Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
I'm going to make a bold statement to get to the bottom of this slapfight: both parties are on the same scale of effectiveness/ineffectiveness when it comes to achieving their agenda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Byzantine posted:

No, turns out they were all loving liars and cowards that immediately collapsed and started killing progressive legislation and breaking strikes the instant Mama Pelosi looked at them.

What progressive legislation has the squad been killing? And should I not vote for that “loving liar and coward” Omar next year?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Byzantine posted:

They agreed to split BBB from the Infrastructure Bill so BBB could be killed in the Senate back in 2021, then likewise split the progressive parts off the railroad bill so the Senate could kill it and then voted to break the strike anyway.

That's not the squad killing legislation.... that's them voting for something that had 0% of passing otherwise....

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Gyges posted:

It's also presupposing that Joe "I Long To Cut SS/Medicare" Biden and the Very Serious Business Liberals don't try and actually cut a deal instead of forcing a clean raise through.

Ah, yes, similar to when Obama agreed to cut the ACA back in 2013-2014 when he was resolving the debt ceiling/government shutdown. Those Democrats just love losing, I don't understand why!

Kalit fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 9, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Gyges posted:

I'm sorry, are you saying that Joe Biden, Democratic Leadership and every Democrat President since at least Carter haven't tried to bargain with the Republicans to cut SS and other entitlements? Because that's what I was talking about, not trying to get Obama to wreck up the accomplishment he's most proud of.

Your response was involved in the conversation that stemmed from FlamingLiberal talking about raising the debt ceiling while the Republicans were in control of the House. Which is exactly what Obama did without folding to a bunch of their demands and why I thought it was a relevant point.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

I wonder what they found out that convinced them to throw him under the bus?

https://twitter.com/duty2warn/status/1613016648574996482

This twitter account definitely looks like a conspiracy theory account. Surprisingly enough, it looks like this news is true, but I beg you to never get any of your news from a Twitter account that is not associated with any news source and has a weird cropped screenshot as its "source".

As far as the story itself, it's just the local GOP party. Until the national Republican party starts speaking out/taking action, Santos won't have to worry about being forced out of office.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 11, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Can't do anything about an elected congressman, but you will need to start fundraising for 2024 and it's better to distance yourself from the rotten egg as much as you can to assure donors that it won't happen again?

If he's not forced to resign by the national party, I'd be shocked if the local GOP party still opposes him in 6 months. Or if any previous donors even remembers/cares about this.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the issue I have with educational matters is balancing pertinence to the curriculum and creating access for students. I don't really love a teacher choosing to present a piece of art knowing a lot of their class can't engage in the art, limiting their access. And you functionally get caught in a catch-22 with this. Either the professor had a major piece of the curriculum which some of your students can't access in which case the question becomes is there another way to deliver the intended teaching points or it's not a minor feature of the curriculum in which case, is accommodating and not including it, reasonable?

You can make the argument that there is clear warning with the syllabus, but I'm not sure that I fully buy into that. There have been similar cases of transphobic professors making their preferences for not using pronouns that differ form perceived gender. Beyond any correct beliefs about how gender works, the issue is that the professor is creating an environment that limits access to students.

Of course there is a reasonability of accommodation, but I think I would want more context. Moral panics have been driven by vague attacks on educational freedom while ignoring the nuances of what actually happened.

Just as an FYI, there was more warning than only in the syllabus. The linked article is pretty vague and states:

quote:

Dr. Erika López Prater, an adjunct professor at Hamline, says she had previously warned students in the syllabus and in class that images of holy figures, including the Prophet Muhammad and the Buddha, would be presented.

For a little more specifics on what the in class warning was, you can find it in this local article:

quote:

On the syllabus, López Prater noted she would show images of religious figures — listing the Prophet Muhammad, Jesus Christ and the Buddha as examples — and encouraged students to reach out to her with concerns. She said none did.

The discussion on Islamic art was originally scheduled for Oct. 4, but was postponed two days and moved online as López Prater's family recovered from COVID-19.

López Prater said she spent "at least a couple minutes" preparing students for the images, explaining why she felt the artworks were significant. She said she tried to provide audio narration for students who didn't want to look.

