Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Concerned Citizen posted:

obama could have codified roe, possibly without even needing to abolish the filibuster - there were at least 2 gop votes for it. i am unsure as to whether the decision was made not to do so because it was considered bad politics or if because they simply didn't feel it was a priority, but either way it was clearly the wrong decision. and incredibly short-sighted, as the dem party often is.

It would have hurt Democrat Fund Raising if they passed it.

I predict that by 2025 they will be screening women for pregnancies when they try to travel to Mexico and other nations, that have legal abortion.

Under His Eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
And now let the fund raising begin!

quote:

Emergency donation needed: Rush $35 to help elect pro-choice Democrats to the House and Senate in November who will codify Roe v Wade into national law! All donations QUADRUPLE MATCHED!

You didn’t do it when Obama could have. Biden promised this too but you didn’t end the filibuster.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/nandoodles/status/1521581893438754817?s=20&t=bBkbcemiUDEsGEWEla9JdQ

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/repswalwell/status/1521608281969422336?s=21&t=nLYhPiCKzgtpt7cSg2uv0Q

Lmao why is he bringing up Susan Sarandon? There’s so many more people with actual power that he could have words with but he’s irritated with Susan Sarandon? I do not have hope for the Democrats. This moment will probably be seen as the moment people stopped having faith in the democrats in the future.

If they do nothing for the next six months except tell people to vote, oh man. It’s gonna be bad.

I love this exchange:

https://twitter.com/40_Years/status/1521605496951783425

https://twitter.com/40_Years/status/1521606793251729409

https://twitter.com/AWKWORDrap/status/1521352055281049603

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1521638812354596864

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Have you seen all the Lincoln Project videos on the SCOTUS Abortion Thing?

No?

Neither have I.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Maybe they can get the level of federal protection the SCOTUS members get?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Nonsense posted:

I find it difficult to believe that Republicans will settle on it remaining a state issue.

Mitch and others are already on record calling for a national ban.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/05/mitch-mcconnell-acknowledges-a-national-abortion-ban-is-possible-if-roe-is-overturned

And a slew of GOP elected and candidates are calling for the birth control ruling to be overturned.

https://sports.yahoo.com/republican-senate-candidate-endorsed-peter-012001327.html

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

This is my SHOCKED face:

Elon Musk says he would reverse Twitter ban on Donald Trump

Musk, the Tesla CEO who is soon to own Twitter, said it was a mistake for the website to ban the former president.

https://s2.washingtonpost.com/36cdd44/627aa3ee61cc0f41faa04134/5a0d96f4ae7e8a2d8fca6c54/4/13/627aa3ee61cc0f41faa04134

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1524090721304776707?s=21&t=8hHCtleZ3Czg-nHHQ463WA

This is really disappointing, but expected. They can move heaven and earth for war but when it comes to anything else that actually helps people, there are so many roadblocks.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah. Donald Trump could literally be President right now. People pretend things can't be worse, despite the fact that we have been very aggressively reminded by Justice Alito that they very much can.

I mean I think the thing that makes a squish like Biden or other Democratic leaders a lot easier to take is accepting that not all political messaging is aimed at you. They are trying to mitigate a potentially historic election loss, and crime is of national concern. It's craven political messaging, and you all act like it's a serious policy pronouncement.

Ukraine would be in a very bad state if Trump had won in 2020

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

eXXon posted:

Did he give this speech yet? Maybe he'll surprise everyone by clarifying that crime prevention means poverty reduction, not more cops.

Well, it's a relief that American voters made the right choice for the people of Ukraine.

Yeah ...

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/MercurialMiss/status/1525198200054874114?s=20&t=AFnjl9XFWhMipK3oAm9PvA

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Just the start of our transition to Gilead.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

Is this because one of those "fetal protection laws" that 2/3 of states (including many blue ones) have?

Do you have a link to the actual story? Because I'm seeing a lot of people claim that women are being charged for miscarriages (or stillbirths) when it's almost certainly these lovely laws that Dems have helped pass holding women responsible for their drug use during pregnancy.

eta: Are you sure that's not the Oklahoma case of the woman who did meth-while-pregnant? Because she had a stillbirth, too.

It's Texas: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/apr/10/texas-woman-murder-charges-dropped-self-induced-abortion

The woman who was thrown in jail on a murder charge in Texas for allegedly having caused the “death of an individual by self-induced abortion” has been released after the local district attorney dropped the case.

Lizelle Herrera, 26, was reported to be back with her family on Sunday after the district attorney in Rio Grande City, on the US-Mexico border, put out a statement saying he was immediately dismissing the case. Herrera had been arrested last Thursday and placed in the Starr county jail on the back of a grand jury indictment.

------

Only The Beginning of all of this.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Am I the only one who sees where this trajectory takes us?

