Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Murgos posted:

It's amazing to me how many big business Republicans want to get into bed with Trump. I can't imagine a worse environment for business than a completely arbitrary and capricious government with the power all in a few peoples hands.

Why on earth would they back someone who is likely to go on twitter and tank their stock for something a VPs spouse said at a party even after they've bribed him?

It's the same reason that during his presidency you had a line of idiots willing to work for him despite the visible line of people with Trump-brand knives in their back exiting the White House.

They're all high on their delusions and convinced "No, those were all idiots.It will be ME that tames the beast into my personal useful idiot!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'd absolutely love to see charges against Trump, but I think the most likely outcome is some of his higher level associates go down and he's tarnished enough that he isn't viable in 24

Of course Trump himself isn't going to believe he's too tarnished for '24 no matter what happens so we'll probably have to deal with him trying to run anyways.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

A hit drunk will holler!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

How are u posted:

You would think that a sitting Congressman would maybe understand that the Capitol building has security cameras. You would think.

I work training new hires at an Amazon warehouse and one of the things I try to do is point out there are cameras everywhere, the systems track all inventory movement and explain that a third of the reason we can't have earbuds to listen to music while working is because people keep trying to steal airpods (the other thirds are OSHA safety rules and Amazon not wanting the peasantry to have nice things). People still keep getting fired for theft.

I imagine a sitting congresscritter has a minimum of 1,000 times the amount of ego and self delusion of someone working poverty wages. Those cameras are for tracking the poor and unclean and liberal not a Godly Pillar of Conservative Legislative Power like himself. How dare they use the cameras against him!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

AHAHAHAHA!

Oh that's glorious. So many ghouls who already testified going "Oh gently caress, how many times can they prove I lied..."

So many ghouls who hadn't testified or weren't going to be suddenly sweating bullets fearing a congressional summons.
:discourse:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

mdemone posted:

Trump continues to think this is a trial. It's a grand jury.

I'd say it's more of "Trump continues to think this is The Apprentice where he controls the script."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Don't body shame people as "blobby". Even if they're lovely.

You don't know his health or anyone else. It's none of your business.

There's about 15 billion better and easier ways to shame Ted Cruz without doing this.

Adding to this, unlike the rest of us portly persons he's got cash enough to actually get the good healthcare that America says it has but only gives to the rich.

As the Cheeto in Charge proved, you can be in the worst health and still live forever if you're getting that tier of treatment.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Am I blind? Cause I still can't see much of anything in this video. If I full-screen it and really squint, I can see what might be a hand kind of flailing around but I might just be imagining things.

The point of the video is that a bunch of people are screaming today's testimony was fake because there's no way Trump could even reach the driver's compartment of the presidential limo, A.K.A. The Beast.

But he's not riding away in The Beast. That's just a Secret Service Suburban which is just...well a suburban (albeit with armored plates/windows)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Can we get a temporary forums word filter that replaces the word "yesterday" with...something?

"That word is very hard for me" might work

Yesterday....
That word is so very hard for me!
Oh I forgot
About tha-at day!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

watching conservativs sputter through a half dozen different half-rear end messaging attempts in short order was particularly surreal

It was great watching this because hey chucklefucks, isn't this what you were rooting for?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Re: the lost boomers/Qultists. While trying to not get bogged down too much into generation chat I saw Mechanical Ape talk about the Cold War. I always here "Why are Boomers such a mess" "Leaded gas" "LOL" all these days and what I don't really see a lot about is how the Cold War probably hosed up a lot of people around the time. I was born in 87 so I never really got to experience the mess of it, but looking back at the world of someone born in the late 40's or 50's grew up into.

Just this never ending fear and resignation that a nearly formless Other known as the Soviets would plunge the world into nuclear Armageddon. The kids these days have shooter drills, the kids in the 50's and 60's had nuclear war drills that likely left similar mental scars. I wonder how much of a lot of the older cohorts acting up comes from being told they're at the end of time, that we're going to have a nuclear rapture that will likely also be the religious rapture. It obviously helps explain the rise of doomsday evangelicism among a lot of groups.

But then the Cold War ended and the world kept on ticking with a bunch of people who can't process that the End Times aren't coming. So they're stuck dealing with the consequences of plans made expecting future messes to not be an issue, perhaps reflecting on their mistakes. Or the third option: creating their own doomsday fantasies about civilization collapsing and attacking the authority figures saying "No the world isn't ending".

