Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Rahu posted:

Hey I have a dumb switch question.

If I have a physical version of a game and I buy that same game in the eShop, would I still be able to use my old save files in the downloaded version?

Bonus points if you know the answer for games in different regions because I live in the US ended up with a european copy of mario kart somehow.

Different regions I believe are different saves. Isaac definitely is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I bought a second-hand Switch on eBay a couple of years ago. All has been glorious. Recently the left joycons analog stick is sluggish to recognise being pushed down. When I look on YouTube all the videos are about fixing drift. Am I right that this is different to what people call drift? I'm in the UK and wanting to get it fixed.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Was there an obvious move on here that didn't involve deduction?

I worked out the 3 on the 1 3 row had to end there as otherwise it lead to there being a 2 in column 8. But that always feels wrong to have to be doing that level of deduction. Also I rarely find them!

Picross S7 puzzle 58.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Snake Maze posted:

For the record, this style of deduction is never required for Nintendo’s picross stuff, although obviously it’s still valid.

That's why I figured I'd missed something as it was only using that deduction that I could finish it. It was the missing bit on column 6.

Thanks for all the advice! Up to the 87th puzzle of the day.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Well there's the entirety of tinfoil.io, which is the backend that Tinfoil (the client) uses for it's one-click piracy.

Games are hosted on servers elsewhere. Taking down the tinfoil backend website means they just get another one and point to that instead.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
They're called codewords. https://dkmgames.com/CodeWords/codewords_phone.htm for example is a phone based version.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Large Testicles posted:

is that just a switch bug or is it a whole game thing? cause fast travel is already really loving weird on pc too but there seems to be certain things you need to do to make it work.

It's that. I played it docked and could fast travel as long as I was stood in the small area where you're allowed to.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I got up to 96% in Kirby. I've got all 300 Waddle Dees, 300 pieces of Leon's soul, all of level 1-3 figurines, maxed out stage, all blueprints fully evolved.

I can only really think of the final cup in the colloseum. Seems a lot to be 4% (I know it'll unlock some figurines & movies) but it must be enough unless I've got to meet target times on treasure road or upgrade the weapons fully (which seems like it'd take a few hours of colloseum grinding).

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Mega64 posted:

Modded Switches let you use homebrew, emulation of older games, let you install Linux and Android, and opens up options like streaming games from your PC. Also piracy.

If none of that interests you or you have a Steam Deck or whatever, there's no point in modding for any of that besides maybe the homebrew and piracy.

You can also overclock your Switch.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Recently grabbed Olli Olli World. Hadn't played any of the others but saw it mentioned somewhere and it's enjoyable. Short levels with simple tricks to beat them and some challenges to make levels repayable but other than a few of them they're not ridiculously frustrating (I'm only on the second world) so I'm tempted to get them.that contrasts with trying Neon White before it and after failing an early side quest about 50 times I decided I couldn't be bothered.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Played and beat Live a Live. Fun game just wish skip was extended to fights too. A way to speed up fights and skip intro/endings would have saved so much time. Attack animations weren't super long but I didn't need to see them 100 times.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

gently caress there's so many games I don't have and want to get. I think I may have broken my second SV addiction. Or at least I'm weaning off of it thanks to Triangle Strategy's Golden Route, which once finished means I can put that down. Splatoon 3 obviously monopolizes a lot of time, but I can play that and something else.

I definitely need to knock out some smaller indie titles between TS and Metroid Dread this Christmas. If I had to choose between Tunic, Sifu, Neon White, and Omori, what would you suggest (disregarding sales)? I know they are wildly different games, but I mainly looking for something short and enticing. I also really want Dorfromantik but I'm not quite sure how to categorize that/when to get that. I may wait for a sale.

Just played through Tunic. It's glorious. Zeldaesque with a variety of puzzles.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

How does it perform on Switch

Only played on Switch but no concerns at all. Its not a complex game graphically for the Switch to render.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Morpheus posted:

Are there hidden paths you need to find in Tunic? All I remember is that often there were hidden paths that you discover by coming back via a shortcut, giving you a 'that was there the whole time??' thing.

But those load times sound pretty brutal, yeah - I played on the PS5 so didn't experience those. Would make things frustrating for sure.

I found combat pretty much exactly like the souls series, so I had no problems with it, but if you're not a fan of that sort of game, yeah, not going to like it here.

There are some some secret rooms with items in, but nothing essential. You can usually find them because they have a small switch on the wall to press, or three flowers sat by them and so need a bomb thrown at them.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Morpheus posted:

Was it the shield? Bunch of people seem to miss that, which, yeah, makes things a whole lot tougher.

I'm guessing it's the upgrade system. I missed that for a fair while too because why would I think that I could do that?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Finally beat Tropical Freeze. Had it sat around for ages. Got to the end of world 2 but never moved beyond that. Now beat it. Happy with the 68% completion. Definitely no desire to go and grind out puzzle pieces but a fun game.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
After finally wrapping up SteamWorld Dig 2, I played the original SteamWorld Dig and yesterday wrapped up SteamWorld Heist. I'm not usually a fan of turn based games but it was an enjoyable enough play. It was a rare game that I played handheld. It wasn't until almost the end that I realised you could just tap on enemies to aim at that instead of trying to do it manually. So many missed shots that could have been avoided.

One definite downside is that while there were lots of characters to pick from, levelling them up to be as good as your main 2-4 seemed way too much effort so I just ignored them and didn't get to experience their play style. The new game plus mode would alleviate that in a way, but I really don't feel the need to replay the game.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Calidus posted:

The difficulty in Rogue Legacy 2 seems hilariously non-linear. 3rd boss took me bit, 4th boss probably killed 20 generations. Zone 5 is just like bullet hell platforming.

