Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Other than being too easy I guess not

I actually think the story is not that good in FF7R because what it actually is but the gameplay is one of the best parts and improvements over the original game. Definitely try to play it on normal if you can, because even if you don't have time this JRPG has 0 grind. There are some tough bosses but imo if you play on easy its too easy since some of the bosses are so well done, like Hell House.

Sakurazuka posted:

Always switch character, enemies automatically aggro the character you're controlling also your other characters won't do anything other than auto attack and build up ATB much slower.

Ya this is great advice, in boss fights you will need to do this more often, regular mobs should be fairly easy once you understand what their weakness is. Another thing I would say is exploit enemies weakness, it's fairly simple but to some enemies you will do 0 dmg if you don't know what their weakness is so always have the materia that lets you inspect the enemy. Have a good mix of elemental spells among your party. You probably won't need to optimize materia slots on easy or normal but some of the materia have bad description to as what they actually do. Eventually you can get a materia setup where you can just play one character and build ATB for ai.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I just realize with the AC Red game in development there is now 5 games in Samurai/Feudal Japan period. Ghost of Tsushima 2, AC Red, Like a Dragon Ishin, Rise of the Ronin. Now we just need a sequel/prequel to Sekiro.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Also this game has like the best coverart in a long time.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Nah man it's fine aiming is on the left joystick and Y-axis is permanently inverted this is totally fine.

As a Y axis inverter I approve of this restriction.

Also Yakuza 0 is the best start, it's one of those great prequels that makes the stories of the sequels better. Y1 is a much better game if you played Y0. You get to know way more about Kiryu and Nishki's relation, even upto Y4, there is things in Y0 that tie up to that.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPDI4ehuA38

Some new footage of Wo Long(looks amazing), there is a character creator and there seems to be personal pronouns? Some chud will get mad this because it's not historically accurate Three Kingdoms in a game where you are literally shooting lighting spells out of your fingertips.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

Yesssss you can play all sf in the open world at arcades like yakuza fuccccck can play final fight.

Day1 with this poo poo

Man I thought SFV's gameplay is very good but it had 0 content meanwhile SF6 seems to kill it in terms of content and gameplay. So many fun modes and the visuals are amazing.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

bloodychill posted:

You almost have to admire SE’s commitment to mediocrity for the next generation of console and PC gaming. It’s a good thing FF14 is beloved because otherwise I do know what they have going for them. A couple more remakes of the last decent DQ title maybe?

I don't mind more double a level games. I doubt these games were anywhere expensive or time consuming to make as the Final Fantasy. Reviewers are also awfully harsh on weird Japanese poo poo because usually the gameplay is fine but the production value sucks.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

FireWorksWell posted:

Neo TWEWY was pretty drat good

Stranger of Paradise is really fun as well, a lot of the issues with have nothing to do with gameplay.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Arist posted:

I don't really care about the main plot but the backstory is fuckin amazing, wtf

Ya the backstory, setting, dino robots, combat for open world is all very good.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

acksplode posted:

Seems pointless, there's nothing they can do in less than a year that will fix what made everyone recoil at that presentation. Might as well rip the band-aid off and release the thing. Or cancel it and write it off like that Batgirl movie

Ya not sure how spending more dev time on this game is a good thing. The problem isn't with one specific thing like, it's the whole format of a looter shooter/GaaS. No one wants to invest hundreds of hours + money just for the game to get canceled. I think one of the best approach for this was Warframe, they started off small and kinda just supported the game when they could. When the game grew organically it turned into a full GaaS game. It's like all these big publishers trying to build a esport game from scratch. First thing for a GaaS or Esports is just to build a good game. The other stuff around it will build itself if there is a community, game is good and supported.

The sad part is when a talented single player game dev like Rocksteady ends up wasting an entire generation for a genre that is already oversatured and no one even wants their game. I am sure a even moderately successful single player game would be more financially viable than what they did this gen. They basically paid this studo for the whole gen for this one game which will most likely sell well just on the marketing budget but die within the space of 2-3 months.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

They need to do this for FFXIV make a standalone version with less bloat. The music and story seem so good in that but can't be bothered to play a million hours of lovely morpg combat.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

It wont take that long unless you cant decide on a job and want to level them all lol. You could do it with the free trial and 1 month free of endwalker Duty support is about to be up to stormblood by the next patch, fully done by patch after. Which means all story stuff beside uhhh 99% of the trials and the 1 mandatory alliance raid is playable in sp.

