Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Fil5000 posted:

One of my dad's friends moved to the Netherlands for work back in the 90s. They were out there for a decade and his wife basically made a point of not learning a loving word of Dutch. How do you spend a decade somewhere and not pick up ANYTHING without deliberately trying?

The Netherlands is slightly different, because virtually everyone actually does speak English (which isn't true in Germany, that dude's in a bubble), and Dutch people love to show off their English skills, and (in the words of my Dutch teacher) they like to have a secret language for themselves that the foreigners don't understand - so they're not huffy if you don't speak Dutch, even after several years.

BUT, you would still have to insulate yourself on purpose to fail to pick up the basics. More importantly, why wouldn't you take advantage of being in that situation! People ask me how to learn a language well, and "living there" is top of the list, which sadly most people don't get the chance to do. And these people squander it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Missing info: did they live in the gift cake for 5 years before smearing it?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

pentyne posted:

There's a lot of stories of Chinese/Korean tourists who bring entire suitcases full of instant noodles because they don't believe they can get noodles in overseas countries.

I saw a comedy band once who had a song called "Giant Illegal Stew" about such tourists going to Australia and getting fined for bringing food in.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

On the last name stuff. We have a very noticably Indian last name, (as noticably Indian as Tendulkar, but way more common.) And as such are constantly getting people surprised when they learn our names. My brother's wife cops it as well. She is a kindergarten teacher, and has parents come up to her and say "When my daughter said her teacher was Mrs "Tendulkar"(not our real name), I didn't expect it to be a white woman.

This was an interesting post. And this bit makes me wonder how much overlap there is between the "wife and children must have husband's name!!" people we see in this thread, and the "white woman is called Mrs Jayawardene?? Does not compute" people..

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Foo Diddley posted:

oh you deliberately humiliated me on my first day at work in order to undermine my career, how thoughtful and sweet of you

Treating Ross Geller as an instruction manual

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA For Reporting My Brother For Child Abandonment?

Turns out that after I hung up on him he decided he would call my bluff and drop them off anyway

:psyduck: That's not calling her bluff. He had no reason to think she was lying about being away, and she had no idea he was going to dump them, so there's no reason for her to have stayed out of guilt either.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Skellybones posted:

to avoid confusion: Me=Me, My wife= Wife

- proceeds to refer to Alex (I assume) as "he" on first mention, making it sound like the farmer uncle met Megan in college.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Hey, it's me. I enjoy being the photographer at friends' weddings, gives me something to do, makes them happy, and it's an easy high-value low-cost wedding present.

But I wait to be asked, after my wife (/assistant/social wrangler) has hinted that I might be up for it - in a way they can just ignore if they want someone else, or don't like my style. And we have wedding experience (that poster's right that it's not a walk in the park).

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Excellent combination of 2 great genres, "help people are speaking not-English" and "stop doing that or get out... wait where are you going?"

Also great response:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I approached Sam when she was alone and told her that I would appreciate it she refrained from speaking Spanish in my home. She said okay. I thought it was a done deal when she added ‘I’ll just speak Portuguese then.’

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Pomme de Terror posted:

What's he actually getting at...?

aaaaaand there it is

Ooh, less microagressions, that sounds good!

[touches earpiece]

I'm sorry, that's "less people complaining about microagressions, which I think are made up"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

[sprinkling her with graphite dust] "This is the only allotrope of carbon you're going to see from me!"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

AITA for disciplining my daughter for crashing my car?

My perception of US driving instruction is "lax", mainly based on these forums and US media, but in Europe it's very normal for the accompanying adult to be legally seen as the driver. In which case, she could turn around and tell him he's going to jail for manslaughter, put on her sunglasses and walk away from the accident he (legally speaking) is responsible for

But I'm guessing that's not a thing (everywhere) in the US?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nearly all the tea etiquette can translate seamlessly to coffee for Americans, and indeed it's really not that hard. It's prepackaged ingredients, boiling water, and often signature or marked vessels so you know whose is whose. loving it up repeatedly is a sign of Problems one way or another.

The most tea-disciplined theatre I toured to in the UK warned touring companies to bring their own mugs from home/digs, because everyone had their own mug in the green room, no spares, wash your own, don't touch other people's. And the whole building stopped for tea at the same time, morning and afternoon, so everyone saw each other regardless of what their job was.

