Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Not Important posted:

I stayed at a friend's apartment in Brooklyn this past weekend that they had inherited from their aunt, who I guess was a big Rangers booster back in the day. I felt like a vampire in a cathedral, but it still felt pretty cool to brush shoulders with Real Hockey History.

hell yeah. Queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Things going well for Chicago I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyFSV3IJaI

Kane can't wait for the trade deadline.

just stay healthy and fit until we can build up enough cap space to bring you here please

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

E:^^ Kane-Zib-Panarin good lord ^^

Zib is in a confirmed relationship with Kreids, they won't break that up unless injuries. ideally, people stay healthy and we go in to thr playoffs with something like:

Kreider-Zibanejad-(Vatrano-like acquisition #2)
Panarin-Trocheck-Kane
Lafrieniere-Chytil-Kakko
Goodrow-Carpenter-Vesey/Hunt/Reaves

I love that Kakko and Laf are so far doing great in the top 6, but ideally we're running a heavy 3 lines, Goodrow is getting PK time, and like a 6-7 minute 4th line.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I don't hold Kane, nor any 21/22-year-old in that situation, nearly as much in contempt as I do all the management that actively did a cover-up. I hold him in contempt for initially defending Bowman and the rest, but I chalk that more up to most hockey players being narrow-minded morons rather than a diabolical thing. I'm inclined to believe him when he speaks about regretting that.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

Didn't watch the game because gently caress this team

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage (at tanking)

you should have. they looked like they played harder than at any point last year. They're going to be bad but probably very annoying to play at times. and you get to watch Torts with the media! he probably won't be at his peak this season though since he's trying to build long-term. if/when they become competitive and the team loses a game they should win, that's when he's at his most explosive

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

assaulting a 62 year-old cab driver

this could also be said of most actual NYC cab drivers. you ever hung out at a cab stand?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Guys, you can just say you care more about wins than people too. It's fine to be garbage, most are.

Not me, but most.

Aphrodite posted:

I'm not 65 years old I never saw him play.

Aphrodite posted:

I have no attachment to Orr. I don't have a jersey. I've never posed with the statue. I don't know what the process is for number retirement but I'm pretty sure it was a long time ago and I wasn't consulted. Like not 100% because my assistant screens a lot of my emails, but fairly confident.

I'm good. You can keep flailing, but I'm cool with me because I'm not fantasy booking and trying to figure out which guys on my team the double rapist would have the best chemistry with.

If you can't see the difference, I don't know what to tell you. Not in an 'I'm clueless' way, but in a 'which insult is the best choice for this situation' way.

you know honestly, I just applaud you for breaking new ground here. your line of reasoning here is reducing cases of sexual assault and rape and exploitation to the same level as "your team takes headshots but my team doesn't". which is hilariously offensive but a great troll

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
(in the midst of a sport-wide reckoning that almost led to the dissolution of the biggest entity in hockey, the ruining of the only dynasty in 40 years, and repeated crises at all levels of youth hockey) Yeah but ouaur fackin' guys didn't do any of that poo poo kid !

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

Hey remember when Auston Matthews was charged with criminal harassment, and then tried to hide it from the team/public? That was loving stupid! Anyway, Patrick Kane is a piece of poo poo.

friend, he looks like this:

everybody already can tell he criminally harasses people

Koopa Kid posted:

This discussion started with "Patrick Kane is a piece of poo poo and it (should be) weird and complicated for fans to think about their team making a big deal in acquiring him," which is true no matter how many other lovely players and teams are out there in the league. Whataboutism is silly and the idea that people shouldn't talk about these things unless their organization/players are spotless is about burying these details and topics, which is a bad thing.

while true, I take issue over people criticizing him over the cab driver incident. that guy was a 62-year-old Polish cabbie who was illegally driving because he'd been suspended for DUIs. 100% chance he deserved a sock for something racist/sexist/bigoted he said that day/week/year.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

T-Bone posted:

it should be weird and complicated for anyone to watch professional hockey, you shouldn't feel good about anything; America, Canada, and professional sports are exceedingly evil and exceedingly entertaining

(Dave Brown rattling-his-two-brain-cells-together-voice) Hey T-Bone! You got those fuckin morals cemented on yeah!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

Also who wants to guess who his favourite active NHLer and offseason mentor is? I'll give you a hint: we've been talking about him on this page.

so if we get Kane and can re-sign him to float around with Bread for a couple of years...

you know what other prematurely balding Hart trophy winner brought a cup to NYC?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I think it's pretty lovely of you to stereotype and make assumptions like this based upon a persons 'look'.

