Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Get yer stickers now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

OgNar posted:

Looks like a new Freelancer is coming our way.
With single player, pvp and co-op.

Demo here https://pastaspace.itch.io/underspace
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1111930/Underspace/

Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgPnmJQeDyU

Thanks for the heads up. This looks very promising and the surreal twist is refreshing.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1631720198330802183

I know this is just brands interacting. But what if.... it's Crimson Skies?

Don't do that. Don't give me hope.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

For anybody picking up Rebel Galaxy Outlaw: LOWER YOUR PC's/SPEAKERS VOLUME WHEN STARTING THE GAME. It has to be one of the loudest loving games I've had the displeasure of launching; once I could get into the menu I had to drop all volume sliders to something stupidly low like 10% for it to stop trying to blow out my speakers (and eardrums).

Fun game, but gently caress that default volume.

Yes, the volume levels seem very uneven and audio is poorly done overall. Music will sometimes get too loud to make out anything else and the spoken lines come out oddly uneven. The dialogue issue was especially bad and noticeable in the wingman missions.

Nice little game, though.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

How does the combat feel? I was looking for a decent Diablo-ish game to play on the deck and it looks like it has controller input. Reviews are pretty negative but maybe that's the offline vs online thing.

Adding to what Ghostlight said, as I've also been trying out the game after a long pause, my experience has been overall positive. The team kept working on it after launch and it shows. The worst bugs seem to have been squashed, although there are some which have been introduced along the latest big update, but if their Discord communications are to be believed those are being dealt with ASAP.

The game has always felt very impactful to me. That's one of the things they got right even at launch. In fact to me its much better at delivering a visceral punchy feel than Diablo 3, which I've always felt was smooth, but oddly "detached." I can't come up with a better word for it. The Blizzard polish was there, but something else was missing.

I agree with Ghostlight in that the skill tree could be better, but it helps that you can mix and match the nodes for your melee, ranged or magic character. Making hybrids is actually doable. The fact that you can rotate each tier-circle makes it easier to formulate a build, adding different defensive, offensive and utility mechanics.

My online experience has been seamless, with around 39ms line to the Frankfurt server whenever I played. I've had no lost progression, or lag spikes, even when playing in the same session with a friend (he was hosting). So I guess your mileage may vary, but at least you can go into the settings and try out different servers.

Wolcen is far from perfect, but right now it's good value for money, despite a very rocky initial release.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

explosivo posted:

Wolcen seems fine and possibly even good after the updates, it's cool to see that they continued supporting it in spite of the lukewarm reception at launch. That said, I'm so glad Last Epoch exists because it's better in just about every way and it means I don't have to play Wolcen to get my ARPG fix from a game that didn't come from Blizzard.

Yeah, Last Epoch is probably a much better experience than Wolcen, even if the latter has made substantial improvements. Then again LE might have some growing pains of its own and who knows what will happen with it. It's also naturally more expensive.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Zereth posted:

I believe you needed the CD in the drive for anything but a Humongous installation.

Yup, that was it.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

bbcisdabomb posted:

Looks like more Remnant 1, which means I'll probably pick it up. Hopefully there won't be a boss you have to fight on a bridge this time.

That goddamn megamoth killed me so many times.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Deakul posted:

If y'all want to play a good anime FPS go play SHOGO Mobile Armor Division.

It's by Monolith, the Blood/No One Lives Forever/FEAR/Shadow of Mordor guys.

And it has totally normal gore!

This was some crazy stuff back in the day. It really stood out in the genre, despite being pretty unpolished.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

kazil posted:

The jedi use the Force to disappear their poops

You're thinking of the Sith.

"Quicker, easier, more seductive, like a vanishing turd."

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

skeletronics posted:

I'd played a bit of Remnant after getting it for free on EGS a while ago. I bought it on steam today. I basically paid 24 dollars to not have to open the epic launcher. To my surprise, the steam version automatically recognized and used the save from the epic version. That was an unexpected bonus. I wasn't very far into the game and it's been so long I might want to start over anyway, but still pretty cool.

It's got good world design and fun co-op. Difficulty scaling can be fiddly in multiplayer, though.

Orv posted:

I loved the first Remnant and they released some footage of the second one recently and have been thinking about maybe what I want isn’t in fact exactly more of the first game. I think I’d be feeling that less if the area they showed wasn’t just the exact area from the first game with UE5 shininess but it’s odd to think about. Guess I do want at least a little iteration there.

I'm with you there. Continuation of the story isn't exactly drawing me in either.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

fit em all up in there posted:

Any opinions on void bastards ?

Very mediocre. It has some fun ideas, but the execution falls a bit short.

Art style and general world design is solid though.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Yeah, that's a dead studio walking.

"Sure, there's ten thousand gallons of chum in the water, but the closest shark is at least a mile away."

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Orv posted:

Alpha Protocol is the one and only game that actually delivers on the choices matter schtick, the end slides stuff of some CRPGs doesn’t really count in the same way, so I don’t even really consider it a BioWare-like. Fair though.