You're going to end up with cases like this happening often. This isn't about the embryos. This is about control of women.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

gently caress yeah fetterman

Establish Democrat Media (CNN) was already attacking him. Very disappointing as he looks like the strongest democrat politically in quite some time.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What did they do? The only commentary from anchors I heard yesterday were them swooning over "tall and manly Democrat is what they need to win back the white working class! Not weak and nerdy looking like usual!"

Mostly about Fetterman's gun/jogger incident with a bit of "he's a Bernie guy" thrown in.

In my mind he's the closest to a LBJ in terms of FU attitude and wow, we need some of that.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

marshmonkey posted:

Translation: "the dems refuse to slob my knob!"
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1526997132858822658

Yeah, abandon the party that gave you the $7500 federal EV rebate that made Tesla successful.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Kith posted:

beef is nowhere near the leading producer of greenhouse gases and scolding people for eating beef when "having enough food at all" is an unreached goal is pretty loving terrible of you. the world is not going to melt from cow farts, it's going to melt because of the overwhelming usage of fossil fuels and pollution

This is debatable. One needs to include deforestation in that calculation.

Animal Ag is on a par with transportation.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Great rant against the people complaining about pro-choice peacefully protesting at SCOTUS residences and elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOb3opY6eHs

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That is not a great rant. it is a middle-aged white woman in her kitchen talking to her phone. it is the liberal equivalent of a guy wearing sunglasses while making a vertical video in his truck. Are the words accurate? sure. Is it useful, practical, or something anyone would spend time watching? nope. Honestly, who is that video for?

The immediate bipartisan action to prevent women from protesting at the homes of the justices just shows how much :decorum: is valued by this admin over action. Sorry.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Great so regulate the cows out of existence, replace them with fake beef. I'm fine with that. Nationalize the industry and destroy it. I'm fine with that.

Saying "well you should know better" to poor americans(who are not the global poor) upset about rising grocery prices is pretty dumb.

We can raise beef in a manner that reduces the carbon/methane footprint but you’ll have less of to and a more expensive supply.

Basically grazing I’ve been told.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

I'm sure also I barely eat beef and don't care.

I'm here about people upset that they can't grocery-scold people.

I haven't had beef since '86. I used to be ginormous.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Oracle posted:

You realize there are still three liberal justices on the Supreme Court that are a hell of a lot more likely to be gunned down by rightwing extremists, right. This isn't just about 'decorum' its about not wanting the first black female justice assassinated.

I'm not against the security, more amazed that Democrats would oppose people protesting at the justices' residences.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

The Onion finally found a way to take their infamous mass shooting article to the next level.

Scroll down the home page.

https://www.theonion.com/

Thank you TheOnion.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Republicans don't have leaders; they have wranglers. They poke and prod their voters from one talking point to the next.

https://twitter.com/LeaderMcConnell/status/1529941346928279594?s=20&t=f2ez8AXJFKmCRfMD850cnw

Who said "It's the economy, stupid."

Oh yeah, Bill Clinton.

And he was right. And this will insure a massive GOP sweep in the fall.

So what I don't understand, using gasoline prices as an example, if the companies are enjoying record profits WHERE IS THE DOJ? why isn't there a investigation into price fixing etc?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Dallas Morning News:

I don't think the police are going to be able to talk there way out of this mess.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

How do we even begin to fix this?

https://twitter.com/KateAronoff/status/1529449537848459264

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

JB: "I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood."

JWB: ight, imma head out

I won a 1800's Silver Dollar in Elementary School by knowing JWB was at the hanging of JB (this was in the 1960's).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

The Senate finally confirmed Biden's postal board of Governors nominees two weeks ago. There are technically a majority of the board appointed by Biden now, although one of them is a Republican because of a partisan balance requirement.

If all 5 of Biden's nominees (or his 4 non-Republican nominees and the Democrat nominated by Trump), decided to hold a no confidence vote, then they could do it now by one vote.

Related.

I did a cost analysis for a friend’s company that wanted to convert postal trucks (LLV’s) to electric and the cost would be less than $10k per given a decent number of conversions. They don’t go far or fast and they make a lot of stops and starts.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

haveblue posted:

Mail trucks are the ideal case for electrification, they run predictable routes that begin and end at a fixed home base. I hope that lawsuit to block the gas fleet purchase succeeds

Conversion would have a way lower carbon impact than manufacturing new EV’s too., Also because of the use pattern you get away with less pricy, more durable, abet lower energy density batteries.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Yinlock posted:

The Black Panthers are one of the most tragic examples. The U.S went to loving war against them.

... and MOVE in Philly, Cops literally dropped a bomb on them.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Why I lose hope? This sort of stuff:

https://twitter.com/ryanobles/status/1536495438303485952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

another absolute banger from Russian Asset Chris Hedges

Other than the Assange Fan Club stuff there was some decent points in this.

For one the DOJ is totally ignoring what amounts to price fixing in the oil biz.

And the climate stuff is on target.