halfway up the water on the left hand side, but isn't exactly connected to the map due to a drop down platform blocking it. Start on the right hand side of the underwater area, and chain spacejumps to the left across the shaft and access the door, after dropping the blocking platform by hanging off it

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Lastdancer posted:

Hi buddy!

I feel you. Hell I saw I had a whole 30 Minutes on the in-game timer in the save file menu right before the final boss and thought oh hell yeah I've got this in the bag!

Of course they count cutscene and credits time. OF COURSE. :suicide101:

WElp time to try... again...

UGH whelp, yeah I guess I'm not making 4 hours then either. At about 1:50 a few minutes after getting the speed booster. Don't see how I can get up to the final boss by 3:30.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Damnit, on my 2nd playthrough and at 3:13 after just getting back to Burenia after the screw-attack. Don't think there is anyway I'm gonna make the 4hr mark :(

Have been playing it pretty straight on the intended route, although I did take the shortcut from the green teleporter to the gravity suit rather than go the long way, so did early gravity suit path but at the time I was supposed to be getting it.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 15, 2021

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Your Computer posted:

is that the one in the frozen room? because uh, i did that in the dumbest way possible and probably not the intended way but i sure didn't need to do a mid-air shinespark :pram:

https://i.imgur.com/MbFwL53.mp4

(the ball at the end was an accidental input)

drat, I kept trying this, but I guess my space-jumping just wasn't fast enough. I had to re-start my timer with the ramp mid-air.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

The Human Crouton posted:

Game is okay. It's only difficult because it controls like a butt. Would be more enjoyable if Samus didn't win a 100 meter dash every time I press a direction.

:wtc:

Samus's silky smooth speed is actually the best part of this game, I love bouncing around like a demented pinball.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 16, 2021

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

sigher posted:

Just got to Ferenia and I'm not sure what to do against this first encounter, nothing seems to work against him unless I'm missing some visual cues...

The Chozo Soldier? Just pump missiles into him, and flash shift over him when he comes up to melee you (or counter the white melee strike)

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Kin posted:

Yeah, but how do i get from the upper half of Ferenia to the lower. From where i picked up the space jump there's no way down to the transports to Dairon except through a frozen room.

edit: looked up a guide. The janky assed water double jumping controls are what was blocking me from getting to the green teleporter. I thought that section was a puzzle to return to after getting the gravity suit or whatever lets you move in water normally.

You aren't actually stuck in Ghavoran. Remember the space jump works underwater.

more of a hint: You are trying to get to the green teleporter, which should be on your map in Ghavoran, and real close to the tram to Ferenia

edit: wow gently caress I somehow managed to miss that you had already figured it out.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 17, 2021

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

A Bag of Milk posted:

This is probably the simplest and intended way. I used the hardest method in the first video posted since I didn't think to do the wall jump kick.

I'm still stuck at 99%. For me the killer is the missile+ pack in burenia that requires 2 chained shinesparks on diagonals. It doesn't help that the space you're given to charge is just barely long enough. The sequence near the beginning where you slide to get through the gap, shoot straight down then boost to the left is a lot to do at once. I've never been able to preserve the boost coming out of the final slide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsxM38gjOAY

@1:46

c'mon

I suppose it'll feel good when I finally nail it

You don't have to shoot the blocks, you can land on them and do a standing shinespark diagonally down and left to hit the ramp and keep going.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

mastajake posted:

It’s the morph ball in/out button. Unless you’re running, then it’s slide.

:popeye:

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Zoran posted:

Are you supposed to get a certain upgrade to climb the tall morph ball tunnel on the way to the Twin Robot Chozo Soldier fight in Burenia? I’m struggling with the fight, but even more so with the infinite bomb jump I seemingly have to do to get in every time I die. I don’t really want to leave and come back because it was pretty tricky to get up here…

Did you sequence break to get there? You should never have to do an infinite bomb jump in the normal progression of the game. Space jump allows you to climb that shaft, and you should have it by that point in the game, and IIRC you have to have already gotten screw attack to be there in that shaft in the first place due to the blocks lower down, which is way out of order if you don't have space jump. You should have space jump by that point if you don't.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 18, 2021

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Escobarbarian posted:

How far through the game am I if I just defeated Escue, grabbed the Storm Missiles, and am now up against the Twin Robot Chozo Soldiers?