Wedatalla said she heard the professor give a "trigger warning," wondered what it was for "and then I looked and it was the prophet."

She said she was offended and the warning wasn't adequate. Noting she pays the same tuition and has to meet the same graduation requirements as other students, she asked: "Why do I have to look away?"

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

The student is also the president of the Muslim student association. It appears likely that they attended the class with the goal of ending the practice/getting the instructor removed. As per the article, CAIR's state organ had an immediate press statement, but a review of their press materials and recent activity suggests they're unlikely to be sophisticated enough to have arranged this themselves.

Discendo Vox posted:

I take back it not being a planned action by CAIR-MN; I hadn't realized the student's comments were delivered at a CAIR-MN press event. This video was actually linked in the first linked story; the imam being quoted was also quoted from the same event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnbH7YogP1U

Where do you see that CAIR had an immediate press statement? That CAIR press event shown in that news story was from today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWbknyjyXSY

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

koolkal posted:

Sounds like the professor gave warnings and the real issue here is really whether the art should have been allowed to be shown at all, not the manner in which it was shown or how many warnings were given.

Like, the quote from the student itself frames it this way too: Noting she pays the same tuition and has to meet the same graduation requirements as other students, she asked: "Why do I have to look away?"

At least according to a professor at University of Michigan, it doesn't sound rare for Prophet Muhammad to be shown within academia:

quote:

Dr. Gruber said that showing Islamic art and depictions of the Prophet Muhammad have become more common in academia, because of a push to “decolonize the canon” — that is, expand curriculum beyond a Western model.

Granted, you could make the argument that all of the professors who do this are wrong, but this is definitely far from the only occurrence.

Discendo Vox posted:

Yep, same day as the university president's statement, with the student onstage.

Oh sorry, I thought you meant the same day as when the news came out about the student's complaint.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I feel like this is a sufficiently political current event: back in 2022, at Hamline University, a fairly obscure Minnesotan institution with a large Muslim student population, an adjunct professor of art history showed her students a picture of Muhammad. She warned students on the syllabus and during the lecture, and gave them every chance to look away, but one business major still beheld the hideous blasphemy and complained to the manager about it. The university immediately called the professor an Islamophobe and declined to renew her adjunct contract.

Here's one of many articles about it: https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/academic-freedom-questioned-after-image-of-prophet-muhammad-shown-in-hamline-university-art-class/

In my opinion, the students who are pissed shouldn't be pissed, but they're early 20-somethings who belong to a despised and targeted ethnic-religious cohort so it's easy to understand why they'd be so sensitive to any potential insult. It's the university's job to make the students feel heard while maintaining the professor's right to use whatever instructional materials are appropriate. They hosed up and I hope there are serious consequences because academic freedom is a right earned by and for laborers.

This original story is from pages ago, but figured a follow up might be of interest to those here.

First came a statement last week from the national branch of CAIR, which I don't think was posted. It's a strong rebuke of the CAIR-MN stance. I recommend reading the full statement here, but I'm just going to post the rebuke portion of it here:

quote:

As the national headquarters of our civil rights and advocacy organization, we normally do not comment on local issues that arise in states with an existing CAIR chapter. However, we must sometimes speak up to clarify where our entire organization stands on local issues with national implications.

This is one of those times.

We are publishing this statement in order to explain how CAIR identifies Islamophobia and how we respond to the display of visual depictions of the Prophet Muhammad (may peace be upon him). This statement represents the sole official position of CAIR. Any past comments that do not align with this statement do not reflect our organization's stance.

quote:

Although we strongly discourage showing visual depictions of the Prophet, professors who analyze ancient paintings for an academic purpose are not the same as Islamophobes who show such images to cause offense.

Based on what we know up to this point, we see no evidence that former Hamline University Adjunct Professor Erika López Prater acted with Islamophobic intent or engaged in conduct that meets our definition of Islamophobia.

And it sounds like Hamline is quickly trying to backpedal their actions https://www.twincities.com/2023/01/17/adjunct-professor-sues-hamline-university-over-dismissal-amid-islamophobia-controversy/

quote:

In a joint statement Tuesday, President Miller and Board of Trustees Chairwoman Ellen Watters said the criticism of Hamline has “caused us to review and re-examine our actions.

