Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

caelxii posted:

He will voice support the workers rights and unions in general, but this goes a bit too far so too bad gotta veto it.

I support the workers’ right to strike, but should taxpayers, including I remind you tax paying studio heads, be forced to support their decision to strike? No!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Beached Whale posted:

Do these people know about emulators or is there an appeal to playing on the original hardware like when you were a kid spending 12 hours a day in smash bros on summer break

Collecting is really just about owning the physical thing. Serious collectors would never stoop to using the things they collect

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

One time I had ten dollars burning a hole in my pocket and wanted some candy so I went and bought two bags of those little individually wrapped candies. Anyway this was before self checkout had gotten rolling so I just went trough the express lane and the cashier asked me what I was buying the candy for and I said I just wanted candy and she looked at me with derision and said oh that’s weird I figured you were having a party or something

I just kind of stammered that I just wanted to eat some candy and she repeated that it was weird

That scarred me pretty bad and now I go to self checkout whenever possible to avoid being judged for buying things

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

All of the grocery stores here have 2 cashier lanes and the rest self checkout. A ton of people lost their jobs when this change occurred. Luckily 1 job was created on each of the grocery stores when they hired an armed security guard to watch the self checkouts.

Where I live they started posting an armed security guard at the doors checking receipts, pissed me off because I couldn’t figure out why I had to wait in line to leave the store and then I had to go back for the receipt I hadn’t bothered to grab

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

I worked at a grocery store in 2005, 18 years ago, that rolled these hand scanners out. They gave up after a few months because people kept stealing the scanners, intentionally or not.

Dude I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve just walked away from a food cart with my food and also the buzzer that tells you your order is ready

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

You need to have small joys in your life no matter how old you are. I don’t ever see any robots to gently caress with but I would if I did. Also, no matter how old you get it’s still fun to push your loaded grocery cart through the parking lot and then jump up on the back and coast across the lot and have those near misses with parked cars

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Canned Sunshine posted:

A world where people have a sense of humor?

Maddest I’ve ever seen someone get was over joke underwear, dude’s face was bright red with veins popping out of his skull for hours, demanding very loudly “who bought this!” as he paced around shaking and agitated and even his friends were telling him to calm the gently caress down

This was way back when I was in the army, and we had this dickhead nco who had been a ranger but got kicked out to the regular army for some reason or another (usually it’s dui that this happens for, but in his case it wasn’t and nobody was clear on the why)

Anyway he was an absolute rear end in a top hat, just one of the worst people I’ve ever known, and I bought a pair of frilly black panties that had the ranger patch printed on them and left them as a gift for him, and he did not take it well, and I do not regret it

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

In 2007 my girlfriend's dad had a 1970s split level he paid for with his job making $55k as a phone tech at Sprint. His wife was making $35k baking bread on the overnight shift at Panera. They bought that split level for $80K in 2001 and just sold it for $390K last year.

Boy did we gently caress up by being born too late

You should have dumped your 2007 girlfriend for her dad

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

fart simpson posted:

you would have earned the same amount of money just dumping that $80k in the stock market

it’s basically 7% apr

Would of but I’ve yet to find a stock market with an en suite

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mycomancy posted:

Hello DoomEcon thread. Now that we're in the Holiday Taint, I thought it might be appropriate to predict what will happen in 2024.

I think 2024 is the year poo poo gets wild. Global temps are going to skyrocket, which I'm interpreting to lead to a major western crop failure. I also predict that Trump will get the Republican nod, but both him and Biden will die before the election, granting infinite lols and lmaos to us on this both dead and gay web forum.

Stop trying to talk yourself into believing that good things are possible

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

the passing of two kings means war, nothing less.

Really we just need Gavin newsom and djt jr to get married and unite the crown

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

loving kill me

Hey if they have “money dysphoria” there are simple steps to quickly transition to a more comfortable net worth

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Stereotype posted:

big grocery stores regularly threaten to abruptly close all their stores in an area if the municipal government does something they don't like which would create food deserts

Food deserts are an idiotic concept that mostly is used by industry to get fat tax credits to open a store in an area they think might be profitable but isn’t a sure bet

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Food deserts are a real thing but when you boil them down to what matters (convenience food predominates, cannot buy produce or ingredients to cook real meals) it ends up describing a lot of white areas and white people do not like that. You cannot reliably shop at Trader Joes to cook meals, their stock in trade is unhealthy convenience food. Don't tell Trader Joes superfans that they live in a food desert, they'll poo poo themselves.

Lmfao you could not be more wrong. The concept of a food desert is grocery store corporations looking for public subsidies to build stores in areas that are marginal but might be profitable but they aren’t certain enough to want to pull the trigger

On the list of reasons that people in very poor communities don’t home cook healthy meals on a nightly basis (which is actually false to begin with, plenty do), and the ones who don’t it’s because 1. they don’t own pots and pans and cooking implements, 2. they are the product of intergenerational trauma who never got taught how to prepare food by their parents or at school, 3. they spend so much time commuting to and from and at lovely abusive employment that they don’t have the energy or bandwidth to bother with making an extra stop at the grocery store and then also doing the work 4. the appliances in their rental don’t work, or the utilities are off because :america: 5. on a simple calories to effort and cost basis lovely food makes more sense in the short term

None, absolutely none, of these issues are solved by giving Safeway a massive property tax break to open a new store on the very gentrifying edge of the area that’s been deemed a food desert

People move around fine. For work, for fun, for family obligations, the poorest people in LA and Memphis and Chicago and other places food deserts are a huge cause, they can figure out how to get around town. It’s not the specific location of the corporate food retailer, it’s just fifty other things we’d rather not address

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 04:42 on Dec 27, 2023

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

You are rebutting an argument I didn't make

Actually yeah after rereading it I think it’s possible I did, but my point stands so I’m not sorry

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

RadiRoot posted:

i only eat out of season vegetables from the opposite side of the planet

My last girlfriend was a vegan and I very shittily said this exact thing to her in our big breakup fight and yeah

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah I think so, but not as hot as container shipping is gonna make the planet!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What the gently caress is going on.

