Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Albinator posted:

Here, Steeleye Span's best thing, and eternally relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDhK_glbVmI

I have complicated feeling about Steeleye Span. It seemed to be the only thing my dad liked back in the seventies, and I hated it with a passion, the harmonies put my teeth on edge. I appreciate it a bit more now, and I suppose I can, grudgingly, understand what he saw in it, but, eh, still not usually my cup of tea. But I can't argue with the message of songs like The Blackleg Miner.

An even more eternally relevant thing from the Span: https://youtu.be/MoWEiq_Z0aw

I learned to enjoy folk music from my mother, who along with my father played the London circuit in the early 70s. She taught me that good music is good regardless of genre, which is why I'm probably the only person to have seen Orbital, BB King, Deep Purple and Janis Ian live in the same calendar year. She was very excited to get tickets to see folk/techno fusion band Niteworks for her birthday this year as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

kecske posted:

surely the negotiating position will just be 'either we can pay X a month, remain open and pay that amount going forward, or our business collapses and you get nothing'

Change that to "... or our business collapses and in the case of all pubs and restaurants gets picked up for pennies by a chain, which will then pay their negotiated capped price". Big chains get these leveraged prices because the energy companies can be more certain that they will be paid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That reads like satire, but apparently it's serious.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

You grit your teeth through the unintended consequences in order to keep your child prostitutes.

What makes you think the consequences are unintended?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Nenonen posted:

The third PM in row who haven't been elected to N:o 10 but chosen by Tories to replace the last guy who resigned in shame! The previous guy who became the PM by rising from opposition to win a general election was Tony loving Blair in 1997. That was 25 years ago.

I know we'd all like to forget David Cameron, but come on.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sebzilla posted:

What's on the table bottom-left? Panic button for Brenda?

Probably, yes. Although the terrible threat to her Maj is likely to be the lack of an imminent cup of tea.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder if that's what ticky tacky is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AkoPCXZ_K4

The word now means inferior or shoddy material, but it was coined from the song.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

WhatEvil posted:

That's also my understanding of it.

Just done a little reading and confirmed, yeah: They pause the production of estrogen/testosterone. There are different kinds that can work from 1 month to 1 year. They sometimes use them on cis children, as sometimes kids start puberty much earlier than normal and it's better to delay it til the "normal" time. They've been used for about 40 years for this purpose so they're known to be safe.

Yep. This happened to the son of a friend of mine, who both went through early puberty (he was about 9, I think) and had gender issues. It turned out that he wasn't trans, so when he got to the normal age for puberty they stopped the blockers as there was no more need for them. But if he had been they would have continued as part of the transitioning process. It's just a treatment.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Scientastic posted:

How many of the energy firms could the government just outright buy with this £100b?

According to the Conservative think tank that priced it out when Corbyn proposed it: all of them, twice over.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Interviewee on BBC News just said "She governed for 70 years" (past tense). Slip of the tongue?

Whatever, I'm just SO glad Bunter won't be the one in charge when she does go.

Counterpoint: imagine reigning for 70 years and dying knowing your last official act was to accept Liz Truss as the head of your government.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

keep punching joe posted:

no we do not, so gently caress the lot of them.

Boris was also saying we wouldn't get an extra day off for the coronation. I can see Truss reversing both of those to look magnanimous though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

darkwasthenight posted:

Yeah but if you're at that level of flag-shagging you're not gonna go to Balmoral are you.

Actually you are. Operation Unicorn involves a whole bunch of staff diverting people away from Balmoral.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, he's probably going to go with George VII, although he could go with one of his other names and be King Arthur if he wanted, though I'm not sure if that'd make him Arthur II in Wales and Cornwall.

I think he's said he wouldn't be Arthur because it's a bit egotistical.

Monarchs also have always reigned under one of their own names, not just one they pick. So he'll be George VII or Philip I.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

maybe they can bury her in some of the primark range

gently caress's sake, haven't we had enough Warhammer 40K memes?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

josh04 posted:

Speaking on the Queen without hesitation, repetition or deviation.

Good job Andrew wasn't in charge, or that wouldn't be possible.

Here's a wildly amusing thought for you: if Truss pushes the next GE as far out as she can and then wins it, there's a very real chance that she'd become the first Prime Minister to serve three monarchs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Niric posted:

Stanley Baldwin did I think? George V, Edward VIII, George VI. All within the same year due to abdication, but still

You're right - it didn't quite line up when I checked but I forgot that Baldwin served three times as PM, under George V in the 20s and Edward and George VI in 1936.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sebzilla posted:

Numbers are a Norman invention, before that everyone had interesting names like Æthelred the Unready or Edmund Ironside.

e: But Harry is short for Henry, not Harold anyway. Henry Charles Albert David. So he'd be Henry IX or possibly Charles IV, or Albert or David. Or some other poo poo, I think you can do what you want when you're the monarch really.

e2: The real fun would be his kids. King Archie? Queen Lilibet (or Diana?)

I thought Lilibet was being used as a diminutive of Elizabeth while her great-gran was still alive to avoid confusion. But no, it's actually her name. Poor kid.

Anyway: Harry would use one of his own names as a regnal name, but he wouldn't use Albert. It was one of Victoria's wishes after her husband's death that while the name would be kept alive in the family, going forward there would not be a Prince or King Albert. It's why her son Albert Edward became Edward VII, and later his son Albert Victor was always referred to as Eddy. He'd probably use Charles, but we'll hopefully never know. (I say "hopefully" because for it to happen all William's kids would need to die too. William is a bit of a twat, but let's not take it out on them.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm already in the habit of calling him Chucky, with the bonus that it brings to mind the concept of indiscriminate bloodshed.