“Hamline is a multi-cultural, multi-religious community that has been a leader in creating space for civil conversations. Like all organizations, sometimes we misstep,” the statement continued. “In the interest of hearing from and supporting our Muslim students, language was used that does not reflect our sentiments on academic freedom. Based on all that we have learned, we have determined that our usage of the term ‘Islamophobic’ was therefore flawed. We strongly support academic freedom for all members of the Hamline community.”

Hamline also announced it will host “two major conversations” in the coming months concerning academic freedom, religion and student care.

“We have learned much from the many scholars, religious leaders and thinkers from around the world on the complexity of displaying images of the Prophet Muhammad,” Miller and Watters said. “We have come to more fully understand the differing opinions that exist on this matter within the Muslim community. And, we welcome the opportunity, along with our students and the broader community, to listen and learn more. We, like our higher education partners, want to do more to show that academic freedom and student support are both integral to the very fabric of who we are.”

This comes, of course, after a lawsuit is being brought up by the adjunct professor.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

So far, it looks like Hamline is just backpedaling their words (calling her an Islamophobe), but not their actions (canceling her contract). So the lawsuit will likely continue, at least for now.

As a reminder, she's an adjunct professor, so Hamline didn't need to cancel anything. They just didn't sign her for a position in the spring semester. While smearing her name/how she taught, which is the reason for the lawsuit.

And based on the wording of President Miller, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't try to offer her an adjunct professor position again for the spring semester. Granted, she already accepted an offer to teach at Macalester...

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

jfc they did that to one of their own graduate students? I can imagine why the entire department faculty would be furious. This coupled with the explicit CAIR response makes me even more interested in what drove the initial setup.

edit: CAIR-MN is using it to harvest marketing lists. Interestingly, their staff page has gone down in the period since the press conference, as the rest of the site is still online.

And still no statement from CAIR-MN on Hamline since that CAIR statement, on either their website or social media. This definitely makes me think less of my state's chapter of them...

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

You seem to be having an awfully emotional reaction, which is exactly the intent that drives these kinds of misleading headlines.

What's even the "misleading" part of the headline? Sounds like you're the one assuming [All] in front of it, which isn't even implied, IMO.

On top of that, the author put the specific county where this is occurring in the very first sentence....

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

cat botherer posted:

Turns out the Biden administration granted more oil and gas drilling permits on BLM land in their first two years than the Trump administration:

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-granted-more-oil-and-gas-drilling-permits-than-trump-in-his-first-2-years-in-office-190528616.html

Yet another piece of evidence that no major party treats the climate crisis with any kind of seriousness. Really nothing is happening beyond performative nonsense as we barrel towards oblivion.

Trump's administration was trying to shrink BLM land, Biden's administration is doing things like this

quote:

The U.S. Interior Department on Thursday blocked mining in part of northeast Minnesota for 20 years, the latest blow to Antofagasta Plc's (ANTO.L) Twin Metals copper and nickel mining project but a step officials said is needed to protect the state's vast network of interconnected waterways.

While it's not a 100% comparable since it's not oil/gas, It's pretty obvious who has done more damage with regards to environmentalism.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 27, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

You can't think of how lives would be materially altered for the better with the abolition of the landlord class?

Huh? You do realize you’re talking about a country that’s trying to entice massive private investment in rental properties, right? Including from US companies, like Greystar

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

Global superpower states exist in an anarchic international system. Putin, Xi, and Biden all have their crusty black jackets with the circumscribed "A" patch on under their suits.

Now I'm imagining them in a crust punk band together. However, they only cover Anti-Flag songs.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

I am curious if anyone knows what Canada's thoughts are regarding this, since, from what I can tell, for some of these, Canada's air space has to have also been violated.

