Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://articles.starcitygames.com/select/ninja-ing-with-satoru-umezawa/

quote:

As I’ve said before, I’d rather my brain win games than my cards.

Lmao

I, too, feel this way. This is why my legacy burn deck is just 60 mountains. Everything else is a crutch, and when I finally win a game, I'll know I earned it with my brain, not my cards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Railing Kill posted:

This would resonate with me if it wasn't coming straight out of the Fun Police's mouth. All Sheldon does is tell people how to play, or that playing too fast or too competitively is wrong. It's disingenuous as hell.

disaster pastor posted:

the two worst things about EDH (yes, finally surpassing the players themselves!) are Sheldon Menery and Gavin Verhey.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Framboise posted:

Are shrines a creature type or not? I'm still kind of confused on that matter. Especially when it creates Shrine enchantment creatures...

Shrines are not a creature type.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

(games governed by a strong social contract)

Sheldon's always been a condescending motherfucker, but this might be a new low. "We know there are a lot of complaints about these cards, but the 5% of people we think are playing the game the right way have a way to handle them, so they're fine! For the other 95%, they should be trying harder to be like the 5%!" Basically,

Toshimo posted:

Fire Sheldon. Preferably into the sun.

Also, maybe this is a Hot Take, but...

fadam posted:

Maybe I'm just CRAZY, but I don't think Library would be too good.

...while I think a bunch of the banned cards could be unbanned, I feel like any Reserved List card that's banned should stay banned. Especially given the RC's official stance on proxies. You could maybe make an argument for, like, Rofellos, because at least he'd be a new commander and would add something unique to the format, but Library's a card that could do nothing most of the time but be really strong in edge cases and could be put in every deck. Given that Sheldon still writes for SCG, the optics of unbanning a card that most people don't have, most people won't get, but SCG charges $3000 for would be pretty bad IMO.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Me: "I'm not sure there's anything Sheldon can say at this point that I'd agree with."
Sheldon: picks on Seb
Me: "...fine, you win this one."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Sheldon: "don't worry so much about what the Rules Committee does and doesn't ban, it's healthier to discuss what your local group is doing and play a deck that fits!"

Your local group:

TheLawinator posted:

my local "cedh" group basically bans any commander that's in the cedh deck database and allows proxies of cards that cost less than 50 bucks

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Elaine is right and throws out a ton of points I've been hammering at for years. Absolute banger thread.

Yup. 100% correct, every word. I don't think I've ever seen a better explanation of these issues, including every time I've tried to explain these issues.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Why is the BTB deck not playing Phage?

Because Phage doesn't work with the Bullies.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I went a different way.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Aranan posted:

The idea that casual and competitive players are playing different games should be drawn out even further. When you get to the point where an inherently competitive game (in the sense that it is players against each other vs a cooperative game) has people actively seeking to not win, it sounds like they would be better off with an entirely different game.

Yup. It's one thing to not build the super competitive decks, or work within budget constraints, or have a power level you and your group are comfortable with. And it's lovely to knowingly play a deck way above the known power level just to crush people. But when there are penalties for playing legal cards or taking legal game actions, or when you design your deck for any outcome other than "if I execute my game plan better than everyone else, I will probably win," you're not playing EDH or even Magic, you're using the cards to play something else and you cannot expect randos who walk into your store or who you meet at a convention to know and agree with the rules to your something else.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

LeafHouse posted:

If you want to play cut throat games where winning is the only goal then go for it, there are countless formats for you to live that experience including cEDH. I enjoy that but I also enjoy the experience of a casual EDH game people take into account the experience their opponents have. When I was 15 I had no problem being the dick who loops extra turns or locks my opponents out of the game completely but now I find that sort of play embarrassing.

Winning shouldn't be the only goal, but it should be a goal. There's nothing wrong at all with not playing extra turn loops or not playing stax, those are absolutely valid choices to make about your play experience and the power level of the decks you play with. Where it becomes a problem is when you build a deck that at the end of the day simply does not play to win.

Likewise, Sheldon Menery, who has never been right about anything in his career, saying "the right thing to do is to ban certain cards, but we're not going to ban them! You should ban them in your play group! And when new players show up and want to play with you, you can shame them for playing the game wrong!" doesn't actually help anything. It lets him feel like he's off the hook but it's one of the primary contributors to Commander steadily becoming more and more toxic over the years.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

Nobody asked me, but this is the way I think about it: when you sit down to build a deck, you have to consider power level, and that's the point at which you consider everyone's enjoyment and the social nature of the game. You might say you're not going to include Consult/Oracle in your 5-color deck just because you don't want to win that way. You might include Armageddon in your otherwise friendly combat-matters deck to close out a game when you're ahead. You can be as focused and cutthroat or janky as you want at this stage.

