Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

veemo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

...angle shooter? really?

How is that not called the Highlighter?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

its a small thing but this is one of the features im most happy about :

we can lob up with friends before playing some turf war! Finally, we dont have join games mid-match in order to play with friends. Its gonna make things soooo much smoother for my friend group

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

I hope Crusty Sean tickets are easier, or at least more reliable to get. Hate that i have to luck into orange bonuses and sometimes even those will just give cash instead of the ticket

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

interesting thread with a lot of cool information about all the different influences for Frye's character design, but this tweet did make me laugh:

https://twitter.com/_sukebang/status/1561540350010875905

"If you think her giant balloon forehead is silly then you're a bigot, sorry :("

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

lost a 333x match. Im so sorry Frye :negative:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Futaba Anzu posted:

i had a blast being on the attacking side as paper and it also becomes a lot more fun as well once you realize it incentivizes being a lil rat gently caress hitting all the annoying spots like their spawn

absolutely, my squad were able to win almost every three-way match by being dicks and taking the spawn of the other attacker at the the last 20 seconds. Going up the middle was often suicide, but worth it if a couple of red had recently died

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

winning attackers got 6k for winning plus 2.5k per objective they captured. losing attacker got 5k, which is still pretty nice

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Devlan Mud posted:

Yeah as a cool paper guy I had no problem getting into tri battles so definitely sticking with Team Frye in the future.

going with the most popular choice always sucks cause it makes matchmaking terrible. Team Frye for lyfe!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

really weird seeing ppl complain about being put into specific matches. As paper, I was able to queue into any kind of match I wanted and got in pretty quickly. Really had fun with the tricolor matches, gonna be a shame that theyre splatfest only

Has Nintendo said when Spaltfests are planned going forward? Im assuming theyll have one with each new catalog, so once every ~2 months, right? Also hope they have a big launch Splatfest as well

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Unhappy Meal posted:

And I guess people have dug out all the weapon kits so here you go. Now you can rejoice/despair as you find out your favorite weapon is now good/terrible.

Thank God the sploosh still has the stamp. Can make the curl bomb work as well, but ill miss my splat bombs

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

raditts posted:

The best matches imo are the ones where you win by 0.1% and you can say it's because of the bomb you threw right before time ran out

During a splatfest, i got matched into my first ever 100x match and we were getting completely destroyed the whole time. Somehow, right in the last 20 seconds, i broke through the line and went on a deep run in enemy territory. In the final tally, we won by .1% and let me tell you, i have never felt a high like that in gaming since :feelsgood:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

I personally run max gyro sensitivity but keep the stick sensitivity at default.

i do the opposite. Max stick sens with default gyro. My logic is that i need the max stick sens for those situations where you swim/run past another player and you both need to turn around to hit each other. Having the max sens on the stick gives me the edge cause I can turn faster. Gryo aiming is for fine-tuning so I dont need it moving all over the place as I clumsily fumble my hands around

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

do we know what time the game unlocks? last time i waited for a nintendo release, it was at 3AM eastern so im wondering if thats the same case here cause that would suck

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

I feel like Nintendo games are always 12 eastern/9 pacific, what game were you waiting for that wasn’t?

it was Monster Hunter Rise, which i now realize was not a nintendo game. really hoping for a midnight release here

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Relyssa posted:

I'm so loving happy that salmon run is 24/7 now

throwing eggs into the basket is a huge game changer and it makes griz so much more fun now

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

anyone that names their character any variation of "Agent 3" is a huge fuckin dweeb and they deserve to be splatted nonstop

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Hellioning posted:

I did kind of kept expecting Cuttlefish to realize who he is talking to and then try to claim he doesn't see species or something.

didnt he already do that with Marina in the 2nd game?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Relyssa posted:

I wasn't expecting it to make that big of a difference but it's night and day goddamn

Im already at the point where im getting grumpy at my teammates if i see them carry an egg all the way to the basket instead of throwing it

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

big fan of the shuttlecock special. Its great cause once you set it down, youre good to go. Doesnt leave you vulnerable like a lot of other specials

Had to stop using the stamp cause it was getting me killed almost every time

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Relyssa posted:

The trick to the stamp is throwing it via the grenade button the instant you get into any sort of trouble.