Trudeau had requested the US to shoot an object down a couple days ago: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/11/us/politics/unidentified-object-canada-alaska-pentagon.html

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

cover the disaster from the moment it happens, and speak about what happens in detail

the fact that this happens over a week after the fact makes my suspicion of a CYA attempt rise tenfold

How does making twitter statements immediately help make someone more accountable (or whatever you consider the inverse of CYA to be)? Versus, like in this case, waiting 10 days to release detailed information about what the NTSB's investigation has found thus far?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 14, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

You don't target the middle class, though? It's more like, "the richest classes have convinced you that work is something you do not to find meaning or fulfillment but only because you have to for basic survival, and having established it as something that critical they devalue your work more and more to derive extra productivity from you by withholding necessity that much further."

It's not that far off from what Bernie says all the time, but it's more rhetorical and heated and perhaps most importantly it feeds a confirmation bias in the majority of people that they are a victim. Look at the conservative discourse about media bias and how it never changes no matter how much CNN kowtows to them and you'll see that being told you're a victim is the easy way to votes.

It’s a hard idea to sell when those who make less than the middle class will literally need to pay more for essentials. If you think otherwise, I got a bridge to sell you…

Kalit fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 15, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

selec posted:

I don’t distrust all experts, but I’m definitely wary of a government that has repeatedly allowed what should be things it does well to turn into disasters. Our military runs around overseas losing wars, FEMA completely screws over disaster victims in situations like Katrina, the entire months-long debacle of messaging around COVID, it just goes on and on. It seems foolish to trust experts, when they tell me not to believe what I’m seeing.

There are experts I trust: the people in Iowa who talk about how unbelievably lovely our water quality is work in universities in this state. I can discern pretty easily who’s bullshitting and who’s not. But the official experts tell a different story. The ones who get hired have cultivated an acceptable public rhetoric, which is not the same as a truthful one. Those aren’t necessarily definitionally opposed rhetorical structures, but it seems more and more impossible to straddle that breach. Obama faked drinking that glass of water, which experts was he listening to when he did that? Truthful ones, or acceptable ones? Experts on what was really in that glass, or PR pros?

I am interested in discussion, I just feel like there’s an interesting and disturbing amount of conditional trust thrown around in our society when the idea of conditional trust is morally repellant to me. Trust or don’t, it makes things much clearer, from where I’m sitting. I don’t trust the government by default, and I believe that should be an acceptable position to take in a debate forum about the US, knowing what has been done in this country by the government to its citizens in the name of science, God or profit. Again: do the people of Flint owe the government their trust? Would you try to even convince them of that? Are they irrational because their lived experiences have shown them to be unimportant to the people in power, let down over and over again? I would love to hear an answer to this specific question, it’s no longer rhetorical.

Lastly, are you saying that discussions about political economy are off-limits? I don’t want to break the rules but “I’m a communist and I desire a different form of government” seems like it’s a reasonable position for an American to take considering Eugene Debs ran for president.

Edit:

And specifically to your point about accepting data or rhetoric from institutions that are ideologically opposed, yeah, everybody does that! We all have outlets or sources we inherently do not trust. I don’t go immediately check to see what the Heritage Foundation is saying about trans rights; I go to trans people. It’s not weird, it’s just seems weird because while CNN and Heritage Foundation and the EPA aren’t occupying the same rhetorical and ideological space, to a leftist they seem much closer together than they do to someone less left.

Why do you think that the government wouldn't be doing some of these same things if we were a communist society? Do you think that selfish interests of the government would occur at a significantly lower rate?

I'm definitely not a fan of capitalism, but issues such as the ones you're describing wouldn't be magically solved by implementing communism. TBH, I would recommend you start advocating for libertarianism. It seems more in line with the views you have been posting this past page or two.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 15, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

cat botherer posted:

Totally insignificant compared to the number of conservative/"just asking questions" columns. Just look at their roster of regular columnists, for one.

That's not what FlamingLiberal was trying to claim...

FlamingLiberal posted:

I believe so. It’s just very interesting how they hide behind ‘journalism’ and ‘airing both sides’ of an issue, but conveniently never have ardent Communists or other far-left people have prominent op-eds.

Like if you are just going to have open public debate in your paper then do it, but I’ve never heard of any far left people getting those kinds of prominent spots. However, it sure seems like they are perfectly willing to put war criminals and bigots in their paper.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

People want guns because they don't trust the police which isn't going to help when we start drawing ideological lines and then have to figure out how to enforce those lines.

