Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Lol, the lag between the rise in "climate change"/"global warming" and "unexpected"
There was no way to expect this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Cold on a Cob posted:

extremely milquetoast direct action was executed in a city near me: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/group-claims-responsibility-after-tires-of-more-than-30-suvs-deflated-in-kitchener-ont-1.5991411

reddit response overwhelming in favour of prosecuting the people involved as terrorists or perforating them with extreme prejudice:

don't worry though i'm sure we'll convince people to go all in on fixing this aaaaaaaany minute now

(these are the posts that weren't already deleted, which i assume were far worse)

Holy gently caress people are unhinged

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Stereotype posted:

have you ever really considered your own mortality? really involved your entire mind into realizing the certain eventuality that you will someday die; your vital functions shutting down and your brain quietly ceasing all it's complex electrical activity. have you imagined what it would be like to no longer exist, to no longer be a conscious actor on the universal stage of interacting forces and matter? i have, it sounds awesome. sign me the gently caress up

You’ve talked about entropy a few times and it left an impression on me, especially how I think about death. Everything is temporary and falling apart over time, including us.

Seems wasteful to destroy the environment so badly that future humans can’t spring out of it though.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
We could cover the Earth with a tarp

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

NBC News reported in July that eight cases of locally acquired malaria had been found in the U.S. since May, with seven cases in Florida and one case in Texas. Those cases were the first to be acquired in the U.S. in 20 years.

Seems normal

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Microplastics posted:

How dare you malign the internal combustion engine

we’re replacing all the ice with ICEs

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Unless posted:

back page of today’s FT

qr goes to https://www.bain.com/about/further/

when they start talking about our need to “transform food systems” you know it’s over

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
Honestly I was thinking more like we stop feeding people since starvation is endemic

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

I guess that’s what Miami will look like in a decade.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Hubbert posted:

hey thread what is your favourite ecologically unsustainable treat

Clothes

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
What did we need to do to keep everything from burning if we had acted in the 80s. like, would rationing flights/gas/shipping to “not egregious” levels have been sufficient or has the entire western lifestyle been hosed from the beginning

Pink Mist has issued a correction as of 19:18 on Jan 16, 2024

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

roll back consumption to 1955 standards and keep it there permanently. it would be fine, frankly.

I feel like this could have been accepted in a world where public interest wasn’t manufactured by brands. a mechanism for rolling back consumption would still be useful

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
we could simply not sell soda in plastic holders

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

we’re hurtling past 2c though?

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

TeenageArchipelago posted:

well, they'll never willingly implement them

we’ll get around to it eventually

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
perhaps we could design a series of rules so that we check up on our old infrastructure on a scheduled basis and have consequences for not doing that. you would think the purpose of regulation is to shift the responsibility away from individuals when it’s in everyone’s best interest

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

They're not saying that explicitly but yeah I wouldn't say that's an unreasonable conclusion to draw from this except that the IPCC consensus position is that we aren't even at 1.5C yet.

would be extremely funny if the “if we can act now we can limit warming to 1.5C” COP talks were happening about when we hit that number

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
front page story on geoengineering from the wsj today. that was faster than i expected.

https://www.wsj.com/science/environment/geoengineering-projects-cool-planet-weather-f0619bf7

they compare dumping chemicals into the ocean to taking a tums

Pink Mist has issued a correction as of 16:27 on Feb 14, 2024

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i won't live long enough to see it, but i wish i were alive to see the complete abolishment and abhorrence of plastic, except in extreme medically necessary (and probably military) circumstances

the imperial plastics ministry oversees and enforces the strict regulation and employment of all plastics in society. it answers directly to mecha-eco-stalin

i bet we would see improvement just banning it from clothing. alas we cannot do without shein

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

it’s summer, it’s supposed to be warm

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Who could 4c this happening

save this one for 2027

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

lol at the spike in 1960 from cars and that it took <20 years to have a noticeable effect on the global level

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

we must prevent adapt to ??? climate change

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

SixteenShells posted:

wtf happened in 2002 that made net energy flux momentarily negative?

it kinda looks like it takes a dip after global recessions

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
record? nice!

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
we better melt more glaciers so we can use their remains to melt fewer glaciers

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
the two options on my ballot, “death” or “death”

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Crazypoops posted:

What do you call it when an anomaly is now reality?

normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

kater posted:

my favorite eh whatever bit of trivia is it taking five hours of streaming music for it to be less energy efficient than having a cd.

that seems like a small number, just makes it funnier how bulky websites/ads/video/llms are