Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Holed up in the hospital after emergency gallbladder surgery

Thought they would only do some tests but they speedran the entire process

Be glad they did. The normal process is going through a bunch of hoops for 4-5 weeks just to get the same procedure you just had.

Enjoy your weak abdomen for a few months but a lifetime of more comfort without having gallstones develop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Joey Freshwater posted:

Lol my gf is drunk and confused as why. She bought some new beer earlier but didn’t realize they were 10% she’s had 5 of them

A long time ago I settled in for a solo watch of Jesus Christ vampire hunter with a half dozen la fin du monds and I somewhat disassociated after an hour

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm like 99% sure the only reason super hoppy IPAs became a thing was just because they were 7%+ abv. In my table waiting days I would go to this kinda fancy bar, except they also sold pints of Racer 5 (7.5% iirc) for four bucks during happy hour.

My whole neighborhood has been drinking goose island hazy ipas for months because they're between 7 and 9.9% abv and constantly on sale at the nearest liquor store for 10 bucks a 12 pack.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

a neat cape posted:

I've finished Star Trek

All of it

Time for Stargate, the most superior of all Star associated media

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Leperflesh, make sure to check your the state's unclaimed property division. The records should be digitized and searchable. I know families like yours who have found 5 figures in checks that never got cashed and went to state custody after a half decade.

Heck, everyone should check their names yearly. I have found lots of utility refunds after moving apartments that never made it to me, and getting $20-50 is always a nice little gift to get.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh poo poo once I got the claim ID email it says it’s for $485.91

Happy holidays!

I just checked my own name and there's 3 "refunds" by the health system who keeps sending me bills for other visits, since they're too stupid to just apply it as a credit to my account.

It's really silly to have to do this but maybe I can make it into a fun annual tradition and host a party where friends gather and fill out forms and whoever gets the most cash back buys shots.

And yeah, the medical system stinks. Right now I'm sitting in a hospital room discussing with various doctors how to send my mom home, but the "formulary" for the pharmacy doesn't allow a medicine she needs to be in hospice at home. Such a mess, and this is with standard Medicare, so the easiest version of dealing with these issues.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 4, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I got $20 coming from Best Buy apparently, but they want proof of me living at an address I haven't been at for almost 20 years. So, guess that's gone ...

I've printed out emails that had my old addresses and gotten money that way. The bar is very low, use your imagination on what can work.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

wandler20 posted:

Modern video games with their multiple gigabyte updates are infuriating. I just want to sit down and play the drat game.

I tried to load up Lego fortnite at my mom's house on a laptop and it was 50gb, her connection maxed out at 1 MB a second so I just gave up and did used wifi in town later in the day. It's crazy to me the most basic games like that can take up so much space, when mgsv was 22gb or so.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Bird in a Blender posted:

Good for Ohtani but I kind of hate it for baseball. Mostly just because the dodgers have dominated the NL for a long time already and now will continue to do so. At least he gets paid. Wish the Cubs could’ve got him but that’s a ton of money.

Every other team lucked out that the money is So Much; fans aren't going to be angry at not spending that. Even if Ohtani wasn't coming off an injury it would still be a preposterous amount

SundayMoney posted:

Went and saw the new Godzilla today, was an excellent movie and glad my whole family went.

It's fantastic! Most fun I've had in a theater since Top Gun 2. I feel like it has a shot at making some serious revenue and opening up the American audience to more foreign language blockbusters, which will be great.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

LeeMajors posted:

just setting 700m on fire to keep losing to the Braves :laffo:

I remember when ARods 252m contract was inconceivable. :corsair:

I can't find good historical data but the A-rod contract is worth about 450m now, so this is the first one to really blow past it. There's probably some old timey guy whose inflation adjusted contract is more, but maybe not without the modern TV contract revenue

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

wandler20 posted:

It's not great. Grandparents get our kids so much every year. There's toys from years ago that are still unopened. I've donated countless brand new toys to local places.

This is why I just keep pointing towards Legos, because worst case you end up with more Legos for a giant creation.

I was sad to start giving away the hess trucks this year, those were the premiere gift for age 2-6 I think. But my kids cousin is playing with them very happily now

Re: slime, we did a Slime Birthday Party at the park district last year and it was a huge hit. The kids got insanely worked up making their own slime and were bouncing off the walls, but hey, no mess at home.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

T-Square posted:

Had to turn around and tell a group of dudes to shut up or get the gently caress out 30 minutes into Godzilla, seems like every other time I go out and spend money to see a movie people ruin it

I seriously don’t get it

Were they just talking nonstop? That's not a situation I've really ever been in

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Forrest on Fire posted:

Now that I've been living with a chemo patient for a few days I can say not only does cancer suck it's also very gross.

I'm near the end of going through this myself of a parent, while she wasn't on chemo she had a lot of nausea issues from the cancer and issues with being backed up too that went the other way when we used miralax.

You might be able to contact palliative care to help. We did them first then hospice, and it sounds too early for hospice for you but palliative can be a big help if it's integrated well in the care plan.