I thought it was his brother who appeared in Child's Play.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sinky posted:

cryin while looking for air filters :britain:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

What the hell Sweden? You were meant to be one of the better ones.

Sweden is poo poo enough that I know someone who is leaving to live here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

KittenCaboodle posted:

Cannot get my head around them being more royalist there than actual Deeside, or the perma-Tory border districts.

They're the most heavily Tory area north of the Borders and IIRC the only constituency in Scotland that voted for Brexit. I'm starting to think that conservatism isn't an ideology as much as a symptom of cousins loving for ten generations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

She picked a fairly poor date to publish then, wouldn't you say?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

They just keep on digging, don't they.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

I wouldn't queue 30 hours to go to my own mother's funeral, let alone, well,

this

They've waited for 70 years to attend a royal funeral, give them a break.

Me, I think this one looks a bit crowded so I'll catch the next one. I probably won't be waiting long.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

I was in Paddington station yesterday and as far as I could tell the Paddington Bear gift shop did not have a sign up commemorating the Queen's death, which I found pretty funny.

Paddington is busy in the Donbas right now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Can't say I didn't mishear but Radio 2 seemed to suggest that Harry has been re-granted the right to wear his military uniform for the funeral. Wonder if he's been reinstated into the royals.

This being the maximum chaos timeline, William is going to reveal that he's actually gay and none of the kids are his, divorce Kate and abdicate so he can live happily with his boyfriend.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

I would legit prefer Harry over William, if only for the mass national decunting Meghan Markle becoming Queen Consort would perform via blood pressure.

Harry would absolutely be better than William. William has inherited his father's pomposity and sense of entitlement, while Harry has inherited his father's sense of duty and history of active military service.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

crispix posted:

men with PENISES :aaa:

are these people who just never outgrew the phase all small children seem to go through where they tell everyone that boys have willies and girls have fahginers

I'm 100% certain that woman kissed a woman who she then discovered was trans, and now feels she has to eradicate transwomen or they'll take away her Lesbian Card.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

What I don't get is how the gently caress the B in LGB alliance is supposed to work, like I know they're just a load of shitheads and hate bi people as well but I want to know how they managed to find one bisexual who is having the vapours about the concept of trans people.

It came out a while back that the LGB Alliance are going after bi people next.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I might see if I can get a bit of work done if any of my stores are open long enough but otherwise I have workers and resources soviet republic to play. Only froze a thousand or so people to death last winter and have just solved the city filling up with poo by building a pipe to dump it in the river so things are looking up!

Are you sure that's a Soviet Republic? Sounds more like Tory Britain to me. The death count is a little low, but that just means you're not a very good Tory.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Scientastic posted:

My daughter and I are going to have an Indiana Jones marathon tomorrow, watching ALL THREE movies instead of the funeral, with Bombay mix and custard creams.

Why are you skipping Temple of Doom?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

rocket_Magnet posted:

Reading the replies the train didn't get there on time :v:

They showed proper respect for Her Majesty by following her example and being late.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i think people have said it could be like a year away

Brenda became queen on February 6th 1952 but wasn't crowned until June 2nd of the following year, so it could conceivably be early 2024. I don't think it will be, though; Charles will probably want something small in March, so he can visit the current and former Commonwealth states over the summer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Reveilled posted:

I think generally female is fine if its used as an adjective, it's only really a problem when someone's using it as a noun and tbh that's always been a clunky use of the word. Like, "Valentina Tereshkova was the first female cosmonaut" sounds ok, "Valentina Tereshkova was the first female in space" is ferengi talk.

Simply put: using an adjective as a noun is to define someone by, and thereby reduce them to, a single quality they possess.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jippa posted:

Which member of the ukmt is the russian tv script writer?

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1572087951416336385

Unlike Keir Starmer, Putin really isn't going to interrupt an enemy while they're making a mistake. Nuking Liz Truss would make everything so much harder for him even without the effects of bombing a NATO member.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I've never watched it, but I assume the emoji movie has emotions other than 'oval office'

How many more do you need?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fuctifino posted:

He signs his name like Trump

Nobody who signs their name a lot signs it legibly. Terry Pratchett used to remark that as he got more popular his signature grew more scribbly and anticipated that eventually it would become a single straight line.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Must admit I thought they'd last until the next election.

If Truss thinks she's going to be VONCed she might try calling a snap GE in the interest of party stability and to avoid her own humiliation. Although from what I'm hearing the prospect of humiliation may be why she went for the job.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ugh first cold day of the year and my central heating is hosed off. It's not the boiler, the valve I turn to add water to the system works but as soon as I turn it off the pressure drops to nil so there must be a leak somewhere in the loop even though I can't find anything.

Not exactly thread-relevant but it definitely makes me ponder the fate of a winter without heating being absolutely loving grim, and if anyone has any sage advice before my plumber comes back to me, it's welcome.

E: pressure gauge just went back up to 2 bar by itself and the heating is working again now. ???

?????

Air somewhere in the loop, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://neu.org.uk/advice/cold-weat...%2018%C2%BAC%20(64.4%C2%BAF).

Everybody's free (to die of hypothermia)

E: looks like that's just for England anyway, but I'm not hosed looking at the rest of the UK

In Scotland schools are legally required to close if the inside temperature goes below 17°C with the heating on.