Once you sit down and shuffle up, whatever deck you picked, you're playing to win. That's it. Play your hand the best you can, and pick whatever line you think will get you the W at the end, you already did the "nice" part by building your deck and having a pregame conversation to figure out what everyone is going to play with.

Yes. Exactly. If you show up with Zndrsplt and Okaun but say you're Prodigal Sorcerer Tribal and you usually win with damage multiplying effects, I don't care. In fact, I hope you do, that sounds badass! If you show up with Zndrsplt and Okaun and say you're "a fun deck" and you don't have a win condition, you're just here for everyone to have fun, and you usually just play Warp World and Confusion in the Ranks and Scrambleverse until the board state is too complicated to keep track of and people decide the game is over, I'm not going to find that fun and I'm not going to want to play with you.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

Since that surfaced, one of the guests who made an appearance on I Hate Your Deck (Rachel Weeks) said she doesn't want her episode airing at all. It has since been taken away from public viewing on YouTube.

To go into a little more detail on this: the allegations came out, Weeks asked that her episode not air, Lynch blocked her and posted it anyway. Lynch only made it private when Weeks tweeted about it and he got a ton of backlash.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Three different legendaries from this set needed day 0 errata? Glad the Commander design team is up to their usual standard of excellence.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Yes, 2 of the "errata" are just "let's just clean up some phrasing". 1 was to cover a weird timing edge case. None of them are really notable and presenting them as A Problem is disingenuous.

Less a "problem," more a dunk on them for being just as good at writing the cards as they are at designing them.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

the culture seems to be - interpret every post as a vile lie made by your worst enemy

Welcome to the EDH community!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Toph Bei Fong posted:

But, since WotC doesn't have the rights to "Tyranid" or "Astartes" , it could get fucky down the line if they try to reprint Marneus Calgar as, like, Magnus Cole, Warpriest or something, unless it accompanies errata making all Astartes into Humans and all Tyranids into Horrors or Mutants or whatever, and all Necrons into Constructs or Golems. Unlike the humans and zombies in the Walking Dead and Street Fighter SLs, it's the first time we've seen non-WotC copyrighted stuff in creature subtypes. Certainly a solvable problem, but is it the sort they'll bother solving? Hard to say.

MaRo said that any Magicified reprints of the WH stuff would be accompanied by new creature types that map 1:1 to the printed creature types, if they do such reprints at all.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Now someone do the Humility + Opalescence ruling.

Humility and Opalescence is actually not that complex, IMO, unless you're new to it. They both basically do their thing, and timestamp order only applies to their power and toughness. If Humility entered the battlefield first, Opalescence wins on timing and Humility is a 4/4 creature with no abilities. If Opalescence entered first, Humility wins on timing and Humility is a 1/1 creature with no abilities. (If you have two Opalescences and Humility entered between them, you have one 4/4 and one 1/1 Opalescence but they're not the ones you might think, but if you're playing Humility and two copies of Opalescence you know exactly what you're doing anyway.)

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Oh poo poo, well, wouldn't that just mean I could get out a Marit Lage for basically free once I have Dark Depths and Thespian's Stage in the battlefield? that seems crazy!

Yes. This is how the legacy decks built around Depths work.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I have actually developed an interest in building Tawnos. I realize he's a jank commander, not a competitive commander; he costs five, does nothing on his own when he comes down, and is mainly a turn-things-sideways kind of guy. But he also seems fun, so I'm trying to figure out how to build him without him being dead in the water. Anybody got some decks they've built for him?

Things I'm trying to consider:
* How to win (Craterhoof is the obvious one here, Thunderfoot Baloth, Triumph of the Hordes, Stampede, Finale. In theory, there's cute poo poo like Biovisionary and Rite of Replication, but this deck will probably already have enough cards that are worthless on their own.)
* How to handle everything being expensive (Ramp, Gwenna, Itlimoc, Selvala, cost reducers (medallions, maybe monuments, Krosan Warchief, THB Nylea, Incubator, Cloud Key?))
* How to refill my hand (Beast Whisperer, Selvala again, a variety of other creatures.)
* What cute poo poo might actually be worth including (Colossus+Abundance? Helm of the Host? Scepter combo just because? Food Chain combo? Token doublers? Ways to recur creatures? Maskwood Nexus?)

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I am glad they ignored Sheldon, but I wish he didn't have that level of input to begin with. He says nothing intelligent or of value and should never be listened to.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Among Commander players I've spoken with, opinion of Elesh Norn is "maybe good enough to be a casual commander but probably better in the 99 somewhere." Among players of other formats, it's "she'll have to be better than she looks to even be playable."