Apologies if I'm just rambling but I do wonder how much of the current mania comes from those background. Obviously a lot of the energy comes from the endless right wing echo chamber of formless rage these people subject themselves to (while screaming everything else is an echo chamber).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Didn't DeSantis also pass a law to make blocking roadways with protests illegal to shut down BLM protests? Gonna laugh if that is used against the MAGA idiots (provided they actually reach the critical mass to do something stupid, which is unlikely).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Murgos posted:

Apparently Corcoran has been recording his conversations with Trump.

HAHAHAHA!!!! Get hosed.

I mean, didn't Cohen too (and everyone laughed just as hard when it happened?)

It really seems to be a thing the smarter lawyers do around him.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Randalor posted:

But at the same time, if he can drag it out to the primary or general election, history has shown that the DOJ suddenly gets very shy about actually going after candidates for fear of being ~political~. Honestly, I hope the cases reach the point the DOJ actually does the right thing, but history hasn't been so kind.

DOJ is likely to get shy but Georgia less so. I feel the attorneys running the Georgia case are trying to get their ducks in a row so they can hit full steam ahead.

The Stormy Daniels case is also less likely to be gunshy about an upcoming election. Stormy herself certainly isn't.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

happyhippy posted:

More of a chance him doing a D.B Cooper and just bailing out at 30000 ft with a few million strapped to his front, parachute to his back.

His handlers could do everything perfectly and the dumbass would be caught within 15 minutes of hitting the ground because...well he's Trump.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

We're living in the dumbest timeline.

There's a non-zero chance that Trump/his lawyers resort to chat GPT to generate friendly case citations for him. Remember he's been scraping the bottom of the barrel for so long he's basically presenting wood splinters as his legal team.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Caros posted:

I can't imagine a world where the state being able to play 'if I had them and they were still classified that would be illegal' would be helpful.

Honestly it feels like he's just sort of stuck. His whole life he has been able to bluster out of things, but the court doesn't really *do* bluster as a legal defense.

Well technically the courts (at least civil courts) do count "bluster" as a legal defense if you know you can drag it out longer than the other person has pockets deep enough to afford.

It's just when the DOJ brings a case it a) knows all the tricks to running out the clock and how to counter them and b) has deeper pockets than anyone.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Jarmak posted:

He has a 24/7 personal detail of federal agents who accompany him wherever he goes and coordinate his movement with local law enforcement. Trump would have a harder time fleeing the jurisdiction than people who have to break out of jail up do it.

Unless we think his detail has turned preatorian guard and would help him. I find that both extremely unlikely, as well as it being unlikely he's not also under FBI surveillance given the nature of the crimes.

Isn't a problem Biden has been dealing with is that a certain chunk of the SS did and still does absolutely worship the idiot? Trump was the right kind of guy for them (i.e. massive fascist) and Biden absolutely did not trust the SS when re-entering the White House.

I imagine Trump's post-Presidential detail contains at least a few true believers who'd love to help the rear end in a top hat waddle off to try to escape charges. On the other hand, there's at least one SS who's been accurately posting everything the President has been doing to the authorities, including all the information about shuffling about the documents he stole. So I could see such an escape attempt becoming an absolutely hilarious trainwreck.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

What in the loving gently caress are those quotes. What the gently caress. None of this is OK.

E: Uhh the Rudy ones. I’m assuming they’re in the new Trump indictment? I haven’t had time to read into it yet. Jesus Christ.

Yeah they're um...things I'd rather not have read.

Not at all surprising after his entire history of everything but still not mental images I was ready for today.

Tayter Swift posted:

No, they're not in the indictment, which never mentions Rudy by name (it labels him as "Co-Conspirator 1").

I don't know what the content of those quotes is and... yeah I'm both glad I don't know and extremely curious to find out anyway.

They're from a completely sexual abuse case against Rudy from what I understand.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 2, 2023

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The Bible posted:

How much of that has he paid, btw? I stopped checking the Alex Jones thread too long ago and I haven't heard any updates.