It was a joke and not a real anecdote of that helps at all :shrug:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

palindrome posted:

I'm a little bit morbidly curious about the "tax reasons" he has for not marrying his partner of 30+ years. I understand there can be edge cases where there are narrow bands of income where it's better to file as two individuals rather than jointly, but it's rare and I doubt it would be true over your entire adult life. On the other hand tax talk is very boring and I'm 100% sure this guy thinks he knows more about the US tax system than he actually does, by nature of being an economist.

If I’m remembering correctly the alternative minimum tax hits at a later threshold for individuals than it does for married couples filing separately. I’ll be damned if I want to look up where the lines are currently (because I have no reason to care about them) but for example if a individual threshold were at $250000 then it would be $500000 for married couples filing jointly but only $200000 each for married couples filing separately, so at certain points if you for whatever reason want to be filing separately rather than jointly, there would be reasons to not be married at all. I think. But also the alternative rate is only on income above the threshold. This is all from memory from a few years ago when I had reason to look into it so I could just be misremembering, but I think that’s it

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shageletic posted:

I mean I think you're right in general but according to Anderson

He is a multi millionaire tho.

It’s probably all he got directly but there’s also probably money stashed all over the place that is just sitting there growing that he could access if he needed to

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

she'd never do it, she despises DC publicy garbage

So the rumors and conventional wisdom claim, but if I know anything about these ghouls it’s that their personal feelings and ambitions rarely align with their carefully curated public persona

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Last time this came up, midwesterners disagreed that they share a culture with the Yankees, despite those areas being settled by New Englanders who went through the Hudson Valley.

lol I never noticed before that it split the Alaska panhandle from the rest of Alaska

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I didn’t know that meme and now I know that meme

Tyfys

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Yeti’s have more variety, Stanley cup is too big

So big you need a loving Stanley steamer to clean the bitch

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

holy poo poo

holy poo poo

guys

this is the company I got laid off from lmao

Drizzly or Uber?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

Honestly this layoff was an exhausting, harrowing ordeal, but the silver lining is that if I hadn't gotten laid off, I would have to work for Uber now. gently caress that

Silver linings

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

lol goondolences. sounded like you were gone one way or another so probably good you got-got earlier instead of today.

Does weed delivery make money? I know in Oregon the whole recreational weed industry is teetering on collapse because we can’t export anything to other states and there’s such a glut in production nobody can make money if they aren’t diverting to the black market

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

UPS is happy to deliver liquor where I live

Alcohol delivery is state by state (thanks 21st amendment!) so some states you can do it through UPS and some you have to ship it to a state run liquor store for the buyer to come pick up

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

ehhhhhhh idk. there's been various weed delivery startups around, some high-flying profile ones that have crashed and burned (like Eaze). there's a various rotating list of something new once and awhile but they don't seem to be doing very well. so i'd take an estimated guess and say: no.

lol quoted the wrong post but yeah I think you’re right

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

blatman posted:

lmao if you actually remember which usernames posted what instead of just getting increasingly confused any time someone who posts good gets an av change

I don’t remember usernames so much as avs. When you get your av changed you’re as good as a rereg as far as I can tell

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I was watching some episode of House Hunters International in Amsterdam or one of those european cities with a shitload of bike infrastructure and they had the agent driving around the hunters in some sort of golf cart like ride that apparently can use bike lanes. That's how you get more bike lanes in America.

As much as they annoy me the electric scooters help with this too I think

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Isn’t numbers rereg guy using credit card fraud like charge backs or some poo poo, or are they actually paying for each account? Also somebody recently said it was Alec Eiffle but that doesn’t feel right to me

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Consider this, there’s probably a billionaire out there whose penis is entirely gone because they tried a black market organ transplant and they’re too embarrassed to admit it

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

the secret is:

* build up a cash reserve while you're still working

* apply for medicaid once your income has dropped under $19k

(assets aren't counted toward medicaid eligibility & non-retirement savings don't count as income)

sure, you'll get hosed by inflation, but not as hosed as being forced to buy crap insurance you can't afford to use.

Medicaid is state by state but a lot of states have very tight asset caps. Oregon’s is $2000 (with exclusions for car and home). Looks like California doesn’t, and even when it did it was very high

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

euphronius posted:

it reminds me of the people who refuse raises worried about being in a higher tax bracket

I’ve heard people give it as a reason their boss talked them out of a raise even (lmfao)

What’s far loving sadder are people who really should have turned down a raise or more hours to avoid falling off some means tested benefits cliff

Which means tested benefits cliffs are funny because we know how to phase out benefits. Every single benefit that phases out at high income (student loan interest deduction for example) is carefully constructed to slowly phase out to make sure the beneficiary never falls off a cliff

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Maed posted:

i don't believe there's such thing as a train license so yeah, they train you

Wanna know for real where you learn how to be a locomotive driver? Training :D

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

actionjackson posted:

i know prices are high but I would really need to see a receipt for that

Airport maybe? Even then yeah

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

skooma512 posted:

FCC only exists to make sure people don't say gently caress on TV and to bust people broadcasting over top of the ads on AM/FM.

Fondly remembering the sealab 2021 pirate radio episode

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

coders aren''t engineers

Are you an engineer flowchart. Do you drive a locamotive? Y/N

Yes: you are an engineer
No: you are something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I guess I’m cool with crane operators being engineers too, if everyone else is. But other than that