Only Sheldon is like I'M GOING TO SEND A SELF-IMPORTANT EMERGENCY EMAIL TELLING THEM NOT TO PRINT IT AND THROW SHADE AT THEM WHEN THEY DO ANYWAY.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Framboise posted:

The kind of reaction Sheldon is having is as if they made some kinda Praetor with a Seedborn Muse effect for you and a Stasis effect for your opponents, and it's just not that at all.

This is the man who thinks Prophet of Kruphix is one of the ten most dangerous cards in Magic. If they actually printed a Seedborn Muse/Stasis praetor, I'd expect Sheldon's reaction to be to poo poo his pants and die of an aneurysm.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

If you have a steady playgroup, you could always suggest it as a way to switch things up. I like poo poo like "choose two blocks and a core set, nobody's sets can overlap".

Years ago, my store had an EDH league going with, I thought, a fun concept: every time someone won a pod, everyone else in the pod picked a card from their deck, and those cards were banned from the league starting the following week. Decklists weren't provided, so the focus was on cards that actually got played, and then you had to decide if a card you played that was better in their deck should be banned, etc.

The first couple weeks were cool, then the biggest grognards said they felt "targeted for winning" and left the league, but showed up on EDH night anyway and played their own games while making snarky comments about "sure am glad I can play this card tonight!" So the end result was the league just collapsing. loving Magic players.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dizz posted:

banning basic lands. it seems they're a staple that helps decks to win, and they're in 100% of decks.

Basic lands weren't eligible. I want to say no lands were eligible but I'm not 100% sure.

cosmicjim posted:

I thought that league idea sounds terrible. Let's just make every deck progressively worse every week? Am I missing something?

Framboise posted:

Seems like it's really vulnerable to petty salty players too. Just ban the winner's wincon so their deck doesn't work anymore. I'd fuckin quit too if that happened.

Important context: when they set up the league, people asked for a reason to play new decks/not their usual decks/ridiculous decks. This wasn't "ban Thassa's Oracle from the deck built around Thoracle," most decks didn't have a singular wincon. We were mostly playing untested jank for fun because we'd been playing the same tuned decks against each other for months, and tuning them further against each other while we did.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

I built a Kiki-Jiki deck.

I fear I might have gone slightly mad with power. :ohdear:

Get Zealous Conscripts in there if you want to be mad with power.

Also, cut Temple of the False God for a Mountain, and probably also Darksteel Citadel unless I'm missing an interaction where Citadel is relevant.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Heath posted:

I like seeing the variety and the personality in deckbuilding, which cEDH lacks by design.

This is not true and enhances the perception that you don't know what you're talking about.

Heath posted:

I like finding weird interactions and unconventional strategies and trying different things and experimentation. CEDH isn't conducive to that.

This is not true and enhances the perception that you don't know what you're talking about.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Warhammer cards are going to be harder if they end the license, since they used Copyrighted names as creature types.

MaRo has always said that if the Warhammer cards get Magic-themed reprints, they will get newly created creature types that map 1:1 with the Warhammer types.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Railing Kill posted:

Red is full of that pseudo-draw effect that exiles cards off the top of the deck, and you can play them from there (usually only on that turn though). Apex of Power and Chandra, Fire Artisan are examples of this. I'm not sure if more of those effects is what Chiss-Goria wants, though. He seems to want just a big ol' pile of artifacts and maybe multiple attack steps like from things like Aggravated Assault.

I think what Rythe wants is to be able to grab and cast the cards Chiss-Goria exiles that were not the one artifact cast per trigger. And, no, there really aren't good ways to do that beyond Karn. Next-best would be, like, Mirror of Fate, which is bad.

I think the key card you're looking for here is Scroll Rack, to give you greater control over which cards are exiled in the first place.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Solis posted:

I came up with this so far as a janky 1/1 counter deck. It feels like it's missing some interaction but I don't really want to cut creatures for more spells. I probably went a bit too hard on ramp though.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/OTaWCiULOUa2KvH1BOSTVw

Why are you playing Reliquary Tower when casting Atraxa requires WUBG?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Same.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

lmao

been thinking about building ivy -- how do you keep track of all the copies of stuff? seems like a total nightmare.