Eh....2/3? 3/4? You are kind of in the home stretch, and the next two power ups you get more or less blow the game open for you.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Scaevolus posted:

They do. You have to find (nearly?) all of the teleporters first though.

I think someone tested earlier and found out it is using the elevator up to the final boss area that turns all the teleporters universal - regardless of how many you have found.

Or did that understanding change?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Bruceski posted:

3:18 at the final boss, 34% item collection, and I'm considering trying to figure out any missile packs nearby because I'm running out on the boss. Second phase having no way to regain ammo is mean, I don't recall this issue on my 40% run last time but I think the time I spent getting lost included some missile packs.

I know in speedrunner-land gun spam is the best dps at the end, is that still the case for those of us with mortal fingers?

You should be fine with gun spam. I just beat him on my 'fast' normal run (3:34, 39%) and only used my arm cannon except phase 2, when I dumped storm missiles into him when I could, and don't think I ever managed to get anywhere close to even 50% of my missiles. I don't think I'm particularly a fast spammer, but in the 3 attempts it took me, I did get him to phase two with only 2 counters each time, which seems a little faster than most people so :shrug:.

I think the gun spam is helpful because you can more quickly adapt to his movements once he gets off the ground.

That said, I think you have buffer to go collect a few more upgrades if you are just trying to get under 4 hour. My save prior to the final boss was 3:34, and I finished at 3:52 in the end. So you should have plenty of time to go grab some extra stuff and still squeak under 4 hours.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Bruceski posted:

A couple of tips for caring about the timer:
--As mentioned, timer does not advance while paused (with either - or +). I think it still does during pickups so don't pick that time to go get a snack. Get back control and pause first.
--Timer advances during cutscenes, skipping them just adds the time anyway. This includes the credits, so when going for the final boss try to allow for plenty of time. Like 20 minutes total, don't assume you've got time to go do idle collecting.
--Timer advances while talking to Adam, mash through the text.
--Choose your hard saves wisely. You don't want to wander off into left field, save, then decide that the skip you were trying for is too difficult and need to backtrack.
--Sidenote to the above, most of the tricky skips (at least game-intended ones instead of shooting through walls or something) have a save point nearby. Get there, save, do all the practicing you need, then reload and do it quickly.
--Checkpoints are before every boss/miniboss, entering/exiting every EMMI door (while the EMMI is up), and every transport/teleporter. You can load from these as easily as from save points. Try not to go through an EMMI door unless you know it's the right one.

Alternatively, no actual sequence breaks are necessary for sub 4 hours, you can just run the intended game route reasonably quickly and make it. Granted that requires you to reasonably know where you are going (so does sequence breaking) - but as long as you aren't getting super lost and saving while you are off in the wrong part of the world - it is totally doable with zero sequence breaks.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 22, 2021

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Cactus posted:

drat that boss in Ferenia after bypassing (and dying a million times to) the scanning EMMI is turning out to be, for me, a total fart to fight. It flies around too fast and has a shell on it that gives immunity if attacked from the wrong direction, which is really easy to find myself doing because it flits around the screen so much shooting its stupid purple blasts.

I know this is an old-school game and that's great and I'm loving that about it but at the same time I really would love having an options screen that lets me enable boss healthbars so that I know exactly how well I'm doing. People don't want that? Absolutely fantastic we got you covered; don't tick the box.

Optional Strategy: It is pretty easy to charge a shinespark by starting outside his room, and run inside, get the boost, and store it. You can spark into him just as he flies in and take a good chunk of his HP away - I'm not sure exactly how much (someone here probably knows) - but I would guess around 75% of his hp disappears with a shinespark. He is a bit of a slog otherwise, unless you were sequence breaking to have out of order items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Metroid Prime Trip Report: gently caress Chozo Ghosts. Forgot about how obnoxious these assholes are everytime you are just trying to pass through. Yeah, you can just ignore them. But still obnoxious.

That said, this game is incredible. I'm glad I put off that nagging "I should replay Prime" feeling for a couple years to have this version.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 11, 2023