Edit: your cabbie take of 'he deserved it' for arbitrary reasons is impressive as well. Had it coming did he?

you are right, thank you for checking me. I'd like to apologize to all hosed-up looking mustached balding guys and drunk driving cabbies who were offended by my statements.

gently caress!! why

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Tony I know you have the money to change your av. It's 2 teams behind. Come on bud.

Unironically thank you for the reminder.

Now back to hockey: Tony D actually looked good last night. and the Flyers played reasonably hard. Not looking forward to that. I think them and Arizona are gonna have a big impact come playoff time depending on who they end up injuring. Not looking forward to rolling those dice a bunch of times this year.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
great article on The Athletic on Zuccarello + Kaprizov's friendship and chemistry

and a video with some sick passes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCZ8V8dgH-o.

to Minnesota: thank you for taking care of my son.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I think Georgiev is better than he'd been shown, but I was surprised by a 3 year/10m deal when he'd been at .900 for like his last 50 games.

I'm very glad to see it, but I think this is one of the worst times for goalies in a while. or maybe 2005-2020ish was a particularly good time.

some of it is rule changes, but it also seems to be a bigger focus on skill on both ends and yeah that there should be a few more #1 type guys out there.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1582194728677756928?s=20&t=X8PuQKd48fOdsr9_pfCAww

furiously googles "first NHL coach to be fired odds".

i feel like he's insulting all of their stars and Dubas's roster-building, which is wild.

Levitate posted:

Rangers seem like a better team than last year but are iffy on some defense stuff that’s annoying and Igor isn’t quite saving them on every breakdown yet

Need to tighten up some of their back checking and tying up players in front

But the offense is exciting and kids look good

we're definitely playing better. I'm not worried too much about the defense. it's mostly come in garbage time. none of the games have been particularly close, with only Minnesota outplaying them in the first 10. it's great to see. Kakko looks like a beast. he looks like he finally got his big boy strength.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

mennoknight posted:

you guys know it's been like a week right? Dustin Penner once led the league in scoring after 2 weeks

this is the NHL news/views thread, not the NHL "old man speaks on the inevitability of time and the futility of hope" thread

(gets handed a printout of posts from fans of Canadian teams) Getting reports that that is exactly what this thread is

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Simplex posted:

You know who should be panicking after three games is the Wild. Their defense and goaltending do not defend or tend the goal very well.

i think they're still going to be fine. their defense hasn't been atrocious and will tighten up. their goaltending has been atrocious. Gustavsson was even worse/more cursed than Fleury last night. he let in:

-weird rear end tip
https://www.nhl.com/video/meyers-tips-in-opening-goal/t-335386016/c-13204433
-an unbelievably soft backhand goal
https://www.nhl.com/video/girard-scores-goal/t-335386016/c-13204914
-a Tommy Salo special
https://www.nhl.com/video/rantanen-regains-the-lead/t-335386016/c-13206407
-another weird rear end tip
https://www.nhl.com/video/mackinnon-scores-ppg/t-335386016/c-13208117

they still have a core top 4 forwards of Kaprizov-Zuke and Eriksson Ek-Boldy. Boldy in particular looks really good. I think they'll be okay as long as Fleury/Gus get back to "basically competent/bad" instead of "loving hell".

having said that, losing 3 games with that goaltending can really sap a team and get them playing bad otherwise and cause a bad streak. they looked so deflated after a couple of those goals after playing pretty well against the defending champs.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

But will they fire him before the Flyers dump Torts or the Kraken dump Hakstol?

I would be really shocked if Torts gets canned. For one, a lot of the normal non-online-nerd fanbase is probably going to be okay with him. For two, he's pretty good at setting expectations, and he's been saying that he's really starting a culture rebuild, and that it will take a long time. And three, it's early, but they are undoubtedly playing harder than they have in years.

If this was another culture mismatch for him like Vancouver, I would say yeah. But this is an East Coast American team. He'll be there for awhile IMO.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ok so who's getting fired first? Boudreau or Keefe?

The way Boudreau is losing is wild, but you have to believe that it can't continue like that. He'll get a lot of slack just because he's a recent hire, and if you fire him as well that quickly, it starts to look bad on the GM. I would put more money on JR doing some crazy rear end trade again.

The Keefe thing...I can't believe he didn't get fired after last year. I get that Fancy Stats xGF Corsi defending champs, whatever, cool, but you got Auston and Marner are UFAs after next year, and Tavares/Nylander the year after. Not firing him after last year not only puts Dubas's job in jeopardy but Shanny's as well.

