Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kazzah posted:

There must be exactly one person who got really good at Bioshock 2 MP

Hello it’s me. Bioshock 2 MP ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hi thread I moved my PS3 out of my TV setup today in preparation to put a big white thing there tomorrow.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Honestly this should have happened when they did the big PS+ revamp last year, it was silly for them to have three tiers of paid game catalog plus monthly games plus another 20 game collection that was separate for some reason.

The sane way to do it, especially if your service was already taking flak for not having any games, would be to announce the Plus Collection games are getting folded into the base PS+ game catalog. Not removing them entirely lol

Coming to this completely fresh I feel like that's probably going to happen, a bunch of them already are. Obviously The Last of Us Remastered probably isn't going to be among them so they can sell that remake though. Personally I'm glad it's getting lots of warning so I can play the PS4 Ratchet and Clank I never played. Honestly I think the PS+ catalogue at this point is pretty solid, it just looks worse next to Game Pass because they don't put new releases in there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

imhotep posted:

Oh yeah the other day someone asked how star citizen still has funding and that surely there wouldn’t be any new people finding it, but I’ve been reading the star citizen thread and apparently theyve been getting more funding than ever in the last few years lol.

Scams are the in thing the last few years after all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

:agreed:

Zeffo was really tedious IMHO, the other planets I've visited (so far), have been fine.

I had no issues with Zeffo but the jungle planet with all the spiders almost got me to quit playing. You could cut the second visit there out and it probably would've been one of my favourite recent games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

It’s so weird that Sony’s controllers are so poorly supported by windows when they have such great native support for Apple products. They’re even sold at Apple stores. They work really well natively with OSX, iOS, and Apple TV. There’s gently caress all worth playing with them, but they do work out of the box.

Windows support for controllers is just shockingly bad and hacked together in general, the amount of times a game will launch and just not acknowledge my controller until I restart the game is shocking. Then my MacBook will just happily accept any controller I throw at it including the Switch joycons without question. It's really one of the great mysteries why someone at Apple is determined to maintain really good gamepad support in MacOS despite everything about Mac gaming in general.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Car games are big. I think Forza Horizon 5 on PC is 140gb.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

have it standing tall, loud and proud. mines on full display next to the ps2 and ps3 and wii and switch and pc and ps1 and n64 and gamecube, which are in cabinets next to nes and snes. no shame.

You know talking of console hoarding I realised yesterday that once the 5 arrives the only PS I won't have is the 4 since I got a PS3 super slim last year.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So Astro's Playroom is really good huh.
https://twitter.com/CardCaptorKaren/status/1621560932525645824

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

My first platinum :3:

Honestly it might be my 3rd (Tekken 6 and Assassin's Creed 2 are my others yes I hunted down all those loving feathers), it rules. I also tossed Sound Shapes on there because gently caress yeah I can play Sound Shapes again now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Welcome to the PS5. Your plate is already full, but you must know sony is cancelling the playstation plus collection in May. It is a list of 20 free games you can claim since you own a ps5 (ps plus subscription required). So be sure to claim them before the time is up. Also, Astro's Playroom is a free game you can add to the list, it is pretty good. And put Returnal on your list of games to get to some day.

19 games. Also make sure to claim the January PS+ games before they change on Tuesday. Even if you're not paying for PS+ you could just burn an Extra or Premium free trial and grab them (as well as the February games) so they're there if you do in the future.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Stuff an expansion drive in there. They got cheap even with the heatsink installed by the manufacturer. I hate doing space management and that expansion slot means I never have to do it. If you play anything regularly that is really big like COD (200GB right now I think), it feels like a necessity.

Yeah I was looking prices up recently and you can get a 2tb drive that fits the specs for around £150 now. Also Humanity seems really cool from the hour I've played but I question everyone I saw say it was a relaxing puzzle game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

For anyone that's been on PS+ since 2010 or whatever...they must have quite a library at this point. :stare:

Even skipping the PS4 generation I have a ludicrous library from the PS3 days, some of which is still playable on PS5 because they were cross-gen.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bought a PS4 copy of Spiderman now the PS5 version isn't locked to a special edition and was pleasantly surprised to see the PS5 upgrade fee was only £5.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I got them recently and they’re pretty solid, bluetooth is also garbage for gaming generally because of latency. The official headset uses 2.4ghz like most other wireless gaming headsets of that. Hence the dongle. I just wish the cups were bigger since they get a bit uncomfortable over long sessions.

Speaking of long sessions I finished Horizon ZD on PC and started Spiderman and immediately lost 3 hours to it. It feels awesome to have a game immediately start showing you its cool poo poo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

I have loving choice paralysis regarding video games now, like, how the gently caress do people find the time to play everything? When I was growing up there were just enough AAA titles to keep up with. Now I can't decide if I should play the new GoW, the new Horizon, Dying Light 2, etc. There's so much stuff on sale that I feel like I have every game; but since they're digital and not tangible assets I just put them aside.

If I was starting the souls series from scratch, where would you guys recommend? I bought Elden Ring and put it away because I didn't know what to do. I usually stick to one competitive FPS but I've been enjoying single player games again.