Theyll probably do the same here cos they are setting it up but youll be like 60 by the time it happens

Sounds tempting, I definitely will try it once, I made an account once but Square Enix id poo poo is so annoying.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

I love the game but the combat is just lol and people act really insane it about like there :actually: depth to it somehow and it turns out theyve never played anything else in their lives cept mmos. You have to turn off spell effects just to see whats going on lol. At least its easy to figure out but lmao. Numbers go higher. Dots go round. Good job the story (post reborn lol) and music are god tier and it has the words Final Fantasy on the box along with Square. Cannot imagine having to put up with it saying blizzard or "warcraft" ugghhh, makes my spine shiver thinking about that poo poo

Good job they hired a capcom dude for 16 :getin:

Ya from the footage FFXIV combat seems like any other mmo, just sitting there and spamming hotkeys. But I trust people it's a great game. Need time to play it and be in the mood.

Also ya I am so excited for future of Square, FF7R had one of the best combats in an action rpg, really shined on harder difficulty with how you manage enemy aggro and use your defensive option like parry. That was before they hired the Capcom dude.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

univbee posted:

PS5 is still outselling Xbox to a ridiculous degree. I don't know if Xbox has made any meaningful advances in market share in terms of percentage of console units sold.

The saving grace for Microsoft is that Gamepass is on more than just Xbox so even if Xbox is not outselling PS5s they are still doing great numbers on PC gamepass. I am still not totally sure about the gamepass model, it only makes sense because it is Microsoft and they have fu money.

The confusing thing is Sony half rear end trying to compete with them on the subscription front maybe it's for the shareholders? Also I feel like we know there are some new sony teams just made for GaaS games and I am worried about those. Imo Microsoft won't remove CoD from Playstation so they have nothing to worry about from that merger in that front, they just need to keep making good single player games on their end and keep their exclusives with their Japanese partners. That's what most of their userbase want anyway.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Funny how time have changed when people are now comparing which console has the best subscription service instead of which one has better games you buy from a store.

I think buying games is still favored method for now in our industry unlike the movie industry. But there was a time the best way to watch movie defacto was to buy the dvd/buy the vhs or rent it.. Who the hell buys movies now? I am sure there will be people saying I still buy movies but you are a minority in decline.

Now the question is if the same shift in consumer behavior will occur in consuming games. I think Microsft just needs to hit that threshold of big triple a games every 3-4 months that are day one and not on Playstation. I don't know if they will be able to hit it with their current teams because the original Microsoft first party are very incompetent and always stuck in development hell. Bethesda/Activision-Blizzard-King aren't devs that publish a million games a year eithe, if anything their main studios are known to be extremely slow.

I doubt the FTC will allow them another purchase now but if they could get EA or Ubisoft on top of Activison then they could have a very strong consistent pipeline that would make Gamepass go to the next level where everyone would just have one because it's a no brainer, it would get on the Netflix level of just everyone has it this would be most gamers. If they can't acquire anyone else they probably need to see their original internal studios like Rara, 343 industries, The coalition all these other studios step up.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 13, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I said come in! posted:

This cause the live service stuff is still staying lol

I thought the only thing they decided to remove after the State of Play was the always online. How does that take 1 year to remove?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I said come in! posted:

No, I think you're thinking of Redfall. But Jason Schrier was saying that his sources told him the live service stuff is staying, all that is being done is optimization, and polish. The development on Suicide Squad is a disaster. This will be one of the worst games of 2024.

So Rocksteady's last game came out in 2015... Thats gonna be 9 years in 2024. People say Rockstar is slow but it took them only 5 years from GTAV to RDR2, of course multiple studios and all but 9 years seems a bit too much.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The Last Of Us 1

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Those reviews don’t worry me at all, honestly. Dead Island 2 was never going to be some huge industry rippling 9.5 game.

Ya seems as good as it could for a game permastuck in development hell.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Had a poo poo ton of fun with Forbidden West when it came out but I completely forgot that I even played it and I had a 100% playthrough. Not really interested in the dlc. I feel like same with Ghost of Tsushima, the gameplay is much better than your typical Ubisoft open world but it still has all the bullshit Ubisoft open worlds have but these games have more unique setting + better combat(which is huge).

Also Crowbcat's whole schtick is to complain about the most minisucle details of game that 99% of the players will never notice and have 0 impact on gameplay. In Fable 1 if you farted people actually left the room but in Fable 2 they only had a stinky emoji above their head.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I really want to try Midnight Suns but been holding out for a Steam sale, on PS5 does it have any performance issues?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

JackDarko posted:

It’s been playing fine for me. Hope you enjoy the game, it was one of my favorites this year.