If they have early struggles, it could definitely mean an in-season massive blowout/clearout before the year is out of all three, and lord knows who the gently caress they would bring in midseason to right that. They'd have to go with someone from the carousel, so it'd be like:

Marc Bergevin
Bob Murray
Mike Gillis
Dale Tallon
Jim Benning (oh God)
Stan Bowman(oh God)

...more likely they just hire some vet coach and change Shanny/Dubas in the offseason.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

the talent deficit posted:

yes. rutherford/alvin refused to even talk extension with boudreau over the summer and took shots at him in the media for the team's lack of preparation and poor structure trying to get him to decline his option year. then they hired not just one ex-head coach in mike yeo to lurk in the shadows but also another in colliton just in case.

rutherford/alvin were hired after boudreau. no one remembers because who on earth would fire their coach and their gm on back to back days and then hire a coach literally days before hiring a new team president but the canucks think differently or whatever

gently caress me that's crazy. insanely grim to have Mike Yeo waiting in the wings. I'm so sorry

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

I hate this so much and I was hoping it would be a play on the 70s jersey

naw those look too much like the Jets. I like this version of it. I think it'll look nice with the pants. A lot of these, I'd like to see the full uni for.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Based on everything we'd heard and seen over the summer I'd got pretty convinced the Flyers were getting Vancouver Torts and he'd be gone by Christmas. But their play so far suggests they've got Normal Torts and if so they'll be on the fringes of the playoff race and probably finish 4th-6th in the Metro. Getting overachievement from a not very talented team is what he does best, if he doesn't totally lose the room and quit giving a poo poo first.

Too early by far to be confident he's not going to turn out to be Vancouver Torts after all, though. But it does help that the Flyers have no stars.

it's an America/Canada thing for sure. he shouldn't coach in Canada (as evidenced by the fact that he still lived in the US when he coached in Vancouver lol). i'm not convinced he should coach outside of the EST time zone, either, to be honest. his hatred of Canada is the source of one of his best quotes:

Jay Feaster talking about Torts posted:

When we went to Calgary after losing game five here in overtime. So now we're down 3-2, on the road, and the Cup is in the building and he was just masterful at painting the picture, in public, not just to our group, that all the pressure was on them.

"Its hockey night in Canada. All their friends and family are coming in. Everybody. The entire country. The mayor of Canada is in their dressing room!"

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

this is bush league. We're not Philly for gently caress's sake

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Trouba being confused like when you show a lion four chair points, except it's 3 twink Hughes brothers and he's trying to kill all of them

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

It’s insane that Nichushkin had 0 goals in 57 games for Dallas in 2018/19, he has 5 goals and 10pts so far through the first 5 games this year and is driving his line, using his speed, finishing checks and looks like one of the best power forwards in the league.

Player development is so weird

IMO it's that player development often expresses itself via "breakpoints" rather than being a linear thing where some guy gets 10 points, then 20, then 30, etc. The nerd example I would use is character balancing in something like Overwatch. If most of the players in the game have 200 hit points, and one character has a gun that shoots every 1.5 seconds, then boosting that character's damage from 60 to 65 doesn't matter as much as boosting it from 65 to 70, since now 3 shots will kill most players instead of leaving them with 5-20 hit points.

For power forwards, you can go from not winning like any physical battles to winning just about all of them and getting a ton more chances all at once. My personal theory is that these breakpoints happen later for power forwards because so much of their game relies on balance and strength, and those take more time to develop. I think it's also harder for European power forwards because the bigger ice just gives you more time and space and less need for strength. and also also they're not as corn-fed over there like our Big Boys.

Some guys just have games that are particularly suited to it right out of the gate or develop man strength really early, like Lucic, or they have early access to good rear end professional athlete horse steroids from their parents like Thurston and Gorse Tkachuk or Ovechkin. But there's a lot of power forwards that develop later and get good all at once like Hartnell, Simmonds, LeClair, Bertuzzi, hell even Tom Wilson is better at holding onto the puck now.