I'm not sure I disagree with your overall point, but this part is 1000% bullshit. Gun owners overwhelmingly love the police.

If you don't believe this, here's a study showing that just 35% of gun owners even want to redirect police funding to social services: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9722519/. The same study found 44% of the overall populace wanting the same thing.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 21, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

I can't speak for the thread or All Americans but my awareness of concerns about rail safety go back to when all the people who work on the railroads got together and said "hey we're really concerned about rail safety" about three months ago

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the workers' demands focused mostly on paid time off/more flexible hours? I don't recall unsafe/unmaintained trains being a talking point during those negotiations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

haveblue posted:

The one leads to the other. The railway workers' point was that they are forced to work through medical and personal crises because there is no slack in the system. The companies schedule trains far in advance with the absolute minimum number of crews required by law, and they insist that the crews be present at the exact time and place the schedule dictates, with no redundancy and no one on standby. This means working individuals to the point of exhaustion, where they start to make mistakes, and when you make mistakes on maintaining or operating a train you get East Palestine and friends.

Of course safety includes not overworking people. That's why I specifically stated "unsafe/unmaintained trains" , since the discussion is revolving around the East Palestine derailment.
Which, as far as we know, wasn't human error. It seemed to be a lack of maintenance (or perhaps training) issue with the wheel and/or possibly the heat sensors.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 23, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

celadon posted:

What is so frustrating about this event is that had everything occurred exactly the same but under a Trump administration, with a Republican trifecta being the ones to break the rail strike, the reactions and demands of every entity left of center would be so different as to be unrecognizable.

It would not take Buttegeig ten days to make a response. AOC would have tweeted about it far more than a single RT five days after the event.

People being wary of returning to their homes would not be being framed as them lacking faith in the science of having an unfounded distrust of the EPA.

There would not be twitter threads of biologists confidently diagnosing a rainbow sheen as a biofilm off a lovely video nor would the reports of dead fish or animals be treated with such doubt.

Trump’s transportation secretary saying ‘actually this happens a thousand times a year’ would be treated as completely absurd.

There would essentially be a full throated and coordinated ‘we told you so’ from anyone even remotely aligned with union power.

This really could have been a moment where it was made clear that labor knows what needs to be done and that corporations cannot be trusted to govern themselves, that cost cutting directly harms the lives of people in every part of the country, that this is a warning sign for a dangerous rot in the heart of American infrastructure.

And on Earth-2 maybe it is.

But here the wrong guy pulled the trigger so everyone gets to sit around with their dick in their hands and talk around the issue until it mercifully falls out of the news.

Why do you think this? I really doubt it since I can point to the train derailment/evacuation in Hyndman that happened while Trump was in office. I don't recall any major reactions/demands from the "left of center". Searching tweets from AOC and Buttigieg, since you specifically singled them out, I see nothing referencing this soon after it occurred.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

plogo posted:

I agree that a lot of the attacks on Mayor Pete are misguided but it is also clear that he has not been doing a great job.

This is why Lina Khan's chief of staff is now Mayor Pete's chief of staff.

https://prospect.org/infrastructure/transportation/2023-01-18-anti-monopoly-reformer-jen-howard/

First of all, Jen Howard is not the DoT's chief of staff, Laura Schiller is. And I honestly have no idea what the "chief competition officer" position is, maybe someone else can enlighten me? It's not listed on the key officials page of the DoT.

Also, I'm confused on why you think hiring Howard indicates that Buttigieg is not doing a great job? I honestly don't have an opinion on his job performance. But based on that linked article, Howard seems like a really good hire

Kalit fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 24, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

plogo posted:

Because she would stay with Lina Khan if she wasn't needed to boost DoT, that is how I read it. And I agree that she is a good hire.

Huh, okay. Poaching another department's personnel because Biden's cabinet member is not performing well seems a lot more convoluted than simply firing/forcing the resignation of that cabinet member. Especially when it's not even for one of the top positions of the department.

I would just simply assume that Howard wanted the job/it's a better position career-wise for her.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

Pete's not just any cabinet member though. Biden owes him and n the party wants him to be the young face, preferred over various others for political reasons

So do you think that Howard was poached from the FTC to a non-key position within the DoT because Buttigieg is performing poorly in his role?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

I don't know that lady I just think the idea you raised that it would be simpler or more likely to fire Pete is patently absurd.