But im not a medical professional, just my singular experience

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

COVID finally hit my house, my wife just tested positive. Kid and I are negative for now, but looks like we'll mostly be holing up for a while. Still holding out some hope that we'll all be in the clear by Christmas, but it's cutting it close. Wife and I both got boosters recently, so I'm hoping we can fend this off.

My wife & I just tested positive today (first time ever getting it for me). What a bummer. I'm gonna hop on paxlovid (since I'm not recently boosted and she is) and likely will rebound as positive on christmas day.

And my sister is freaking out because she's been at the hospital for a week with our dying parent, and thinks she can't visit if she caught COVID from us when we visited two days ago, let alone how this might impact funeral planning.

Leperflesh posted:

thanks, everyone. No, she wasn't in any pain at the end. My stepdad played her favorite music and she vaguely responded to it, although she wasn't mouthing the lyrics any more and she hadn't been responsive to simple instructions (like "move your hand") for a week+. She was totally at peace.

Kalli I'm wishing your mom good luck. Cancer treatments right now are amazing. It's no guarantee but survivability is so much higher now than it was even ten years ago.

Sorry to hear that. It's awful to go through this. My mom's going through something different than yours (pancreatic cancer) but losing a mom is terrible no matter the cause

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 19, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

GD_American posted:

My parents are very very big on "don't leave your loved ones homework". Everything's planned, paid for, and listed. I've talked it out with them (I have two older sisters; Dad made me the executor because the oldest is very bipolar and lazy, and he's ok with them thinking he's just sexist) and we've even rehearsed what to do.

My mom did the same thing, but when it gets down to brass tacks it's hard to remember where everything is and how it's laid out. My personal issue today is trying to figure out if the funeral was pre paid, I'll have to call around or dig through bank records, but I'm sick enough with COVID I couldn't get it done.

Our other big problem is my mom had moved into her dad's home after he passed since the family wanted it to stay kept up, but the 9 siblings never went through all the possessions. So now we have to determine what was hers and what wasn't. We had time to do this and just...didn't spend time on that and spent quality time instead, so it's all ok.

For cremation, we had planned to put the ashes with some new trees at our extended family's cabin, but my uncle (with a forestry degree) pointed out you run the risk of those trees dying which would be awful. So going to spread them at the base of a nice healthy tree he can identify for us.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

So speaking of all the end of life thoughts lately, a friend of mine needs advice on seeking out elder care (in IL) and resources for funding it. Her dad has early onset dementia (at 60) and it's severely affecting her mom's life as his caregiver, as well as him of course. They would love to get him into a home where he can be more stimulated as well as free up her mom's life.

I haven't dealt with that issue directly but received this recommendation when looking for help with caregiving for my MIL
https://ellineeliasoff.com/

Having an expert who can point you in the right direction seems like the best place to start.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

You know, I liked Christmas a lot more before I had a kid.

Really, why? I like it a lot more now that I have one.

In other news I went to go grill last night, opened it up, and two mice were staring up at me. Gave up for the night, wasn't mentally ready for that

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Mostly because every year my house fills up with more plastic junk. I then get to spend the week after Christmas sorting through toys and taking them to the thrift store to be “donate” when I know I’m mostly just transferring the job of throwing it away to someone else. Everyone wants to know what your kid wants for Christmas, and we have like 6 different people who want to buy him things. We end up with a lot of duplicate stuff, or just general crap because someone felt obligated to get him toys. All this plastic junk gives me anxiety.

Meanwhile, all the things I used to enjoy, taking time off work, seeing friends visiting from out of state, doing some home projects, all get pushed aside because I have a kid who is home from school for two weeks and I need to find things to do with him.

Makes sense. I'm stuck in a semi-hoarder house so a few more items don't bother me too much. I've also pushed a lot for Legos as gifts over the last 3 years because worst case I can play with them down the road.

I actually don't like my kid's shift to wanting video games, even if it does mean less clutter.

As for the people to see, that ship has sailed a long time ago due to everyone's marital Christmas obligations. Very rare for anyone to be around at the same time. It's cool you're even getting to do a modicum of that.

And taking time off work gives me anxiety so it's funny to read someone who looks forward to it. I worked hourly jobs for a decade to scrape by and hated missing those hours, and even now at a salaried job I just worry about everything piling up.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Timby posted:

Merry Christmas, y'all. I'm sober, my fiancée is coming over with baked ziti in a little bit and I'm home instead of in a hospital bed. (Edit: And my landlord gave me the OK to adopt a cat, despite a "no pets" clause in my lease; we're going to go to the humane society after the new year.)

Love all y'all.

Hell yeah, merry Christmas. I hope you find a cat who purrs loudly

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

T-Square posted:

Did you guys know that specifically the Extended Edition of The Fellowship of the Ring does not play on PS4 or PS5? Two Towers and Return of the King do, but not The Fellowship!

That was interesting to read about on Reddit after managing to find all three editions in good condition at a couple of different pre-owned shops in preparation for our Christmas LotR watch with friends yesterday!

What the heck, why doesn't it play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Nervous posted:

Can you name this road TFF? Had to go to the next town over for weed today.

To hilly to be in Illinois