I mained the stamp in 2 and am very practiced at nailing fools with the ranged throw, the issue is that its sooo easy for everyone to shoot through the stamp when im chasing them. Its fair if someone gets the drop on me or hits me from the side, but it currently feels terrible to have nearly everyone killing me from the front

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Any videos out there showing tips on aiming and stuff? It feels like my brain emptied all the Splatoon gameplay knowledge it had

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Been putting in some serious work with the dualie squelchers. They have great range which makes zoning out opponents very easy; they paint well which makes them great for turf; and they have a fantastic kit. Splat bombs are the best secondary in the game imo and the shuttlecock is fantastic for pushing an area or holding a zone. Best part is that you can also dodge roll with the dualies, which throws off most ppl and can get you out of sticky situations

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

gently caress ya, new splatfest

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i liked the tricolor battles in the last splatfest but i was also playing as paper so i could matchmake into any game mode and be guaranteed that it would put me in that mode

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Hopin that Frye backs team Fun so that shes the least popular one again. Its great to be on that team since you can instantly match into any kind of battle

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Fifty Three posted:

Sorry, yeah, I meant specifically if you make a room because that was the new functionality the various preview sites were hyping up.

there are two options when playing turf wars: solo or with friends

if you pick solo, it will immediately put you into a match and your friends can then queue up to join you. On the next match, all your queued friends will join and it will work like Splatoon 2 where some will be on the same team and some wont. I think you can get a full lobby of friends doing this, but so far the most ive tested it with is 5 ppl

if you pick with friends instead, you will make a lobby. Any friends can join this lobby, but it can only have 4 people max. Once your squad has readied up, you will go into a match, presumably against other premade groups, and will stay on the same team the whole* time

*sometimes it will still put your friends on different teams, but its very rare. I think it does this when it cant find the right amount of people to play against your squad

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Relyssa posted:

Apart from sensitivity what is the go-to for making motion controls "click" for someone like me where my brain rejected them for the past two games no matter how much I tried? Starting with rollers is a good idea and I'll definitely do that but any and all advice is welcome. I would like to become Good and also Fresh

get familiar with using the Y button to reset your camera. I find it very helpful to center my hands in a comfortable spot and then hit that button whenever I respawn

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

For some reason, tableturf battles have by far the best music. It gets stuck in my head all day

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Sea Lily posted:

I just keep hearing the vocals to this as 'crab tank' instead of bang bing, and I think that improves it even more

i was just singing crab tank out loud when I read your post lol

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’ve been doing a lot of tableturf battles but I am having a tough time building a good deck. I can’t seem to beat Aggro Jelly lv 3 because every time I try to block him in, he just so happens to be using a lower-numbered card on the same squares and overwrites mine. Seems like it’s every single time.

Right now I have 7 cards that take up ten or more squares and 8 that are small or medium. Not sure if I should fit in more small cards, I think the smallest is 3 squares and the rest are between 5-9.

i like having a couple of tall cards, preferably able to reach 6-7 squares vertically. this allows you to hurry up and cut off the opponent as quickly as possible. Reroll your starting hand if you dont have a few tall cards.

Once ive cut them off, i focus on getting specials. Its really important to have a few small cards cause they are the easiest to build special with. my MVP card is literally a one block square, i usually get 2-3 specials after placing it in an ideal spot. Having a decent amount small/medium cards can also help prevent having to skip a turn, which sucks cause it gives the opponent another special point

I like to save a 5-special cost card so I can slam it down at the end and swing the game 20 points in my favor. makes it much easier to win a round

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

For the demo splatfest, you werent allowed to use the shells on the gacha machine so instead they made it so the game would use up all of your team's shells to get you into a 100x or 333x battle

I wonder if theyre gonna do the same thing this splatfest or if will there be some other way to get into those big battles

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

You dont want to use gryo to completely turn left or right, but it is useful to use it for small adjustments in those directions. Most of the gyro aiming will be up and down tho

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

I knew exactly what song this would be from the thumbnail lol

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya, its kinda weird that Murch doesnt have a menu option considering how important he is. Its pretty easy to miss all that if youre new to the series

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

It is pretty BS that you dont get a base pay for each golden egg collected. These squid kids need to unionize

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

that was the very first roll I got from the machine. It was so good that I thought it was a guaranteed kinda thing that the game gives on everyone's first roll and then never again to get them hooked

really want to get that again so I can make my perfect gear

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

The stamp got nerfed super hard from splatoon 2 so now the safest way to use it is to throw it immediately. Trying to stamp with it will almost certainly get you killed

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i now get even more irrationally angry at ppl that babysit eggs in salmon run. YOU CAN THROW THEM! GET MOVING DAMNIT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Its splat gently caress Friday, you fuckin losers