Replace that name with any government employee. Trying to read into the hiring of a non-key position within a department on how poorly the head of that department is performing is laughable

Kalit fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 24, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Here's an interesting article about rental prices (bolded sections mine for my comments after the quote):
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1630183513491120128

quote:

The new supply may already be having an impact. The share of apartment tenants who renewed leases declined in January to 52%, the lowest level for that month since 2018, according to property-management software company RealPage. The data suggests some tenants are finding better deals at other buildings.

“Renters facing lease renewals suddenly have a lot more options,” RealPage economist Jay Parsons said in a report. Landlords are likely to start dropping their renewal rents to prevent tenants from leaving, he added.

Shelter costs were up 7.9% in January compared with the same month a year earlier, according to the consumer-price index computed by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. But the impact of rent declines tends to lag behind what is expressed in the CPI. Many renters are in the middle of leases signed before recent price drops. That is one reason why the rising cost of rent reflected in the CPI shows annual price growth that is still higher than market measures, which track new leases.

Measured annually, rent growth remains positive, according to most data sources. But the pace of growth is decelerating, and if it continues to slow beyond winter, it would help pull down headline inflation figures, of which housing costs are a major component.

New-lease rent growth ranged from about 2% to 6% in January compared with one year prior, according to most market reports, down significantly from the pace of growth in early 2022. As more leases expire, analysts expect CPI figures to better reflect the lower costs of new leases.

In the months since August, new-lease rents have fallen most sharply in some of the nation’s biggest metro areas. Seattle rents have tumbled 8%, while rents in Boston and Las Vegas have fallen by 6%, according to Apartment List. Notably, none of the 52 largest metro areas tracked by the company saw positive rent growth over the period.

Rents for single-family homes, which had also increased sharply before last summer, now are stalling, too. The average national asking rent for a house rose just one buck in January, compared with December, to reach $2,070, according to data provider Yardi Matrix.

Apartment vacancies have risen since last fall, several reports show, due to weaker demand from potential renters. Fewer people are flocking to “Zoomtowns”—communities that experienced a spike in population from an influx of remote workers—such as Boise, Idaho, or Phoenix compared with earlier in the pandemic, a recent report from listing website Zumper notes.

Even after a 3.5% decline in new-lease rents since last summer, rents in many cities remain 20% or 30% higher than they were when the pandemic began. Rents in the Tucson, Ariz., Tampa, Fla., and Miami metro areas are all 35% higher than in March 2020, according to an Apartment List report.

“Renters are still having a tougher time than they were even a year-and-a-half ago,” said Chris Salviati, economist at Apartment List.

While rental prices overall are still higher than the start of the pandemic, especially in cities like Tuscon and Miami, it sounds like the mass building of new units are already having a positive impact. Things have been looking surprisingly well since August across the entire US as well, which is a nice relief. Hopefully this trend continues.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Boot and Rally posted:

The article mentions a "crush of new supply" but doesn't actually discuss it. Where is it being built?

Seems like it's spread out among medium/large cities in general. If we're looking across the country for rental apartment construction, looks like it's a 50 year high with the last handful of years still being the highest since the 80s: https://www.rentcafe.com/blog/rental-market/market-snapshots/apartment-construction-2022/. For specifically where it's being built, you can see the breakdown by city in the article.

For the metro I live in, the Twin Cities, we hit a 35 year high in 2021 for number of units added: https://www.axios.com/local/twin-cities/2022/10/25/apartments-fuel-twin-cities-housing-growth. Apartment unit permits here continued to climb in 2022 as well: https://www.startribune.com/a-dismal-2022-for-twin-cities-home-builders/600240988/

Kalit fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 27, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Cheesus posted:

I don't disagree, but in my experience it takes seasoning plus a large amount of fat and salt to reach "incredible" territory, let alone playing in the same ballpark as fast food.

While you'll probably want some salt for broccoli, throwing in some pepper, garlic, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast into it goes a long way

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

So Minnesota's governor has signed an executive order (modeled after a bill currently working its way through the state legislature) that's an extremely comprehensive set of trans rights protections.