Good to hear, Firaxis are one of the best in the biz. I really need to replay Xcom2, I dropped it because early on there are so many hostage missions but the gameplay was AMAZING.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

I am the same way actually. Fallen Order sucked me in, and it sucked me in on my 3rd play through a couple weeks ago. I know the game is flawed, but the Star Wars lightsaber woom woom poo poo pulls me right in.

For a new IP I think they did a great job, a lot of the backtracking and lack of enemy/boss variety seemed to be a symptom of that. I think now that they got the base fundamental of the game figured out, hopefully the sequel is more about content and more lightsaber fights. Taron Malicos and 2nd Sister were fun fights but a lot of the non lightsaber bosses were just meh. The frog in your home planet is a piece of poo poo tho.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Instant Grat posted:

star wars is not a new ip

I meant the game series Star Wars Jedi, Respawn only having made FPS games at that point meant they had to work on many systems and fundamentals from scratch. You can tell by playing the game why it reuses many of the enemies, the core combat/abilities feel good but it feels like they spend most of the dev time building the base for the game.

Sakurazuka posted:

Ima Star Wars purist

It's pure poo poo

Star Wars is so incredibly overrated for how mediocre it is. The best part is the audio/visuals from the start of the series, they were very impressive for the time, everything else is basically garbage fanfic level fantasy books even for that time.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, also the sheer number of distinct biome/climate regions and the how they merge into each other so gracefully is wizard poo poo. There's like half a dozen distinct versions of forest in the game and walking between them never feels unnatural even for a moment, even though it kind of...should?? if you get my drift.

I'm a Decima believer.

Horizon deserves so much praise for the setting(freaking robo dinosaurs), combat being so great for an open world but I do think it's biggest strength is the technicals. It looks and runs so well for an open world game. I barely ever noticed any pop in, frame rate issues and this all goes back to their engine. Like no one ever brings up Killzone but Guerilla have always been the masters of visuals, that Killzone 2 E3 trailer was legendary back in the day. I remember playing KZ3, one of the few times I was blown away by visuals on console, usually that happened on a high end pc.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dewgy posted:

I mean, the Killzone 2 trailer was also complete bullshit, so there’s a reason people don’t really remember that as a strong point.

Ya it was pure cgi but people thought it was in game at the time lol. Crazy if you look at it now it looks meh even the artstyle was not that good but I think KZ3 definitely still looks decent.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Bloodborne remaster but now there’s gear score and purps

It's crazy that TLou got a remaster + remake and Horizon is getting a rumored remake/remaster as well before BB gets one. Feels BB with 60fps would be sell crazy for Sony especially if they put it out on Steam as well. At this point it must be something with the game engine making it hard to remaster. I love that game but man back when it came out it wasn't a big deal playing 30fps games but now it's just jarring.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think they could sell a couple million copies with minimal effort if they needed a bump as such, especially if they didn't gently caress up the PC port. All in all though, as anointed as Bloodborne has been in the years since release it would still be a charity project. That game maybe cracked 2 million in sales over its lifetime, it's one of the most niche FROM titles with nowhere near the sales power of something like Horizon, TLOU, or Uncharted.

Honestly I disagree, I think BB with 60fps on steam release would easily sale more than GoW/Horizon/Tlou pc ports combined. BB's 2m sale data from years ago is irrelevant. BB didn't get bundled with consoles like those games, it didn't get huge marketing push and it came out when there were way less PS4's around then it did for say Horizon. Also success of DS3 + ER has elevated Fromsoft's status since then.

Of course I don't think it's gonna sell same numbers as those games on Playstation alone we kinda saw that with Demon Souls remake but it will for sure sell more than w.e it did on PS4.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Volte posted:

I don't think Sony really cares what the sales numbers would look like on PC. They release them there years after the original Playstation release to soak up whatever residual sales they can from a game that largely has already been made. Those games you listed individually outsold Bloodborne by absurd margins on Playstation (like 5-10x). The 2 million sales data from years ago is not irrelevant, because it's not like there's been some renaissance where millions of more copies were sold in the meantime. It might have hit 3 million, or even 4 million. By its first year, Horizon had already sold 7 million copies. GOW:R has already hit 11 million.

edit: even Dark Souls 3 didn't sell as well as people seem to think...from what I can tell it hit around 10 million by 2020 across all platforms. Sekiro did far worse at about 5 million by 2020. Obviously those numbers are a bit bigger now but certainly not "second launch" big. Elden Ring is the first game From has ever made that comes close to the mainstream success that most Sony games enjoy implicitly.