It was nice.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Hughlander posted:

My boyfriend always has scratch marks on his body that he claims he gets in his sleep. Am I being paranoid or is he telling the truth?

Oh honey...

If a men has scorch masks, does that mean he's cheating with his best friend.?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

ad090 posted:

AITA for "ruining" a birthday party because the planner disrespected me?

and that we have “no right to ask the kid to leave her own house”. I was baffled that Hannah was prioritizing this kid (who obviously doesn't own the house)

What do you MEAN I'm kicking the kid out of her OWN house? Do you SEE her name on the DEED??

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

edogawa rando posted:

AITA for not switching seats?

Posted solely for the stupid joke I thought of, which was "USA means ur seat is ares!"

There's only 1 type of train from London to Paris, and it works like a plane, with assigned seating, passport control, security checks, and crew you can ask to enforce your seat. The Americans obviously didn't choose their seats ahead of time (or weren't able to because it was a tour), didn't like the random ones they'd been assigned, saw a table and nabbed it. Which is fine up to the point of making a fuss when asked to move.

Also from mom of the year:

quote:

He said if it was Rachel I wouldn't have made that assumption, though I assured him this wasn't true

Sure, there definitely exists a situation in which Rachel starts acting weird/sick and the mom just assumes she's looking for attention :rolleyes:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Probably because I'm Brit-ish, but the term "a twin bed" makes me instantly angry. "Twin beds" is a description of how many beds are in the room. It's right there in the name! And every hotel I've stayed in with twin beds has had 2x "Full" or bigger, as per the diagram above.

Now that I've calmly explained this, AITA*?

*Reddit acronym meaning "Account Is Throwaway"

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 11, 2023

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Tobermory posted:

Husband got a “married sex” education and I don’t know what I think about it

my husband’s aunt (Maria, now 39f), who is not religious at all (they are not “blood” related)

Of course not, if they were "blood" related they would share the same Christiocytes that make a person religious :rolleyes:

Re DNA guy, that reminded me that when I was very young and first learned about genes via the medium of the classic double helix picture (in pretty colours) and being told these were inside you, I pictured these helices inside my abdomen alongside the guts, the size of long party streamers all stuffed in there.

But then I turned into a functioning adult...

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

oh dope posted:

Yes banks are famous for bluffing about unpaid mortgages.

But he did pay his mortgage. Sure, it wasn't "the right amount" or "every month", but it should still count

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

artsy fartsy posted:

AITA for not giving my sister my prom photos?

judge’y

Normally I get very judge’y about bizarre apostrophe usage (Steve and I's or fiance') but I quite like that one

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

oh jay posted:

This is what happens when when AI tries to cook.

People like lobster mac, and salmon is delicious and more affordable!
Kimchi provides a little heat and texture, just like chili powder and bread crumbs!
If you like peas in your mac, trying upping the veggies with seaweed and collard greens!

Well before the current round of """AI""" kicked off, I remember reading neural network recipes like this

quote:

¼ cup coconut fluff rings
1 teaspoon cooked buster grapes
½ cup shanked whipping peanuts
6 tablespoon lemon turn beans
1 seeds of the chocolate cheese
1 cup milk bat leaves
1 ½ cup sherry stick
¼ line phempherbly ice
½ cup shrimp white pine baking powder
1 teaspoon baking curny sauce
¼ cup milked salt
8 oz canned pomegranate crescents
12 oz can canned and chopped pistachio stock

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for the way I reacted to my neurotypical children telling me they won't be caring for their sibling?

I'm not telling them to put their lives on hold and be his caretaker, only that when the time comes that we can't take care of him they will need to.

"I'm not telling you to put your lives on hold, I'm telling you to stand by to put your lives on hold!"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I like how often it’s a cocktail napkin.