I'm so glad we finally have a Democratic trifecta here. It's about time we got a breath of fresh air with the governor and legislature moving quickly. On top of this executive order, we also have marijuana legalization about to happen, additional abortion rights protection, driver's licenses for undocumented immigrants, and voting rights for formerly incarcerated people.

The sad thing is there was a decent chance we could have had a trifecta years ago. Unfortunately, voters weren't aware enough that the state GOP recruited candidates to run for pro-weed 3rd parties to peel away votes from the [pro-weed] DFL.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 10, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

House Republicans have released their demand list in order to raise the debt ceiling.

In addition to the bullet points in the tweet below, they are also asking for:

- Work requirements for SNAP and Medicaid.

- Capping all non-defense spending and implementing an automatic cut to future non-defense spending if no budget is passed.

- No cuts to defense spending.

- Repeal the tax increases in the IRA.

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1634208749584896001

I'm sure this will work as well for them as it did in 2013. You think by now they would just quickly raise the debt ceiling and claim as much credit as they can for it.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It sort of worked in 2011, so there's no reason not to be insane and try every year now.

Even if it didn't work in 2011, they would probably keep doing it just for the optics.

The optics worked out terribly for them in 2013. In case you forgot, they got blamed a lot more for it than the Democrats did. It was also probably a large part of why Republican leadership job approval went down to to 20%.

Here's Pew talking about it: https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2013/10/15/as-debt-limit-deadline-nears-concern-ticks-up-but-skepticism-persists/

quote:

Despite deep frustration with national conditions, the public’s views of Washington political leaders have shown only modest changes since before the government shutdown began. Approval ratings for President Obama (43% approve), Democratic congressional leaders (31%) and GOP leaders (20%) all are at or near all-time lows, yet are not substantially more negative than they were in early September, a month before the shutdown started.

Republicans continue to get more blame than the Obama administration for Washington’s fiscal policy stalemate, but the balance of opinion has not changed in the past week. In the new survey, 46% say Republicans are more to blame for the deadlock in Washington over the government shutdown and debt limit; 37% say the Obama administration is more to blame. A week ago, when the question asked just about responsibility for the government shutdown, the public said Republicans were more to blame, by 38% to 30%.

As this article points out, the balance of opinion for who to blame didn't change much over that week, but it substantially changed a few weeks prior from +3% R to +9% R:

Kalit fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 10, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It’s great that “the most left leaning president since FDR” killed a union strike of working class people less than six months ago is likely going to sign a bill that bails out the wealthy venture capitalists. It’s no wonder alleged sex pest Biden and rest of the Dems have no issue rubber stamping the will of the Supreme Court when it comes to destroying peoples lives.

TBH I haven’t been following this story too close, but why do you say that Biden is likely to sign a potential bailout bill for the wealthy VCs? I haven’t seen any White House statements regarding this, one way or the other, so far

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

cat botherer posted:

Thank you for defending the honor of the Wall Street Journal. I forgot that publishing a column doesn't confer any kind of implicit endorsement or reflect on the publication, because it is an opinion.

My mind is blown by this revelation. Before this, I never realized how pro-socialist the NYT is. But now I can point towards this opinion piece to show how much they hate capitalism. They even believe great points such as

quote:

Under capitalism, we’re forced to submit to the boss. Terrified of getting on his bad side, we bow and scrape, flatter and flirt, or worse — just to get that raise or make sure we don’t get fired.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 13, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Yes, you will note that the Opinion section is still selected within a narrow band of ideas that can be technically opposed to the masthead, but not to the fundamental ideals of the owners.

For instance, the Guardian is a transphobic paper and occasionally publishes pro-trans opinions, but it still only accepts that within a narrow idea of that and does not accept the idea that it is transphobic.

You sure about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Yes. They still continue to publish Transphobic content for more than the last 4 years. If they say "oh mea culpa, we were wrong about this" and then continue doing it, then yeah they never cared.

My point is that they posted an opinion piece that you said they wouldn't accept. Which seemingly goes against the argument at hand, which is whether or not opinion pieces represent the views of a news outlet in where its published.