The whole Bond-Bourne-Bauer approach to dialogue was a great idea and made replays that much more fun.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

KazigluBey posted:

Things from established Open World Design that Elden Ring could have learned from and used to their benefit:

Can't believe people uncritically praised the game and called it GOTY when it was missing such core design pillars...

And now people are doing the same with Baldur's Gate III?! Slap in the face to decades of AAA luminaries.

If you can't use a credit card to trivialize challenges and skip progress, then can it even be called AAA?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Assepoester posted:

Yeah, Agents of Mayhem felt like the most "designed for coop" game to ever exist without actual coop

One of the most baffling game design decisions ever.

Even the marketing was a bit misleading with regards to that.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Koburn posted:

Leaks for the Sept Humble Choice are out, we got:

bore derlands
dead battle royale
skyrim mod
card

Looks like a wet fart.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

ymgve posted:

also "only the first install" means they are either bullshitting or use extra data (hi EU!) to track users across OS reinstalls

It's absolutely hilarious that they didn't consider the ramifications of calling judicial attention to their actions.

This is basically the company going "Hey EU legislation, please gently caress us into the dirt."

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
You have gained brozouf.

EYE is a wild ride, but a fun one. All I'll say is that the true "ending" requires multiple playthroughs.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Zetsubou-san posted:

it worse than that, it's the same game twice

A cage within a cage, if you will.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

It has really neat combat system with some similar ideas to Diablo 3. It's one of the extremely few diablo-likes that actually has abilities interact with each other, and isn't just about number stacking.
I found messing around with builds a lot of fun in Last Epoch.

Unfortunately multiplayer in that game is still a complete loving mess, and it takes 30 to 60 seconds to change the map if you're trying to play coop.
Offline works perfectly fine though.

Can confirm. For me it has been well worth the price. They just shifted the release window to next year, due to Path of Exile 2, so maybe that will give enough time to get the multiplayer functionality on track. I certainly hope so, because otherwise the game is solid and the team has plenty of gas in the tank development-wise.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Last Epoch also has plenty of unique items, which can modify the way certain skill or mechanics operate.

For example, there is the Herald of Scurry helmet for the Primalist class, which converts your wolf skill summons to squirrels, except you can have twice as many of them.

All I'm saying is that the squirrelmancer is a fun build.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Pwnstar posted:

Outer Worlds is a good game, just not a good Obsidian game.

This is a pretty good way to put it. It was enjoyable enough.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Figured it out! The app forgot that it already has my phone number, maybe because I haven't logged in for a while. I tapped "I no longer have access" and it just sent a confirmation to the phone number like usual. :thumbsup:

The app is designed by a literal idiot.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Azran posted:

Grim Dawn's not just getting a new expansion in 2024, it's also getting a pretty great patch on November 16th.

I've been looking forward to this. Last Epoch is fun, but it's also good to go back to the old reliable. Still undecided on which class to pick.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Mr E posted:

They already made the perfect game for me, Marvel Heroes, and it no longer exists or I would be one of those 15000 hour dumbasses.

Amen brother.

I went cosmic with literally every character. Yes, even that one.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

FutureCop posted:

Divinity Original Sin 2: I'm gonna get some flak for saying this, but...I think I might refund. No, I'm not saying its a bad game, certainly not: it seems incredibly impressive and I was enjoying the story interactions and so on. But it just seems like such a huge, slow and overwhelming game: so many choices for builds that I don't know whether I'm screwing myself over by not optimizing my party for magical or physical, so many items and clutter in the environment that I don't know what I should keep and what is worthless, combat is such a chore waiting for everything to take their bloody turn and so many fights just being all the same, and so many quests and choices and what should I do for the best experience reward and blah blah blah. I think I'm just slowly accepting that I'm a big casual baby who prefers a more lite RPG experience like we saw in previous games mentioned, and I don't have time for these big 100-hour-plus ones. Doesn't help either that I already have Baldur's Gate 3 (though I'll admit that I do enjoy the removal of DnD concepts here like limited spell slots and low accuracy, so if I actually had an option, I'd probably trade them for one another, but that window has passed).

Yeah, this echoes my experiences. I don't mind huge and detailed game worlds, but in my case DOS2 didn't get the mixture of ingredients right. It often felt aimless, bloated and confusing, despite the quality of hard work that obviously went into everything. Some stuff was just bad, though. Inventory management and dealing with quest related items was an absolute nightmare. The vague quest log was practically useless after a long break.

Still, it's a great game and I'm sure to be in the minority, but I lost track of how many times I would start up the game, load up a save, then shut it down again five minutes later. I bought the game shortly after launch in 2017. I finished my first playthrough two days a go.