Kakko has been an absolute bull so far this year which is opening up space for his ridiculous stickhandling, but yeah Nicushkin is a perfect example of that. He was always a good skater, but he really can get to anywhere he needs to go on the ice now. Also the IIHF dropped their doping appeal against him so he can take even more steroids. Good on Colorado to lock him up.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

Tyler Motte got powerplay time tonight and I wasn’t even mad, god drat he owns.

i told you!!! he rules. he's like another Hagelin. fantastic guy that punches way above his weight. can play with any line and in any situation.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

he's like...speedrunning becoming a big-contract pariah with all of the comments he's making. I like Boudreau as a coach, and say what you want about Torts in Vancouver, but I cannot imagine the nuclear-grade meltdown Torts would have if his star center was saying "I don't need to change anything" after giving up a ton of goals and "it's up to them" about the fans throwing jerseys. Someone in Vancouver's gotta pull him aside and tell him to shut his rear end up

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

He just signed a guaranteed megacontract that takes him through the end of his career. He doesn't give a poo poo. He isn't even making a pretense of giving a poo poo. They can't even buy him out for at least like 5 years, if at all.

I feel bad for CAS but on the other hand I'm glad he's going out of his way to add another embarrassment to Aquilini's pile.

I get that. Lord knows as a Rangers fan I get that. I've seen some players get megacontracts and start cruising...but I can't remember a guy just being openly this level of hostile in the first week after signing a contract. Madness

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

he's the best
he's a loving superstar

lmao

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Bettman will defend the Coyotes to the death but let the Thrashers move in a second

RIP. $10 tickets in the upper bowl, your pick of seats in the lower bowl. great place to see a game as an away team.

in more optimistic news, I was looking at the possible USA team for next year's World Cup and it looks great. I came up with:

F: Gaudreau-Matthews-Kane
Connor-Eichel-Guentzel
Tkachuk-J. Hughes-Tkachuk
Kreider-Miller-Robertson

extra/other candidates: Debrincat, Larkin, Pavelski, Thompson, Zegras, Norris(RIP)

D: Slavvin-McAvoy
Hanifin-Fox
Q. Hughes-Carlson

extra/other candidates: Faulk, Krug, Tony D, Seth Jones, McDonagh, Trouba

G: Hellebuyck
Demko
Oettinger

Canada's forwards are better, but I think the US D and definitely goalies are better. I might make a thread for this, because I was looking at Canada's goalies and I may be missing someone but who the gently caress is going to play net for them? Jarry/Binnington/Fleury/Kuemper/Talbot? Logan Thompson?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Wonderllama posted:

Sex pests are just the new enforcers and every team has to have one to protect the reputation of star players

Sean Avery predicted all dis...

Pungry posted:

I think it'll be unquestionably Jarry and Kuemper as the main two, and then Maple Leafs legend James Reimer as the 3rd.

that's wild. I think Jarry is a pretty good goalie but that's pretty clearly Canada's worst-ever goalie duo/trio. I think the US might be favored against something like:

F: Marner-McDavid-Stamkos
Huberdeau-Sid-MacKinnon
Marchand-O’Reilly-Stone
Duchene-Kadri-Point
ex: Scheifele? Reinhart? Thomas? Kyrou? Bedard? Tavares?

D: Toews-Makar
Rielly-Ekblad
Theodore-Pietrangelo
ex: Letang, Weegar, Hamilton? Doughty?

G: Jarry
Kuemper
Binnington

i'm sure I'm forgetting someone. I think the US's roster is better than that.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 26, 2022

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

DancingMachine posted:

Sorry I'm a bit of a hockey newbie: I think I vaguely understand what xGoals are, and xgoals per 60 minutes makes sense to me as a way to rank defender pairings. But I don't know what "xgoal%" is or why that would be better than xgoals per 60? It's weird to me that a couple of Kraken defender pairings show up in the list but actually appear to have pretty mediocre xgoal per 60 minute scores (and generally it seemed commonly accepted to me that Kraken defense is bad).

I'm a Kraken fan btw, obviously that's why I'm new. Hi NHL thread peeps!

The Kraken and the Devils for the last couple of years (the Kraken less so than the Devils) have been ranked pretty highly by the advanced stats nerds in terms of "expected goals". Most of the public data says that it's more of a problem with Seattle + NJ's goalies playing like dog poo poo instead of their team defense being bad.

That said, that public data has blind spots (IIRC it doesn't take into account whether a shot happened right after a pass, which we know from other data is more likely to be a goal). The Devils have been "underperforming" for years, and the Kraken have Dave Hakstol as a coach, who apparently throws a wrench into these things, as the available stats can't compensate for his lovely defensive system or whatever.