MPC a bunch of versions of the copiable things in your deck.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jiro posted:

Just to be clear a tri land that does not come into play tapped that bounces a non lair land back to your hand is trash as far as an inexpensive way to mana fix with 3 or more colors on a deck. Ooook

It really is. If you're playing lairs, you're at a steep disadvantage against any decks that aren't. Instead of having a lair on the field and a land in hand, you could have two lands on the field that tap for at least two of the three colors your lair taps for, and if either of them is a dual you're potentially off to the races. And printing them into precons would be exceptionally bad, because they print so many taplands that slow the decks down to begin with. Imagine keeping a three-land hand that's Dimir Guildgate, Temple of Silence and Dromar's Cavern. Yay, you have all your colors on at least two lands! Boo, your curve is essentially 0, 2 (unless you want to play something outside of your turn), 1, 2. Unless your opponents are the battlecruisingest battlecruisers, that's brutal.

WotC likes printing 3+ color commanders, which is fine, they can be really fun and exciting, but is unwilling to print the support for them. There's no reason not to print the triomes into these except that they've decided both that the triomes get to be expensive and that the commander decks don't get to have lands that expensive. Look at the decklists today. The WB deck has both Orzhov Signet and Talisman of Hierarchy. Good! How many guild signets and talismans do the Naya and Esper decks have combined? One: Orzhov Signet again in the Esper deck. Why do the three-color decks have worse artifact fixing than the two-color deck? Why do the three-color decks still have Temple of the False God, which doesn't even make colored mana, where the WB deck has Fetid Heath? Why does the Naya deck play Field of Ruin (not even Demolition Field, the card they made because "oh, poo poo, Field of Ruin isn't worded right for Commander?")

You're right that there's a lack of serviceable ways to play 3+ color decks cheaply. But that's entirely a problem of WotC's making, and "printing bad lands, but different ones" is not a solution.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Silhouette posted:

I'm just gonna stop you right there

Don't stop me, stop Gavin.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Imagine if Prophet of Kruphix was unbanned and Kinnan got two of those effects.

Prophet of Kruphix is never getting unbanned while Sheldon draws breath. He did an article years ago about "what if we had to remove all but ten cards from Commander's ban list?" and working in this hypothetical, he unbanned Tinker, Time Vault, and the rest of the Power Nine. In this environment, he considered Prophet of Kruphix still too dangerous to unban.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Silhouette posted:

Decent 3 mana options are Kodama's Reach/Cultivate, Harrow, Roiling Regrowth and since you're doing graveyard and token shenanigans, Ecological Appreciation, Harvest Season, Far Wanderings and Primal Growth.

The only mana rock you should be running is Sol Ring, honestly. Green just has so many options for land based ramp that fragile artifacts are practically worthless.

I'd run every two-mana rock I could fit in my deck before I ran any three-mana land ramp, tbh. Arcane Signet, Fellwar Stone, Mind Stone, the on-color signet and talisman. No problem with the two-mana land ramp, I play plenty of that, but it's been a long time since I bothered with Cultivate, and getting a Harrow countered is worse than getting a mana rock Abraded or whatever.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Randalor posted:

If I wanted to make a budget Tom Bombadil deck, what would an actual Wincon be for Sagas?

Ob/All Will Be One. You'll have enough ways to tutor them, probably.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

In my experience, this isn't a "sometimes" thing. Granted, I haven't played much in the last six months or so, but I can't remember a casual game in at least a year that didn't have someone make a tremendously obvious bad decision. Particularly in casual games where boardstates can get wildly out of control, knowing what to interact with eventually becomes an impossible task for most people.

Also, and I don't mean this in a condescending way, a lot (a lot) of casual EDH players are out to play their decks way more than they're interested in playing against someone else's. They're bad at threat assessment because they don't see that you're 90% of the way to winning, they see that this other thing is causing friction for them a much smaller fraction of the time.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Framboise posted:

The general consensus from within the cEDH community is that we don't WANT to be a separate format with different rules. cEDH is still EDH, and will follow the rules of the format to its fullest potential.

If someone goes to "be the change", not many will follow.

Yeah, I don't see nearly as much "we want cEDH to be run separately" as I do "we want EDH as a whole to be run much better."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

In light of the death metal secret lair, what's a competent Nekusar deck look like? I know he's got a reputation of "don't let this motherfucker live," so I think most of the stuff on EDHRec is probably too cute and too reliant on the guy sticking around.

Do you just control shell, and on a single turn, drop Nekusar, Tainted Strike, wheel? (and/or Lab Man/Thoracle?)

This is going to sound dismissive, but: there really isn't one. At anything other than the lowest-power tables, you're helping three other players draw into their game plans faster than you're killing them, and at those low-power tables he's so hated they'll save the little removal they run for him. Even if you stick him in a control shell, it's really hard to keep the rest of the table locked AND cast Nekusar AND pivot from controlling to winning. I think the closest analog is Opus Thief decks, and playing white goes a long way toward protecting their wins.

He's not unbuildable, but he's got the problem of being much less threatening than his reputation.