Even if my current computer was able to run Baldur's Gate 3, I would've avoided the purchase. It looks too much alike.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Azran posted:

After an amazing initial impression, Jagged Alliance 3 drops the ball so hard with one of the most massive difficulty spikes I've ever seen in an XCom-like. It went from an easy 10 and GOTY to something I don't think I'll ever replay. You go from fighting numerous but poorly-equipped mooks to excelently-equipped enemies with skills and equipment like yours, but who are still just as numerous as before. Most of the new enemies get to shoot as soon as the battle starts, their snipers can crit-kill your less resilients mercenaries from behind cover, at night, from off-screen, and even if you take full cover half their squads are equipped with AoE stun grenade launchers who reduce your action points and force you to wait a bit on the campaign layer before continuing on your way.

It all starts with an ambush battle where your team is betrayed and left in a wide open position surrounded by these enemies unless you reload after the betrayal and open fire first before talking to the NPC that triggers the ambush. Cheesing the fight is the only way to have your team in any sort of advantageous position. The story fight before the ambush is a siege against 30 or so of the previously mentioned badly-equipped troops so it's very likely you're low on supplies. And the main port away from that area of the map is where the ambush happens so unless you manually maneuver around it, the autopathing will dump you straight into the ambush.

But the bullshit doesn't stop on the strategic layer either, because at this point you might hold over half the map, you may have trained militia to defend it from enemy attacks and items you purchased have to arrive from off-map and into a port so you might even have supplies in one or two places. Plus, you also have your diamond mines, which have been providing a steady income supply which you need to keep your mercs hired (they will leave if you can't pay them). As soon as you win the ambush fight, a dozen squads of these enemies spawn and start taking the entirety of the map, effortlessly dealing with the militia you trained and barely suffering any casualties in the process (8 militia will at most kill 1 or 2 guys out of a squad of 8-10). Training militia costs you time and money which you won't have a lot of at the beginning, so it makes that whole side of the tactical layer a trap choice unless you know what's going to happen. These squads will capture every single mine, city and outpost you may have had, essentially cutting you off from supplies and money unless you retake them, which is an ordeal unless you know this is all going to happen and made a safety net in advance and left another squad of well-armed mercs to defend it.

I have 25 hours into the game and easily fought over 50, and the last 5 hours are just from endlessly reloading these 2 fights to avoid getting half my team crippled beyond recovery. It's like someone looked at the Riovannes Castle fight in Final Fantasy Tactics and went 'nah, I can do better'.

I had high hopes for this, but apparently the designers came up with something truly moronic.

One Youtuber did a deep dive review of it and explained how, after a certain point, every battle devolved into a single working solution. The whole Player team would lie down in permanent overwatch, just waiting for the enemy to pop their head out into the line of fire. Thrilling action it was not, but any other choice would lead into getting their mercs turned into mulch.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

The enemy levelling in the Gothic games is perfect.

There isn't any.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

Who finishes Ubisoft games. You play until you get bored. I’ve never had one last over fifty hours much less whatever hundred plus hours it takes to finish one. Still can be a fine enough ride for a while especially since you can always find a cheap way to play them

I do, but tend to take "weeks off" on my way to 100% completion. That said, I have no doubt that I'm in the minority.

The Ubi game design formula is not a bad one, but it definitely can cause burnout if that's all you're playing.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

This looks like someone told an AI to "just throw some game UI poo poo together" and left it at that.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

D.Fuzzbot posted:

How many folks here have actually played their copy of E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy?

To 100% completion. What a ride.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Is there a thread for Enshrouded? I can't seem to find it :ohdear:

How do I know which Flame Shrines I've looted already? Or do they respawn and generate more Sparks?
And what's the difference between a Flame Shrine and Flame Sanctum? Because they have the same icon on the map :shrug:

Shrines are in an open area, Sanctums are buildings. Both respawn upon loading up the world, same as every other thing beyond your homebase area.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

I actually think Enshrouded looks more interesting. It seems like it is iterating on some of the better parts of Valheim and I'd like something similar to that game based more on exploring than Ark style monster raising/training/etc. I haven't heard if it's in a good state already or this is an early rough launch.

I came to the same conclusion and bought in. Enshrouded is very impressive already and they have nailed the most important things down. I haven't come across any significant bugs after 15 hours of play, but the game still needs some polishing. More specifically, certain actions feel a bit too floaty and lack impact, although they do trigger almost as soon as you push a button. I've also heard that some people are experiencing performance issues with hitching framerates, but my rig has had no issues at all. Occasionally the high definition textures on an area will take additional time to load in, but even that hasn't affected actual gameplay. Luckily the devs are very communicative and are collecting player input for their list of upcoming improvements. For an early access game, it's in a surprisingly solid condition, especially considering how massive the entire map is.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Just keep adding those A's. Surely that will improve the quality of the products.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

FishMcCool posted:

Of course, there's also Warframe, which is literally an AABC game.

Well done.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

Server issues aside, any verdict on Last Epoch?

It is ace-credible and even comes with an actual honest to God offline-mode, so if you want to just solo, there's zero friction from release week woes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Jimbot posted:

My memory of that game is from an old CGW (GFW) podcast where Jeff Green bashes it and keeps interrupting someone trying to defend it then yells "The game sucked!" It's amazing.

The Black Dragon himself. That takes me back.