The bankruptcy court got so tired of his poo poo they assigned a trustee to basically own and run all of Alex Jones' finances, as well as that of his companies, as they dig through everything to find every single penny he owns down to marking every couch he's lost pocket change in. Of course these things take time so it's been long, dull and slow other than a few moments of "Alex Jones declares he needs $15 bajillion dollars annual salary to maintain his cost of living, judge told him to gently caress off."

Jones and Infowars is basically owned by the court, but because these things take time it looks like nothing's happened. Basically it's a lot like the "walking ghost" phase severe radiation poisoning where he looks like he's fine, he walks and talks like he's fine, heck he probably feels fine and imagines he got away with no real consequences, but inside he's slowly being ripped apart.

So expect to continue to hear nothing, then a lot of screaming several months down the line. Legal stuff like this is slow

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 7, 2023

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

By focusing on the one point that they all wholeheartedly agree on: that Barack Obama Hillary Clinton Joe Biden is the anti-Christ and must be stopped at all costs before he destroys America.

The GOP has been wrestling with these internal divides for basically the entirety of the 21st century so far. While it's certainly brought a lot of stress and instability to the party, so far there isn't really any evidence that these splits are consistently ruining its chances. Sure, 2020 and 2022 haven't been so great for the GOP, but I wouldn't be so quick to declare that this is finally the breaking point.

If we ever get ranked choice voting, the resulting GOP split would be something to watch with popcorn as the Big Tent explodes.

Of course the Democrat Big Tent would also fall apart, but I feel it would be more of a deflation...or mild explosion.

Edit to be more on point of the thread: I can't wait to see Trump getting railroaded. Love the threat that the more he's on TV the more the judge aggressively pursues his case. I look forward to blessed silence for a few days or even a week or two followed by Trump just grabbing a podium to scream at the clouds because he NEEDS his attention.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 12, 2023

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Then why did Jones have the exact same strategy in Texas where he had different counsel?

That was Jones’ decision.

Norm is an rear end in a top hat and I’m not defending him, but Jones shouted vitriol at the Sandy Hook parents in front of the jury. The legal strategy decisions are kind of meaningless when the guy is beet red and screaming about Satanic pedophile cabals all the time.

You also forget basically having a press conference on the steps of the courthouse screaming the judge is a pedophile. More than once I think.

Norm's an rear end in a top hat but I'm pretty sure he had nothing to do with that decision.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

mutata posted:

Trump, when the wall-climbers fell.

I remember this being one of the more surreal moments (out of many) that day that stuck with me. These people were so obsessed with LARPing out their fantasies they were climbing up walls and hurting themselves when the stairs/ramps were right there. Nope, gotta climb the walls of the Bastille or something stupid. And then fall down and break your hip from being a dumbass.

She looks like a muppet! I swear I'm expecting to hear Statler and Waldorf start mocking her at any moment!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I mean he's got money and property elsewhere but it's such a house of cards that this probably destroys much of it even if the banks and creditors don't come a callin'.

And you bet the banks, even the ones that were in on the take (heck especially those), are going to want their money.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Donkringel posted:

So what are the odds that dimes are moved and Trump implicates himself further by going on a lengthy rant explaining why it's actually totally cool and okay for him to do it?

I believe the odds are "Yes"

Especially once the other trials start coming down and everything continues to unravel further and further. Dude's gonna start spiraling and I'm here with popcorn.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

If I remember correctly, most of the appeals in the NY case are being run concurrently so when he finally gets to the big appeal at the end he'll have already used up 95% of his appeal ammo too.

And all those appeals will likely make the final case even more rock solid.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

This isn't optimism. Trump wants to be a dictator and everyone on SCOTUS knows no dictator wants a SCOTUS to even deal with. They got their lifetime appointments, now they can throw Trump to the DoJ.

You and I see this but remember that Trump's cult is made of people who keep seeing all the faces the leopard has eaten and going "Surely he won't eat MINE!"

I do hope the SCOTUS will know better but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Re: everyone going on and on about "Oh, Alex Jones is still living high on the hog!"

Remember, in addition to everything else about our legal system being slow, Jones has a vested interest in presenting an aura of invincibility. The moment the stink of loser gets too thick his audience (and his ability to grift them) evaporates even more than it already has.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

haveblue posted:

It feels weird praising post-Musk Twitter, but the "readers added context" feature is extremely good and funny

It's shocking it hasn't been unceremoniously destroyed because of how much it dunks on Apartheid Clyde and friends.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah I imagine Jack Smith's team already has that one 95% written up.