Also, I built a new PC with a 3080 and the latest i9 processor - should I always buy games on PC instead of PS5 when the option is there? I will say RDR2 and Cyberpunk look incredible in 1440p maxed out with ray tracing and everything. Is my PS5 basically just for exclusive titles in terms of power now?

Choice paralysis is real and nasty, I've mostly gotten over it by just deciding to focus on a single game until I'm done with it (either through completion or not wanting to play it any more) then moving to the next thing. Also don't install everything you have, only keep installed what you're actually playing so you're not constantly game hopping.

As for the PC thing, buy games where they're cheapest and where you prefer playing them. Like I want to play Spiderman on my sofa on my big TV so I got it on PS5, if I ever got Cyberpunk I'd want to crank all the graphics so I'd get it on PC. You just have to decide on a game by game basis.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I thought the show was solid and came out of it with a good chunk of games I want to play, but I agree that the format of just showing a string of trailers like you're at a cinema but the ads have been extended to a full hour makes it really hard to remember everything and makes the show feel longer and more tedious than it probably is. Especially when it felt like they had the format down for a show like this after the PS5 reveal stream where they'd have developers pop up just to say a few lines about the game before moving on so it didn't feel like a barrage of Youtube videos stitched together.

But also what's their motivation to change right now? Microsoft bought up half the industry and still can't get games released, Nintendo is at the end of their system's life, no-one who isn't already there is getting into PC gaming right now. And they showed 2 of those live service games they apparently want running and people are completely apathetic about Fairgames and actively resentful of Marathon (and actively mocking Foamstars) so look forward to those being shut down within 2 years.

Also I should be the direct target market for Project Q as a freak who loves handhelds and uses remote play, but the idea that its only for locally installed games and can't do PS+ streaming is absolutely baffling because I would consider it if I could use it for PS3 streaming and it was reasonably priced (which it won't be in a market where Logitech will slap some controls on a screen with an ancient Android chip and charge $400 for it).

njsykora fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 25, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Project Q is the worst piece of hardware Sony have put out in years, and this is the company that made the PSVR2

PSVR2 is good hardware, the problem is the games. Especially when they announce 4 new games (more than Facebook have announced for the Quest in the last year at least) and 2 of them were zombie shooters (one of which apparently didn't get the memo that Zombieland was nearly 15 years ago) and another was a legendarily bad free to play shooter. Synapse looked cool though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I saw one preview that said it felt like a PS2 game and I can't imagine higher praise.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Are there actually any extraction shooters on console currently?

The Division 2 and Call of Duty: DMZ.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Huh. I thought the Division 2 was a Destiny-like. I’ve literally never heard of DMZ.

It is but its big unique feature was the Dark Zone, an area of the map which was a constant PVP zone where you could find high level gear but had to extract it in order to keep it. It's literally the extraction shooter thing being done in 2016 but no-one really cared until Tarkov started getting big on Twitch. DMZ is part of COD Warzone and is the same thing, go into a PVP area and find gear to extract. To be honest if I was Ubisoft and was literally years ahead of the trend but got no recognition for it I'd be pissed off.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

To be honest I do hope they get to the PS9 so everyone can dunk on them for it not being what they advertised back in 1999. Though according to that ad the PS9 isn't due until 2078 so there's a while to go yet.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Aipsh posted:

Absolutely insane that you're not allowed to stream games that are supposed to be streamed via the internet with your internet enabled device

Doubly funny when you consider it's almost certainly just running Android and someone will have cracked the software and have it running the Playstation Now stuff within a day.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

"BeanpolePeckerwood” posted:

lookat this oval office

Be nice to Xbox owners, they only have one more game for the whole year.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

If the reports of it being Android-based are true, it'll be hacked and run stuff like GeForce Now, which I think a lot of people would find some value in.

If it gets jailbroken and custom firmware appears, and by if I mean when, it'll be the best of these streaming handhelds by a massive margin and might actually have a purpose.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

I personally don't think those will take goty from major publications over BG3 and Starfield. I did like TotK a lot though.

Starfield has the potential to be very disappointing in the same way Fallout 4 was and not be fixed enough before the GOTY discussions start, and I'd bet not enough people at major publications would've played BG3 for it to get much traction.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

abelwingnut posted:

it's early next year, turns out.

also, did they ever announce how many installments they were doing for this ff7 project? hopefully just 3. i don't see how they could extend it more without ruining it in some way.

It's just 3 yeah, I think this next one is going all the way up to The Event.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

Fallout 4---which narratively was a huge step down from even F3---didn't get a single drat award at The Game Awards, which I know doesn't mean that much but felt like a significant snub to me at the time. Times have changed and Bethesda's poo poo has more competition in the open-world / RPG space than ever before, I feel like they will never truly reach the same critical adoration they accrued from Fallout 3 / Skyrim ever again. Even if it does well it's going to be compared to Zelda/A FromSoft mech game/Baldur's Gate from the top of the heap.

Its gameplay additions were also more annoying than fun, some people enjoyed the base building aspect but I don't know anyone who really got invested in settlement defense. Microsoft are arguably also building a giant stick for its back by calling it "The most important RPG ever made".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Volte posted:

If there had been a Game Awards in 2012, who knows what result we would have seen.