You can spin jump off the yellow balls if you didn't know that.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Started FFX for the first time. Just played first game of Bltizball. What an awful thing that is. It seemed like the only button I could use was the X to try to swap between manual controls and automatic ones. It seemed no matter where I was I couldn't trigger it into letting me shoot/pass and that option only ever came up when the Goers players were on me and so Id never have a chance to score outside of the Jecht score. Painful garbage that even lasted through overtime. I will happily never have Wakkas best weapons to never touch that thing again.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

maybealabia posted:

Just got my last shrine

One well still out there, someplace.... I may finally resort to looking poo poo up on the internet at this point.

Isn't there someone you can talk to that gives you a hint about missing wells? Or am I mixing that up with caves for gems.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
https://store.nintendo.co.uk/en/nintendo-entertainment-system-controllers-for-nintendo-switch-000000000010000562 if you are in the UK the NES controllers are half price. 24.99 for a pair assuming you have a Switch online membership.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Bummer. That's ok. I'll probably just look up where to find them, I have a weird idea of where I can find them underground... there's at least a coliseum, and they had the habit of showing up next to some lighthouses, too, but I don't really want to fight them all gloomed up.

There's a definite pattern to where they are found in the Depths. Under the stables. Guts can drop from any type of lynel but the harder the higher chance.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

B33rChiller posted:

Supergiant.
Runner up in the category of "really stretching the definition of bideo james": Leonardo Laguna Ruiz

Supergiant are great. Team Cherry surely if they still exist.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Aside from clout and materials any point in fighting Gleeoks? I don't fight lynels often because they're tedious and essentially you only need lynel mats to fight lynels (or armor) so you're just in a cycle of killing them to be able to kill them. I figure Gleeoks are similar? Also what's more important when fighting them elemental protection or just high defense?

I killed my first one last night and it just felt like a bit of a slog. It wasn't as fun as fighting the Wind Temple boss like 4x in the underground. That fight never gets old.

Have you done the hunt monster quest in Lookout Landing? There's a medal for killing them all if you want.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Then they all shall die. I haven't started those proper just been killing things I've found randomly. But it being on my way I cleared out one I found in the underground and found it to be worth more trouble than I cared. But I'm sure with the right planning they're not too complicated. It's just lynel that same to be properly time-consuming.

The first one I killed was very annoying. Then I realised that the easiest way to kill Gleeoks is homing arrows (eg aerocuda eyes) - spam a few of them and then hit with your hardest weapon when it lands. The second phase is harder as it's higher, but basically the same idea

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah and getting to the sky islands can otherwise be a real issue if you're into building contraptions/loaded up on battery.

I'm missing one Sage Will and I have no idea what it is. I've looked at a map at this point and haven't yet gone through each point with a fine tooth comb but I'm pretty sure I've found them all but I clearly haven't.

Just accept it given the 5th sage is absolutely awful and not deserving of the upgrade. I have the other four running around but the 5th is definitely disabled.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Is there some kind of obvious marker on the overworld map that a level in Wonder has a secret exit? Like how in SMW you had yellow or red dots. I only realised that I'd missed something on a few of the levels in the first world from the lack of that background check mark on the courses list although I had the pole, three coins and both visible wonder seeds.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Dracula Appraiser posted:

I haven't really seen for sure, but I thought after finishing the level select thing would maybe show a third seed is missing. But that might just be if you got the secret one first. Some secret paths are also just on the map. So you can't find them from an exit. You have to find them by walking around.

Thanks for that. It must be if you got the secret exist first. I didn't find the secret exit on the singing piranha plant level from the first world. It showed me having found the flag pole, the 3 purple coins and the two wonder seeds. The only reason I worked out that I'd missed something was that it didn't have that pale blue check behind all that.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Finally beat the last special world level on Wonder. That was a lot of deaths. Most deaths due to...
Spring feet, jet run (so long to break the habit of jumping just before falling off v waiting a second) and that invisible one with the balloons.

Very much had no problem with flower voices and can't imagine why people would turn them off. Even when the same lines kept repeating Mid. Air. Spin. as I kept dying.

Absolutely glorious game. So much creativity. So much madness.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Grabbed Rogue Glitch Ultra - fun roguelite action/platform game. Definitely see myself losing lots of time to it.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Just finished PoP. A fine game. Highlights include being able to press A to speed up credit speed and the glorious mechanics. So many bits taken from Hollow Knight.

Edit - 95%. No desire to 100% it. Three flasks and 4 lore items to find.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 18, 2024

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Played through first two worlds of Mario vs Donkey Kong. Does it get any better? I've only died so far from assuming Mario could jump a bit further a few times when impatiently waiting for the lifts. It seems a bit charming but not great.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I was a fan of Bit Trip games back on the Wii so was happy to grab Runner 2 when it got released on Friday. Just spent the day going through all of normal mode getting perfects. A fun game and definitely worth it but no way I'm going to complete it in all 3 difficulty modes.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Thanks to whoever mentioned Tails of Iron 2 - it lead to me grabbing the first one. Good game. At first I regretted playing on normal difficulty but a few more deaths and I got used to the combat enough. Finished main story and now working through the post game content. Enjoyable - downside is it does like to crash every now and then. Most annoyingly was when I had just beat the final boss and it was travelling to the main area and then froze up. Got to beat the final boss again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
PoP was definitely good but the sound design and music doesn't hold a candle to Hollow Knight which has one of the best game soundtracks there is. So many absolute bangers - City of Tears is so glorious.