This proof is written on a cocktail napkin

And it still says 0.9999... = 1

And 1 is spelled wrong!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

"I loving depended on you and
you left the loving wheelbarrow
out and it's loving raining
and now the white chickens
are loving filthy"

|
|
|

I love Calvin's dad. Is that the binoculars moment?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Cerekk posted:

Billions of people every day do poo poo they don't enjoy in exchange for payment

I'd rather do a sex act I'm disgusted by than clean diarrhea out of a 110° portapotty, and I did the second one for minimum wage

Because of your crazy moon units, I initially parsed 110° as the arc of the mess, or possibly how far the portapotty span :shrek:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

"I thought we were having a steak dinner"

"Ohh nooo, I said 'cake sinner' - that's what I call Devil's Food Cake"

"Yes, and you call it 'cake sinner' despite the fact that it obviously has vanilla icing"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I'd be mean to Easton too.

Hey be nice, Sheena Easton saved his life as a baby

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

Hi. I worked as a janitor and in other jobs where I mopped up the floor.

Empty the mop bucket after every time you use it. Sometimes, empty it before you are done with the whole floor because it's already dirty and the water coming out of the mop is dark and then you're just moving around dirt. Holy poo poo, empty the mop bucket.

But what if you fill the entire bucket with cleaning fluid instead of water? Then by definition it can never get dirty

Checkmate, "mop expert"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

blatman posted:

i dont have the soapy cilantro gene but i love eating soap so i just buy cilantro flavored soap

INFO: Are you the King of Town?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Oh ye gods! My roast is ruined!

But what if... I were to get the youngun to order some food with their newfangled tiktoks, while mocking them for not understanding technology that was obsolete a decade before they were born?

Oh ho ho

Delightfully devilish, Boom-mour

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

When I was a kid on holiday in Portugal, I needed a hat, so we just grabbed a baseball cap that said "sporting" on it. I thought it was just a generic hat supporting the concept of sports

I wore it to school and my Portuguese friend was very angry. Apparently "Sporting Lisbon" were his football team's deadly rivals.

But we were like 9. This guy sucks.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

3 words:

Airside Pod Hotel

(or High Speed Rail, but I hear that's communism)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

MIL told my daughter that Santa isn’t real, so I told her that God isn’t real

I don’t know how the legal system works to be honest, but I’m hoping we can request that she be put into a mental health facility as opposed to a jail so she can receive the help she very clearly needs. We also filed for a restraining order against her and we took her name off the pick up list at school.

I liked the incongruous de-escalation of things in this part.

"You tried to kidnap our daughter. You're under arrest, you might go to prison, or a mental health facility, we've taken out a restraining order against you...

...oh and you're OFF the pick up list!!"

Like I know it needed doing too, just kind of goes without saying :v:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for punishing my 16-year-old step-daughter after we found out she was bullying a kid for being poor

Holy Simpsons Frogurt Meme

Cowslips Warren posted:

(f16)
neccessties
her own car
YTA (you're the American)

Cowslips Warren posted:

i was furious as we thought we didnt raise her to behave that way
NTA, for not phrasing it as "we didn't raise her that way" like every other post

Cowslips Warren posted:

her mom and I's money
YTA

Cowslips Warren posted:

(punishment stuff)
NTA

Cowslips Warren posted:

Windows computer
YTA :v:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Kaiju15 posted:

I'm sorry. Did your mother give birth to you when she was 5?

I also read that as "I'm closer in age to my mother than I am to my sister", because the alternative reading "I, the older sibling, am closer in age to my mother than my sister is", is both trivial and generally not a thing in terms of shared interests :confused:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Job: +10
Cat: +2000
Yoga class: +230
Divorces: -50000
Monthly fancy meal: +110

Someone who is good at human happiness please help me, my heart is dying

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

quantumwell posted:

They had a year to get their act together and wasted it being slackers and horrible breeders. No landlord is going to allow six non-potty trained weiner dogs in their property

"Property viewing for... ay, six wieners!? Aw crud"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

WIBTA for (more politely) telling my boyfriend to grow a spine?

asked him to come along and halo another friend decide on buying a car

If they need to do a risky parachute jump to get to the dealership, I feel like everyone should be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Hughlander posted:

AITA for kicking my brother and his family out after he tried to give me a whore-a-vention

Un-Christian behaviour: helping the poor, the gambler, the addict, the criminal*, housing the unhoused, supporting family

Christian behaviour: copious judging and ingratitude; stating "I am a Christian"

Hmmmmm

*this still counts even though it's all the same guy