The show that The Game Awards replaced, the Spike VGAs were on in 2012 though Keighley wasn't presenting them yet because better options were available. The Walking Dead won Game of the Year. Mass Effect won Best RPG. Claptrap won Best Character and Borderlands 2 won Best Shooter which should tell you where we were back then. Journey did win Best PS3 Game though.

Also the voice actor awards were weirdly named so we got "Best Performance By A Human Female".

Also jesus christ this Wikipedia summary is a time capsule.

quote:

The 2012 VGAs (promoted as VGA 10 for the tenth anniversary) was held on December 7, 2012, at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, California. Samuel L. Jackson returned to host for a fourth time. This was the last year under the name "Spike Video Game Awards". For the first time, the awards were broadcast on Xbox Live. Live users could "play" the show as it aired live. Responses to poll questions were tabulated in real time on screen for the Xbox Live audience and users with Xbox SmartGlass devices got a unique second-screen experience that updated in real time alongside the show content. Additionally, Spike TV and Entertainment Weekly partnered to create the first-ever "Entertainment Weekly and Spike VGA Best Game of the Decade" award. Exclusive world premieres that debuted at VGA 10 include Naughty Dog's The Last of Us, Epic Games' Gears of War: Judgment, Obsidian Entertainment's South Park: The Stick of Truth, Konami's Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, Irrational Games' BioShock Infinite, Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raider, Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed III: The Tyranny of King Washington, and 343 Industries' Halo 4: Spartan Ops. Two new games were announced, including Dark Souls II by FromSoftware, and a new game called The Phantom Pain (later revealed to be Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain). The event also had appearances from all past hosts of the VGAs except David Spade. The event featured musical performances by Linkin Park, Tenacious D, Gustavo Santaolalla and Wolfgang Gartner.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Climbing mountains is my favorite hobby in real life, so a mountain climbing game like Jusant has my attention. Feels a bit Ico-ish which is also good.

But loving Christ another October release????

Jusant got a demo on PC earlier in the year and everyone I know who played it immediately put it on their wishlist. It just felt so good to climb and made me want to play Grow Home again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

my favorite thing about souls games is wandering around a cave with anticipation for what im gonna find around the next corner and/or hoping to get far enough to the next bonfire to breathe a little. i only ever want to look at the menu when im upgrading, and i want to get back into the world asap.

ac6 by contrast seems like there's a heavy emphasis on menus and loadouts like some mech sim + cod multiplayer hybrid. it doesn't sound like something i would enjoy, unfortunately. the gameplay looks pretty cool, but i don't want to need to juggle 800 different control mechanics and optimize my guns and rockets or whatever in order to be good.

can someone confirm/deny that it's NOT like souls in that you could theoretically be level 1 and still beat the game if you just play flawlessly? there's a nice feeling i get knowing that a souls game will allow me to level up enough to beat a boss AND/OR i can level up to op it.

also, probably not, but. does it play anything like returnal? that's the only third person shooter in recent memory i enjoyed.

Think about loadouts more like weapon choice in Monster Hunter. There are "optimal" loadouts people will find but executing with a weapon set you personally enjoy is more the aim, this is why you can always sell stuff you don't like and get all your money back so you're encouraged to experiment. If you're not liking the melee weapons then don't use them, put another gun in that slot. The game also gates your power level by unlocking weapons and upgrades with story progress, so if you're stuck at a boss you always know its doable with the equipment available to you.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

More shocked that they're still making Trine games tbh.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Fix posted:

Is it this week or next week that Starfield reviews come out?

Thursday noon EST is the embargo according to Nextlander, they said they’re delaying their podcast this week so they can talk about it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I reached a point in Trek To Yomi where there's huge amounts of webs everywhere, pods hanging from the trees and the next area is going into a cave. The Rule Of Spiders tells me this is where the game is about to get painfully unfun so I think I'm done.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I can tell Balteus is the giant road block in AC6 because every time I see someone finally get past it they've finished the game 2 days later.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

quote:

VGC’s Saints Row review labelled the game a “buggy, dull mess”

Sure hope those other 2 are decent.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Has the dull been fixed?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Spending money on tens of thousands of man hours to build a new engine from scratch for every game doesn't make you a good dev it makes you a crap dev

Yeah but also continuing to use an increasingly outdated engine that's been around for nearly 20 years by now also doesn't exactly make you look good. It would be nice if every time they said they'd built a new engine for a game they'd actually meant it one time and weren't just stapling new plugins onto Gamebryo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah the helicopter is meant to teach you that you should be violating a boss' personal space. The chapter one boss is testing whether you've learned that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's also implied that these megacorps are willing to spend huge money on mercs to break unions and crush rebellions because the money they make on the other side will make up for it. Like even the early missions in AC3 were here's $80k go kill these workers in converted mining gear that are trying to strike so we can get back to work.

Also all of the megacorps have their own private armies but its always pretty explicit that they're hiring mechs because if you die they're not paying anything anyway. If their own guys die they've got to replace the mech and train someone to pilot it and that's gonna hurt the quarterly reports.