Like I said if you read, I said those games did outsell there are lots of factors why BB sold less, didn't get bundled like Horizon which was being sold with ps4 pro at launch as well, came with lower userbase and most game sales are at launch. You say DS3 didn't sell as well as people think but somehow it has the same sales as Tlou2 which probably had that game's budget just on marketing.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dying Light 2 on sale, I been thinking of picking it up but I hear its not as good as the first one while Dead Island 2 apparently is really fun?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khP047JyVXM

Its here

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

It's up for pre order on all platforms, seems like the pre order gives you some kind of custom armor piece. Collector version comes with a mini core replica.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dugong posted:

I have bought a Pulse headset, thanks all :homebrew:

Pulse audio quality is amazing for that price, although I think on the comfortability end it scores low. I can wear it for maybe max 3-4 hours.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Chump change. 6k USD Dante Jacket is still the most expensive stupid collector poo poo I've seen.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Rival devs from across the street sending a robot Miyazaki into the From offices to try steal the secret formula for creating rich multimillion dollar franchises

Don't reveal Team Ninja's business strategy just like that. Nioh heavily inspired by Souls, Wu Long by Sekiro. Now I am waiting for a mecha game by Team Ninja. Jokes aside I do think they have been smart at spinning off Fromsoft formulas and done a great job at it.

Honestly I am shocked more big publishers don't have their "soulslike". Like Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order was heavily inspired from that genre but of course that would sell well no matter due to license. Why doesn't Ubisoft just copy one of these games or Take Two, heck even Sony. I am sure a decent production soulslike would sell bonkers by any of these big publishers and they have way more marketing but instead Ubisoft has to make another f2p shooter for the 10th time.

Also like others said, Souls being a huge success probably means From can do w.e they want now in terms of creative. They did Deracine which a studio just focused on money + market trends wouldn't do..

Ulio fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 29, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

man nurse posted:

Maybe I’m just a stickler but I really don’t think it’s appropriate to have a game on PS5 that doesn’t offer a steady 60 fps mode. At the very least I’d expect no screen tearing if that can’t even be managed.

I’m gonna be a total mark for a PS5 Pro. More, more power!

This would be shoot at the top of my wishlist if they market it for 4k/60fps. Other than online games or fps which I play on PC, I prefer buying everything on PS5, it's just some games have poo poo performance so I go with PC.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

acksplode posted:

In a lot of ways PC gaming is better than it's ever been, especially if you prefer the couch and controller experience. Trash ports are the exception. I can count on controller support in AAA games. When I left off with PC gaming back in 2006, ports of console games weren't very common, and they usually sucked. Shader compilation stutter is annoying but not a deal breaker. I'd still prioritize a PS5, but PC is a nice option to consider over a Series S/X if you want access to more games and can put up with the busywork. Or it would be if price weren't a factor. The big problem is that it's way too expensive. The value per dollar for PC hardware is in the toilet, way worse than usual even for the start of a console gen. There are exceptions, Steam Deck is a really nice on ramp. But the appeal of PC gaming for dominating consoles on performance and visuals is definitely thin at the moment.

Yup I think having a decent gaming pc rig(its not that expensive) + Playstation is the best way to go, Switch if you like Nintendo stuff. I think Xbox will take sometime but they will start releasing some good exclusive games but they release everything on PC. You are kinda covered on all ends, usually by the end of the generation I just play everything on PC though since the performance starts to get substandard on consoles.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

On the GOTY talk, this year is ridiculously stacked. I mean no one even mentioned Starfield? These are the guys that made freaking Skyrim and Fallout4. I still think Zelda is gonna be the favorite before the reviews. It could be that people find it too similar to BOTW and it doesn't get that same reception. But to me it actually looks like a way more fun BOTW with it's new crafting system.

Also there is always some indie games like Stray, Vampire Survivor, Valheim that could go viral and come out of nowhere.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

^Ya its definitely gonna be a pc game, looks its 30fps on Xbox.

Augus posted:

yes that would be why no one mentioned it

I mean I don't think it looks particularly good but it will probably in the talks if it is close to their other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Talk about answering your own question

Fallout 4 suppose to be ironically bad or actually bad? I didn't play it genuiely asking because I thought it got 10s and won multiple awards n poo poo.