Just gotta fill in the relevant information, add a few more references to the appendix then triple check everything is good and there's no typos.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

He can't appeal if he can't post the penalty. All he can do is make noises.

Whatever power his lawyers had was spent in the courtroom. They can't do anything substantive outside of one.

Either he has the money or he doesn't.

He doesn't.

He knows it, and he knows that, no matter what he says, how loudly he screams, or how often: people, possibly a lot of people, will know that he is short on cash. Unable to remedy his woes because he is (get this) broke.

I think that this is why he has been glitching out and sundowning harder & faster than usual: the stress of this realization is literally killing him.

I thought he was free to appeal because as hosed as our legal system is it realizes "unable to appeal a ruling unless you pay" is bullshit and paying the penalty just puts a stay on having everything he owns sold.

So he can appeal, but the government's still going to be liquidating every single asset he has while it happens, and if he happens to win the government will just hand him a check and say "LOL, sorry."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The walls of MAL must be just coated in hamberder stains.

Seriously, the narcissistic meltdowns he's almost certainly having in private must be insane and make him absolutely miserable to be around.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

mdemone posted:

It was worse than I thought and I'm a legendary pessimist in real life

We're just lucky that it was also a few more orders of magnitude dumber than we expected which blunted a lot of the horrible things in weird says.

I'd say "hilarious ways" but I think a lot of us were mainly laughing in order to avoid crying at the time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

That assumes that the plaintiffs don't settle for less, though. If they'd rather get paid part of his wealth now, rather than waiting for the court to find all of it and hand it over to them (which could take a while, since he tried to hide quite a bit of cash in a number of different ways), then they always have the option to negotiate a deal with him in which he willingly hands over some portion of the money in exchange for putting an end to the legal efforts to claim all the rest.

I believe in the case of Alex Jones the plaintiffs have made it very clear that they are actually very interested in settling for less and actively dismantling Jones' everything. Of course as you said the courts do not want to do this, that is not their job, so they're mulling over it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

Fair warning, I may have details wrong. From listening to Knowledge Fight episodes the parents offered to settle with him on some truly insultingly low value compared to the total judgement, like not even 10%. Jones just had to continue being his usual obstinate dickhead self, screamed about witch hunts crisis actors deep state antifa Illuminati plants and unfair trials or some poo poo and it never went anywhere. The last few episodes though he's been getting noticeably more drunk on-air and frequently not even showing up. When he does it's 50/50 whether he'll cold read more head lines that mean the exact opposite of his point, or spiral into rage or depression about how bad he's being hosed and the revenge he'll get one day.

Personally I have him pegged as pulling a Budd Dwyer one day after getting rip-rear end poo poo-faced on air.

Yeah, I haven't been paying attention to Jones for my own sanity but he seemed the type to start entering a depression spiral once he finally had to face actual, serious and permanent repercussions for his actions and find out that there was, in fact, a bigger fish about.

I look forward to Trump entering such a state if NY actually starts carving out bits of his empire.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I imagine that a normal property seizure by the courts is an attorney showing up with a massive pile of boring yet absolutely terrifying and miserable paperwork. Maybe cops showing up as well to put some locks on the door and make sure nothing's stolen before it can be sorted through.

Trump and his ilk will absolutely make everything a stupid drama fest.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

He's probably getting poo poo sleep for one of a dozen reasons: Being old, being on drugs, anxiety, something else I lack imagination for, any combination of the above.

Before I got treatment for my own sleep apnea I was known for dozing off at work, especially if we had any training days where I had to sit down.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Nuclear Spoon posted:

he looks exactly like the guy from the "more money for us, gently caress you" cartoon

zoux posted:

He looks like a drat Grinch.

These are not exactly mutually exclusive:

"More money for us, gently caress you!"
-Spray tan orange Grinch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

fool of sound posted:

Yeah the answer is "so he could play stupid games with the money".

I figure this is the case. He's playing stupid games in an attempt to defraud the courts and because he's convinced he's the smartest crook around.

Big Brain moments like this is how he's bankrupted multiple casinos.