So: I would take those rankings with a big dose of salt. The sample size is obviously small, but they're still fairly flawed, even if they're the best hard data stats available. Unfortunately, there wasn't a 20 year boom period of publicly available research and stat tracking before teams wised up like in baseball. All of the good poo poo goes directly to teams now, even if it's fairly clear most don't use it and instead rely on Grit Score, Toughness Factor, Big Body +/-, etc.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

DancingMachine posted:

Got it, thanks! So ranking defenders by that seems weird right? Because xG% seems like it is a 5 man effort, while xGA / 60 seems more targeted at the defense specifically? (obviously the other 3 guys play a role there as well, but at least it's a bit more specific to the defender)

Not really, to be honest. Hockey is such a team sport and defensemen are increasingly part of the offense. This has been a trend going back 50 years to Bobby Orr, who revolutionized the sport in the west by being the first guy to do it, and by the increasing philosophical prevalence of "defenders have to join the offense" (the old Soviet teams revolutionized this, as they brought "total hockey" or "positionless hockey" to the sport and dominated). Teams have realized that puck possession and controlling the play is better than just "defending", so a lot of the guys that would be the "best" at xGA / 60 are actually just the guys who don't ever give up the puck and keep the puck in the offensive zone. The best defense is a good offense, etc.

You'll still see stuff on broadcasts about "this guy is in the top 5 in blocks AND hits". Generally speaking, if you're near the top as a defenseman for blocks and hits, you're probably giving up a ton of chances every game, otherwise how would you have the opportunity to hit and block that many shots? Even if you play against really tough competition and play a lot of minutes, it's generally not a good sign if you are hitting a lot and blocking a lot of shots. You'd rather be taking shots. This is also the reason why players who have more "giveaways" generally tend to be better players--they have the puck a lot more and are focused more on offense.

xG% is fine to rank defenders as a starting point. It's also helpful to look at who the defenders play with. NHL teams don't really run consistent 5-man units (I wish!) like the Soviets did, but generally better players play with better players, especially offensively. The Rangers, mine and God's favorite team, tend to play our rookie 3rd-line defensive pairing with our 4th-line. It's, uh, very hard to have good stats and look good with our 4th line in particular, so those two defenseman generally get the shorter end of the stick.

It's not as easy as in baseball with something like WAR, or even basketball when the best players are out there for 4/5ths of the game. xG% is fine to start with, then look at teammates, context, deployment, etc.

Here's a clip because I'm an unapologetic fanboy about the Soviet teams that describes their contribution to hockey strategy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv3B-MLt8q8

The whole doc is really good if you're getting more into hockey!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Starsfan posted:

Well at a very basic level the job of a hockey team is to score more goals on the opponent than they allow, so trying to record whether that is happening while an individual player is on the ice is a reasonable thing to do, whether their primary job is scoring goals or preventing goals. There is a metric called plus minus which was kind of viewed this way by hockey traditionalists, which was simply the difference between the number of goals scored vs. allowed while an individual player was on the ice at 5v5 (actually also included goals scored while on the PK and allowed while on the PP but in a large part it was a 5v5 stat). The thing is people realized that there were things happening on the ice and influencing these goal totals that were hypothesized to be largely outside of an individual player's control (the shooting / goaltending "luck" at either end of the rink while they were on the ice*). The expected goals formulas are an attempt to normalize shooting and goaltending out of the equation and just look at how many events are happening at what locations on the ice to get an idea of who is doing a good job of driving play.

*The question of whether players can influence the shooting outcomes of other players for or against while on the ice is highly contentious.

This is a good example of what I was talking about when I mentioned earlier that the teams have the best access to the good poo poo. Former NHL goalie and current Rangers TV analyst Steve Valiquette has a company that he owns that tracks way more poo poo than what's in the public and sells that to NHL teams:

They claim to track passes that lead to high-percentage scoring chances, and as a teaser put out their ranking of the top guys:

as well as for both medium-and-high:

But we don't have public insight into that methodology, data, etc., so while the intuitive thing would be to say "of course some players influence shooting outcomes of other players, look up Rob Brown's stats when he played with Lemieux", it's really hard to prove that with the data we have.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
do the Devils have three guys that can go? we're dressing Reaves/Carpenter/Blais as our 4th line right now.

(Carl Weathers voice) you mix that with a couple of Cam Janssens and Mike Pelusos and you got a line brawl goin.

would be good to see another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Zodijackylite posted:

Including juniors and minors, Blais has been in three fights and Carpenter in eight. Reaves has 150+, for comparison.

Blais looks like he lost the ability to turn at high speeds and Carpenter is lucky to be in the NHL. they better fuckin fight